PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Federal Court rules Obama administration in contempt of court

Little-Acorn
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Remember Obama's moratorium on deep drilling in the Gulf during the oil spill? A judge struck it down as unconstitutional. The Obamanites simply re-issued it, with virtually identical language.

Looks like the judge didn't care too much for that move.

He called it "clear and convincing evidence of the government's contempt of this court's preliminary injunction order", and ruled the Interior Department in contempt of court. This paves the way for fines, prosecution, and/or jail time for Obama administration officials responsible.

Hmmm... this isn't the only time the Obamanites have ignored a direct court order, is it?

Wasn't there a recent Obama-admin law that a similar District court found unconstitutional, and explicitly ordered the implementation stopped, only to have the White House announce that the ruling would have no effect on their continued enforcement of that law?

How long before they are ruled in contempt a second time... with similar prosecution and jail time for "highly placed officials" in the offing?

---------------------------------------

http://www.startribune.com/business/115151789.html

Judge in La. holds Interior Department in contempt over offshore oil drilling moratorium

by MICHAEL KUNZELMAN , Associated Press
Last update: February 2, 2011 - 8:05 PM

NEW ORLEANS - The federal judge who struck down the Obama administration's moratorium on deepwater drilling after the Gulf oil spill held the Interior Department in contempt Wednesday, and ordered the federal agency to pay attorneys' fees for several offshore oil companies.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman chided the department for its "dismissive conduct" after he overturned the agency's decision to halt any new permits for deepwater projects and suspend drilling on 33 exploratory wells after the Deepwater Horizon blast, which killed 11 workers and triggered the massive spill.

After Feldman overturned the government's moratorium in June, the agency issued a second nearly identical suspension.

"Such dismissive conduct, viewed in tandem with the reimposition of a second blanket and substantively identical moratorium and in light of the national importance of this case, provide this court with clear and convincing evidence of the government's contempt of this court's preliminary injunction order," he wrote.

A magistrate will consider how much the companies' attorneys should get.

An Interior Department spokeswoman wouldn't comment. A lawyer for the companies hailed the ruling.

"We're obviously delighted with the court's recognition of the government's manipulation of the judicial review process," said Carl Rosenblum, an attorney for Hornbeck Offshore Services and other companies that sued over the first moratorium.

Rosenblum said the companies haven't asked for a specific amount and aren't trying to profit.

"The end game has always been to put people back to work," he said.

Psychoblues
02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Anybody want to bet with me that the moratorium will stand as written or at least in a substantially similar form and that no one will be prosecuted much less go to jail or anything like what some of you hand wringers and grave dancers are getting all pissy legged about?

BTW, this was "BREAKING" about a day and a half ago. In the 24 hr news cycle that's a damned eternity!

Psychoblues

Here is a little more about the ruling, Judge Feldman and his conflict-of-interest and refusal to recuse himself, the possibility of his impending impeachment and possible imprisonment.

Controversial decision to block deep water drilling moratorium marred by conflict-of-interest

by Earnest A. Canning

US District Judge Martin Feldman, a 1983 Reagan appointee to the federal bench, issued what, on its face, would have to be regarded as an astounding decision [PDF] in which he blocked a six month moratorium on deep water off shore drilling, ruling that the Department of the Interior had erroneously assumed that because one rig failed, there was an imminent danger of others failing as well.

A perplexed Justice Department promptly announced that it intends to seek an immediate stay of Judge Feldman's preliminary injunction pending an appeal.

Setting aside what appears to be an inappropriate judicial intrusion by a Federalist Society-connected jurist into the prerogatives of the Executive branch in protecting public health, safety and the environment, setting aside the misguided notion that the burden rests with the government rather than the oil companies when it comes to demonstrating whether deep water drilling procedures are safe, Judge Feldman's decision --- and his failure to recuse himself despite conflict-of-interest concerns ---raises a significant question as to whether he should be impeached......................................... .....................

Lots more and lots of links: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7909

It appears this guy is a genuine sleazebag with oil dallars just dripping out of his pockets. Any activist judge can be and probably is bought and paid for and that ain't what I want for my grandchildren to endure.

Psychoblues

logroller
02-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Here is a little more about the ruling, Judge Feldman and his conflict-of-interest and refusal to recuse himself, the possibility of his impending impeachment and possible imprisonment.

Controversial decision to block deep water drilling moratorium marred by conflict-of-interest

by Earnest A. Canning

US District Judge Martin Feldman, a 1983 Reagan appointee to the federal bench, issued what, on its face, would have to be regarded as an astounding decision [PDF] in which he blocked a six month moratorium on deep water off shore drilling, ruling that the Department of the Interior had erroneously assumed that because one rig failed, there was an imminent danger of others failing as well.

A perplexed Justice Department promptly announced that it intends to seek an immediate stay of Judge Feldman's preliminary injunction pending an appeal.

Setting aside what appears to be an inappropriate judicial intrusion by a Federalist Society-connected jurist into the prerogatives of the Executive branch in protecting public health, safety and the environment, setting aside the misguided notion that the burden rests with the government rather than the oil companies when it comes to demonstrating whether deep water drilling procedures are safe, Judge Feldman's decision --- and his failure to recuse himself despite conflict-of-interest concerns ---raises a significant question as to whether he should be impeached......................................... .....................

