PDA

View Full Version : Color-coded alert system gets dumped

Palin Rider
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is expected to announce Thursday that the almost 9-year-old threat alert system will go away in April. It will be replaced by the new National Terror Advisory System that will focus on specific threats in geographical areas, a department source said Wednesday....
..."The old color coded system taught Americans to be scared, not prepared," said ranking member Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Mississippi. "Each and every time the threat level was raised, very rarely did the public know the reason, how to proceed, or for how long to be on alert. I have raised concerns for years about the effectiveness of the system and have cited the need for improvements and transparency. Many in Congress felt the system was being used as a political scare tactic -- raising and lowering the threat levels when it best suited the Bush administration."
Source (http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/26/threat.level.system.change/index.html)

revelarts
01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Whne I read the headline i thought "YEAH!!!".
then I read the rest and i thought "AW maan c'mon.."

Still a scare tactic, now a kinder gentler scare tactic.

Fie on both ye parties, Jokers and Liars all.

Palin Rider
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Whne I read the headline i thought "YEAH!!!".
then I read the rest and i thought "AW maan c'mon.."

Still a scare tactic, now a kinder gentler scare tactic.

Fie on both ye parties, Jokers and Liars all.
The replacement plan hasn't been unveiled yet, so it's a little early to rush to judgment, there.

The spin, of course, is that it will be better targeted, which even the Repubs are acknowledging. Stay tuned.

Mr. P
01-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Shelve the whole thing and save the millions it probably costs. If anything is a concern just make a news release. When was the last time anyone heard what the threat level was? I can't remember the last time.

Palin Rider
01-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Shelve the whole thing and save the millions it probably costs. If anything is a concern just make a news release. When was the last time anyone heard what the threat level was? I can't remember the last time.

But if we did that, what else would GWB's Homeland Security department do with their time?

NightTrain
01-27-2011, 02:05 AM
But if we did that, what else would GWB's Homeland Security department do with their time?

They could keep tabs on young commies like you living in Mom's basement. That would be acceptable.

Palin Rider
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
They could keep tabs on young commies like you living in Mom's basement. That would be acceptable.

At least come up with a new tagline. :lame2: