PDA

View Full Version : Mubarak Stepping Down?

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/01/egypts-army-stands-aside-as-protesters-vow-to-top-1-million/

Joyous Protesters Fill Egypt's Cities; Mubarak May Speak
Feb 1, 2011 – 9:53 AM

Lauren Frayer

Lauren Frayer Contributor
Hundreds of thousands of anti-government protesters joyously packed Egypt's town squares today for a "million-man march," unimpeded by the nation's much-vaunted army, whose soldiers kept their vow that they would not fire on their countrymen.

In Cairo, the crowds sang nationalist songs, danced and chanted slogans like "Leave! Leave! Leave!," The Associated Press reported, as they peacefully filled Tahrir (or Liberation) Square and nearby streets, shouting their disapproval of President Hosni Mubarak's three decades of iron-fisted rule. Military helicopters buzzed overhead, more like a part of the celebration than a warning.

The mass demonstrations, which took place in at least five other cities as well, may have had some impact: Reuters reported that Mubarak will speak to the troubled nation tonight.

Meanwhile, thousands of foreigners have been fleeing Egypt for days, and by late afternoon the U.S. State Department announced it had ordered the departure of all nonessential diplomats.

The eighth day of protests against Mubarak has been the biggest, with hoards of demonstrators rallying into Tahrir Square. Al-Jazeera put the number at 1 million already, saying tens of thousands are backed up on a huge bridge over the Nile next to Tahrir.

texastom
02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
And Egypt's war with Israel starts in 3....2....1....

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 02:20 PM
And Egypt's war with Israel starts in 3....2....1....

It seems most likely he'll say he won't run again and elections in months. I don't think that will suffice.

fj1200
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Amazing stuff. I'm almost jealous of abso. If the changes to come are one of a move towards freedom then it would be an amazing experience.

texastom
02-01-2011, 02:24 PM
It seems most likely he'll say he won't run again and elections in months. I don't think that will suffice.I don't think it will either. It appears as if this transition is following in the footsteps of past transitions...

I'd bet that within a week he's either dead or has fled to a country that will provide him with political exile. Most likely Saudi Arabia.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think it will either. It appears as if this transition is following in the footsteps of past transitions...

I'd bet that within a week he's either dead or has fled to a country that will provide him with political exile. Most likely Saudi Arabia.

Al Jazeera is reporting that Obama is pushing him to announce he will not run in September. It will not suffice, which only underscores my other thread where I said Obama has lost hearts and minds on the ground.

texastom
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Amazing stuff. I'm almost jealous of abso. If the changes to come are one of a move towards freedom then it would be an amazing experience.I hate to sound harsh, but I don't think any transition will result in more freedom. Not once Islamic rule is imposed. The only reason Turkey became "free" after the fall of the Ottoman Empire is due to the fact they were tired of war. Egypt's population is young and they have no concept of how damaging a genocidal war is on the mentality of the population. We're seeing major changes take place that do not appear to have any possible positive outcome.:rolleyes:

texastom
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Al Jazeera is reporting that Obama is pushing him to announce he will not run in September. It will not suffice, which only underscores my other thread where I said Obama has lost hearts and minds on the ground.I agree. BHO has no credibility in the region. Have you had a chance to read the Greenfield article I linked to in that thread? As he points out, it's no coincidence that major revolutions in countries allied with the US occur when we have weak democratic presidents.

fj1200
02-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I said if, but it's up to them to see what they can pull out of it.

I think we should start tying our aid to definable positive steps that lead to freedom and democracy. I hope we're backchanneling with any receptive generals over there.

texastom
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I said if, but it's up to them to see what they can pull out of it.

I think we should start tying our aid to definable positive steps that lead to freedom and democracy. I hope we're backchanneling with any receptive generals over there.We are in a quandary in regards to aid... we're bound by the Camp David Accords to provide it... if we withhold aid for any reason, that will give the Egyptians (and other Arab leaders) reason to make the claim the "treaty" null and void, which will lead them to believing they're free to wage war on Israel. The aid was never about "Egypt" as much as it was about keeping Egypt from going to war with Israel.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree. BHO has no credibility in the region. Have you had a chance to read the Greenfield article I linked to in that thread? As he points out, it's no coincidence that major revolutions in countries allied with the US occur when we have weak democratic presidents.

My bad. I it was a blog I was unfamiliar with. I just skimmed it and I have to agree with his take. As you said though, there may be time periods that fit as more of a basis. I'm unsure at this point. All I know is that Obama did not respond to the issues that mattered on the street.

