PDA

View Full Version : Tough Truths

Kathianne
01-26-2011, 06:50 PM
We're in a shitload of trouble. Saying 'we' makes me feel better, though it's the truth. My own problems make the articles crystal:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/01/the-president-as-micromanager/70255/

The President as Micromanager
By Megan McArdle
While watching the speech, I tweeted that "Obama sounds remarkably similar to the CEOs I used to listen to on earnings calls: the ones with mediocre EPS and a failing business model." This wasn't a crack at Obama, or Democrats; it was a reaction to the content. And after watching the responses, the impression lingers--indeed, maybe it's strengthened.

The nation is facing some really difficult problems, particularly on the fiscal front. There's no longer any way to put it off; pretty soon, the government is going to have to start making some very hard choices about taxes and spending. No matter what it chooses, that probably means lower economic growth, angry voters, and some real loss on the part of whoever's ox is gored...

...It's not that Obama doesn't know how to fix the problems; I think that like most people in Washington, he understands the broad parameters within which the fixes will be carried out. But he can't make Congress do it before there's an actual crisis. And saying all of this is all too likely to trigger the crisis--a crisis he'd much rather would happen during someone else's presidency. So he tells us what we want to hear: that we need to find a way to fix Social Security without, y'know, changing it in any way. And will you look at those green jobs! I think we're going to have a bumper crop!

The reason he does this, of course, is that like the analysts on all of those calls, we let him. Indeed, we actively, even eagerly, participate in the denial. After all, if we knew how to fix the company, we'd be CEOs, not sitting on the couch kvetching about their nonsense.

fj1200
01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
BO has no clue, but neither do most Reps up there. They think that the solution is something that government does, it's exactly the opposite. It's what government shouldn't do that will lead to a real resurgence. Government should be getting out of the way and then asking if they should build a road or approve a power plant or something else that may actually be helpful.