PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard warnings posted

namvet
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
heads up people. this looks like a monster in the making. on tues im expecting blizzard conditions here. high wind heavy snow. 8-12 or 12-18. this will go from the rockies all the way to the east coast

100 Million Potentially Impacted by Next Storm

What: Major winter storm complete with heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain to impact Rockies, Plains, Midwest

When: Monday Night (January 31) through midday Wednesday (February 2)

Cities Potentially Impacted: Denver | Amarillo | Dallas | Oklahoma City | Wichita | Kansas City | St. Louis | Tulsa | Chicago | Indianapolis | Cincinnati | Dayton | Lexington

Scenario: Low pressure will develop in north-central Texas and tap into a huge resource of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. As the storm pushes into the Midwest, moisture will be captured and transported northward into the Front Range of the Rockies, Plains and Midwest where it will meet up with a fresh arctic air mass.

Impacts: A stripe of snow will set up from western Texas and eastern Colorado eastward across the central Plains and into the Ohio Valley. Some areas could experience a snowfall of more than 6 inches.

The snow will be accompanied with powerful winds which could produce occasional blizzard conditions for the Front Range and parts of the Plains.

South of the snow stripe, locations in the path can expect a dangerous mix of sleet and freezing rain.

Finally, there is the potential for severe storms containing damaging winds and tornadoes to sweep across Dixie from eastern Texas through Alabama.

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop17_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

source (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/expansive-winter-storm-plains-midwest-northeast_2011-01-28)

gabosaurus
01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
This is why we live in Southern California. No one owns a show shovel.

darin
01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
SE Michigan forecast - 8-12" of snow. Wish it were twice as deep. :)

Gaffer
01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
We are in the quarter inch of ice portion. That sucks, I'd rather have snow than ice.

namvet
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
We are in the quarter inch of ice portion. That sucks, I'd rather have snow than ice.

for sure. we're going to have some freezing rain here around or just after dawn. thery're saying it could be an intese rush hour. im sure the insurance co's are on alert as well as the towers and boby shops. in the midst of confusion...........

namvet
01-30-2011, 09:20 PM
thats right. it never snows in S CA

who needs a shovel ?? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/motorists-stranded-as-rain-snow-jam-southern-california-freeways.html)

Kathianne
01-30-2011, 09:46 PM
heads up people. this looks like a monster in the making. on tues im expecting blizzard conditions here. high wind heavy snow. 8-12 or 12-18. this will go from the rockies all the way to the east coast

100 Million Potentially Impacted by Next Storm

http://i.imwx.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop17_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

source (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/expansive-winter-storm-plains-midwest-northeast_2011-01-28)

Thanks. I went and looked after reading this.The watch here starts Tues noon, though local weather is saying may start Monday late afternoon. 12-18 likely, 25 possible especially in snow belt. (Yes, even in snow belt, we have our own. ;) )

darin
01-31-2011, 06:13 AM
gawd - the WEATHER is the only reason I'd move to the chicago area. You're very lucky, Kath.

I'd take ice or snow - either is fine.

Ice and Snow and Blizzaks. They are what makes a Subaru, unstoppable. :D

namvet
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
up to two feet of snow

http://johns-jokes.com/afiles/images/tonight-there-will-be-two-feet-of-snow.jpg

Kathianne
01-31-2011, 09:22 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/rkn12x.jpg

According to local meteorologists they are looking at 20+

It would be awesome to be a kid, I was in '67 and still remember my mom freaking when she couldn't see my brother in the yard. Good times!

Kathianne
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Local, suburban paper:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110130/news/701309913/print/

Article updated: 1/31/2011 07:48 AM | published: 1/30/2011 01:00 AM
Storm could be bigger than the blizzard of '67
By Paul Biasco

Chicago meteorologists plan to bring cots and a change of clothes to work this week as a massive blizzard is expected to dump up to 20 inches of snow starting Tuesday.

A blizzard watch will be in effect starting Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon for all of northeastern Illinois, according to the National Weather Service.

Current forecasts predict about 20 inches of snow for portions of southern Cook, DuPage, Kane and Will Counties and 18 inches for most of northeastern Illinois.

“I wouldn't want to be trying to get anywhere,” said Bill Nelson, Observation Program Leader for the National Weather Service. “We are planning on bringing in a couple of cots in case we get stuck.” Light snow is expected to begin falling Monday night, but the heavy snowfall will begin falling midday Tuesday and through Wednesday afternoon.

Meteorologists predict the blizzard will produce whiteout conditions as 40 to 45 mph winds combine with snow falling at a pace of 2 to 4 inches per hour during portions of the storm, Nelson said.

The biggest storm to ever hit Chicago totaled 23 inches in 1967, but meteorologists predict the upcoming blizzard might break records.

“If everything pans out like we think right now, it will be right there at the top,” Nelson said....

