PDA

View Full Version : Another Stray Cat Finds A Home

red states rule
12-28-2010, 03:38 AM
About 4 months ago another stray cat found its way to my house. I fed it, gave it shelter, but unlike many strays it wanted more

It was very loving and wanted attention. When I went out in the morning to fill the food bowl it ran up to me, meowing, and rubbing up against my leg. When I came home it ran out and greeted me

I knew this was not a stray but someone had to have dumped her

Well, I asked around at work and after a couple of months a coworker siad she would take her

I took her in to make sure she would use the litter box and boy did she use it. It was like she was digging an escape tunnel

She is now doing fine, and has taken over part of the house

Here is "Josie"

and I got a great Christmas present - another stray cat off the streets

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j379/titantic11/mommycatandvacationpics034.jpg

red states rule
12-28-2010, 04:48 AM
The only issue she told be about with Josie is she is using one of her antique headboards as a scratching post

I told her I would be more then willing to chip in to get her declawed as well as dixed - but she refused the offer and said none of her cats are declawed

darin
12-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Not a fan of de-clawing cats. Seems cruel to me. Our cats - previous cats - scratched a lot until we got them a couple mats/posts they enjoyed.

red states rule
12-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Not a fan of de-clawing cats. Seems cruel to me. Our cats - previous cats - scratched a lot until we got them a couple mats/posts they enjoyed.

Darin nobody loves cats more then I do, and there have never been any bad side efffects with mine when I had them declawed

The baby of the family - Herbie - was the best example. When I brought him home from getting fixed and declawed (in the front only BTW) within 30 minutes he had taken off the bandages on his front paws and was chaisng the other cats around the house

darin
12-29-2010, 06:44 AM
have you researched declawing?

chloe
12-29-2010, 08:32 AM
I live in the country and my mostly cats go outside I have 3 cats myself but I don't have any of them declawed. A couple of times something has attacked two of my cats. I want my cats to be able to claw and protect themselves.

darin
12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

red states rule
12-30-2010, 03:53 AM
http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

Darin, I have no doubt there are bad vets and have been some botched operations - but I grew up with cats and they were all declawed

I have never had any problems with my vet - in fact she even took one of cats home with her over the weekend to nurse her back to health

All I know is, there were no issues with getting them declawed and as you can see from the pics of them - they are healthy

darin
12-30-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm not doubting your love for the cats or your sincerity, but have you asked the cats? Did you read the link I posted? Just no positive aspects to removing the toes of a cat. :(

Abbey Marie
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
We adopted one from a shelter, who was already front-declawed. that gave us all of the benefits without the guilt. She has been just the coolest cat ever. Her front paws look under-developed to me, and she has always had a hard time jumping up. I think the small paws make her feel unsure of herself. I didn't read the article yet- is that one of the side-effects?

red states rule
01-03-2011, 05:00 AM
We adopted one from a shelter, who was already front-declawed. that gave us all of the benefits without the guilt. She has been just the coolest cat ever. Her front paws look under-developed to me, and she has always had a hard time jumping up. I think the small paws make her feel unsure of herself. I didn't read the article yet- is that one of the side-effects?

All the front paws on my cats look normal - no side effects from the operation

It could the quality of the vet I have - who knows.

red states rule
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Got an email from Josie's new Mom and things are going great

She went to the vet for another booster shot, has gained a pound and is scheduled to spayed 2/4. She is now coming to sleep w/me and has started venturing downstairs. Josie is very content and has no bad behavior issues.

namvet
01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
here's how I solved the claw issue

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2s822wi.jpg