PDA

View Full Version : So Next Week It's A New House

Kathianne
12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
As it looks right now, changes on the way:

Dems rip proposed rule giving new power to GOP Budget chairman - The Hill's On The Money (http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/135451-budget-skirmish-starts-over-ryan-rule)

Dems rip proposed rule giving new power to GOP Budget chairman
By Erik Wasson - 12/30/10 05:23 PM ET

A proposed House rule granting new powers to the GOP chairman of the Budget Committee has sparked outrage from Democrats.

The proposed rule would allow the Budget Committee chairman to set spending ceilings for 2011 without a vote by the full House. By approving the rules package, the House would give authority to the new Budget panel chairman to set budget ceilings at a later time and his decision would not be subject to an up-or-down vote on the floor.

In practice, this would give power to Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), the incoming chairman of the panel, to impose deep spending cuts since spending bills cannot exceed the budget ceiling for the 2011 fiscal year.

The House is set to vote on the rule soon after it convenes on Jan. 5.

Democrats argue the provision would give unilateral power to Ryan and flies in the face of GOP promises of transparency.

"Allowing incoming Chairman Ryan to have unilateral power to set spending limits — instead of subjecting those limits to a vote on the floor of the House — flies in the face of promises by House Republicans to have the most transparent and honest Congress in history,” said Doug Thornell, spokesman for incoming House Budget Committee ranking member Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), in an e-mailed statement...

The House that passed the tax deal was not the 'new house,' but the old.

Time will tell if the new House is overplaying its hand. Right now it seems they are hearing the people want spending brought under control.

Gaffer
12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh, those behind the door, no republicans allowed, we have to pass it so you can see what's in it, transparent dems. Yeah right.

Kathianne
12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh, those behind the door, no republicans allowed, we have to pass it so you can see what's in it, transparent dems. Yeah right.

Goes without saying that I don't agree with nearly anyone with a (D) following their name nowadays, but it was disconcerting how the Republicans chose the lame duck session to go all compromising.

Now they will be judged, both on who they pick for leadership rolls in committees and how they finally govern. I'm not looking for miracles, but am looking for real attempts at changing what is going on in DC.

Gaffer
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
yeah, I am too. I want to see real change and they better knuckle down. I don't want compromise. There's been way too much of that, it's why we are in the situation we are now.

Kathianne
12-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Yep, this says a lot:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/ten-political-flash-points-for-2011/?singlepage=true

Ten Political Flash Points for 2011
Expect fights over veto power, the debt ceiling, budget cuts, transparency, and the endangered career of Eric Holder. Ready?
December 30, 2010 - by Richard Pollock

Next year, expect the 112th Congress and the Obama White House to be locked in battles over spending rollbacks, budget limits, the deficit ceiling, entitlements, monetary policy, and the “de-funding” of federal programs. Expect a year of oversight hearings with striking revelations, subpoenas, and dramatic confrontations with the White House. The new incoming Tea Party class in the House and Senate understand they can claim a mandate from the November elections, and in the next year, Washington’s political ground zero will be over money.

Here are ten flash points to expect in 2011:

Obama Governs by Executive Power

Having lost large majorities in both houses of Congress, expect Obama to deploy his considerable executive powers. A glimpse of what to expect occurred near Christmas as the administration unilaterally issued three new regulatory rulings governing the Internet, greenhouse emissions, and federal wilderness areas. These actions taken by the Federal Communications Commission, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Interior Department exhibited raw regulatory power.

The FCC action defied a federal court. The EPA greenhouse ruling came even as the Senate voted last June to deny the agency power to issue rules over climate change. The Interior Department administratively reversed Bush-era rules on limiting wilderness protection.

This is exactly the strategy progressive activists want the president to pursue...

Gaffer
12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
It's the executive power that will cause a revolution in this country. When congress says no and he does it anyway, the shots will be fired. He's got two years to consolidate his power and abolish congress. And if he has the chance he will do exactly that through martial law.

