PDA

View Full Version : Should Rahm Emanuel be allowed to run for mayor?

Thunderknuckles
01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41235763/ns/politics-more_politics/

"A state appellate court on Monday threw former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election."

Under a strict interpretation of law I suppose Rahm does not qualify to run for Mayor of Chicago because he did not reside in Chicago for a year prior to the election. He is going to appeal the decision based on the argument that he never gave up his Chicago residency and only moved he and his family temporarily to Washington to work for the President at his request.

I sympathize with his position in that you should not be required to relinquish your residency should the President call upon you to serve under their administration from Washington. On the other hand it makes sense to assume that you'll grow out of touch with the pulse of your hometown community the longer you serve under the President, especially if you serve under a 2 term President, and therefore should not be eligible to run for Mayor under strict interpretation of law.

What do you folks think?
Does Rahm's argument have legs?

Kathianne
01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41235763/ns/politics-more_politics/

"A state appellate court on Monday threw former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago mayor because he didn't live in the city in the year before the election."

Under a strict interpretation of law I suppose Rahm does not qualify to run for Mayor of Chicago because he did not reside in Chicago for a year prior to the election. He is going to appeal the decision based on the argument that he never gave up his Chicago residency and only moved he and his family temporarily to Washington to work for the President at his request.

I sympathize with his position in that you should not be required to relinquish your residency should the President call upon you to serve under their administration from Washington. On the other hand it makes sense to assume that you'll grow out of touch with the pulse of your hometown community the longer you serve under the President, especially if you serve under a 2 term President, and therefore should not be eligible to run for Mayor under strict interpretation of law.

What do you folks think?
Does Rahm's argument have legs?

I'll make a wild prediction that the appeal will favor Rahm. However, if he hadn't put the house up for rent, I don't think this would have happened in the first place. My Congressman maintains a home both here in IL and a place to stay in D.C.. That keeps residency in force. Instead Rahm turned his house into income property.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Should Rahm Emanuel be allowed to run for mayor?

Sure. In any city where he's eligible.

I believe the complete list is:

1.) Washington DC

--------------------------------

Or are you asking, should the rules in Chicago be broken?

Then what's the point of having rules?

Nukeman
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM

1.) Washington DC

Then what's the point of having rules?Yep have to agree here. did he LIVE in Chicago for the prerequisit time frame?? if the answer is anything other than yes than the "carpet bagger" needs to go

Monkeybone
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
they let him back on for now it seems. Wonder is he had Obama call to whine and complain for him. Or he had something on the judge.. i mean it is Chicago politics.

The Illinois Supreme Court has just issued a stay of the appeals court's order knocking Rahm Emanuel off the ballot and directing the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners to restore his name to the ballot.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/25/5915616-ill-court-issues-stay-rahm-back-on-the-ballot

Little-Acorn
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
they let him back on for now it seems. Wonder is he had Obama call to whine and complain for him. Or he had something on the judge.. i mean it is Chicago politics.

The Illinois Supreme Court's order included a command that if any ballots are printed while the ISC is considering the issue, Rahm Emmanuel's name must be on them.

One effect this will have, is that printing presses all over Illinois were slammed into overdrive, and will be running nonstop, 24/7. At least until the ISC comes out with its final verdict.

----------------------------------

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/25/5915616-ill-court-issues-stay-rahm-back-on-the-ballot

Ill. court issues stay; Rahm back on the ballot

From NBC's John Yang
Jan. 25, 2011 - 45 minutes ago

The Illinois Supreme Court has just issued a stay of the appeals court's order knocking Rahm Emanuel off the ballot and directing the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners to restore his name to the ballot.

This is a strong indication that the court will accept the case and, perhaps, of which way the justices are leaning.

*** UPDATE *** NBC's Pete Williams has more:

Less than 24 hours after an Illinois appeals court bumped Rahm Emanuel off the ballot for Chicago's election for mayor, the state's supreme court put that ruling on hold and ordered the city to include his name on any ballots being printed.

"The Board of Elections is directed that if any ballots are printed while this Court is considering this case, the ballots should include the name of petitioner Rahm Emanuel as a candidate for Mayor of the City of Chicago," the Supreme Court said in a one-page, unsigned order.

The court said it acted after receiving legal briefs from Emanuel and from his legal opponents who claimed he was unqualified because he did not meet residency requirements of state law. Today's order left unresolved whether the state's high court would take up the entire case on a speeded-up basis, but the order gave Emanuel the rapid relief he was seeking -- to keep his name on the ballot.

Little-Acorn
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
P.S. I guess that answers my previous question: What's the point of having rules?

Little-Acorn
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
There is no truth to the rumor that a dead fish, wrapped in black judicial robes, was delivered anonymously to the office of Thomas L. Kilbride, Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court this morning.

Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

Thunderknuckles
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM

1.) Washington DC

Then what's the point of having rules?
No.
I am asking about how one interprets the rules, specifically the definition of "Residency" for those serving their country.
As an example, I don't believe soldiers lose their home residency because they are not physically present within a state due to the fact they are away serving their country. Rahm's situation is similar in that he was physically not present due to the fact he was serving his country at the request of the President.

From an update found at www.boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2011/01/25/emanuel_candidacy_in_doubt_after_ill_court_ruling/?rss_id=Top+Stories):

"His lawyers raise several points, including that the appeals court applied a stricter definition of "residency" than the one used for voters. They say Illinois courts have never required candidates to be physically present in the state to seek office there.

By adopting this new requirement, the court rejected state law allowing people to keep their residence in Illinois even if they are away doing work for the state or federal government, the appeal said."

Forget about the fact that we are talking about Rahm Emanuel and apply this to anyone running for office. Do you agree with the court's logic on this?

To go back to my initial post, I see the validity in both sides of the argument and I have not made up my mind on which side of the fence I will fall.

red states rule
01-31-2011, 04:33 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/aria110130_cmyk20110128110730.jpg