The bolded county is mine. ;)

Kathianne
01-31-2011, 10:01 AM
If this does pan out, which would be very unusual, I will say that weather forecasting has come a long way since '67 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-chicagodays-1967blizzard-story,0,1032940.story) or even '87 (http://www.elmhurst.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=501), both were totally unexpected, the first a huge snowfall, the later severe flood producing rains.

jimnyc
01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
We've had I believe 3 storms already this year that were 8" and above, the last one being about 18" here. I've officially retired from shoveling. You get tired of seeing this crap after awhile. I mean, it's beautiful when its coming down and when you wake early in the morning, but now we have these 50' snowbanks from all the trucks shoveling and they are all brown and black now! (and the rest is all yellow in my yard from the dogs!).

namvet
01-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Al's doing the best he can

http://newspatriot.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/45593_NewsSP.jpg

talked to a pal of mine on the phone last night. he live's in centeral Ill and he said: We are hearing anywhere from 16 to 25 inches here...
Starting Monday afternoon then the big blast Tuesday afternoon
thru Wednesday.. Also predicting 3inches an hour at times
for the Tuesday and Wednesday event. If it happens it will
be the largest snowstorm in 15 years..30mph winds, and down
to -5 below zero, visibility will be- 0"

meanwhile here the hoarding started yesterday.

Kathianne
01-31-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm doing my best to make this storm go away. Just got back from buying batteries, some groceries, milk, and stopped at the library for lots of DVD's. I bought salt for the walk, this should ensure we are held to flurries, those weather guys are going to be wrong. ;)

Actually I literally just checked and it seems they are thinking now it's going to be less snow than earlier. Woot! Still going to be dealing with the winds and horrendous wind chills, but still this is good!

http://weather.yahoo.com/storm/USIL1259.html

namvet
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm doing my best to make this storm go away. Just got back from buying batteries, some groceries, milk, and stopped at the library for lots of DVD's. I bought salt for the walk, this should ensure we are held to flurries, those weather guys are going to be wrong. ;)

Actually I literally just checked and it seems they are thinking now it's going to be less snow than earlier. Woot! Still going to be dealing with the winds and horrendous wind chills, but still this is good!

http://weather.yahoo.com/storm/USIL1259.html

I ran all of our errards this morning. we're under a blizzard warn till 6 am wed. walked down the drive to get the mail and fell flat on my ass !!! drive way has thick ice.

NightTrain
01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Wish you hosers would stop hogging all the snow. We need it up here!

namvet
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Wish you hosers would stop hogging all the snow. We need it up here!

sure you really want it??? ok its all yours

enVkYaJZ0Dg

darin
01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Of course, Mother Nature has issued me a hearty F-YOU!!! Forecast Totals are dropping faster than our freedoms. :(

Trigg
01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
It finally started snowing here the kids are all excited about having a few days off from school.

I work at a hospital, as does hubby, and we are praying that people stay safe and decide that a day off is better than trying to drive in a blizzard.

namvet
01-31-2011, 08:56 PM
It finally started snowing here the kids are all excited about having a few days off from school.

I work at a hospital, as does hubby, and we are praying that people stay safe and decide that a day off is better than trying to drive in a blizzard.

hope your right. but most ER's will be ready for the bodies to come in. snow does not stop the Richard Petty's of the freeway's

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 05:33 AM
I ran all of our errards this morning. we're under a blizzard warn till 6 am wed. walked down the drive to get the mail and fell flat on my ass !!! drive way has thick ice.

They've upped the number again, to 20+ in some areas. Wah!

darin
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Thankfully, mine have been upped, too.

Tonite: 7 to 11 inches possible. thatswhatshesaid.
Tomorrow: 3 to 5 inches possible. thatswhatshesaid.

jimnyc
02-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Damn storms! I thought everyone else would get a taste of what its been like around here and we would get a break. We just finished one of the worst snow months in NY's history.

Even though we won't get the snow totals, we are getting some snow (about 3-4 inches) and a ton of sleet and rain. Schools called and kids are getting out early again!

namvet
02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
They've upped the number again, to 20+ in some areas. Wah!

this is susposed to hit up to 30 states. that makes it a monster. its snowing here now temp 16 degrees. wind gusts up to 40-50 here when it arrives late this afternoon. but I got a good supply of movies :laugh2:

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Here's our local forecast as of right now:

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/forecast/

Tuesday
Snow
HI
24°
LO
21°
BLIZZARD WARNING FROM 3 PM TUESDAY TO 4 PM WEDNESDAY. Light snow flurries from a wintry overcast much of the day. NE winds strengthen 14 to 28 mph. Gusts topping 30 mph before evening. Steady storm snowfall spreads in from the south mid and late afternoon. Full-blown blizzard this evening and tonight. Serious blowing/drifting as gusts build to 40-50 mph. Bursts of thunder-snow and periods with less than a quarter mile visibility. Blizzard or near blizzard conditions persist into Wednesday morning. Totals: 14-22 inches by Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday
Snow
HI
23°
LO
-2°
Blizzard conditions start the day with heavy accumulating snow and north winds gusting to 50 mph combining to give whiteout conditions in open areas. As snow lets up in Chicago, it intensifies over Indiana later in the day.
Thursday
Partly cloudy
HI
12°
LO