Thunderknuckles
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
It seems most likely he'll say he won't run again and elections in months. I don't think that will suffice.
It may not suffice but it sounds the like prudent way to go about it. It seems to me that if the people force him out immediately without an "annointed" successor to take his place, you could be looking at a wholesale power grab which will undoubtedly lead to internal armed conflict to some extent.

If he stays in place until the elections it makes him a lame duck but should also provide for some stability to allow for a peaceful transition as the opposition parties try to shore up support from the people and the military for the upcoming elections.

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
It may not suffice but it sounds the like prudent way to go about it. It seems to me that if the people force him out immediately without an "annointed" successor to take his place, you could be looking at a wholesale power grab which will undoubtedly lead to internal armed conflict to some extent.

If he stays in place until the elections it makes him a lame duck but should also provide for some stability to allow for a peaceful transition as the opposition parties try to shore up support from the people and the military for the upcoming elections.

Problem is, there is no choice. Did you see the numbers today? He better have.

Thunderknuckles
02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Problem is, there is no choice. Did you see the numbers today? He better have.
There IS a choice, I just hope the people realize it.
It may come down to what Mubarak has to say tonight. Hopefully there are some cool heads in the opposition that can get the folks to exercise some restraint until Mubarak steps down, if he indeed intends to. Otherwise, if the people force the creation of a power vacuum, they could be heading into a disaster of their own making.

The next few days will be interesting to watch.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful transition to a stable government that the US can also call an ally :beer:

..wishful thinking I know :p

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 05:10 PM
There IS a choice, I just hope the people realize it.
It may come down to what Mubarak has to say tonight. Hopefully there are some cool heads in the opposition that can get the folks to exercise some restraint until Mubarak steps down, if he indeed intends to. Otherwise, if the people force the creation of a power vacuum, they could be heading into a disaster of their own making.

The next few days will be interesting to watch.

Here's to hoping for a peaceful transition to a stable government that the US can also call an ally :beer:

..wishful thinking I know :p

I too hope, but as the saying goes, 'defecate in one hand and hope in the other...'

Kathianne
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
No surprise here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_egypt

Egypt crowds unmoved by Mubarak's vow not to run
By SARAH EL DEEB and HADEEL AL-SHALCHI, Associated Press Sarah El Deeb And Hadeel Al-shalchi, Associated Press 32 mins ago

CAIRO – President Hosni Mubarak defied a quarter-million protesters demanding he step down immediately, announcing Tuesday he would serve out the last months of his term and "die on Egyptian soil." He said he would not seek re-election, but that did not calm the public fury as clashes erupted between his opponents and supporters.

The 82-year-old Mubarak, who has ruled the country for nearly three decades, offered little protesters had sought after a dramatic day in which a quarter-million Egyptians staged their biggest demonstration yet. And he insisted he wouldn't have sought a fifth term in September even if the protests had never happened.

Mubarak's halfway concession — an end to his rule seven months down the road — threatened to inflame frustration and anger among protesters, who have been peaceful in recent days but have made clear they will not end their unprecedented week-old wave of demonstrations until he is out.

Soon after his speech, clashes erupted between protesters and government supporters in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, and gunshots were heard, according to footage by Al-Jazeera television.

The speech was immediately derided by protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square. Watching his speech on a giant TV, protesters booed and waved their shoes over their heads at his image in a sign of contempt. "Go, go, go! We are not leaving until he leaves," they chanted. One man screamed, "He doesn't want to say it, he doesn't want to say it."...

namvet
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
no doubt the terrorists are eye ballin this. will the brotherhood move in???

U.S. 'held secret meeting with Muslim Brotherhood'

JERUSALEM – The Egyptian government has information a diplomat at the U.S. embassy in Cairo secretly met yesterday with a senior leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, the nation's major Islamist opposition group, WND has learned.

The topic of the meeting was the future of Egypt following the "fall" of President Hosni Mubarak, an Egyptian intelligence official told WND.

The claim comes amid charges from Cairo that the Obama administration has been encouraging the protests rocking Egypt and targeting the rule of Mubarak, a key U.S. ally in the Middle East.

The Egyptian intelligence official told WND his government has information of a meeting that took place yesterday between Issam El-Erian, a senior leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, and Frank Wisner, a former U.S. ambassador to Egypt.

The Obama administration dispatched Wisner to Egypt this past weekend to report to the State Department and White House a general sense of the situation in the embattled country.

consider the.........source (http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=258405)