Mr. P
12-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Obama Governs by Executive Power

Having lost large majorities in both houses of Congress, expect Obama to deploy his considerable executive powers. A glimpse of what to expect occurred near Christmas as the administration unilaterally issued three new regulatory rulings governing the Internet, greenhouse emissions, and federal wilderness areas. These actions taken by the Federal Communications Commission, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Interior Department exhibited raw regulatory power.

The FCC action defied a federal court. The EPA greenhouse ruling came even as the Senate voted last June to deny the agency power to issue rules over climate change. The Interior Department administratively reversed Bush-era rules on limiting wilderness protection.

This is exactly the strategy progressive activists want the president to pursue...
LIBERALS love a DICTATOR. The rest of the country votes BUT will act to retain a Republic if need be.

Kathianne
12-31-2010, 11:46 AM
LIBERALS love a DICTATOR. The rest of the country votes BUT will act to retain a Republic if need be.

That's my hope! Quite related to this post: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?30326-Progressiveism-New-and-Old

Joe Steel
12-31-2010, 04:34 PM
This is an outrage. It is a perversion of the power declared for the House to serve the arrogance of the Republican Party. If Americans needed more evidence of the utter disdain Republicans have for representative democracy, this is it.

BoogyMan
12-31-2010, 05:33 PM
This is an outrage. It is a perversion of the power declared for the House to serve the arrogance of the Republican Party. If Americans needed more evidence of the utter disdain Republicans have for representative democracy, this is it.

Sounds as if someone sees the writing on the wall and does not appreciate the inevitability of the coming spending cuts.

fj1200
01-01-2011, 01:10 AM

You would prefer the budget resolution process to bypass a cloture vote in the Senate perhaps? Or would you prefer that they deem the budget passed in a different bill?

SassyLady
01-01-2011, 05:29 AM

What a hoot you are!
:laugh2::laugh2:

Joe Steel
01-01-2011, 09:10 AM
By what perversion of democratic principles can the power to spend be ceded legitmately to a single individual?

fj1200
01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
By what perversion of democratic principles can the power to spend be ceded legitmately to a single individual?

By what perversion of democratic principles can the power to takeover an industrial giant be ceded to a single individual? Congress will vote on the budget, who voted on the GM takeover?

revelarts
01-01-2011, 03:28 PM
As crummy a set-up that it its, I'd prefer that there is an open vote about such things. That's to much power for one guy.

Spending needs to reigned in of course but a Budget cap CZAR that has the power to cap at his or her will doesn't sound like an answer we can live with long term.

Obama using the executive privileged to "write law" is bad enough.

Joe Steel
01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
By what perversion of democratic principles can the power to takeover an industrial giant be ceded to a single individual? Congress will vote on the budget, who voted on the GM takeover?

What a bizarre comment! How could you possibly have come to that conclusion?

fj1200
01-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Don't exactly have a firm grasp of past events do you?

Kathianne
01-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Joe is from an alternate reality.

fj1200
01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
^Are you sure there's even reality there?

Kathianne
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
^Are you sure there's even reality there?

No.

red states rule
01-04-2011, 03:48 AM

http://www.newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/cartoon_500/cartoons/payn110103_02_cmyk.jpg

red states rule
01-04-2011, 03:50 AM

and yet look at your reaction to the results of the election where the voters rejected tax and spend big government liberalism

red states rule
01-06-2011, 05:29 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/sbr010611dAPR20110105054556.jpg

gabosaurus
01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I am looking forward to it. I am already lobbying for education reform. If the feds can bail out private banks and businesses, why not the public education system. I get to fly to Washington at the end of the month (the govt is even paying for it).

fj1200
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I am already lobbying for education reform.

So you're going to lobby for vouchers and increasing use of charter schools?