Subzero early morning temperatures along with wind chills minus 10 to minus 20 degrees. The sun comes out, but temperatures struggle to reach double digits. Westerly winds 12 to 22 mph.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Around 5:30 am I went to shovel and throw salt down so that the bottom snow is moveable later. There was more snow overnight than I thought from looking out my upstairs window, perhaps 3-4". It's still snowing, sometimes heavier and sometimes taking a break. The wind is pretty strong and from the East, not a good sign as it's coming from off the lake.

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
winds picking up here. i just hope these over head powelines stay up

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I thought I was good yesterday, but it looks like I will have to run out for some Bisquick. I've got chicken cooking for Chicken n' Dumplings. I don't like when I make my own without Bisquick. Weird, I know. My friend and her husband, if he doesn't get stuck downtown are coming for dinner. She's coming no matter what. They live next door. :laugh2:

jimnyc
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Damn, I didn't pay attention much and realize how much snow you guys are supposed to get. I just read upwards of 2 feet in some Chicago areas! Looks like we are only gonna get a few inches but then a lot of freezing rain and ice buildup.

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I thought I was good yesterday, but it looks like I will have to run out for some Bisquick. I've got chicken cooking for Chicken n' Dumplings. I don't like when I make my own without Bisquick. Weird, I know. My friend and her husband, if he doesn't get stuck downtown are coming for dinner. She's coming no matter what. They live next door. :laugh2:

knock knock

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Damn, I didn't pay attention much and realize how much snow you guys are supposed to get. I just read upwards of 2 feet in some Chicago areas! Looks like we are only gonna get a few inches but then a lot of freezing rain and ice buildup.

Arrrggg!!! Thundersnow!

Blizzard Warning for Dupage, IL

from 3 pm CST, Tue., Feb. 1, 2011 until 3 pm CST, Wed., Feb. 2, 2011

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localstatealerts/?areaid=ILZ013&phenomena=BZ&office=KLOT&etn=0001&significance=W&wxlayer=radar&zoom=7&camefrom=national

Issued by The National Weather Service
Chicago, IL
3:18 am CST, Tue., Feb. 1, 2011

... BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 3 PM CST WEDNESDAY...

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 3 PM CST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING... ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL DEVELOP AROUND THE INTERSTATE 80 CORRIDOR DURING THE EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON... SPREADING NORTH TO THE WISCONSIN STATE LINE BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT SNOW MAY COME IN A COUPLE OF WAVES... WITH THE FIRST WAVE LATE THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY THIS EVENING... FOLLOWED BY A SECOND WAVE OF INTENSE SNOW LATER THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT. ACCUMULATING LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVER NORTHEAST ILLINOIS WEDNESDAY MORNING... SPREADING INTO NORTHWEST INDIANA WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES WITH ACCUMULATION RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR LIKELY. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 10 TO 18 INCHES IS LIKELY TOWARD ROCKFORD AND DIXON. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL TOTALS ARE LIKELY DOWNWIND OF LAKE MICHIGAN IN THE CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA INTO NORTHWEST INDIANA WHERE 12 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW IS LIKELY... WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF AROUND 2 FEET POSSIBLE.

* WINDS... NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 35 MPH BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. WIND GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE BY EVENING WITH GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH LIKELY TONIGHT. EVEN STRONGER WINDS ARE LIKELY NEAR THE IMMEDIATE LAKESHORE WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS BETWEEN 50 AND 60 MPH.

* BLIZZARD CONDITIONS... THE STRONG WINDS ALONG WITH BLOWING AND OCCASIONALLY HEAVY FALLING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES... PARTICULARLY TONIGHT.

* THUNDERSTORMS... ISOLATED SNOW PRODUCING THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TONIGHT... RESULTING IN LOCALLY VERY INTENSE SNOWFALL RATES. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO SEE SNOWFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF 4 INCHES PER HOUR IN THUNDERSNOW MAKING TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.

* TRAVEL... ROAD CONDITIONS WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON AS SNOW DEVELOPS FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE AREA. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME TREACHEROUS BY LATE AFTERNOON... AND DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS BY EARLY EVENING AS WINDS INCREASE RESULTING IN WHITE OUT CONDITIONS. SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE SO INTENSE AT TIMES THAT ROAD CREWS WILL BE UNABLE TO KEEP EVEN PRIMARY ROADS AND HIGHWAYS CLEARED. UNNECESSARY TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AS MORE THAN HALF OF THE FATALITIES IN PREVIOUS ILLINOIS BLIZZARDS HAVE OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS. BEFORE MAKING THE DECISION TO TRAVEL... CONSIDER IF GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

* POWER OUTAGES... THE COMBINATION OF STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS ALONG WITH POSSIBLY HEAVY WET SNOW STICKING TO POWERLINES COULD RESULT IN POWER OUTAGES. DUE TO THE PROLONGED NATURE OF VERY ADVERSE CONDITIONS... PLAN ACCORDINGLY FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF A PROLONGED DISRUPTION IN COMMERCIAL POWER.

* OTHER IMPACTS... THE HEAVY NATURE OF THE SNOW WILL MAKE SHOVELING EXTREMELY DIFFICULT... AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY. DURING AND IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE BLIZZARD OF 1999 OVER 40 PEOPLE IN THE CHICAGO AREA ALONE LOST THEIR LIVES TO HEART ATTACKS WHILE SHOVELING THE HEAVY SNOWFALL. IF YOU MUST SHOVEL THE SNOW... TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS INDOORS AND DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE TASK AT HAND.

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM

way back when, i used to fly to Chicago for Co training. a lot. and Detroit as well. had to sit here on the ground at KCI for hours waiting for the runways to clear up there. and I remember some white knuckled landings and takeoffs

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Arrrggg!!! Thundersnow!

Blizzard Warning for Dupage, IL

from 3 pm CST, Tue., Feb. 1, 2011 until 3 pm CST, Wed., Feb. 2, 2011

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localstatealerts/?areaid=ILZ013&phenomena=BZ&office=KLOT&etn=0001&significance=W&wxlayer=radar&zoom=7&camefrom=national

Dixie is susposed to get Tstorms and twisters today !!!

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Dixie is susposed to get Tstorms and twisters today !!!

I heard that some airports in TX are closed because of snow. Of course they don't have the equipment that the North does at airports I'm pretty certain.

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
I heard that some airports in TX are closed because of snow. Of course they don't have the equipment that the North does at airports I'm pretty certain.

http://oi54.tinypic.com/r2wdc8.jpg

I remember when they used these for snow removal

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
knock knock

I'm good now. Got the Bisquick, so a real 'down home' meal. Even picked up cherry pie fixings if I'm not too lazy. Chicken is cooling, I'll go rip it up later. Broth strained, now sitting in the garage, covered. After it cools, skim and I'm set to go.

Got all the emergency supplies if I need them. Ready to hunker down.

Gaffer
02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
http://oi54.tinypic.com/r2wdc8.jpg

I remember when they used these for snow removal

When I was a kid I thought these were snow plows. They were all I ever saw plowing the streets.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
When I was a kid I thought these were snow plows. They were all I ever saw plowing the streets.

Where did you people live? :confused0058:

http://i56.tinypic.com/3478h7n.png

namvet
02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm good now. Got the Bisquick, so a real 'down home' meal. Even picked up cherry pie fixings if I'm not too lazy. Chicken is cooling, I'll go rip it up later. Broth strained, now sitting in the garage, covered. After it cools, skim and I'm set to go.

Got all the emergency supplies if I need them. Ready to hunker down.

with all that chow there i see im in the wrong place ....slurp :laugh:

namvet
02-01-2011, 12:44 PM

they were. city and hiway. kinda slow but effective

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
with all that chow there i see im in the wrong place ....slurp :laugh:

Well if you're up to a drive, come on over. I'll have plenty! :laugh2:

Gaffer
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Where did you people live? :confused0058:

http://i56.tinypic.com/3478h7n.png

About 60 miles west of you. Right by the lake.

In 58-59 we got 40 inches in an eight hour period.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM

I never saw machines like that posted, though perhaps I would have on interstate? We tended to stay close to home in big storms.

My girlfriend and I were talking about the '67 storm. She was living in the city, myself in suburbs. In both cases the streets were plowed by the afternoon of the day after, though cars couldn't get out of drives or garage. It was kid heaven.

That is the only storm I can think of where cars weren't moving, even in the burbs.

What I do remember and seldom see now, stuck cars. Perhaps it's the tires?

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 01:31 PM

You can't be west of me, the lake is. ;) West of me is IO or MO.

Gaffer
02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
You can't be west of me, the lake is. ;) West of me is IO or MO.

Oops I meant east. My bad. Think of a city in Indiana, right on the lake and named after the lake.

When we had that big snow it shut down everything for a week. And it was definitely kid heaven. No school, huge snowball fights, 20 foot mounds of snow that we tunneled into. We had to walk a mile to the grocery store and put the food on my sled to get it home.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Oops I meant east. My bad. Think of a city in Indiana, right on the lake and named after the lake.

When we had that big snow it shut down everything for a week. And it was definitely kid heaven. No school, huge snowball fights, 20 foot mounds of snow that we tunneled into. We had to walk a mile to the grocery store and put the food on my sled to get it home.

It started on Thursday morning, by 1 pm the school sent us home. We had to walk a mile and a half. It was pretty warm and the flakes were huge! The next day, no school and the cars were gone! Seriously, you couldn't see cars. My dad had shoveled after 2 am, by 7 am, still the car was buried! That car he'd pulled up to as close to the garage as possible, still there was a wall of snow covering the garage door. No opener and no way to open it with the other car that close.

Around noon on Friday, my dad pulled my brother and I on a sled, to the grocer about 4 blocks from our house. He pulled the sled on the streets, as there were no cars but the streets were plowed. It was like this sled, with walls of white on each side. Unbelievable! In front of every driveway was a 5' wall of ice and snow from the plows!

I dropped the gallon of milk I was to hold, my mittens were full of snow and milk came in glass bottles then. My dad knocked on the back of the grocer's door, telling him what happened. We got another gallon, but my dad carried it. ;)

The rest of the day was great! Building snowmen, forts, igloos.

By Saturday though, we were dug out and the streets were owned by cars again. Friday night they'd salted the roads.

namvet
02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
that's getting close to 3" of snow on my patio table at 1 pm CST

http://oi56.tinypic.com/10gxq3a.jpg

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2vvj32g.jpg

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Nice grill. Steaks for me tomorrow?

namvet
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Nice grill. Steaks for me tomorrow?

don't know what we're having tomorrow. but I cook on it year round. no way a few snow flakes are gonna stop me

the 67 Chicago blizzard

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/unknown-chicago/1-27--Columbus%20Drive.jpg

I was in Nam then

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
don't know what we're having tomorrow. but I cook on it year round. no way a few snow flakes are gonna stop me

the 67 Chicago blizzard

I was in Nam then

I was in grade school and still remember those buses. I do believe that is my favorite museum, the Field Museum of Natural History in the background.

namvet
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I was in grade school and still remember those buses. I do believe that is my favorite museum, the Field Museum of Natural History in the background.

bINwf7eMLns

well im gonna go spin another DVD and trash out

Gaffer
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

the 67 Chicago blizzard

I was in Nam then

I was in Nam then too.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Well I went out about 45 minutes ago, to try and chip ice off driveway. While I was doing so, seems the first wave of storm set in. I'm sitting here now upstairs and looking North. The snow is flying, fast, from east to west. Lots of it! Not the pretty flakes from '67, but mean little flakes, a gajillion of them.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
bINwf7eMLns

well im gonna go spin another DVD and trash out

That video was perfect! The shot with the dad and toddler was what I was referring to with white walls. So cool! Well cold. LOL!

namvet
02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Well I went out about 45 minutes ago, to try and chip ice off driveway. While I was doing so, seems the first wave of storm set in. I'm sitting here now upstairs and looking North. The snow is flying, fast, from east to west. Lots of it! Not the pretty flakes from '67, but mean little flakes, a gajillion of them.

I think your right. I looked at the radar and about half of Ill is in the pink.

namvet
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I was in Nam then too.

amazing. we were sweatin' our ass's off and they were freezing back here.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
amazing. we were sweatin' our ass's off and they were freezing back here.

Thank you both for your service! :salute:

Well guys, no one could tell that my drive and walk were cleared an hour ago. Both are just looking like the ocean beaches after tide. Wind is ferocious. Snow is crazy, but not as much as the wind. I'm looking at the house behind mine, the roof looks almost clear, but sort of hard to see beyond the blowing snow. Usually I measure the snowfall by the roof eve outside my window, not possible with how the wind is ripping the snow right off.

My back patio door has snow over a step and about 3" up the door. I'd only open that in a fire situation, snow would blow right onto the carpeting.

Usually with snow, we see it sticking to trees, that isn't happening. There are going to be fearsome drifts from this one.

namvet
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
its intensifying

http://oi52.tinypic.com/wtgb6d.jpg

visibility is dropping and the flakes are bigger with winds picking up

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qi1e13.jpg

I just heard on the weather channel this has an ice storm imbedded in it. up to an inch

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
its intensifying

http://oi52.tinypic.com/wtgb6d.jpg

visibility is dropping and the flakes are bigger with winds picking up

http://oi54.tinypic.com/2qi1e13.jpg

I just heard on the weather channel this has an ice storm imbedded in it. up to an inch

Great pic for comparison. Wouldn't work here. Like I said, my walkway is now close to a foot, driveway much less. Roof, nearly clean. Wind is crazy.

On the upside, just pulled cherry pie out of oven. The broth has been strained 3 times. Chicken is in fridge. Shockingly the hubby of my friend is coming home. He brought clothes to work for this evening, but when she told him he was invited for dinner and what we're having, he got on the 2:40 train. He's still not home, but will be by 6:30, which is when dinner is on. :laugh2:

My friend is one of my best and about the 5th in duration. She doesn't cook though. When I invited her for dinner this morning she was like, "You don't have to do that." I said, "I was going to anyways, might as well share." So, she's taking me for dinner after the storm. She's good at restaurant. :laugh2:

namvet
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Great pic for comparison. Wouldn't work here. Like I said, my walkway is now close to a foot, driveway much less. Roof, nearly clean. Wind is crazy.

On the upside, just pulled cherry pie out of oven. The broth has been strained 3 times. Chicken is in fridge. Shockingly the hubby of my friend is coming home. He brought clothes to work for this evening, but when she told him he was invited for dinner and what we're having, he got on the 2:40 train. He's still not home, but will be by 6:30, which is when dinner is on. :laugh2:

My friend is one of my best and about the 5th in duration. She doesn't cook though. When I invited her for dinner this morning she was like, "You don't have to do that." I said, "I was going to anyways, might as well share." So, she's taking me for dinner after the storm. She's good at restaurant. :laugh2:

I was asked a long time ago, when i was single, what i fix for dinner. answer: carry out :laugh2:

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I was asked a long time ago, when i was single, what i fix for dinner. answer: carry out :laugh2:

Well right now my income means not eating out, at all. I got the chicken for .79 a pound. I figure with pie and all, perhaps $1.50 each. I'll still have lots of chicken salad and probably some chicken and dumplings left over. I'm amazing at stretching the dollar.

namvet
02-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Well right now my income means not eating out, at all. I got the chicken for .79 a pound. I figure with pie and all, perhaps $1.50 each. I'll still have lots of chicken salad and probably some chicken and dumplings left over. I'm amazing at stretching the dollar.

Kath you should put up a post on this. how to streeeech that buck. get some member ideas. ill boil the water

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Kath you should put up a post on this. how to streeeech that buck. get some member ideas. ill boil the water

Maybe I will. I could start a new forum, I think. :smoke: "Depression era and modern cooking." LOL!

Seriously, I may bring the idea up. I've a ton of ways to stretch the food dollar, I bet others do to!

namvet
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Maybe I will. I could start a new forum, I think. :smoke: "Depression era and modern cooking." LOL!

Seriously, I may bring the idea up. I've a ton of ways to stretch the food dollar, I bet others do to!

great idea. wish i had thought of it :laugh: im bettin' some of the members will have great idea's.

GO FOR IT !!!!

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
So how bad is it here? My friends came over around 6. When they went to leave about 20 minutes ago, had to fight the front door open. Friend's hubby then shoveled my walk again, now can't see it. I'm not a photo person, but found these from WGN. Click on link to see pics:

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/

A true blizzard; wind gusts deposit part of Wrigley Field onto Clark Street
February 1, 2011 6:56 PM | No Comments

Heavy snow and extreme winds are not a good mix. These two conditions are resulting in multiple problems this evening across the Chicago area.

Part of Wrigley Field lands on Clark Street

A section Wrigley Field's roof was blown off shortly after 6PM. Our WeatherBug camera captured the debris lying in the street earlier this evening. Police are attempting to clean up the debris.

Lake Shore Drive turning into a parking lot?

Numerous reports have come in to the WGN Weather Center describing Northbound Lake Shore Drive as "gridlock". One motorist claims he has been on the drive for over 3 and 1/2 hours.

Winds pushing 60mph

Here are a few of the top wind gusts

58mph Chicago-Rogers Park

56mph Chicago- Bridgeport

54mph Lombard

54mph Chicago- West Loop

53mph Chicago - Midway

52mph Lincolnwood

51mph Naperville

Extreme winds resulting in power outages

Power outages have been reported in Carol Stream, Elmhurst, Tinley Park and Schaumburg

Snow drift reports from the Chicago area

3.5' Tinley Park

2.0' Plainfield

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UfRLZBFRUwI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

namvet
02-01-2011, 09:44 PM
So how bad is it here? My friends came over around 6. When they went to leave about 20 minutes ago, had to fight the front door open. Friend's hubby then shoveled my walk again, now can't see it. I'm not a photo person, but found these from WGN. Click on link to see pics:

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UfRLZBFRUwI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

it finally stopped here !!! you should see my patio table. looks like a mountain

the city declared an emergency and called up the guard. they shut down I-70 between KC and ST Louis.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
it finally stopped here !!! you should see my patio table. looks like a mountain

the city declared an emergency and called up the guard. they shut down I-70 between KC and ST Louis.

I hope it stays that way for you. Just found these latest from the same above link:

Blizzard continues to rage, drifts may reach 6 to 7 feet later tonight
February 1, 2011 8:23 PM | No Comments

Weather conditions across the Chicago area have gone from bad to worse over the past couple of hours as winds gusting to 60mph whip heavy snow into drifts.

Lake Shore Drive was shut down by the City of Chicago shortly after 8PM tonight due to drifting snow and stranded vehicles. Other roads across northern Illinois are reported to be in very bad shape including Interstate 90 and US Highway 20 near Rockford where motorists are reported to be stranded.

Snowfall totals range from 3 to 8 inches, an amount of snow that would not be all that unusual. What makes this storm so rare is the wind. Wind gusts have topped 60mph creating white-out conditions in open areas.

Recent wind gusts over the past couple of hours:

61mph Lombard, IL (8:18PM)

60mph Frankfort, IL (8:25PM)

59mph Naperville, IL (8:14PM)

53mph Chicago- Woodlawn (8:20)

namvet
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I hope it stays that way for you. Just found these latest from the same above link:

drifts may reach 6 to 7 feet ???? god, people may be stuck in their homes for days !!!

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
drifts may reach 6 to 7 feet ???? god, people may be stuck in their homes for days !!!

My front door is once again blocked. I'm pretty sure I can get out the garage door, the front of which is 'unprotected' meaning the snow blows back and forth in front of. Both sliding doors I can get out of if need be, but snow will get in the house.

If you watch that video, it's exactly what it looks like there, the snow is just flying. I really don't know how they could measure it, as it's not falling down, but sideways.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
namvet, I'm pretty sure you will like the pics found here in the included slideshow:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/unknown-chicago/2010/01/the-blizzard.html

The Blizzard of '67 (1-27-1967)

Guest Post from The Oldest Chicagoan

You youngsters think you've seen snow in Chicago. Let me tell you about a real snowstorm. I'm talking about the Blizzard of '67.

If you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait awhile--it will change. January 24 was a Tuesday and the temperature got up to 65. On Wednesday, it was more like normal. On Thursday, at about 5 AM, it started snowing. Morning travel was a little slow, but you expect that in January.

And it kept snowing all day. By 2:00 it was getting so bad, some businesses started letting people out early. At 4:00, when the evening rush hour started, things got really impossible...

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
As if it hasn't been crazy enough, lightening and thundersnow has begun! Sheeesh!

namvet
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
As if it hasn't been crazy enough, lightening and thundersnow has begun! Sheeesh!

we heard about that. im just hoping a plow comes thru tonite. we're stuck till then

CSM
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, here it is Weds morning and still snowing. Predictions are for up to 20" when all is said and done. I have so much snow that the only place to shovel it is straight up and that doesn't work very well!

namvet
02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
clear and sunny here this morning. a plow did go by sometime during the night. and my man showed up early to shovel the driveway. we got about 10-12 here.

Trigg
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
It got pretty nasty here last night, the one thing I was worried about was loosing electricity and having no water.

Hubby got up and plowed the driveway so I could leave for work about 7am and just as he got done my boss called and told me not to come in.

We're under a level 1 snow emergency and the hospital was cancelling patients who didn't really NEED their tests done.

My sister, who lives in town, is actually worse off than us since she lives in an addition and the plows haven't made it into the neighborhoods yet.

The plows are up and down our road, so we're not stuck. Massive drifting though and it's still snowing.

namvet
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
It got pretty nasty here last night, the one thing I was worried about was loosing electricity and having no water.

Hubby got up and plowed the driveway so I could leave for work about 7am and just as he got done my boss called and told me not to come in.

We're under a level 1 snow emergency and the hospital was cancelling patients who didn't really NEED their tests done.

My sister, who lives in town, is actually worse off than us since she lives in an addition and the plows haven't made it into the neighborhoods yet.

The plows are up and down our road, so we're not stuck. Massive drifting though and it's still snowing.

looks like this one goes into the record books. I was also worried about the power going out. I was surprised this morning to see the plow had went thru. many city's/towns are cutting back on these service's.

namvet
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Weather/604/341/020211_snowpray.jpg

Fox (http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2011/02/02/colossal-winter-storm-roars/#)

Gaffer
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
we had high winds over night and into today. A few flurries and no rain or ice like they had called for. The roads here are clear. The massive perfect storm seems to have passed us by.

Kathianne
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I haven't seen totals yet, but it was a heck of a lot of snow. Biggest problem was the wind, over 50mph sustained, with plenty of 60+mph gusts. Around 9 the sun came out, I think it's over. The winds are down to 20mph, with occasional gusts.

I got my front door open enough to grab the shovel that was next to it. Brought it into house and went to garage, opened and there was a 4' wall of snow. My driveway is like 35' long. So, I started taking it down by layers, though where to put it? My driveway is separated from my neighbors by a narrow hedge, so only one way to throw snow. While I was doing my best, neighbor's son and his friend pull up to do her's. We were talking a bit and they were going fast, me a layer at a time. After clearing off about 2.5' in front of garage, peeking around the corner and seeing over 5' drift on walk to house, I said, "Break time."

