PDA

View Full Version : Sheryl Crow says American arrogance is causing Global Warming

Fountainhead
05-06-2007, 11:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20070505/cm_huffpost/047713

Cheryl blames self-centered Americans for WRECKING the planet.

Personally, I'm gonna wait until the Dixie Chicks and several other learned scienci-type musicians complete the research on this topic.

Maybe then I will start blaming myself

82Marine89
05-07-2007, 12:06 AM
I see it's an opinion piece. Well, I'll offer my opinion. Sheryl Crow is a has been that needs to stick to music. If she wants to extend her 15 minutes of fame, sing something. If she wants to write an op ed, research it before opening her pie hole.

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 01:39 AM
I see it's an opinion piece. Well, I'll offer my opinion. Sheryl Crow is a has been that needs to stick to music. If she wants to extend her 15 minutes of fame, sing something. If she wants to write an op ed, research it before opening her pie hole.

I'd rather she didn't.

If arrogance causes global warming, then we need to start the clean-up in California.

Samantha
05-07-2007, 02:28 AM
I'd rather she didn't.

If arrogance causes global warming, then we need to start the clean-up in California.California is starting to fight global warming. Will your state be next? We certainly can't count on the Bush admin to do anything to cut carbon emissions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9657621

Instead of mocking those who want to save the planet, why not just learn more about how you can help?

Psychoblues
05-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Truth is, Sammi, some of these folks are so stupid that they don't recognize the problem as being a real one.

California is starting to fight global warming. Will your state be next? We certainly can't count on the Bush admin to do anything to cut carbon emissions.

Instead of mocking those who want to save the planet, why not just learn more about how you can help?

I live in one of the most backward states in the Union, Mississippi, and I am doing my very best to ascertain that we as Mississippians do what we can. I really am surprised by our progress in this area and I am encouraged by recent legislation that better times are ahead for us environmentalists that are serious about what we do and what we plan to do.

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 07:43 AM
California is starting to fight global warming. Will your state be next? We certainly can't count on the Bush admin to do anything to cut carbon emissions.

May I suggest you take the same approach to the WOT and Iraq ?

-Cp
05-07-2007, 12:07 PM
We certainly can't count on the Bush admin to do anything to cut carbon emissions.

:link: :link: :link: :link: :link:

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM

I do what I can. This just didn't seem to be a serious discussion, and more of another 'stupid celebrity opens her mouth' thread. I intended to reference the South Park episode wherein San Francisco is the largest source of smug in the country, but was about to go to bed when I posted, thus it wasn't entirely coherant. Please do not misread my intentions.

As for my environmental part, I don't drive a whole lot, and my car gets over 40 miles/gallon on the highway. I try to avoid doing business with companies that don't hold up to emmissions standards, and I'm a huge advocate of clean coal and nuclear technology.

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
I do what I can. This just didn't seem to be a serious discussion, and more of another 'stupid celebrity opens her mouth' thread. I intended to reference the South Park episode wherein San Francisco is the largest source of smug in the country, but was about to go to bed when I posted, thus it wasn't entirely coherant. Please do not misread my intentions.

As for my environmental part, I don't drive a whole lot, and my car gets over 40 miles/gallon on the highway. I try to avoid doing business with companies that don't hold up to emmissions standards, and I'm a huge advocate of clean coal and nuclear technology.

The Smug episode had me in stitches. A must see.

Psychoblues
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Seriously, I laughed my butt off the couch on that one, Dilloduck!!!!

The Smug episode had me in stitches. A must see.

It was GREAT satire!!!!!!! Now, what do we do about OUR environment? Laughing isn't getting anything done, don't you know?

stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
If this is such a national crisis.....

Why didn't Clinton-Gore do anything about it, when they were in the white house...:poke:

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
If this is such a national crisis.....