Cool. :cool:

red states rule
01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I am looking forward to it. I am already lobbying for education reform. If the feds can bail out private banks and businesses, why not the public education system. I get to fly to Washington at the end of the month (the govt is even paying for it).

So are you going to ask to shut down the Department of Education so local and state governments will have more control of the schools, and are you demanding to hold teachers accountable for their performance?

Or are you going to demand more money which is the usual anser libs have when they "lobby" on most issues

fj1200
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
So are you going to ask to shut down the Department of Education so local and state governments will have more control of the schools, and are you demanding to hold teachers accountable for their performance?

Or are you going to demand more money which is the usual anser libs have when they "lobby" on most issues

Those would be cool too, I'm really seeing some positive changes coming about from her trip to DC. :thumb:

SassyLady
01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
It is galling that the government pays people's way to come ask for more money.

gabosaurus
01-08-2011, 06:19 PM
This forum can always be counted on the be the Department of Misinformation on so many issues.
Education should be at top of list for increased funding. Since it involves our country's No. 1 resource, which is our children. Public education should be our top priority. Without our children, there is no future for this country.

My top request is that the government discontinue any and all funding for private schools. By their very nature, private schools should find their own funding. The Bush administration wasted a lot of money with grants to religious schools.
Congress has been very receptive to improvements in public education. At the present time, state budget shortfalls had led to grievous cuts in public schools. I would like to see the feds step in with more aid to schools, the distribution of which would fall under the jurisdiction of state and local governments.

What funding needs to be cut? Start with all the pork-filled grants that benefit lobbyists. Especially those to drug and energy companies. And those companies who export their work overseas to lower costs, which results in the loss of American jobs.
And, of course, the bloated defense industry. How many military bases exist only because they are protected by members of Congress? How many useless weapons contracts are issued because of well-paid lobbyists and contractors? How much fat is there in the Pentagon and the military hierarchy?

Of course, Republicans are against improvements in education. Because more educated people means fewer Republicans.

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Bottom line, all payments from fed to states regarding education should end. All.

Abolish Dept of Education and any ancillaries.

fj1200
01-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Well my hopes and dreams for your lobbying efforts to TRULY help the schools and our most precious resource, our children, have been dashed on the rocks of your desire to continue the failed liberal policies of the past. Therefore I shall use my lobbying efforts with the federal government to abolish public schools in this country, except those that are subject to competition and are supported by the actual desire of parents to have their children attend the schools. I figure that will provide a better outcome for those least among us to be able CHOOSE schools that must perform rather than fill the requirement of housing kids for 7 hours a day.

Missileman
01-09-2011, 12:43 AM
This forum can always be counted on the be the Department of Misinformation on so many issues.
Education should be at top of list for increased funding. Since it involves our country's No. 1 resource, which is our children. Public education should be our top priority. Without our children, there is no future for this country.

My top request is that the government discontinue any and all funding for private schools. By their very nature, private schools should find their own funding. The Bush administration wasted a lot of money with grants to religious schools.
Congress has been very receptive to improvements in public education. At the present time, state budget shortfalls had led to grievous cuts in public schools. I would like to see the feds step in with more aid to schools, the distribution of which would fall under the jurisdiction of state and local governments.

What funding needs to be cut? Start with all the pork-filled grants that benefit lobbyists. Especially those to drug and energy companies. And those companies who export their work overseas to lower costs, which results in the loss of American jobs.
And, of course, the bloated defense industry. How many military bases exist only because they are protected by members of Congress? How many useless weapons contracts are issued because of well-paid lobbyists and contractors? How much fat is there in the Pentagon and the military hierarchy?

Of course, Republicans are against improvements in education. Because more educated people means fewer Republicans.

You can make a massive improvement to public education in one easy step and it won't cost a cent...disband all teacher's unions and make it illegal from this day forward for teachers to unionize.

red states rule
01-09-2011, 03:27 AM
It is galling that the government pays people's way to come ask for more money.

It is called stimulus money