PDA

View Full Version : What am I looking for?

jimnyc
05-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm sure there are at least a few wondering as to why I want to tighten things up around here. Again, this isn't about censoring anyone or their points of view, but rather to enhance the board for everyone.

I've received quite a few PM's over the past month with people disappointed in the way the board has become. A few great members have left completely, and others don't post as much. This is not good. While I expect there to be some animosity and feuding, it should never reach a level to where good members feel the need to leave.

Please, continue the debates, get heated if you feel like it, just don't make it too personal. I want an adult atmosphere for intelligent people to debate without restriction, but also want to keep respectability for the board as well.

Mr. P
05-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Well Jim, total freedom results in anarchy. Some folks on the net, have no intention of being involved on a site except to disrupt, total freedom just doesn't work. IMO

Dilloduck
05-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Well Jim, total freedom results in anarchy. Some folks on the net, have no intention of being involved on a site except to disrupt, total freedom just doesn't work. IMO

Agreed-----some basic guidelines that EVERYONE must follow are a necessity to accomplish what I think you and others would like to see here.

LiberalNation
05-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Anarchy rules on the net as long as your not a thin skinned cry-baby.

manu1959
05-06-2007, 12:06 PM
well said you three........ln is not one of the three i was refering to.......

Dilloduck
05-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Maybe in some places but it doesn't have to here. Jim can easily police the site if people aren't willing to discipline themselves.

Abbey Marie
05-06-2007, 12:37 PM

There is a difference between being unable to handle low-class epithets because of your sensitivities, and not wanting to waste your time or lower your standards reading them. You may someday understand this.

LiberalNation
05-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't use a lot of vulgarity, some do, and them doing it doesn't hurt me. You don't hafta read it ya know.

darin
05-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't use a lot of vulgarity, some do, and them doing it doesn't hurt me. You don't hafta read it ya know.

It's the staff's responsibility to CONTROL it, however. :)

Fountainhead
05-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Just curious. Your avatar is the international ANARCHISTS symbol.

Wouldn't ARARCHISTS eschew any symbol or identification that associated them with a specific movement ?

Doesn't the use of such a identifying SYMBOL argue against the very notion of ANARCHISM ?

Seems quite laughable to me.

Perhaps you should consider changing your symbol repeatedly ... so that no-one really knows what you are or what you believe. Kinda like P-Diddy, or Diddy, or Master P, or whatever it calls itself now

LiberalNation
05-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Anarchy ceases to be anarchy when anarchist make it into a movement and organize it I agree. I just like the symbol and some of the ideas behind it even tho if put in to practice in full it would be totally impractical and not possible.

Said1
05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Just curious. Your avatar is the international ANARCHISTS symbol.

Wouldn't ARARCHISTS eschew any symbol or identification that associated them with a specific movement ?

Doesn't the use of such a identifying SYMBOL argue against the very notion of ANARCHISM ?

Seems quite laughable to me.

Perhaps you should consider changing your symbol repeatedly ... so that no-one really knows what you are or what you believe. Kinda like P-Diddy, or Diddy, or Master P, or whatever it calls itself now

Leave her alone. She's Liberalicious. She puts the L to the I to the B to the E-R-A-L. Crap. Now I have to start over. The L to I to the E to R......:laugh2:

Roomy
05-06-2007, 04:59 PM
You do realise that if the board is run as you wish, several more members would be forced to leave or change their style completely, I include me, I could make a long list of the others I can see in the catchment criteria and it does include at least 1 mod.:cool:
As you know, I am easy to keep in line, others I am not so sure about, having said that, I don't think I would want them to change, If they did, I couldn't trust their sentiment anymore.What is wrong with the cage?Most times we keep it there or are happy for it to be moved there, why try to force political debate when the constituents couldn't give a fuck so long as the bells and whistles work?

darin
05-06-2007, 05:05 PM
You do realise that if the board is run as you wish, several more members would be forced to leave or change their style completely, I include me, I could make a long list of the others I can see in the catchment criteria and it does include at least 1 mod.:cool:
As you know, I am easy to keep in line, others I am not so sure about, having said that, I don't think I would want them to change, If they did, I couldn't trust their sentiment anymore.What is wrong with the cage?Most times we keep it there or are happy for it to be moved there, why try to force political debate when the constituents couldn't give a fuck so long as the bells and whistles work?

