PDA

View Full Version : Detroit May Close Half of Its Schools to Pay for Union Benefits

red states rule
01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Time to file for bankruptcy and dump the unions!

Without aid, DPS may close half of its schools

Detroit Public Schools would close nearly half of its schools in the next two years, and increase high school class sizes to 62 by the following year, under a deficit-reduction plan filed with the state.

The plan, part of a monthly update Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb gives the Department of Education, was filed late Monday to provide insight into Bobb's progress in his attempt to slash a $327 million deficit in the district to zero over the next several years. Under it, the district would slim down from 142 schools now to 72 during 2012-13.

Bobb has said school closures, bigger classes and other measures would be needed if he cannot get help from lawmakers to restructure finances in the state's largest school district.

DPS considered but declined to file for bankruptcy in 2009. In the past year, debt in the district has increased by more than $100 million, brought on by a mix of revenue declines in property taxes, reduced state aid, declining enrollment and an unplanned staffing surge this past fall.

Starting this fall, the district plans to boost class sizes in grades 4-12 and at all grade levels by fiscal 2012, which begins July 1, to save $16.8 million. The plan would hike class sizes for: Grades K-3 from 17-25 students to 29 in 2012-13 and 31 in 2013-14.

Grades 4-5 from 30 students to 37 in 2012-13 and 39 in 2013-14.

Grades 6-8 from 35 students to 45 in 2012-13 and 47 in 2013-14.

Grades 9-12 from 35 students to 60 in 2012-13 and 62 in 2013-14.

Because the district's contract with the Detroit Federation of Teachers requires payments to teachers for class sizes that exceed specified maximums, the district estimates it would spend $10 million in oversize class pay over four years.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110112/SCHOOLS/101120356/Without-aid--DPS-may-close-half-of-its-schools#ixzz1BOAWXLso

Indy
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Time to file for bankruptcy and dump the unions!
Another city destroyed by liberals and the unions. Maybe instead of scraping it off one house at a time they should just bulldoze the entire city, and relocate what's left of the population. It would be more cost effective in the long run.

fj1200
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Just one more example of the failure of state sponsored monopoly.

Nukeman
01-18-2011, 01:46 PM
What the hells the difference they have one of the LOWEST graduations rates in the country. I mean seriously how can they claim these classes are going to be the size when they have a graduation rate of 32%

That is PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is the "study" the schools did showed 68%.. I say BS since EVERY other study is pathetic!!!!

Since so many of the libs on here like this site I thought i would pull one of their articles... its actaully worse than the one I read

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11601692

gabosaurus
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Way to skate around the truth, RSR. But obviously your reading comprehension skills are not what they should be.
If you read the entire story, you realize that this is an emergency, last-step measure if other budget cutting measures fail. Like many school system, Detroit is heavily in debt.
Now let us read the offending passage:

Because the district's contract with the Detroit Federation of Teachers requires payments to teachers for class sizes that exceed specified maximums, the district estimates it would spend $10 million in oversize class pay over four years.

Not that the $10 million would ONLY be spent if the emergency plan is put into effect and class sizes have to be increased.

Dear RSR, must you always enhance the truth to make your right-wing points? Other members of this board might be dumb enough and gullible enough to be taken in, but some of us are not.

Binky
01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Another city destroyed by liberals and the unions. Maybe instead of scraping it off one house at a time they should just bulldoze the entire city, and relocate what's left of the population. It would be more cost effective in the long run.

I suspect it would've helped if the ones running Detroit weren't mismanaging funds and doing money shuffling around from one location to the other. For a huge city it sure as hell has it's head up it's butt when it comes to making sure it's kids get a decent education.

Gaffer
01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
That's what happens when thugs and gangsters run the city.