PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new desktop - opinions on this?

darin
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Budget-wise...just need something to run solidly while i'm deployed - something for the family.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6336134&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=25-17299126-2

jimnyc
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
That is the EXACT machine I bought from Tiger about 3-4 months ago, 'cept mine only has 4gig of memory instead of the 6 on that deal. I'm finding the I5 processor to be awesome and it barely heats up even when I beat the hell out of my machine. Mine is also the Gateway.

Here's my only issue. The Windows 7 CD doesn't come with your purchase, at least mine didn't. Hell, didn't even come with recovery disks, you have to do that yourself with the provided CD. I liked it better in the old days when you received an OEM version of the OS with your purchase.

Anway, I use an imaging program anyway (Acronis), so should hopefully not need the OS cd anwyay, but have the recovery CD's made just in case!

abso
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
your maximum price ?

darin
01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Jim - I have a Win7 CD... :)

Abso - that's about it - I have to buy a laptop, too.

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
What kind of laptop are you looking at? I really like my HP, but I set up a brand new Acer for my girlfriend's brother the other day and it really impressed me with how fast it ran. I don't remember what the model was, I'll ask him, but he bought it last week for about $800 while visiting in New Jersey.

With your tower, why don't you just upgrade what you have? Lots cheaper and you get what you want.

I can give you pictures with step-by-step instructions to install it yourself if you want to go this way. It's stupidly easy.

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Okay, the laptop I was talking about is :

Acer Aspire 5745-7247, 64 bit, 4 gig RAM, Intel i3 CPU, M 370 @ 2.40 GHz and 750 gig hard drive.

He said it was about $500 and after getting the extended warranty it was right about $800.

I really like that machine, it runs circles around my 2 year old HP.

LuvRPgrl
03-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Budget-wise...just need something to run solidly while i'm deployed - something for the family.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6336134&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=25-17299126-2

I'm probably late to this party, but....

I've been selling and repairing PC's for a few years now,

Most solid and reliable PC's are IBM

Hands down, best customer service, in fact, the only good one is Dell.
I bought a used Dell on ebay, it wouldnt Load Win7, which is was designed for.
I was able to load Vista, but wanted 7 on it.

It had an i7 cpu.

I called Dell, next day a new OS recovery disk for 7 arrived.
It didnt solve the problem, called them again,
NEXt day A NEW TB hard drive arrived,
it didnt solve the problem,

Oddly enough, I discovered the problem to be a bad video card,
I called Dell, next day a refurbished Video card arrive,
problem solved.

They never checked on anything about the PC except original purchase date, which is found at their web site via a service tag number which can be found on the PC,
as long as it was on the original warranty, they didnt care how I came about possesion of the computer, other companies want a copy of the original purchase receipt or they wont help w/o charging you.

Dell has been very consistent in helping us like that.