PDA

View Full Version : Moveon Flexing Muscles On Democrats

Kathianne
05-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Soros is not joking around, I don't think the Dems actually recognized their problem with the Faustian bargain:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/washington/06left.html?ei=5090&en=d1e9396c711242c6&ex=1336104000&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

May 6, 2007
Antiwar Groups Use New Clout to Influence Democrats on Iraq
By MICHAEL LUO

WASHINGTON, May 4 — Every morning, representatives from a cluster of antiwar groups gather for a conference call with Democratic leadership staff members in the House and the Senate.

Shortly after, in a cramped meeting room here, they convene for a call with organizers across the country. They hash out plans for rallies. They sketch out talking points for “rapid response” news conferences. They discuss polls they have conducted in several dozen crucial Congressional districts and states across the country.

Over the last four months, the Iraq deliberations in Congress have lurched from a purely symbolic resolution rebuking the president’s strategy to timetables for the withdrawal of American troops. Behind the scenes, an elaborate political operation, organized by a coalition of antiwar groups and fine-tuned to wrestle members of Congress into place one by one, has helped nudge the debate forward.

But there are tensions in the relationship between the groups, which banded together earlier this year under the umbrella of Americans Against Escalation in Iraq, and the Democratic leadership. The fissures could be magnified in coming weeks as the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi of California, and the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, struggle to cobble together a strategy after President Bush’s veto of the $124 billion Iraq spending bill that tied the money to a timetable for withdrawal.

On Thursday, leaders of the liberal group MoveOn.org, including Tom Matzzie, the group’s Washington director who also serves as the campaign manager for the coalition, sent a harshly worded warning to the Democratic leadership.

“In the past few days, we have seen what appear to be trial balloons signaling a significant weakening of the Democratic position,” the letter read. “On this, we want to be perfectly clear: if Democrats appear to capitulate to Bush — passing a bill without measures to end the war — the unity Democrats have enjoyed and Democratic leadership has so expertly built, will immediately disappear.”

The letter went on to say that if Democrats passed a bill “without a timeline and with all five months of funding,” they would essentially be endorsing a “war without end.” MoveOn, it said, “will move to a position of opposition.”

The antiwar coalition combines the online mobilization capabilities of MoveOn with the old-school political muscle of organized labor. They have been working in tandem with Democratic leadership in both the House and the Senate on a systematic strategy to unify Democrats, divide Republicans and isolate the president.

The alliance, including MoveOn, chose to stick with Ms. Pelosi as she ushered through a war financing bill that included a timeline for withdrawal, but many peace advocates called the measure too timid. Some critics accused the alliance of becoming too cozy with the Democratic leadership and selling out the cause.

Pale Rider
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Trouble in paradise... I love it.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Trouble in paradise... I love it.

I love it to, saw it last week.

There is absolutely no reason to keep either party if they place politics above governance.

And it is about time that the left established the kind of infrastructures that the right has been cultivating for 30 years to force the parties to respond to the concerns of what is 65% of the nation in this case.

Pale Rider
05-07-2007, 01:04 PM
I love it to, saw it last week.

There is absolutely no reason to keep either party if they place politics above governance.

And it is about time that the left established the kind of infrastructures that the right has been cultivating for 30 years to force the parties to respond to the concerns of what is 65% of the nation in this case.

Or maybe it's time the democratic party returned to "IT'S" roots, and left the looney left behind. Let the looney's form their own new party called the MOON BATS.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Or maybe it's time the democratic party returned to "IT'S" roots, and left the looney left behind. Let the looney's form their own new party called the MOON BATS.

Wow, haha, "looney" haha. Tool.

Pale Rider
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow, haha, "looney" haha. Tool.

If the shoe fits, wear it. Or in your case, you'll wear it out. Dimwit.

Gaffer
05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
soros is out to rule the country through the libs in congress. That's his goal. He owns most of them now and he's forcing out those that don't fall in line.

That is one dangerous evil man.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
soros is out to rule the country through the libs in congress. That's his goal. He owns most of them now and he's forcing out those that don't fall in line.

That is one dangerous evil man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

good old george......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, then Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad accused Soros of using the wealth under his control to punish ASEAN for welcoming Myanmar as a member. Later, he called Soros a moron.[9] Thai nationals have called Soros "an economic war criminal" who "sucks the blood from the people".[10]

loosecannon
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

good old george......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

In 1997, during the Asian financial crisis, then Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad accused Soros of using the wealth under his control to punish ASEAN for welcoming Myanmar as a member. Later, he called Soros a moron.[9] Thai nationals have called Soros "an economic war criminal" who "sucks the blood from the people".[10]

Manu, you might wanna reconsider that post and probably delete it.

The Thais criticism of Soros is all on account of his succesful capitalist ventures in line with modern GOP thinking.

They hate him because he wrecks other markets for profit, just like your GOP heroes.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Manu, you might wanna reconsider that post and probably delete it.

The Thais criticism of Soros is all on account of his succesful capitalist ventures in line with modern GOP thinking.

They hate him because he wrecks other markets for profit, just like your GOP heroes.

yep soros is just like "my" gop heroes....tell me, who are my gop heroes?

Baron Von Esslingen
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
yep soros is just like "my" gop heroes....tell me, who are my gop heroes?

Rupert Murdoch has gotta be in there somewhere... :coffee:

manu1959
05-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Rupert Murdoch has gotta be in there somewhere... :coffee:

HEY NOW....rup brodcasts all my manchester united matches......