PDA

View Full Version : High Gas Prices Is A Good Sign

red states rule
01-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, it looks like liberals are starting to notice high gas prices and do not want those high prices to hurt Obama

Almost as surely as dawn precedes daylight, the rising price of oil tends to lead to higher gas prices. With the price of a barrel of oil at around $90, there is increasing concern that expensive fuel will choke off the U.S. economic recovery. At TheAtlantic.com, Lisa Margonelli makes the case that gas, at $3.07 a gallon across the country, is already problematic. And in the video below, my colleagues Henry Blodget and Aaron Task wonder whether high gas prices will hurt car sales:

Nobody wants to see a repeat of 2007 and 2008, when gas prices spiked to above $4 per gallon, as this chart from Gasbuddy shows, and people began to ride horses to run errands. But for several reasons, rising gas prices in 2011 won't have anywhere near the psychological and actual economic effect they did just a few years ago.

First, the U.S. is consuming less gasoline on a per capita basis than it did a few years ago. It may be too soon to argue that we've reached a level of peak gasoline consumption, but it's also clear that we're not nearly as addicted to oil as a transportation fuel as we were a few years ago. According to the Energy Department, growth of motor gasoline consumption stalled out in the middle of the last decade. From a peak of 3.389 billion barrels in 2007, consumption fell in both 2008 and 2009; 2009's total of 3.283 billion barrels was 3.1 percent below the 2007 total. (Data showing the four-week average of consumption reveal that gasoline sales picked up a bit in 2010.)

Consumption has fallen in part because the much-maligned, SUV-heavy U.S. car fleet is getting more fuel efficient with every passing day. For this development, we can thank (or blame) policy, high gas prices, and innovation. The federal standards for mileage of the U.S. auto fleet have been steadily rising, from 26.6 in 2007 to 29.2 in 2010. Changes in policy and the market have made the fleet more efficient.

Remember the 2009 Cash for Clunkers program? The Department of Transportation concluded that "cars purchased under the program are, on average, 19% above the average fuel economy of all new cars currently available, and 59% above the average fuel economy of cars that were traded in." Yes, sales of pickups and SUVs rebounded smartly in 2010. But today's larger vehicles are generally more fuel efficient than their predecessors. Meanwhile, every carmaker has ramped up their offerings and sales of fuel-efficient cars, including the Chevrolet Volt, which I drove in November. As these great charts from WSJ.com show, some carmakers that specialize in gas-sippers made big gains in 2010: Nissan and Kia both reported sales gains of 18 percent, while Hyundai saw a 23 percent gain. Hybrid sales, a high-cost path to greater efficiency, are still off their 2007 peak. But there are many more hybrids on the road now. More than 290,000 hybrids were sold in calendar year 2009. In 2010 Toyota alone sold 189,147 hybrids. Meanwhile, the Hummer — like its most famous driver, Arnold Schwarzenegger — has left the public stage.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Don-Sweat-3-50-Per-Gallon-Gas-dg-3085476876.html?x=0

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Gas prices here are now $3.25-3.29, higher in the city because of higher taxes. IL is now taxing everything that doesn't move and obviously some that do. There will be no 'tax breaks' here like there were in the past.

Noir
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Spare a thought for me in my wee car, it's now costing around 130p per litre. Which translates as about $8.8 per gallon. Srsly considering stopping driving all together if this continues.

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Spare a thought for me in my wee car, it's now costing around 130p per litre. Which translates as about $8.8 per gallon. Srsly considering stopping driving all together if this continues.

I'm sure that others with less disposable income are doing so there. Indeed, maybe part of the reason for your economy. I know if prices go much higher, I won't be able to work. I'll have to wait for a friend to get me to grocery.

OldMercsRule
01-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Jus' remember folks: commodity cycles tend ta run in thiry year periods.

Hint: the last one peaked in 1980.

The current high oil prices are a result of Obamaprompter n' Bernanke blowin' up our budget n' currency, as oil is an international commodity, (and the pressures of the most recent commodity cycle).

Me overpriced $.02. JR

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Gasoline prices is one part, food prices another. Inflation is not creeping, it's beginning to hit us over the head.

3#'s potatoes are nearly $4. A # of sugar, about the same as a gallon of gas. Milk? More than gas, unless on sale. Bread? Here it's over $3 a loaf.

Meat prices are actually better than produce and staples. I'm doing ok, since I'm very aware and pounce on sales. I'm buying staples at Aldi and specials at Tarjay.

Trigg
01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Gasoline prices is one part, food prices another. Inflation is not creeping, it's beginning to hit us over the head.

3#'s potatoes are nearly $4. A # of sugar, about the same as a gallon of gas. Milk? More than gas, unless on sale. Bread? Here it's over $3 a loaf.

Meat prices are actually better than produce and staples. I'm doing ok, since I'm very aware and pounce on sales. I'm buying staples at Aldi and specials at Tarjay.

And don't expect those price to get any better with gas prices creeping up.

Transporting food around the country costs money, higher gas prices turnes into higher prices at the grocery.

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
And don't expect those price to get any better with gas prices creeping up.

Transporting food around the country costs money, higher gas prices turnes into higher prices at the grocery.

I know Trigg. I'm doing what I can in making soup and using lots of beans and lentils. I'm listing my house in the next 2 weeks, I'll be fortunate to get what I would have 2 years ago, now with 2 new baths and new carpeting, thanks to the great flood.

I'm beside myself. I really don't know how I'm going to survive.

Trigg
01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I know Trigg. I'm doing what I can in making soup and using lots of beans and lentils. I'm listing my house in the next 2 weeks, I'll be fortunate to get what I would have 2 years ago, now with 2 new baths and new carpeting, thanks to the great flood.

I'm beside myself. I really don't know how I'm going to survive.

Chicago is an expensive place to live, are you still looking at Indiana???

Kathianne
01-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Chicago is an expensive place to live, are you still looking at Indiana???

right now I'm just concerned with getting from with under. I'll live with friends or relatives, then figure out. Seems on top of job loss, now inflation is going to kick in, big time. Food and gas are going up more quickly than working people can cope with, never mind those without steady work.

red states rule
01-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Gas prices here are now $3.25-3.29, higher in the city because of higher taxes. IL is now taxing everything that doesn't move and obviously some that do. There will be no 'tax breaks' here like there were in the past.

Gas is about $3.20/gal and I noticed the prices of most of the things I bought at Wal Mart this morning are creeping up as well

Meanwhile, libs and tree huggers are doing all they can to prevent more drilling which would put people to work and increase the supply of oil

BoogyMan
01-09-2011, 01:47 PM

How prevalent is public transport where you are, Noir?

Noir
01-09-2011, 01:56 PM
How prevalent is public transport where you are, Noir?

It's alright, but I never use the busses, you can get to anywhere in my town in about an hours walk.
The trains to the city are really good, but they're quiet expensive so I'd use them at most once or twice a month (when I didn't have a car)
But the public transport here is allot better than that in the rest of the UK, some of the busses (and most of all the trains) I got in England were awful)

Nukeman
01-09-2011, 02:33 PM
For me I travel 27 miles EACH way for work every day.. Thats 2 gallons of gas every day or just for work over 35 dollars a week..

This bad recession started when our gas shot up last time and took all other prices with it. If our gov't allows this to hapen a second time in 4 years it will send us into either a duoble dip recession or full blown depression!!!!!!

Palin Rider
01-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Well, it looks like liberals are starting to notice high gas prices and do not want those high prices to hurt Obama

That article doesn't mention Obama once, you ridiculous dipshit.

red states rule
01-10-2011, 04:00 AM
For me I travel 27 miles EACH way for work every day.. Thats 2 gallons of gas every day or just for work over 35 dollars a week..

This bad recession started when our gas shot up last time and took all other prices with it. If our gov't allows this to hapen a second time in 4 years it will send us into either a duoble dip recession or full blown depression!!!!!!

My drive to work is about 126 miles round trip per day and I have to fill up every three days