PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan bound!

NightTrain
01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Just got a call today from the boss wanting to know if I'd go with a crew to Kabul to set up a new telco operation over there... 3 months on, 3 months off, 6 days a week as many hours per day as you can.

There's some big money involved in a job like that, I told him I'm in.

Will find out for sure if we're going in the next month or so, but it looks pretty solid.

Nukeman
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Just got a call today from the boss wanting to know if I'd go with a crew to Kabul to set up a new telco operation over there... 3 months on, 3 months off, 6 days a week as many hours per day as you can.

Will find out for sure if we're going in the next month or so, but it looks pretty solid.
Do you take your own weapons????? :laugh: Do they supply you with bullet proof vest????

Trigg
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Keep your head down.

If you have internet be sure to let us know how things are going. It's always informative to get a first hand account of situations.

fj1200
01-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
God be with you, Nighttrain. :salute:

Mr. P
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Iraq as a civilian contractor maybe. Afghanistan, NO F'KIN way regardless of much $$$ !!!!!

jimnyc
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Keep us all informed, Rick. I'm sure this decision isn't taken lightly! :salute:

Kathianne
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Prayers go with you! Please be careful, Afghanistan is not a safe neighborhood.

SassyLady
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
maybe you and dmp can get together while you're over there!

Be safe and keep in touch!

Weather will be quite different ... hope you can tolerate the heat.

NightTrain
01-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Do you take your own weapons????? :laugh: Do they supply you with bullet proof vest????

lol no. I'm just a telecom guy. I understand there is security provided, whether it's U.S. Military or private security I don't know yet.

One of those guys that got their heads sawed off on video a while back was a telecom guy. For some reason he gave his security the slip and went out to experience the Baghdad night life... he paid the ultimate price for that stupidity.

NightTrain
01-15-2011, 01:53 AM
Keep your head down.

If you have internet be sure to let us know how things are going. It's always informative to get a first hand account of situations.

Where we go, internet quickly follows... that's what we do! :laugh:
It should indeed be interesting... and let's hope not too damn interesting.

God be with you, Nighttrain.
Thanks Abbey.

Iraq as a civilian contractor maybe. Afghanistan, NO F'KIN way regardless of much $$$ !!!!!
We won't be out in the boonies, Mr. P... this should all be on our different bases.

Keep us all informed, Rick. I'm sure this decision isn't taken lightly!

It's not, Jim. But coming out of this nasty divorce is perfect timing nail a big job, get re-established, buy a house and get all my toys back!

Prayers go with you! Please be careful, Afghanistan is not a safe neighborhood.

Thanks, Kathi. I know it's not 100% safe, but we'll not be away from the Good Guys. Got lots of Army & Marines all around the area there.

maybe you and dmp can get together while you're over there!

Be safe and keep in touch!

Weather will be quite different ... hope you can tolerate the heat.

I think Darin said he was going to Iraq... I may be wrong, though.

The heat will suck, for sure. I imagine it'll take me a couple months to adjust.

actsnoblemartin
01-15-2011, 03:27 AM
may god be watching out for you and keep you safe

amen

:salute:

Sitarro
01-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Best of wishes NightTrain, maybe you can get a ride in one of those beautiful B-1s.

red states rule
01-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Pay attention to what is going on around you, keep your head down, and come back home safe and sound

I know you will be very busy and tired most of the time - but please check in with us so we know you are OK

You will be in my thoughts and prayers NT

revelarts
01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
NT Be Safe, Be Good.

Gaffer
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Be aware of what's around you, and who. For the most part your biggest threat and worry will be mortars and rockets. Mortars fall and explode out and up. If you are at a lower level than the mortar blast it goes over you. It's a good idea when possible to have a hole near by. Where you will be working is most likely very secure. Good luck to you.

darin
01-18-2011, 10:41 AM
WOW! I'm very jealous! A'stan is where I hoped to go; and will continue to hope for. That's closer to the fight.

Yes, I'll be in Iraq - Joint-Base Balad, north of Baghdad.

As a contractor, Rick, your income should/will be free from Federal income tax! That's awesome! As a DoD Civilian, however, my income IS taxed. It's enough to ALMOST make me wanna find a contractor position there for awhile; don't want to give up my GS job though.

If you get time to R&R in Qatar, holler; I might be there this summer! :D

Thanks for going, Rick, and thanks for helping the warfight, and the good people of A'stan.

BTW - Be careful about announcing $ - your Ex might go back to court and demand more of yours to fund her 'nails' fund, etc. :(

NightTrain
01-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone.

As far as Qatar, Darin, I understand that we'll be on a 3 month on/ 3 month off rotation and they'll stuff us in a plane and fly us back to Alaska at the end of each rotation... but I guess that's not out of the realm of possibilities! I know nothing about how things are done there so it'll be educational.

I'm thinking of staying for additional hitches to maximize the money, but I do have the kids and girlfriend here that I'll be missing, like everyone else that's over there, so I'll have to play it by ear.

As far as the ex grabbing cash... yep, playing this very hush-hush but I've got her over a barrel (knock on wood) legally speaking so I don't think she'll have any grounds to try and extract more money from me anymore. And I've got a pretty damn good attorney if she does make a move!
:beer: