PDA

View Full Version : A decade of race-blind admissions at Cal

Abbey Marie
05-06-2007, 11:39 PM
A decade of race-blind admissions at Cal
By MICHELLE LOCKE, Associated Press Writer
59 minutes ago

BERKELEY, Calif. - A fit of spring-cleaning led Eric Brooks to a box of old newspaper clips from 1997. That's when he was the lone black student enrolled in the incoming law school class at the University of California, Berkeley, following the end of affirmative action admissions.
Ten years later, the numbers of underrepresented minorities at UC have rebounded at the undergraduate level, although they haven't kept pace with high school graduation rates. But more blacks and Hispanics are also going to lesser-known branches of the 10-campus system and fewer to the flagships of Berkeley and UCLA.
Meanwhile, the movement toward race-blind admissions is spreading. Florida, Texas and Michigan have rewritten their admissions rules. Ward Connerly, the UC regent who started it all, is taking his campaign for race-blind admissions to as many as five more states next year, including Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma and Arizona.

"If things unfold the way I am predicting they will unfold," Connerly said, "I think we are witnessing the end of an era."

The debate over affirmative action begins with how you define affirmative action.

To Connerly, it's a system of "racial preferences" that drive a wedge between people. To his opponents, it's a way to recognize that not everyone starts with the same advantages.

The debate came to UC in 1995 when, in a bitterly contested 14-10 vote, the system's governing Board of Regents voted to stop looking at applicants' race, effective for graduate students in 1997 and for undergrads the following year.

In 1996, Connerly took the movement statewide with Proposition 209, which banned consideration of race in public hiring, contracting and education.

A similar measure passed in Washington state in 1998, and Texas affirmative action policies fell in 1996 with a federal appeals court ruling.

In Florida, Connerly launched a campaign similar to Proposition 209. Then-Gov. Jeb Bush opposed the measure as divisive but implemented his own "One Florida" plan eliminating the use of race or gender in higher education and government hiring.

The tide seemed to turn in 2003 when the Supreme Court, ruling in two University of Michigan cases, said race could be used as a limited factor in college admissions.

But Connerly and his supporters countered with a successful initiative last fall banning consideration of race in Michigan admissions.

What has it all meant?

Florida figures released last fall showed black students made up 13.7 percent of enrollment in state universities, compared to 14.2 percent when One Florida was implemented in 1999.

At the University of Texas at Austin, minority enrollment dropped after the 1996 federal court ruling, but has since rebounded. Last fall, 1,914 black students enrolled compared to 1,911 in 1996.
The year Brooks enrolled, 14 black students were admitted to UC's Boalt Hall School of Law, but none attended. He'd been admitted the year before but deferred admission, making him the last black student admitted under the old affirmative action policies.

Last fall, 13 black students enrolled, a big increase from 1997 but still below the mid-'90s totals of 20 or more.

And with more blacks and Hispanics graduating from high schools now than 10years ago, the gap between those numbers and UC enrollment has widened.

"The bottom line on Proposition 209, from where I sit, is it has continued to suppress enrollment," said Ed Tom, director of Boalt admissions.

But does it matter if the numbers of black students dip at elite campuses?

"Not to me it doesn't," said Connerly. "As long as all of our kids have an equal chance to get an education."
Interestingly, Asians, who did not benefit under affirmative action, now make up 36 percent of admissions, up from 33 percent in 1997. That makes Asians overrepresented since California is roughly 44 percent white, 35 percent Hispanic, 12 percent Asian and nearly 7 percent black.

Connerly thinks the growth in Asian admissions since '97 shows they were being discriminated against under the old system.
Brooks sees a way for affirmative action to consider merit, but he doesn't think it's time to banish the concept. "I think that it's useful in that it remedies past discrimination," he said.

But Connerly thinks "most Americans are with me. They realize that this thing has probably outlived its usefulness and it's just a question of how it's going to end and when it's going to end, not whether it's going to end."

hhttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070507/ap_on_re_us/university_diversity;_ylt=AmTeLCAPgJSgD5cr8xetHjdI 2ocA

diuretic
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
A great idea. It always seemed to me to be pretty stupid to have affirmative action at the university level. If high school graduates are to have equal opportunity at a university education then whatever programme should have been in place to achieve that should have been at the earlier levels of schooling.