PDA

View Full Version : School defends experiment to separate black students from whites

Little-Acorn
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
The article states that black students were doing far more poorly on academic tests than caucasian etc. students.

If that's true, how likely is it that it stems in part from the fact that more than 50% of all black children in the country are living in single-parent households, while 21% of caucasian children are?

(See http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/hh-fam/ch3.xls and http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/hh-fam/ch2.xls )

And how much is due to the constant din of "You are held down because of Whitey's racism and oppression" these kids get 24/7, with a near-complete absence of facts or backup, that tells them to not bother to try to succeed? Or tells them that if they try, they are merely "acting white" and are somehow betraying their race?

BTW, I wonder how the test results came out for, say, students of Asian descent vs. caucasian? If it turns out that caucasians were doing worse on these same tests than Asians (frequently the case), what happened to the school's experiment to separate the caucasians from the Asians? Why did they try it with blacks but not with Asians?

---------------------------------------

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350864/School-defends-separation-black-students-boost-academic-results.html

School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic results

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 3:03 PM on 27th January 2011

Defending the move: Principal Bill Jimenez says test results demanded a different approach with students

A high school has defended its decision to segregate students by race and gender.

The scheme, at McCaskey East High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, separates black students from the rest of the school pupils, and then further breaks it down into black females and black males.

The separation is only for a short period - six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month - but it has drawn criticism for raising the spectre of racial segregation.

Today the school's principal defended the policy.
Bill Jimenez said the school noticed that black students were not performing as well as other students, and that research had shown that same-race classes with strong same-race role models led to better academic results.

Mr Jimenez admitted that no other students were divided by race at the school, but he added that academic data dictated the school take a different approach with its black students.

He told Lancasteronline.com: 'One of the things we said when we did this was, "Let's look at the data, let's not run from it. Let's confront it and see what we can do about it".'

The idea came from Angela Tilghman, an instructional coach at McCaskey East.
She said statistics had shown about a third of McCaskey's African-Americans scored proficient or advanced in reading on last year's Pennsylvania System of School Assessment tests, compared with 60 per cent of white students and 42 per cent of students overall.

In mathematics, only 27 per cent of black students scored proficient or advanced.

Thunderknuckles
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Interesting. I'll give the principal credit for saying to hell with political correctness and attacking this head on. It is no secret that both latinos and blacks perform far more poorly than their white and asian counterparts. Is non malicious, race based, class segregation a good idea to try? I don't know. There are all kinds of obvious issues with it at face value but who knows - it may produce some positive results.

I hope they can at least give it a shot before Sharpton descends on them.

Little-Acorn
01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Interesting. I'll give the principal credit for saying to hell with political correctness and attacking this head on. It is no secret that both latinos and blacks perform far more poorly than their white and asian counterparts. Is non malicious, race based, class segregation a good idea to try? I don't know. There are all kinds of obvious issues with it at face value but who knows - it may produce some positive results.

I hope they can at least give it a shot before Sharpton descends on them.

I pointed out what I consider to be the most likely causes of blacks' relatively poor performance.

This principal's "experiment" addresses none of them.

Sort of like finding that your troops on a battlefield are regularly getting filled with bullet holes. Your solution: Move the troops 100 yards to the left where no bullets have been flying.

A "sensible, effective" solution? hardly.

Thunderknuckles
01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I pointed out what I consider to be the most likely causes of blacks' relatively poor performance.

Sort of like finding that your troops on a battlefield are regularly getting filled with bullet holes. Your solution: Move the troops 100 yards to the left where no bullets have been flying.

The problem is that schools can do nothing about what you consider the cause of poor performance. That's a larger issue way out of their scope. They can only address what they have in front of them which is poor performing blacks and latinos. Again, I don't know if this particular experiment is a good one but I can appreciate a principal who is willing to take a leap like this.

Mr. P
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Bill Cosby has the answers..the Black culture didn't wanna hear it.
This attempt will fail because like all the other bright ideas, it doesn't address the problem/s. You can lead a horse to water a thousand different ways, but you can't make em....

Kathianne
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
This attempt will fail because like all the other bright ideas, it doesn't address the problem/s. You can lead a horse to water a thousand different ways, but you can't make em....

He was right then and the answer is still right. Schools that succeed, for blacks and for minorities in general tend to be private or charter. Nearly across the board they demand specific behavior, reward success, have very low tolerance for breaking rules-including completing all homework. Have rigorous, ongoing assessments. Require parental involvement/support for student to remain at school. Basically, what most parochial schools are like. It's not IQ that is tested, rather certain conforming behaviors are expected.

Latinos, particularly Mexicans generally do not put the value on education that most Americans do, including African Americans. This is especially true regarding girls. Even in high income public high schools the girls are more concerned about their 'coming out parties' than school.

I've taught AP Government and AP Western Civ this year for 8 sections as sub. While both had higher percentage of blacks than the school pop, there were 2, yes 2 kids with Hispanic surnames. The 8 sections cover 3 different schools, in every one of them there are more Hispanics than Blacks. Interestingly enough, in each class there were 29-36 students. These are not small classes.

actsnoblemartin
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
in that sense, black culture, not black people is retarded

logroller
01-28-2011, 04:54 AM

Treat the symptom, not the cause.
Kinda like that old joke:

Did you hear that most accidents occur within ten miles of your house? -- I'm moving!

The problem with segregation is it prevents social adaption: an essential skill in a diverse society.

fj1200
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
You are all fools, money will fix the problem.

logroller
01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
You are all fools, money will fix the problem.

Sounds like a forgone campaign slogan.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: