PDA

View Full Version : Boston cat called to jury duty

namvet
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Officials reject request for disqualification

A cat in Boston has been called to jury duty even though his owner has insisted to court officials that the cat cannot speak English.

Sal the cat recently received a summons to appear at Suffolk Superior Court on March 23.

His owners, Anna and Guy Esposito, filed to have Sal disqualified for jury service, but the request was denied.

In her application, Anna Esposito said that Sal "is unable to speak and understand English," one of 10 statutory qualifications for disqualification from service. (Others include "not a United States citizen," "under age 18" and "over age 70.")

The judicial branch website states that U.S. citizens who "do not speak and understand English sufficiently well may be disqualified."

"Jurors are not expected to speak perfect English," it specifies.

The Espositos believe Sal may have been mistakenly listed after they named him on a recent U.S. census in a question about pet ownership.

According to the Massachusetts Judicial Branch, "prospective jurors are selected randomly by computer from a Master Juror List … using street lists submitted annually by each city and town."

link (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/13/cat-jury-duty.html#ixzz1BJ6b0Ydr)

so does purrr mean not guilty ???? :laugh2:

Gaffer
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
What makes this even funnier is the fact the cat couldn't be disqualified for not speaking English. :laugh2:

If the cat doesn't show up for jury duty will they issue a warrant?

People are selected from voter registration for jury duty. Makes me wonder if the cat voted this last election.

namvet
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
What makes this even funnier is the fact the cat couldn't be disqualified for not speaking English. :laugh2:

If the cat doesn't show up for jury duty will they issue a warrant?

People are selected from voter registration for jury duty. Makes me wonder if the cat voted this last election.

if they issue the warrant and its clawed no way in hell am i gonna serve it !!!!

yeah i think ACORN is more active than we thought.

NightTrain
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
That would be great if the government got his name on the list from the last election.

I'd bet money that 'Sal the Cat' is a registered Democrat.

gabosaurus
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Our cat Prince has never been called to jury duty, but he does receive credit card applications. Due primarily to the fact that my daughter filled out a piece of junk mail once with the cat's name and address on it.