Why didn't Clinton-Gore do anything about it, when they were in the white house...:poke:

everything was fine then....all this started shortly after the economy started to recover due to the tax cuts

stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
everything was fine then....all this started shortly after the economy started to recover due to the tax cuts

:coffee:

Gunny
05-07-2007, 10:02 PM

Sure. Let's just all get off the Earth. That ought to solve the problem. ;)

emmett
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Personally, I really want to do my part to help reduce global warming. I have stopped flying my personal jet to and from work, I build smaller camp fires at my pond where we fish on Friday nights, I don't idle my big nasty tractor trailer unless it's really hot and I want to learn how to wipe my butt with one sheet of toilet paper.

I just want Sheryl to film a short video demonstrating how this can be done. Just show me, am I using the wrong brand?

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Personally, I really want to do my part to help reduce global warming. I have stopped flying my personal jet to and from work, I build smaller camp fires at my pond where we fish on Friday nights, I don't idle my big nasty tractor trailer unless it's really hot and I want to learn how to wipe my butt with one sheet of toilet paper.

I just want Sheryl to film a short video demonstrating how this can be done. Just show me, am I using the wrong brand?

She only uses one sheet, but because she's important, it's the size of a beach towel.

emmett
05-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Seriously, I laughed my butt off the couch on that one, Dilloduck!!!!

It was GREAT satire!!!!!!! Now, what do we do about OUR environment? Laughing isn't getting anything done, don't you know?

Actually Psycho, I have noticed that you seem to be laughing alot lately. You do realize that hard laughter does release warm breath into the enviornment thereby lending to our serious global warming problem.

As a further observation I wopuld be curious to know if you have mastered the technique of the one sheet wipe as suggested by your coll....coleuge....colleg (how the fuck do you spell coleague anyway?) Sheryl Crow.

emmett
05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
She only uses one sheet, but because she's important, it's the size of a beach towel.

Man, you be from Northern Iowa and that would be funny!

That makes me want to do a 360 in my private jet!

Psychoblues
05-07-2007, 10:44 PM
emmett, at my age I carry toilet paper just for farts. Know what I mean?

Actually Psycho, I have noticed that you seem to be laughing alot lately. You do realize that hard laughter does release warm breath into the enviornment thereby lending to our serious global warming problem.

As a further observation I wopuld be curious to know if you have mastered the technique of the one sheet wipe as suggested by your coll....coleuge....colleg (how the fuck do you spell coleague anyway?) Sheryl Crow.

I figure with some laughter the alcohol content of my breath will somewhat diffuse the CO2 emissions around me and the NOX releases from the CIA will be less forthcoming while the H2O fermented will diminish the effects of the BS as prescribed by the PTB's from the WH.

Dig it?

stephanie
05-07-2007, 11:01 PM

I figure with some laughter the alcohol content of my breath will somewhat diffuse the CO2 emissions around me and the NOX releases from the CIA will be less forthcoming while the H2O fermented will diminish the effects of the BS as prescribed by the PTB's from the WH.

Dig it?

:eek:
:laugh2:

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 11:13 PM

Colleague

emmett
05-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Dig it?

Psycho, I don't care what they say about ya bud, your OK with me! I'm still laughing!

Abbey Marie
05-07-2007, 11:26 PM

I think I know why Lance called it quits.

stephanie
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I think I know why Lance called it quits.

Yeah but....He's going to miss out on all the moula from Sheryl's clothing line, made for GW..

You know....The blouse with the detachable napkin sleeve to wipe your mouth and nose on....:coffee:

Samantha
05-08-2007, 12:52 AM
:link: :link: :link: :link: :link:

My pleasure.

JULY 29, 2003

Senate Bows to Auto Industry, Bush Administration--Ditches Fuel Economy Improvements

WASHINGTON - July 29 - The Senate today gave the Bush Administration and auto industry increased power to hold up progress on fuel economy standards. The Sierra Club criticized the Senate for doing nothing to save consumers money at the pump, reduce America's oil dependence and reduce global warming pollution. Instead, Senators passed a sham amendment proposed by Senators Carl Levin (D-MI) and Kit Bond (R-MO).
The Senate voted for the irresponsible Levin-Bond amendment, allowing the Bush Administration to deepen our oil dependence. The Senate failed to pass an amendment to significantly improve the fuel economy of cars and light trucks introduced by Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL).

