PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye, Molar!

jimnyc
01-15-2011, 01:47 PM
While dealing with my quitting smoking (which I beat!), and now working out and eating properly - I've also been nursing a bad tooth hoping to avoid the dentist.

Well, you can't do that forever. I went in this morning as I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was actually an oral surgeon, only place I could find open today. And I guess that was good as it needed to be pulled. Paid the extra to have them knock me out and woke up without my bottom right molar.

The meds they gave me are wearing off and I'm in intense pain right now. He prescribed me Vicodins which I am awaiting to kick in right now! Tooth is bleeding a lot, can't eat and can barely drink.

But it makes my diet easier for now! :coffee:

And if/when the pain goes away, I can enjoy whatever Vicodins are left over as a treat. :laugh2:

The one thing I don't miss after leaving the dentist and being told you can't smoke for 24hrs, now I don't need to worry about that!

Psychoblues
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
While dealing with my quitting smoking (which I beat!), and now working out and eating properly - I've also been nursing a bad tooth hoping to avoid the dentist.

Well, you can't do that forever. I went in this morning as I couldn't take the pain anymore. It was actually an oral surgeon, only place I could find open today. And I guess that was good as it needed to be pulled. Paid the extra to have them knock me out and woke up without my bottom right molar.

The meds they gave me are wearing off and I'm in intense pain right now. He prescribed me Vicodins which I am awaiting to kick in right now! Tooth is bleeding a lot, can't eat and can barely drink.

And if/when the pain goes away, I can enjoy whatever Vicodins are left over as a treat. :laugh2:

The one thing I don't miss after leaving the dentist and being told you can't smoke for 24hrs, now I don't need to worry about that!

Good show on the molar and the quitting smoking, jim. Both of them will be blessings for you for the rest of your life. And enjoy those vicodins while you can, tehehehehhe. My doc gave me 7.5 mg percacets and believe me I was still taking them long after the pain went away. They were purely recreational at that point!!!!!!

Check your inbox.

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Jim you have to get it done. The tooth will only get worse

I love my dentist. When I first walked into his office he had a big sign that read

"We Cater To Cowards"

jimnyc
01-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Good show on the molar and the quitting smoking, jim. Both of them will be blessings for you for the rest of your life. And enjoy those vicodins while you can, tehehehehhe. My doc gave me 7.5 mg percacets and believe me I was still taking them long after the pain went away. They were purely recreational at that point!!!!!!

Check your inbox.

Psychoblues

Thanks, PB. I was given the "hydrocodone 7.5 with 75omg acetominophen" - which isn't as good as the percs but should help with the pain at least. Also, already replied to you...

Jim you have to get it done. The tooth will only get worse

I love my dentist. When I first walked into his office he had a big sign that read

"We Cater To Cowards"

It was actually YOU and our conversation this morn that gave me enough courage to make the call. It hurts like a bitch right now but hopefully that won't last long.

And your office would be perfect for me, as I am a HUGE coward. I NEVER go to see them until it's too late, then repeat process until I am toothless!!

red states rule
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks, PB. I was given the "hydrocodone 7.5 with 75omg acetominophen" - which isn't as good as the percs but should help with the pain at least. Also, already replied to you...

It was actually YOU and our conversation this morn that gave me enough courage to make the call. It hurts like a bitch right now but hopefully that won't last long.

And your office would be perfect for me, as I am a HUGE coward. I NEVER go to see them until it's too late, then repeat process until I am toothless!!

Jim get yourself some Orajel - it will help numb the pain

Yes my dentist is ggod. he talks to you, has a TV in the treatment room, and even offers music to relax you

NightTrain
01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Yep, nothing worse than a freshly pulled tooth... hurts like hell and other than the painkillers not much to do for it.

One thing I do when I need that painkiller to kick in fast is bite it into about 3 or 4 pieces. Dissolves faster and hits harder that way.

A judicious shot of whiskey to amplify is a good call, too. Just gotta be careful not to get the booze into your socket.

red states rule
01-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Yep, nothing worse than a freshly pulled tooth... hurts like hell and other than the painkillers not much to do for it.

One thing I do when I need that painkiller to kick in fast is bite it into about 3 or 4 pieces. Dissolves faster and hits harder that way.

A judicious shot of whiskey to amplify is a good call, too. Just gotta be careful not to get the booze into your socket.

I never had any pain after having a tooth pulled. Never really needed any pain killers either

Psychoblues
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Jim, if you have allowed the pain to pick back up you may have to double dose to get it back under control. The reason they turn you loose while your mouth is still dead and with medication or a prescription is so that you will take the painkillers before the numbness wears off.

Pain is very hard to stop but is very easy to control once stopped. Last year I broke 3 ribs and the doctor prescribed 5 mg percocets every 6 hours. Ain't I a lucky bitch on them percocets! He told me to start with 3 and then reduce to 2 for a day and then to 1 until I didn't need them any more. WTF?!?!?!?! He said I just needed to break the pain curve and it would be very easy to maintain after that. Anyway, my pain was intense, never broke and hurt me everywhere and in 12 hours I was back in the ER. They pumped my butt full of morphine and told my wife to take me home and make for certain I didn't miss my upcoming dose of percocets! I just love competent medical staff!

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Jim, if you have allowed the pain to pick back up you may have to double dose to get it back under control. The reason they turn you loose while your mouth is still dead and with medication or a prescription is so that you will take the painkillers before the numbness wears off.

Pain is very hard to stop but is very easy to control once stopped. Last year I broke 3 ribs and the doctor prescribed 2, 5 mg percocets every 6 hours. Ain't I a lucky bitch on them percocets! He told me to start with 3 and then reduce to 2 for a day and then to 1 until I didn't need them any more. WTF?!?!?!?! He said I just needed to break the pain curve and it would be very easy to maintain after that. Anyway, my pain was intense, never broke and hurt me everywhere and in 12 hours I was back in the ER. They pumped my butt full of morphine and told my wife to take me home and make for certain I didn't miss my upcoming dose of percocets! I just love competent medical staff!

Psychoblues

Your post explains alot PB

You must have numbed up your entire head and have never laid off the meds

Thanks for clearing up laot of questions

NightTrain
01-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I never had any pain after having a tooth pulled. Never really needed any pain killers either

My bottom molars are all impacted, the the roots are unusually strong. I had a quack of a dentist here in Wasilla spend over an hour trying to get one wisdom tooth out, and finally he gave up and sent me to an oral surgeon who had to cut part of my jawbone away to get the roots out.

That baby hurt like hell and I avoided dentists as much as possible until I finally found a dentist that gives me a pill that knocks me silly and then gases me, even for cleanings. Phobia solved!

red states rule
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
My bottom molars are all impacted, the the roots are unusually strong. I had a quack of a dentist here in Wasilla spend over an hour trying to get one wisdom tooth out, and finally he gave up and sent me to an oral surgeon who had to cut part of my jawbone away to get the roots out.

That baby hurt like hell and I avoided dentists as much as possible until I finally found a dentist that gives me a pill that knocks me silly and then gases me, even for cleanings. Phobia solved!

I have ben lucky then. Again, I have never had a more calm, professional, and cool dentists as I have now. I need a few more filling sdone and I guy even agreed to stay late due to my work hours.

His office is closed on Friday and the weekends so I show up around 4:30 in the afternoon. He said no problem working a little late so he could treat me

jimnyc
01-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Should have known... The happy pills kept me in check all day after the extraction but I had to sleep sometime, so took my last one and couldn't go to bed for about 2-3hrs because, well, they make me too happy!

So I just woke up about 20mins ago with the extraction point literally pounding!! I tossed, turned and gave up and had to take my medication. So now it's 3am and that'll be it for the night! At least I got a shitty 3-4hrs of on and off sleep. I'll make up for it once the pain and happy pills both go away! :coffee:

jimnyc
01-16-2011, 05:09 AM
2 hours later and only a little better. I'm not even sure it's the medication that dulled the pain as much as it was that I sat up instead of lying down. That happens to me when I get a migraine too, I need to more or less sleep sitting up in bed. They say it can be anywhere from 1-5 days for recovery, but generally only a day or 2. Hopefully it starts advancing soon and I didn't get a damn dry socket or infection.

red states rule
01-16-2011, 05:11 AM
2 hours later and only a little better. I'm not even sure it's the medication that dulled the pain as much as it was that I sat up instead of lying down. That happens to me when I get a migraine too, I need to more or less sleep sitting up in bed. They say it can be anywhere from 1-5 days for recovery, but generally only a day or 2. Hopefully it starts advancing soon and I didn't get a damn dry socket or infection.

Sorry to see you having problems Jim. I hope the meds kick in so you can get some sleep and the rest you need

red states rule
01-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Jim, if you are still having issues later on today let me know

I will send the nurse over

http://www.bullz-eye.com/gallery_shots/cleavage/Vanessa-04.jpg

jimnyc
01-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Sorry to see you having problems Jim. I hope the meds kick in so you can get some sleep and the rest you need

Well, that's the problem...

Can't sleep if I lay down as it hurts, even with meds. Wouldn't matter anyhow, as Vicodin gets me jacked up and keeps me from sleeping. I'm just hoping the open wound will heal quick enough and I'll catch my sleep later.

Gaffer
01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Ibuprofen works for me. About 800 mgs will usually dull the pain. When I got my teeth pulled he gave me codeine, which I'm allergic too. told him I couldn't take that so he gave me another that contained codeine, and when I said no way he gave me a third codeine prescription. I went home and took ibuprofen. Took three visits and only Novocaine. Now I have no tooth aches.

Keep your head elevated as much as possible when you go to sleep.

jimnyc
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Ibuprofen works for me. About 800 mgs will usually dull the pain. When I got my teeth pulled he gave me codeine, which I'm allergic too. told him I couldn't take that so he gave me another that contained codeine, and when I said no way he gave me a third codeine prescription. I went home and took ibuprofen. Took three visits and only Novocaine. Now I have no tooth aches.

Keep your head elevated as much as possible when you go to sleep.

Lets hope there is nothing wrong, and that your advice continues to work. It's still a lot of pain unless I "overdose" on the Vicodin. Woke up again around 3 this morning in PAIN. Read your post and switched over to 800mg of Ibuprofen (the vikes about to run out). I went back to sleep on the couch sitting up.

But the still bleeding a few days later and piercing pain makes me wonder if I screwed up somehow and have a dry socket. If the pain is still that bad tomorrow morning I will call the surgeon back and repeat a visit if I have to. Man, not much hurts like a bad toothache, or pain where a tooth once was!

Gaffer
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Could be a dry socket. Could also be a fragment of the tooth still in there. The fact it's still bleeding after this long doesn't sound good. Probably a good idea to have the surgeon check it out just to be on the safe side. The pain should subside considerably by the second day.

jimnyc
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Could be a dry socket. Could also be a fragment of the tooth still in there. The fact it's still bleeding after this long doesn't sound good. Probably a good idea to have the surgeon check it out just to be on the safe side. The pain should subside considerably by the second day.

Been MIA for a few days as the pain got worse and worse. I finally called the surgeon back last night and made an appointment for first thing this morning. Sure enough, you were right, it was a dry socket. He "irrigated" it and also put dry socket paste (clove?) inside - and thank God prescribed me more pain meds as I was ready to high tail it into NYC and buy my own! Filled with the paste and gauze right now, and about 30mins into the triple dose of vicodin (I know, but it hurts!). I'd rather be buzzed than in pain, and after 3 straight days of additional hell, I've earned a day of "nothingness".

Ok, now who can I find on the board and start trouble with today..., :2up:

Kathianne
01-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Been MIA for a few days as the pain got worse and worse. I finally called the surgeon back last night and made an appointment for first thing this morning. Sure enough, you were right, it was a dry socket. He "irrigated" it and also put dry socket paste (clove?) inside - and thank God prescribed me more pain meds as I was ready to high tail it into NYC and buy my own! Filled with the paste and gauze right now, and about 30mins into the triple dose of vicodin (I know, but it hurts!). I'd rather be buzzed than in pain, and after 3 straight days of additional hell, I've earned a day of "nothingness".

Glad you got that dealt with! Sorry it was so rough. Hopefully now you are on the way to a better you! Did you start the Hi-pro diet?

jimnyc
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Glad you got that dealt with! Sorry it was so rough. Hopefully now you are on the way to a better you! Did you start the Hi-pro diet?

Not out of the woods yet. It was almost instant relief this morning when the dentist applied the clove paste, and it wasn't long after that I was eating Vicodins like my personal stash of candy. But even as the buzz continued, the clove paste slowly dissipated and eventually was completely gone. Not long after I felt a slow throbbing coming back. Obviously the pills are just a mask, take the edge of and make you high enough to hopefully forget the pain.

Anyhoo, went to the local "natural" store and bought some clove oil and some stuff called "PerioRub" - which has clove oil in it and is to be put directly on gums or teeth for pain. The clove oil on a q-tip had the pain go away almost instantly! But I used too much and now the taste in my mouth is horrendous. And I hope the other periorub stuff works because thats more like a gel that can maybe be inside the hole all night for extended relief.

So my "diet" right now is pain pills and clove oil. But once I get an appetite back it will now be starting a low calorie diet. I just want a sensible diet that anyone taking care of themselves would do. I'm a quitter, so I need a plan to keep me going, then down the road maybe bite off a little more. But for now it'll be lower calories and eating up some more at the gym.

Kathianne
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Not out of the woods yet. It was almost instant relief this morning when the dentist applied the clove paste, and it wasn't long after that I was eating Vicodins like my personal stash of candy. But even as the buzz continued, the clove paste slowly dissipated and eventually was completely gone. Not long after I felt a slow throbbing coming back. Obviously the pills are just a mask, take the edge of and make you high enough to hopefully forget the pain.

Anyhoo, went to the local "natural" store and bought some clove oil and some stuff called "PerioRub" - which has clove oil in it and is to be put directly on gums or teeth for pain. The clove oil on a q-tip had the pain go away almost instantly! But I used too much and now the taste in my mouth is horrendous. And I hope the other periorub stuff works because thats more like a gel that can maybe be inside the hole all night for extended relief.

So my "diet" right now is pain pills and clove oil. But once I get an appetite back it will now be starting a low calorie diet. I just want a sensible diet that anyone taking care of themselves would do. I'm a quitter, so I need a plan to keep me going, then down the road maybe bite off a little more. But for now it'll be lower calories and eating up some more at the gym.

Hmm, won't help when you're sleeping, you might swallow it, but try this with clove oil or the gel. Put some of the stuff on one of your wife's cut up cosmetic removal pads-they don't 'shread' like cotton does. Stick it in the hole. This sounds sicko! :laugh2:

jimnyc
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Hmm, won't help when you're sleeping, you might swallow it, but try this with clove oil or the gel. Put some of the stuff on one of your wife's cut up cosmetic removal pads-they don't 'shread' like cotton does. Stick it in the hole. This sounds sicko! :laugh2:

Are they the round pads? If so, I bought 100 of them already. The woman there recommended them and said I could put the clove oil, just a few drops, and then use them to apply to the dry socket.

Ever put clove oil in your mouth? They might as well just call it liquid ass!

Kathianne
01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Are they the round pads? If so, I bought 100 of them already. The woman there recommended them and said I could put the clove oil, just a few drops, and then use them to apply to the dry socket.

Ever put clove oil in your mouth? They might as well just call it liquid ass!

They come in round or sorta rectangular/square. In either case, they don't shred. I'd be concerned though if you fell asleep with it in there, you might swallow it!

Trinity
01-20-2011, 09:59 PM

ooooowwwwwwww I have had quite a few teeth pulled and was warned about dry socket especially because I was a smoker...thankfully I never had dry socket but I feel your pain....and curious to know how you got it..... because it is caused by the blood clot being removed from the hole which could very easily happen from smoking or drinking through a straw.....were you drinking through a straw???!!!

jimnyc
01-21-2011, 04:24 AM
ooooowwwwwwww I have had quite a few teeth pulled and was warned about dry socket especially because I was a smoker...thankfully I never had dry socket but I feel your pain....and curious to know how you got it..... because it is caused by the blood clot being removed from the hole which could very easily happen from smoking or drinking through a straw.....were you drinking through a straw???!!!

Avoid it at all lengths! Even with a second round of pain meds, having it drained and stuffed, and putting clove oil on it - I was up every few hours last night and just gave up now.

Funny thing is, being a smoker for 20+ years and I have had teeth pulled before, surgeries and all the other things they tell you to not to smoke before/after - and I never had a problem. The first time I have anything done after smoking I get the dry socket.

No smoking, no straw... If anything it was drinking coffee. They say a little is allowed but to avoid too warm of temps for the area. That's the only thing I can think of.

Trinity
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Avoid it at all lengths! Even with a second round of pain meds, having it drained and stuffed, and putting clove oil on it - I was up every few hours last night and just gave up now.

Funny thing is, being a smoker for 20+ years and I have had teeth pulled before, surgeries and all the other things they tell you to not to smoke before/after - and I never had a problem. The first time I have anything done after smoking I get the dry socket.

No smoking, no straw... If anything it was drinking coffee. They say a little is allowed but to avoid too warm of temps for the area. That's the only thing I can think of.

yeah that would be my luck quit smoking and get a tooth pulled and then get dry socket..... even though I smoke and have for many years and have had many teeth pulled with no dry socket. I'll refrain from quiting smoking until I am sure I will not be needing anymore teeth pulled ;)

jimnyc
01-22-2011, 08:53 AM
yeah that would be my luck quit smoking and get a tooth pulled and then get dry socket..... even though I smoke and have for many years and have had many teeth pulled with no dry socket. I'll refrain from quiting smoking until I am sure I will not be needing anymore teeth pulled ;)

Every time I ever heard those words "don't smoke during... after..." - I just smoked that much more. Never had an issue with it, but I know why they throw out that precaution.

Made it through the entire night last night, but woke up and had to run to the bathroom to put some clove oil on it. With it hurting so bad I don't know how I made it through the night, but hopefully things are slowly going away.

darin
01-22-2011, 10:19 AM
That's the way to do it - Had my wisdom teeth out (that explains things, eh?) via oral-surgeon. Any further pulls will be at least semi-unconscious.

Abbey Marie
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Geez, Jim, I am sorry. It's hard to enjoy anything when you feel like that. Isn't there anything permanent the dentist can do to ease your pain?

jimnyc
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Geez, Jim, I am sorry. It's hard to enjoy anything when you feel like that. Isn't there anything permanent the dentist can do to ease your pain?

The only permanent solution is to pull the tooth, which they have done. The rest is on the patient to take care of the "socket" and hope an infection doesn't develop. Unfortunately, when it comes to teeth, even the smallest of issues can be very painful. It's just a matter of waiting it out now for the entire socket down into the bone to fully heal. The prescribed medication helps, but doesn't fix. When I don't have that, the 800mg of ibuprofen helps. Definitely getting better now though.