PDA

View Full Version : McConnell - We’ll have a repeal vote

red states rule
01-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Why are Dems so afraid to have a straight up and down vote. Perhaps Reid and Obama are worried enough of them will jump ship to try and save their jobs in 2012?

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell wielded a procedural rule in a way that sounded a lot like a dare, just hours before the State of the Union speech.

McConnell invoked Rule 14 to try to bring a health care repeal bill on the Senate calendar without going through committees first. In theory, it could force a vote on the repeal bill passed in the House last week as early as Thursday. It won’t — Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada sets the floor schedule, and Democrats can object to bringing it up.

But the move is McConnell’s way of telling Democrats he’ll try to force a repeal vote in any way he can.

“I don’t know why in the world they wouldn’t want to have a vote on repeal and proudly vote against it,” McConnell told reporters earlier Tuesday. “But if they choose not to — to have the vote in a, sort of, volunteer — voluntary way, we will have it, I assure you.”

Republican leaders have been promising to put pressure on Senate Democrats even though there’s virtually no chance the majority would approve a repeal of the health care law, as the House did last week. And there’s even less chance that Obama would sign it into law if it did reach his desk.

By trying to force a vote, however, Republicans can win favor with their base voters and Tea Party groups that have demanded the GOP fight the health care law at every turn.

Democrats dismissed the move

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48190.html#ixzz1C8DjXUA0

logroller
01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Why are Dems so afraid to have a straight up and down vote. Perhaps Reid and Obama are worried enough of them will jump ship to try and save their jobs in 2012?

Sometimes I wonder how anything gets done in Washington. Introducing a bill, pushing it through w/o committees, and by some chance getting it passed -- just to have vetoed from the president. WHat's the point? Why not amend the bill, spend time and energy on that-- atleast it has a chance of impacting legislation. Isnt that what congress was created to do-- make laws?

fj1200
01-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Isnt that what congress was created to do-- make laws?

It's usually better when they don't. Witness the last two years.

logroller
01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
It's usually better when they don't. Witness the last two years.

Ida know-- economy is doin better, reinvestment act has helped construction a lot where I'm at, and on things that needed to be done to increase longterm growth and efficiency- so atleast some lawmaking is helpful.

Palin Rider
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Ida know-- economy is doin better, reinvestment act has helped construction a lot where I'm at, and on things that needed to be done to increase longterm growth and efficiency- so atleast some lawmaking is helpful.

Don't bother trying to reason with these two: all they want is for Repubs to rearrange deck chairs so they can blame Obama for everything.

SassyLady
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Where do you live that is showing improvement, especially in construction? I know a couple of people in the construction industry that might be willing to relocate if they could find work.

logroller
01-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Where do you live that is showing improvement, especially in construction? I know a couple of people in the construction industry that might be willing to relocate if they could find work.

Kern County.

SassyLady
01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Kern County.

Are you serious? You are not going to believe this ... I have two sisters and one of my brothers who live in Kern County. I lived there from 1959 to 1978....I just drove through there last night on my way home from Tucson. I was reminded of why I left....the fog, the smell....especially around Harris Ranch.

And you are saying that the economy is improving there? That not what I hear.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x1260937145/Kern-unemployment-rate-climbs-for-second-straight-month

UNEMPLOYMENT IN KERN COUNTY

The county's jobless rate jumped to 16.2 percent in December. The figure was 12.3 percent in California and 9.1 percent nationwide.

DragonStryk72
01-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Let's talk about that long-term growth for a moment there. Where does the money come for it come from, when we are already deficit-spending? We aren't paying down the debt at all, so this tacks onto that. Then of course the interest inflates a bit, and this continues to accrue. So really, it's short-term growth, with the promise of long-term failure because we aren't obeying the most basic economic rule: Spend less than you make

fj1200
01-27-2011, 08:02 AM

If true, it's good to hear but you have to weigh the anti-growth measures vs. the "stimulus" measures. I dare say the former outweighs any positives from the latter.

Don't bother trying to reason with these two: all they want is for Repubs to rearrange deck chairs so they can blame Obama for everything.

See above. But you alluding to BO as Titanic is apropos.

red states rule
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Seems more and more unions and corporations do not want Obamacare

Thus the White House are issuing more and more waivers. We are now up to 729 waivers covering over 2 million workers

Yet the Dems flip off the voters and refuse to repeal the damn thing

http://www.hhs.gov/ociio/regulations/approved_applications_for_waiver.html

Palin Rider
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
See above. But you alluding to BO as Titanic is apropos.
Actually BO didn't become captain until after the Titanic hit the Wall Street iceberg.

red states rule
01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Actually BO didn't become captain until after the Titanic hit the Wall Street iceberg.

Another "blame Bush" excuse?

Really, that excuse has run its course and is no longer taken seriously

fj1200
01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Actually BO didn't become captain until after the Titanic hit the government iceberg.

so true considering the S' hit the fan after 1/3/07.

red states rule
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
so true considering the S' hit the fan after 1/3/07.

and when not voting "present", Obama voted for most the "S" that hit the fan

Palin Rider
01-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Another "blame Bush" excuse?

Really, that excuse has run its course and is no longer taken seriously

Neither is your Obama Derangement Syndrome.

red states rule
01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Neither is your Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Like clockwork, you ignore the results of November 2, 2010 and what the voters have said since Obamacare was rammed thru

56% of registered voters want REPEAL of "Obamacare" while only 36% support the law.

As the battle over the Obama administration's health care law is joined in Congress, most American voters are on the side of the measure's opponents, according to a Fox News poll released Thursday.

When asked to imagine being a lawmaker in Washington and having to vote on whether to keep the new law or repeal it, 56 percent of voters say they would vote to repeal and 39 percent to keep the law in place. Representatives in the U.S. House took that vote Wednesday and voted 245-189 to repeal the law (or 56 percent to 44 percent).

A majority of Democrats would vote to keep the health care law (67 percent), while over half of independents (56 percent) and almost all Republicans (87 percent) would repeal it.

Few voters see an upside to the new law. Some 18 percent of voters think their family would be better off under the health care law. Compare that to 14 percent who thought the law would help their family a year ago (January 2010), and a high of 22 percent who thought so in September 2009.

Twice as many -- 36 percent -- think their family will be worse off under the law.

Yet the largest number of voters -- 40 percent -- doesn’t think the law will make much of a difference to their family one way or the other.

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/56-of-registered-voters-want-repeal-of-obamacare-while-only-36-support-the-law/question-1460689/

Palin Rider
01-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Like clockwork, you ignore the results of November 2, 2010 and what the voters have said since Obamacare was rammed thru

Like a robot, you conclude that every Faux News poll is gospel, Burger King Kid.

red states rule
01-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Like a robot, you conclude that every Faux News poll is gospel, Burger King Kid.

You do makes it way to easy son. Like Obama you are in over your head son

The day before the House of Representatives is slated to vote for legislation to repeal the Obamacare health care law, new polling data shows Americans continue to support repeal, or at least scaling back the measure.

“Support for repeal of the national health care law passed last year remains steady, as most voters continue to believe the law will increase the federal budget deficit,” pollster Scott Rasmussen said yesterday in talking about a new national poll his firm released.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows 55 percent of likely voters favor repeal of the health care law, while 40% oppose repeal. Some 40 percent of likely voters strongly favor repeal while 30 percent are strongly opposed — showing passion remains on the pro-repeal side.

Rasmussen also found voters now trust Republicans more on health care, the second most important voting issue when they ranked their top ten political issues, by a 52% to 38% margin. In December, Democrats had a slight 45% to 43% edge.

Meanwhile, a new Quinnipiac University poll of registered voters, also conducted in early January, shows voters support repeal by 48 percent to 43 percent with 8 percent undecided. Support for repeal is bolstered by independents who want the measure repealed by a 54 percent to 37 percent margin, with 9 percent undecided.

“The Republicans pushing repeal of the health care law have more American people on their side,” said Quinnipiac’s Peter Brown. “While President Obama’s poll rating has improved in recent weeks, the coalition against his health care plan remains and is quite similar to the one that existed when his numbers were at their nadir.”

A new Associated Press poll out this week shows a plurality of Americans oppose the Obamacare law, which has prompted significant abortion-funding and rationing concerns for pro-life groups. The poll also found fifty-nine percent opposed the individual mandate while 31 percent supported it — the part of the legislation requiring every American to purchase health insurance (that could potentially fund abortions).

Finally, a new Gallup/USA Today survey also released this week shows only 13 percent of Americans like the law as it is written.

The plurality in the new poll (32 percent) want the law repealed entirely while 25 percent want the law scaled back and 24 percent want it to be more liberal. So that’s 57 percent who want less of the Obamacare law compared to 37 percent who don’t want any rollbacks of it.

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/01/18/polls-show-voters-still-want-obamacare-repealed-scaled-back/

Palin Rider
01-28-2011, 02:49 PM
You do makes it way to easy son. Like Obama you are in over your head son

Citing polls every day is a classic example of Obama Derangement Syndrome.

DragonStryk72
01-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Doesn't get him off the hook for the other two larger iceberg hits under his command

Palin Rider
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Doesn't get him off the hook for the other two larger iceberg hits under his command

And what would those icebergs be?

red states rule
01-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Citing polls every day is a classic example of Obama Derangement Syndrome.

That poll taken on Nov 2, 2010 is still being ignored by you libs.

Funy how you ignore how the Fox poll has the same results of all the other polls

You Obama supporters refuse to admit the voters reject what you call Obama's great achievement - Obamacare

Palin Rider
01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
That poll taken on Nov 2, 2010 is still being ignored by you libs.

Funy how you ignore how the Fox poll has the same results of all the other polls

You Obama supporters refuse to admit the voters reject what you call Obama's great achievement - Obamacare

I'm dismissing them at the moment just because it's a complete waste of time to reason with you, Burger King Kid.

red states rule
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm dismissing them at the moment just because I am unable to counter the facts you have presented.

Fixed it for you son

Oh and here is another poll that shows you are full of it

Following the House's repeal of the national health care law last week, sending the issue on to the Senate, most voters continue to favor repeal, but support has fallen to its lowest level since late October. Fewer voters also now believe the law will force them to switch their health insurance coverage.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 53% of Likely U.S. Voters favor repeal of the health care law, including 41% who Strongly Favor repeal. Forty-three percent (43%) oppose repeal of the law, with 32% who are Strongly Opposed.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/health_care_law

BoogyMan
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Amending this bill is akin to polishing a turd, logroller. When you are finished you have is a shiney turd, but make no mistake, it is still a turd.

Sometimes I wonder how anything gets done in Washington. Introducing a bill, pushing it through w/o committees, and by some chance getting it passed -- just to have vetoed from the president. WHat's the point? Why not amend the bill, spend time and energy on that-- atleast it has a chance of impacting legislation. Isnt that what congress was created to do-- make laws?

red states rule
01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Amending this bill is akin to polishing a turd, logroller. When you are finished you have is a shiney turd, but make no mistake, it is still a turd.

That is why the entire bill needs to be tossed in the trash bin. Dems never did anything that would allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, malpractice insuarance, or stop the lawyers from filing worthless lawsuites

Things Republicans wanted to include but Dems said no

After all lawyers are a big cash doner to the Dems, and lowering the cost on insurance is not a priority for the Dems