Grabbed a cup :coffee: and my brother called, saying he'd come out later and with his snow blower. I looked out the window and the boys were doing my snow. Well they're over 25 so money didn't seem right, the son is an accountant, but I know they like to party. Grabbed two 6 packs of Dos Equis my brother had left and they were happy as clams. :laugh: Called my brother and told him, he said, "Bless their hearts, you could have given them my Johnnie Walker Black." :laugh2:

Looking at my back neighbor's deck which is on 2nd story they have at least 7' on it, can only see about 6" of the top of their sliding glass doors. They won't be opening them for awhile, tonight the temps are going down to -8 or colder.

Kathianne
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Good news here though is that the streets are plowed and grocery stores and drug stores open.

LOL, just looking at neighbor's deck, their kids came from the front and up the stairs, they are throwing the snow off the deck and onto the back yard, the little one rolling on the mountain while the older two shovel. Just saw mom yelling out side window, Probably, "Stop that, you could roll over railing!"

namvet
02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen totals yet, but it was a heck of a lot of snow. Biggest problem was the wind, over 50mph sustained, with plenty of 60+mph gusts. Around 9 the sun came out, I think it's over. The winds are down to 20mph, with occasional gusts.

I got my front door open enough to grab the shovel that was next to it. Brought it into house and went to garage, opened and there was a 4' wall of snow. My driveway is like 35' long. So, I started taking it down by layers, though where to put it? My driveway is separated from my neighbors by a narrow hedge, so only one way to throw snow. While I was doing my best, neighbor's son and his friend pull up to do her's. We were talking a bit and they were going fast, me a layer at a time. After clearing off about 2.5' in front of garage, peeking around the corner and seeing over 5' drift on walk to house, I said, "Break time."

Grabbed a cup :coffee: and my brother called, saying he'd come out later and with his snow blower. I looked out the window and the boys were doing my snow. Well they're over 25 so money didn't seem right, the son is an accountant, but I know they like to party. Grabbed two 6 packs of Dos Equis my brother had left and they were happy as clams. :laugh: Called my brother and told him, he said, "Bless their hearts, you could have given them my Johnnie Walker Black." :laugh2:

Looking at my back neighbor's deck which is on 2nd story they have at least 7' on it, can only see about 6" of the top of their sliding glass doors. They won't be opening them for awhile, tonight the temps are going down to -8 or colder.

my man showed up early to do mine. with only a shovel all by his self

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2a0c0sl.jpg

someone down the street must have taken a fall. we heard the siren and they took him off fast !!! hope he's ok

this had much more snow on it last night. but the winds, i think blew some off

http://oi52.tinypic.com/s5hj4g.jpg

we go down to 15 below tonight. got about 12"

Trigg
02-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Here are a few of our snow pics.

My youngest inside his fort.

The other fort had to be abandoned after the dog collapsed the roof.

Kathianne
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Dang:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localchi/20110202/ts_yblog_localchi/after-the-snow-bitter-wind-chills-in-forecast

After The Snow, Bitter Wind Chills In Forecast

By CBS Chicago cbs Chicago – Wed Feb 2, 11:55 am ET

CHICAGO (CBS)

Bitterly cold wind chills approaching minus 20 degrees are forecast to blow into the Chicago area starting Wednesday night, just as the massive blizzard leaves town.

A wind chill watch will be in effect for all Chicago area counties in northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana, starting Wednesday evening and lasting until Thursday morning, according to the National Weather service.

The sub-zero wind chills will occur later Wednesday and overnight when high winds meet "bitterly cold" temperatures ranging from minus 5 in downtown Chicago to minus 20 in outlying areas, according to the NWS.

A 15 to 20 mile per hour northwest wind could bring wind chill values as low as minus 21, according to the weather service.

Winds will subside Wednesday night, but will still be strong enough to create wind chills ranging from minus 20 to minus 40 throughout the Chicago metropolitan area, the NWS said.

Thunderknuckles
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
One great thing about California is we don't have extremes in weather. Some folks say we don't even have real "Seasons" out here. So, while many are getting massive amounts of rain and snow, all we got was a high wind advisory which folks in Chicago would consider nothing more than a light breeze :laugh:

namvet
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
found these photos. including a vid of a roof collapsing

Blizzard (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353169/Winter-storm-Bomb-scene-blizzard-ice-snow-killed-12-crushed-buildings.html)

SassyLady
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow, that building came down faster than what I've seen happen in an earthquake...that was fast!

Trigg
02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
After 3 days off the children FINALLY went back to school today.

Yesterday I sent my older 2 off to friends houses down the road. The younger 2 played outside with the dogs all day.

It worked out well. The kids were tired and cold and the dogs took afternoon naps.

red states rule
02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/cb020411dAPR20110204044526.jpg