The members who would leave, if they don't change their style, would be welcome - CELEBRATED? in their departure. This isn't an option - Jim and we will run the board how we see fit. (note period.) If people don't LIKE it, they'd be welcome to leave. We see the board now, lately, going downhill very quickly - not a direction we'd like. Jim's policies are the the betterment of the board, as a whole.

Roomy
05-06-2007, 05:10 PM
The members who would leave, if they don't change their style, would be welcome - CELEBRATED? in their departure. This isn't an option - Jim and we will run the board how we see fit. (note period.) If people don't LIKE it, they'd be welcome to leave. We see the board now, lately, going downhill very quickly - not a direction we'd like. Jim's policies are the the betterment of the board, as a whole.

Have you set a date then?

Said1
05-06-2007, 05:14 PM

Don't fret. I'm back.

darin
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Have you set a date then?

I tied a date to the funding package I proposed to Jim - He veto'd it. :(

Abbey Marie
05-06-2007, 06:31 PM

But you support the troops, right? :coffee:

Roomy
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Shame, forsooth.Whatever will you do now, all those fingers and no buttons to press:laugh2:

Fountainhead
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Anarchy ceases to be anarchy when anarchist make it into a movement and organize it I agree. I just like the symbol and some of the ideas behind it even tho if put in to practice in full it would be totally impractical and not possible.

Wow ! A rational, reasoned Anarchist. I'm impressed. I'll bet I might even enjoy having a beer with you, and discussing our radical differences.

PS ... I agree with you. The A-symbol is really kewl graphic arts. A very memorable icon. The best of minds of Madison Avenue would be jealous.

Fountainhead
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Leave her alone. She's Liberalicious. She puts the L to the I to the B to the E-R-A-L. Crap. Now I have to start over. The L to I to the E to R......:laugh2:

I'm new here, and I had no idea that LiberalNation was a SHE ... let alone ... Liberalicious ! Yummy !

Does she swing both ways ?

Mr. P
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm new here, and I had no idea that LiberalNation was a SHE ... let alone ... Liberalicious ! Yummy !

Does she swing both ways ?

And 17 too. :laugh2:

diuretic
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm sure there are at least a few wondering as to why I want to tighten things up around here. Again, this isn't about censoring anyone or their points of view, but rather to enhance the board for everyone.

I've received quite a few PM's over the past month with people disappointed in the way the board has become. A few great members have left completely, and others don't post as much. This is not good. While I expect there to be some animosity and feuding, it should never reach a level to where good members feel the need to leave.

Please, continue the debates, get heated if you feel like it, just don't make it too personal. I want an adult atmosphere for intelligent people to debate without restriction, but also want to keep respectability for the board as well.

A bit of biff between posters is to be expected no? I give a bit of biff so I expect some back. What really makes me annoyed is when a poster goes after another and just attacks in the most personal manner. It's like watching a nasty divorce. Unwarranted. But - as I say, a bit of heated opposition or even the odd slur is no big deal, well for me at least.

Fountainhead
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
And 17 too. :laugh2:

Jimmy Buffet sang " ... 15'll get you 20 ..."

Will 17 get me on an NBC hidden cam ? Not worth the risk

emmett
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey, I got an idea!

Pardon my interuption,

Everyone could just act like adults!!!!! Nah! That will never work.

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Nope.

diuretic
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey, I got an idea!

Pardon my interuption,

Everyone could just act like adults!!!!! Nah! That will never work.

Ahem....I have to do that in real life. Here I can unleash my inner brat :dance: :cheers2: :laugh2: