PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year To All of You!

Kathianne
12-31-2010, 09:13 PM
I did my best to spread some 2011 rep around, hope I caught you. If not, send post here, I'll try and catch you.

Nearly 8 pm and I've walked the dog, cleaned the kitchen. The house looks good. Going to put this baby up for sale next week, if it will bring in more than I owe. If not, dammit, they can foreclose. LOL!

It's been a wild year. I never lost a job in my 55 years until last June. Considering my hearing, not so shabby. Why now? Why me? I guess, why not?

All of my kids, even the youngest are now on their own, the oldest getting married on October 2 of the new year. If I don't find a job soon, look for a fund raiser for mother of the bride dress. :laugh2: However, my real job is done, so what happens, happens.

I've learned a lot this year, lesson likely most others learn much earlier. Family and friends are our rocks. We need them like seeds need the rains and sun.

I've learned that private charities work better than government programs. Okay, I did know that intuitively. I've learned it now from real experience. My SIL's mother sent me a turkey for Christmas, knowing that I was having a tough time. It came from her church, which I'm quite certain she didn't want me to know, but they sent me a letter wishing me well. I've sent them a thank you for making it possible for me to host our Christmas dinner. If they post it, I'll probably get a call. I'll thank her.

Since June I've spent hundreds of hours filling out applications for teaching positions and any full-time openings I can find. I've sent more than 300 applications for part-time employment, mostly in the past 3 months that I've been substituting most weeks 5 days a week. No luck.

I did found that I'm penalized for working so much. Between taxes and union fees I make about $23 per week more than on unemployment. By working 2 days a week, I keep what I earn and collect all of my unemployment. 3 days a week, I make $80 for the day and lose $10 in unemployment. More than that, I lose the unemployment. We're talking over $300 per week v $23 per week.

It's a dilemma. I'd prefer to work 5 days a week, but I have this mortgage. Once the house sells, I'll do just that. But I can't now. So I'll keep working for finding a part-time job to supplement so I can get off, until then got to pay the piper. If I get interviews, I'll explain what happens when on unemployment.

Enough of downer time. What has been terrific in my life is that my kids are thriving. I really know now who are my friends and how much my family, nuclear and extended care. I've also found that many companies have hearts, if one is honest in how they came to where they are. Of course it's a good thing if your credit was great before Satan hit! ;)

The tea parties give me hope, that we will climb out of this mess. I doubt that the GOP will gladly go along, but I think they may do so with much squealing.

Anyways to all of you, a very Happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year! Welcome, 2011. May you bring much better tidings than 2010!

jimnyc
01-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Can't believe I somehow missed this last night...

Happy New Year to you too, Kath, and to the rest of our members here at DP!!

Abbey Marie
01-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Happy New Year Kathianne, and I hope it is a much better year for you and for everyone here at DP. And thanks so much for all the enlightening articles, etc., you have posted over the year. :salute:

OldMercsRule
01-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Happy New Year, and best fer 2011. JR

red states rule
01-03-2011, 05:17 AM
I hope eveyones New Year was better then mine. Spent the weekend in bed with a cold.

I was drunk on Nyquil snd slept most of the weekend

Off to work this morning even though I still have the cold

The section I work in sounds like the cancer ward of the local hospital with everyone coughing and hacking

Oh well, happy new year to all!!

Kathianne
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I hope eveyones New Year was better then mine. Spent the weekend in bed with a cold.

I was drunk on Nyquil snd slept most of the weekend

Off to work this morning even though I still have the cold

The section I work in sounds like the cancer ward of the local hospital with everyone coughing and hacking

Oh well, happy new year to all!!

Actually other than the Nightquil, sounds a lot like my weekend. Sorry you're sick. I couldn't work today, can't be up in front of a bunch of kids with uncontrollable dry hacking and nose blowing. Oh no!

red states rule
01-04-2011, 03:44 AM
Actually other than the Nightquil, sounds a lot like my weekend. Sorry you're sick. I couldn't work today, can't be up in front of a bunch of kids with uncontrollable dry hacking and nose blowing. Oh no!

I am feeling much better this morning Kathianne - I hope you are as well