PDA

View Full Version : Time to go lobby

gabosaurus
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I am sitting here at LAX waiting to board my flight to Washington, DC. I am looking forward to discussing education reform and budget issues. I was previously challenged (as were others) to put together a list of budget cuts (I have posted many of them on DP). Now I get to present them to a Congressional sub-committee.
If there is one thing I enjoy, it is talking. So it will be fun to discuss things with blowhards of the elected kind.
I hope everyone has a good weekend. :)

logroller
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I am sitting here at LAX waiting to board my flight to Washington, DC. I am looking forward to discussing education reform and budget issues. I was previously challenged (as were others) to put together a list of budget cuts (I have posted many of them on DP). Now I get to present them to a Congressional sub-committee.
If there is one thing I enjoy, it is talking. So it will be fun to discuss things with blowhards of the elected kind.

Kickass. Hope you have fun.

actsnoblemartin
01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
have fun gabs :)

:dance::clap:

fj1200
01-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I am sitting here at LAX waiting to board my flight to Washington, DC. I am looking forward to discussing education reform and budget issues.

I thank you in advance for lobbying Congress and telling them that the only true reform is one where school choice is magnified through the increased use of charter schools and vouchers. Your efforts are appreciated... unless you have some wro, err, different ideas.

Trigg
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM

have fun, maybe someone will listen

darin
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Privatize education. Stop tax-funding to schools. :)

SassyLady
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
John Stossel says the Federal government should get out of the education system all together.....that the local municipalities should do all the funding from local taxes. He wants to eliminate the Department of Education altogether....I agree.

gabosaurus
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Privatize education. Stop tax-funding to schools. :)

How about we privatize the military and divert the money to education? :)

I am seeking a total overhaul on how education is funded. Right now, federal funding is dependent on how many kids attend school each day. If you want to know why school encourage attendance by illegals (as opposed to turning them away), this is why.
I believe all public schools should be funded equally. Better performing schools will receive addition funding above the basic amount.
Local and state funding is often tied into the school's tax base. If you are an urban school without a tax base, you are often deprived. Same with school districts who use elections to decide whether they can build and fund schools. Everyone wants good schools, but many believe they shouldn't have to pay for them. That is why the tax base should be set and not voted on. Everyone needs equal access to good schools.
If you want to send your kids to private or religious schools, fine. Pony up the extra bucks. But it doesn't remove your tax responsibility.
There should be no public money spent on private or religious schools. Private businesses should pay for themselves.
Good public schools become such by parental involvement. If you are concerned about the education that your child receives, get involved. Attend meetings and talk with instructors. I talk with parents all day. And sometimes in the evening. School board meetings are open. You have the right to know just about everything.
Schools are our nation's most crucial resource. What is more important in anyone's life than their kids?

You want budget cuts? I have budget cuts for you.
**I think the U.S. should end all military involvement in Afghanistan by the end of 2011. If we want to keep advisers there, fine. But it is time to quit pouring money down the rat hole.
**If you examine the military budget, you find a lot of bases and weapons projects that only continue as pork projects by area legislators. Find the ones that are no longer necessary (there are many) and shut them down. The savings would be considerable.
**Look at the various earmarks and pork projects that have been pushed through by the more powerful members of Congress, GOP and Dem. Many of them will make your head swim. The amount of backroom deals and trade offs are staggering. There is a desperate need for line item veto and an end to earmarks and concession projects.
**There needs to be total transparency in campaign contributions. Let's find out who is giving what, under what names, to who. And relate that to voting records. It does affect the budget.

Got any other ideas? I would be interested to know.

Missileman
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM

I am seeking a total overhaul on how education is funded. Right now, federal funding is dependent on how many kids attend school each day. If you want to know why school encourage attendance by illegals (as opposed to turning them away), this is why.
I believe all public schools should be funded equally. Better performing schools will receive addition funding above the basic amount.
Local and state funding is often tied into the school's tax base. If you are an urban school without a tax base, you are often deprived. Same with school districts who use elections to decide whether they can build and fund schools. Everyone wants good schools, but many believe they shouldn't have to pay for them. That is why the tax base should be set and not voted on. Everyone needs equal access to good schools.
If you want to send your kids to private or religious schools, fine. Pony up the extra bucks. But it doesn't remove your tax responsibility.
There should be no public money spent on private or religious schools. Private businesses should pay for themselves.
Good public schools become such by parental involvement. If you are concerned about the education that your child receives, get involved. Attend meetings and talk with instructors. I talk with parents all day. And sometimes in the evening. School board meetings are open. You have the right to know just about everything.
Schools are our nation's most crucial resource. What is more important in anyone's life than their kids?

**I think the U.S. should end all military involvement in Afghanistan by the end of 2011. If we want to keep advisers there, fine. But it is time to quit pouring money down the rat hole.
**If you examine the military budget, you find a lot of bases and weapons projects that only continue as pork projects by area legislators. Find the ones that are no longer necessary (there are many) and shut them down. The savings would be considerable.
**Look at the various earmarks and pork projects that have been pushed through by the more powerful members of Congress, GOP and Dem. Many of them will make your head swim. The amount of backroom deals and trade offs are staggering. There is a desperate need for line item veto and an end to earmarks and concession projects.
**There needs to be total transparency in campaign contributions. Let's find out who is giving what, under what names, to who. And relate that to voting records. It does affect the budget.

There are definitely changes needed in public education, but revamping funding won't amount to anything unless you first get rid of teacher unions. We've allowed those parasites to drag us into the basement and as long as they're unionized, they have no incentive to change.

I also have no problem with pulling the troops out of the ME under the right conditions Bring them all home and assign them to border security. I would also make sure the Islamic fundies knew that any agression on their part against us, our allies, or interests would result in immediate carpet bombing of one of their cities...totally level the shithole...that sound okay?

I would also immediately put a quota on all imports(including oil) and totally shut them off in 2-years. If we don't buy it, we'll have to make it ourselves. Think of all the new factories that would have to open and all the people needed to work in them. The prices for US made goods would be reasonable too as I'd make unions illegal.

I don't like the idea of line item veto, I prefer the congress commit to not adding earmarks to legislation. Push come to shove, they could always pass single purpose bills and then there's no need for line item veto.

Mr. P
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM

Here's $343 Billion. You can forget the line item veto though, it's unconstitutional. No worries though, yer boy says he won't sign anything with pork in it..but then I think he told us that before too.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2010/10/How-to-Cut-343-Billion-from-the-Federal-Budget

SassyLady
01-26-2011, 11:50 PM

How about we make parents pay an annual fee to have their children attend public schools. Right now people who own property are paying the majority of the taxes that support schools ... but I wonder how many of the kids attending school have parents who actually pay property taxes.

Maybe the birth rate would decline if people knew they had to pay a "tax" on having children. Perhaps the parents would either pay a "fee" or "barter" to do some volunteer work.

Whatever, it should be more equal....the more kids you have, the more taxes you should pay.

Mr. P
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
How about we make parents pay an annual fee to have their children attend public schools. Right now people who own property are paying the majority of the taxes that support schools ... but I wonder how many of the kids attending school have parents who actually pay property taxes.

Maybe the birth rate would decline if people knew they had to pay a "tax" on having children. Perhaps the parents would either pay a "fee" or "barter" to do some volunteer work.

Whatever, it should be more equal....the more kids you have, the more taxes you should pay.

Like the spaghetti sauce says "It's in there" , even in rentals. We all, one way or another, whether we rent or own, pay tax for schools.

I'd like to see an exemption at some age for seniors who own their home.

SassyLady
01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Like the spaghetti sauce says "It's in there" , even in rentals. We all, one way or another, whether we rent or own, pay tax for schools.

I'd like to see an exemption at some age for seniors who own their home.

Sort of .... I live in my nice home, with just myself and my husband and pay property taxes of $7,500/year...and have no kids attending school. I'm paying a good portion to the local school district.

My neighbor, who lives to the East in a run-down shack and has five kids is only paying $2,000/year.

My other neighbor, to the West (with three kids), is renting his place .... but the assessed value has not gone up in over 25 years because the house hasn't changed owners. He's certainly not paying equally to the school district.

Seems there has to be a better system.

treedancer
01-27-2011, 01:11 AM

There are plenty of bases we can close in Europe that would save a ton of money. :beer:

NightTrain
01-27-2011, 01:28 AM

Considering how you libs howl now about Haliburton, I can't imagine how you'd scream about a corporate military force actually killing those poor misunderstood malcontents.

What is more important in anyone's life than their kids?

I truly cringe at the thought that you are influencing impressionable youth - granted, they're in California and my kids will most likely loathe them as I do you, but still... they deserve an honest chance at being normal red-blooded Americans instead of appeasing white flag waving hippies. Just sayin.

I notice there is no cuts in liberal arts or welfare. Strange, those should be the first to be cut.

So we should just pull out, admitting defeat to extremists that will only be emboldened by our display of liberal cowardice. Yep, that'll solve everything, once the Taliban re-establish control over Afghanistan and the USA is proven to be a Paper Tiger, as discussed within AQ previously during Clinton's pussy policy prior to 9-11.

Yes, because you liberals have a Crystal Ball that can determine which technology is viable. Such as Stealth Technology, which renders enemy anti aircraft defenses obsolete, and we're the only country that has it and can wipe out any country on this planet - directly due to rolling the dice and taking the chance on a risky technology that cost trillions to develop and implement.

Bases? WTF do you know about strategic placement of our armed forces and assets?

Take a look at your hero Obama's HC project. It will wreck the best medical system in the world, making skilled professionals either leave America or change professions, relegating us to at best a second-rate medical nation and increase costs and fraud exponentially.

Don't think so? Take a look at Social Security. Yeah, let's start with that.

This is the second time ever that I have agreed with you.

Here's a Fun Fact : Your socialist ideas imparted to you from your pals at Cal have been tried before. They didn't work then, and they don't work now. Seek out a legit history professor and he'll clue you in.

Be unique, tell your fellow Commies at the next opportunity on lunch break that communism is dead and to stop brainwashing those poor innocent children.

NightTrain
01-27-2011, 02:00 AM

The odds of you interfacing with a sub committee are zero. You'd need a teaching degree to do that.

Thanks for playing, remember to puff puff pass.

SassyLady
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
So Gabby, how did your lobbying work out? Did you get what you wanted?

My son-in-law is also in DC this week but not lobbying congress. He's working on creating a new business, and hopefully so new jobs. He said it's pretty cold there and lots of snow.

fj1200
02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
So Gabby, how did your lobbying work out? Did you get what you wanted?

My son-in-law is also in DC this week but not lobbying congress. He's working on creating a new business, and hopefully so new jobs. He said it's pretty cold there and lots of snow.

Good to hear your son-in-law is actually attempting to make a positive contribution to society... Unless schools made some miraculous improvements in the past week that I wasn't aware of.

SassyLady
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Good to hear your son-in-law is actually attempting to make a positive contribution to society... Unless schools made some miraculous improvements in the past week that I wasn't aware of.

He's meeting with a scientist from Kuwait and some investors. Something he's been working on for about two years. We hope it is finally going to move to the next stage.

He's already a small business owner ... dental office (3 different locations and multiple dentists), multi-marketing, produce (veggies) distribution in Mexico and California. He's definitely an entrepreneur ... his biggest dream is to buy a large section of land somewhere and build a family compound ... raising our own food and becoming self sufficient for the most part. And, he has lots of family so it would have to be at least 1000 acres or more ... to house everyone and have fields for animals and farming.