PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani Gov aledgedly Killed over defending Christian

revelarts
01-04-2011, 01:26 PM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50660000/jpg/_50660947_010942209-1.jpg
Elite security guard who shot the Governor several times photographed after the shooting.

Salman Taseer was shot several times at close range
The influential governor of Pakistan's Punjab province, Salman Taseer, has died after being shot by one of his bodyguards in the capital, Islamabad.

Mr Taseer, a senior member of the Pakistan People's Party, was shot when getting into his car at a market.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik said the guard had told police that he killed Mr Taseer because of the governor's opposition to Pakistan's blasphemy law.

Many were angered by his defence of a Christian woman sentenced to death.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani declared three days of national mourning and ordered flags lowered to half-mast. He also ordered an immediate inquiry into Mr Taseer's killing and appealed for calm.

Dozens of PPP supporters have taken to streets in Punjab's capital, Lahore, burning tyres and blocking traffic, the AFP news agency reports.

It is the most high profile assassination in Pakistan since the killing of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, the PPP's leader, in 2007.
'National hero'

Mr Taseer, 66, was shot several times at close range by his Elite Force guard as he got into his car at the Kohsar Market, a shopping centre in Islamabad popular with Westerners and wealthy Pakistanis, Mr Malik said.
Salman Taseer Salman Taseer was politically close to the president

"The governor fell down and the man who fired at him threw down his gun and raised both hands," Ali Imran, a witness, told the Reuters news agency.

Unconfirmed reports say up to five other people were wounded when Mr Taseer's other bodyguards opened fire following the attack.

It is believed Mr Taseer had been returning to his car after meeting a friend for lunch at a nearby restaurant. He had previously been to the presidential palace, the Senate and the interior ministry.

At a news conference in the capital, Mr Malik said: "The police guard who killed him says he did this because Mr Taseer recently defended the proposed amendments to the blasphemy law."
Continue reading the main story
Analysis
M Ilyas Khan BBC News, Islamabad

The assassination of Salman Taseer once again highlights Pakistan's unending troubles. He was a high-profile leader of the PPP, and was governor of the country's largest province, Punjab. His death has left the country in shock at a time when it faces an imminent political crisis.

On the face of it, the assassination appears to be an individual act of a police guard in Mr Taseer's security detail. The guard has reportedly said he killed him because Mr Taseer publicly opposed the blasphemy law.

But the timing of the assassination holds deeper implications for the government, which is struggling to shore up political support to maintain a majority in the parliament. Whether it gets this support will be decided by one of two major political forces of Punjab - the opposition PML-N and the PML-Q parties. The assassination has the potential to upset these negotiations.

"This is what he told the police after surrendering himself."

"But we are investigating to find out whether it was his individual act or whether someone else was also behind it," he added.

Mr Taseer made headlines recently by appealing for the pardon of a Christian woman, Asia Bibi, who had been sentenced to death for allegedly insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

Friends of the governor say he knew he was risking his life by speaking out.

"I was under huge pressure sure 2 cow down b4 rightist pressure on blasphemy. Refused. Even if I'm the last man standing," he wrote on Twitter on 31 December.....

Noir
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with the principle, if not the method.

SassyLady
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree with the principle, if not the method.

What principle? Removing people from office that are standing up for more freedom of speech? The Governor was against executions for blasphemy infractions.

NightTrain
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM
What principle? Removing people from office that are standing up for more freedom of speech? The Governor was against executions for blasphemy infractions.

I think this is one of the biggest problems in the Middle East. They finally get people that step up to the plate and call attention to the barbaric ways of the populace, and before the politician can affect any meaningful change and drag them kicking and screaming out of the dark ages, they get iced.

Same thing happened to Egypt's leader after he officially recognized Israel as a State - he got whacked.

Noir
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM

My bad, read the article too quick, I thought the Governor was for the Blasphemy law, ergo the shooting.

SassyLady
01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
My bad, read the article too quick, I thought the Governor was for the Blasphemy law, ergo the shooting.

I thought so, hence my question to you.

revelarts
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I think this is one of the biggest problems in the Middle East. They finally get people that step up to the plate and call attention to the barbaric ways of the populace, and before the politician can affect any meaningful change and drag them kicking and screaming out of the dark ages, they get iced.

Same thing happened to Egypt's leader after he officially recognized Israel as a State - he got whacked.

Agreed

But at least this is democracy at at work , sort of. We've had a civil war over slavery and assassinations over various issues as well. Those people have to decided which way they are headed.