"In handing our nation's energy security over to the auto industry, the Senate bowed to the pressure of the Bush Administration working in cahoots with the auto industry," said Daniel F. Becker, Director of Sierra Club's Global Warming and Energy Program.

The Levin-Bond amendment leaves the fuel economy and safety issue to the Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) without providing them with a target for oil savings. NHTSA has failed to effectively implement fuel economy regulations and enforce auto safety standards for the last 25 years. Indeed, average fuel economy of 2002 model year vehicles is the lowest since 1980. The Administration's close ties to the auto-industry, including Chief of Staff Andrew Card's previous position as chief lobbyist for General Motors, are further indications that NHTSA will do little to increase CAFE standards. The Bush Administration's recent announcement of a small 1.5 mpg increase in light truck fuel economy standards shows that it is not serious about cutting our oil use.

"The Senate ignored a chance to make real progress in reducing our oil dependence, saving consumers money, and cutting global warming pollution," said Gary Skulnik, Washington Representative on Sierra Club's Global Warming and Energy Program. "The American people demand better from our Senators than this irresponsible vote to elevate the auto industry's short-term interests over Americans' safety and energy security." http://www.commondreams.org/news2003/0730-05.htm

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 01:30 AM
The link is dead on and accepted, at least by me, as all that is needed.

My pleasure.

http://www.commondreams.org/news2003/0730-05.htm

Any disagreements? Not with the article, the author or the source, but with the facts?

stephanie
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
You all want to answer my question....I asked earlier in this thread??

IF this was foreseen to be a catastrophic disaster for THE WORLD and our NATION..........

Why didn't Clinton-Gore do ANYTHING......in the time they were in the white house????

President Bush has only been in the white house six yrs..
Let's see........Clinton-Gore was there for???:poke:

I didn't think so.......:coffee:

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 01:51 AM
They did a lot. You are stupid and ignorant if you believe otherwise. I'm not going to do your research for your sillyass theory for you.

You all want to answer my question....I asked earlier in this thread??

IF this was foreseen to be a catastrophic disaster for THE WORLD and our NATION..........

Why didn't Clinton-Gore do ANYTHING......in the time they were in the white house????

I didn't think so.......:coffee:

Get back to the Lounge and get another Cape Cod, Staphy!!!!!!

stephanie
05-08-2007, 02:02 AM
They did a lot. You are stupid and ignorant if you believe otherwise. I'm not going to do your research for your sillyass theory for you.

Get back to the Lounge and get another Cape Cod, Staphy!!!!!!

You know......they did nothing......

That one threw you all for a loop eh???
I love it...:laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I repeat. They did enormous, for the times, good for the environment. Your argument and inclination is ignorant on it's premise and silly on it's projection.

You know......they did nothing......

That one threw you all for a loop eh???
I love it...:laugh2:

Care to have a drink and take a break? C U in the Lounge!!!!!!!

stephanie
05-08-2007, 02:26 AM
I repeat. They did enormous, for the times, good for the environment. Your argument and inclination is ignorant on it's premise and silly on it's projection.

Care to have a drink and take a break? C U in the Lounge!!!!!!!

:laugh2: They did a lot....That settles it......:laugh2:

Hell.......They still can't get Teddy Kennedy to approve windmill power off NanTucket because.......it will hurt the birds...it will be an eyesore.....it is not a proven source.....
And here's the best.......It will impede his view.......

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Soooo, that's it? You can't defend your argument and you now accept mine as absolute? You are such a ninny, Staphy!!!!!!!

:laugh2: They did a lot....That settles it......:laugh2:

Speaking of "Absolute", I think we have it on the bar. Come, enjoy, and share with us your thoughts for the day!!!!!!!!!