PDA

View Full Version : I hate computers :(

darin
01-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Supply arrived to replace the old unit which powered off every few minutes. Got it plugged in....Nothing. Not a blip. Not a buzz. Nothing. (sigh)

jimnyc
01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Do you have a meter you can pop into the end of the power supply and see for sure if any power is coming out? I had what I thought was a DOA power supply last year sometime only to find out after much troubleshooting that I had blown up my motherboard. No motherboard and it will likely appear as if you have no power.

Did you buy it locally or online? Maybe they can ship you another one ASAP while you prepare to ship the crap one back to them?

P.S. - And this is just a guess!....

A PC randomly turning off can be a sign of overheating. When a CPU gets too hot it has built in protection and will just power down. So there's a random chance that you could have blown your CPU - but if that were the case, and you had a good power supply, you would still see a few lights and the fan would turn on.

I finally got pissed enough last year and bought a MB/CPU/PS combo. Then a few months later I ended up buying the machine you mentioned the other day. Is this machine you're working on just a replacement until you get the new one?

Gaffer
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
My machine has been powering down as well. I opened the top of it and leaned a fan into the opening and let it run that way. Keeps the whole inside cool and I can use the puter without any problems. I'll eventually need a new puter myself. Probably get a frankenputer.

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Yep, overheating!

Take your vacuum hose from your household vacuum and suck all the dust out of the power supply on both ends of it. If you can, play with the angle of the hose to get that fan inside the unit to turn, it helps get the dust off those blades and behind them, too.

Of course, you have your power unplugged to your machine as you're doing this....

Some canned air will help, try not to get at an angle with the can so you don't end up spraying liquid into the power supply, but do this as you're vacuuming the other end.

It's been my experience that when a power supply goes bad, it goes out all the way - either shooting as much power as it can or none at all. In the former, you have a fried motherboard.

Blow out your original power supply and see if your machine powers up again.

BoogyMan
01-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Power Supply arrived to replace the old unit which powered off every few minutes. Got it plugged in....Nothing. Not a blip. Not a buzz. Nothing. (sigh)

Is there a 110/220 volt switch on the back of the new PSU and is it set to 110?

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 12:10 PM
BTW, whenever my machine(s) have overheated it was due to dust buildup in the CPU. Cleaning that always fixed the problem for me. Getting all the dust out of the cooling fins under the fan can be a pain in the ass, but using something like a toothpick in conjunction with your vacuum will get it clean.

You might want to try that, Gaffer, since you already have your case open.

darin
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
thanks guys - was over heating, so I vacuumed it - next week I smelled burn-plastic-smell from power supply for about 12 hours. Then, shut down. Pulled the power-supply - still seemed the source of the odor, so I ordered a new one.

back to square one. Will try again tonite.

Mr. P
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
thanks guys - was over heating, so I vacuumed it - next week I smelled burn-plastic-smell from power supply for about 12 hours. Then, shut down. Pulled the power-supply - still seemed the source of the odor, so I ordered a new one.

back to square one. Will try again tonite.
By chance did it trip a circuit breaker? I'm sure you checked that, right?

namvet
01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I assume the new one comes with a line fuse????

namvet
01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
here's how i keep mine cool. all the dirt falls out of it :laugh2:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/25a56v4.jpg

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
here's how i keep mine cool. all the dirt falls out of it :laugh2:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/25a56v4.jpg

LOL, look at all that dust beside your computer, man! Better give that another good canned-air spraying with a vacuum and then work that desk over!

Just screwing with ya, bud! :beer:

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I assume the new one comes with a line fuse????

I can't think of any in-line fuse I've seen with a power supply... which is odd, really, it makes sense to have one of those.

Other than the fact that you'd sell less power supply units by doing so.

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
By chance did it trip a circuit breaker? I'm sure you checked that, right?

That's a good point, Mr. P..... I have a rocker switch on the back of my tower and it usually gets turned off accidently when I'm manhandling my tower around while working on it.

I've had a couple of tense moments after installing components and not seeing anything happen when I try to fire it up before discovering I'd turned off that damn rocker.

The first thought that races through my head after hitting the power button and nothing happening is "Oh my god, I fried the motherboard!"

The only time I've ever fried a motherboard is by installing a power supply I suspected MIGHT be bad into an obsolete but functioning tower. Turns out my suspicions were correct when it promptly blew up the motherboard. That was the last time I listened to my brother when troubleshooting computers and drinking.

namvet
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I can't think of any in-line fuse I've seen with a power supply... which is odd, really, it makes sense to have one of those.

Other than the fact that you'd sell less power supply units by doing so.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/r00320010725vgl01_01.jpg

they have the glass fuse right near the AC line in. a lotta boards i replaced did not come with one.

namvet
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
LOL, look at all that dust beside your computer, man! Better give that another good canned-air spraying with a vacuum and then work that desk over!

Just screwing with ya, bud! :beer:

its not due to be cleaned till july

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 06:47 PM
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/r00320010725vgl01_01.jpg

they have the glass fuse right near the AC line in. a lotta boards i replaced did not come with one.

Interesting... what brand comes with the in-line fuse? I think I'll get that next time I need to buy one.

jimnyc
01-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Interesting... what brand comes with the in-line fuse? I think I'll get that next time I need to buy one.

Most PSU's will have a fuse in them, but the majority are soldered in and can be a little harder to replace if blown. I think that stinks too as I think it's these companies trying to keep people from being informed and fixing things on their own.

Probably better off anyway. I messed around with one once and my finger touched a capacitor and man did that send a jolt throughout my body. Lotsa stored up energy in those suckers (and monitors too!)

namvet
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM

all desktops. not sure about laps. also TV, stereo's etc.

the OP should check and see if its installed. if so make sure all molex connectors are seated. maybe reinsall the the old one just to confirm the problem. ask for refund or replacement

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
all desktops. not sure about laps. also TV, stereo's etc.

the OP should check and see if its installed. if so make sure all molex connectors are seated. maybe reinsall the the old one just to confirm the problem. ask for refund or replacement

I've never seen an in-line fuse outside of the power supply case - there's only been the modular connector and straight wire to inside the unit. You and Jim have me curious to see if I'm wrong about this, I'm about to go downstairs and open up my tower to verify it!

It wouldn't be the first time something was staring me in the face and I didn't see it though.

jimnyc
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I've never seen an in-line fuse outside of the power supply case - there's only been the modular connector and straight wire to inside the unit. You and Jim have me curious to see if I'm wrong about this, I'm about to go downstairs and open up my tower to verify it!

It wouldn't be the first time something was staring me in the face and I didn't see it though.

Nope, you're correct, the fuse I am speaking of is INSIDE the unit - hence me nearly getting electrocuted! I've never seen one on the outside either. (also, you're killing the warranty if you open them too).

namvet
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Nope, you're correct, the fuse I am speaking of is INSIDE the unit - hence me nearly getting electrocuted! I've never seen one on the outside either. (also, you're killing the warranty if you open them too).

right. as per the photo i posted. hint: pull the plug from the wall. you'll live longer and have more babie's :laugh2:

NightTrain
01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Gotcha. I never bothered breaking open the power supply unit itself... but there really should be an in-line fuse outside of that case. I'm sure that power surges blow the fuse in 99% of all failures.

But again, they'd sell a whole shitload less if they did something like that, so I understand why that isn't done.

namvet
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Most PSU's will have a fuse in them, but the majority are soldered in and can be a little harder to replace if blown. I think that stinks too as I think it's these companies trying to keep people from being informed and fixing things on their own.

Probably better off anyway. I messed around with one once and my finger touched a capacitor and man did that send a jolt throughout my body. Lotsa stored up energy in those suckers (and monitors too!)

well most are snap in's. for conveniences of service. also they don't want you in there. if you get killed then they can be liable. hence the warning labels which gets them off the hook.
years ago they used something called a bleeder resistor to discharge caps. not any more as you found out. I used a 1.8K 2watt resisitor with a jumper wire to discharge them.

namvet
01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Gotcha. I never bothered breaking open the power supply unit itself... but there really should be an in-line fuse outside of that case. I'm sure that power surges blow the fuse in 99% of all failures.

But again, they'd sell a whole shitload less if they did something like that, so I understand why that isn't done.

ouside fuse could get you injured are dead. that's why they're inside