It appears this guy is a genuine sleazebag with oil dallars just dripping out of his pockets. Any activist judge can be and probably is bought and paid for and that ain't what I want for my grandchildren to endure.

Psychoblues

Thx for the perspective PB. However, I think its important to recognize most people who invest have investments in oil and energy; but it's reasonable to question this judge's bias when he sells his investments the day of his ruling, and not the day he took on the case!

Though his financial interests in oil and gas exploration/production, including offshore drilling (around $38k in 2008, [1]), should have, IMO, precluded his involvment in the case, Northwestern professor of law Tim Howard said his reversal appeared valid[2].

[1] http://www.prwatch.org/Judge%20Feldman%20Dollars%20and%20Sense
[2] http://www.gavelgrab.org/?p=11697

fj1200
02-04-2011, 08:59 AM

The Brad Blog? Not exactly a source of unbiased legal analysis now is it?

A "sleazebag" because he owns oil stocks? And a libelous claim that he's "bought and paid for"? He won't be impeached and he's not going to jail. :laugh:

fj1200
02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
[2] http://www.gavelgrab.org/?p=11697

Tim Howard, a Northeastern University law professor, told AP that Judge Feldman’s legal thinking in the moratorium-lifting decision looked valid. The judge is an appointee of President Ronald Reagan, according to a National Law Journal profile which portrays him as a jurist with a stern reputation and a low reversal rate.

Have trouble with the decision, start the digging. Better look into Tim Howard's financial documents too. Oil money runs deep. :rolleyes:

Psychoblues
02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
The Brad Blog? Not exactly a source of unbiased legal analysis now is it?

A "sleazebag" because he owns oil stocks? And a libelous claim that he's "bought and paid for"? He won't be impeached and he's not going to jail. :laugh:

Shooting the messenger again I see, fj. I didn't call the judge a sleazebag because he owns oil stocks. I called him a sleazebag because it appears he manipulated the system for his own enrichment and refused to recuse himself from a case in which he clearly had a conflict of interest.

You're pro'bly correct. He ain't gonna be impeached or go to jail either. The jails are pro'bly full of prisoners that he sent to prison when they were teenagers for minor marijuana charges and such. Who would wand to put a judge, a now FEDERAL judge in that despicable situation?

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Shooting the messenger again I see, fj. I didn't call the judge a sleazebag because he owns oil stocks. I called him a sleazebag because it appears he manipulated the system for his own enrichment and refused to recuse himself from a case in which he clearly had a conflict of interest.

You do it all the time, I thought I'd see how it works. What was wrong with the decision?

You're pro'bly correct. He ain't gonna be impeached or go to jail either. The jails are pro'bly full of prisoners that he sent to prison when they were teenagers for minor marijuana charges and such. Who would wand to put a judge, a now FEDERAL judge in that despicable situation?

I can think of one right now that's going away. Now what was that about your unsupported blanket statement?

Psychoblues
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
You do it all the time, I thought I'd see how it works. What was wrong with the decision?

I almost NEVER do that, fj, as I don't consider it a valid or smart debating or conversational embellishment. Quite the opposite. But I do entertain with it from time to time. Pay attention, fj!!!! You're falling miserably behind!!! As far as the decision is concerned that will be for addional courts to examine and decide. I THINK it is tainted from the get go based on public information that is now available for anyone to see but that is just what I think. TBD, to be determined.

I can think of one right now that's going away. Now what was that about your unsupported blanket statement?

Unsupported blanket statement? One that's going away? WTF?

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I almost NEVER do that, fj, as I don't consider it a valid or smart debating or conversational embellishment. Quite the opposite. But I do entertain with it from time to time. Pay attention, fj!!!! You're falling miserably behind!!!

You put the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle. ;)

As far as the decision is concerned that will be for addional courts to examine and decide. I THINK it is tainted from the get go based on public information that is now available for anyone to see but that is just what I think. TBD, to be determined.

You mean like an appeal? No F'in way!!! So what was wrong with the decision other than you just not liking it?

Unsupported blanket statement? One that's going away? WTF?

You need to pay more attention to the boldings and the order in which things are posted, it would answer your questions.

Also, having to fix all of your lazy quoting is getting old.

Psychoblues
02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
You put the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle. ;)

I don't understand your concern with my bolding/emphasis on anything. It's the way I do things and as long as I ain't on no payroll around here and have to meet arbitrary expectations of some dumbass brother-in-law boss I think I'll keep on doing it the way I like and mean at the time. More on this later.

You mean like an appeal? No F'in way!!! So what was wrong with the decision other than you just not liking it?

You don't think it's headed for appeal? What makes you think so? I'm not alone in my displeasure with Judge Feldman, his decision in this case, and his apparent judicial activism and self enrichment in cases before him. I'm very far from being alone in my thinking on this issue.

You need to pay more attention to the boldings and the order in which things are posted, it would answer your questions.

WTF?

Also, having to fix all of your lazy quoting is getting old.

Maybe I've missed something but I don't recall seeing where you've fixed anything quoted by me. I quote the way I have figured out to quote. I'm not a computer or word processor guy. That was just never part of the skill sets that have ever been required of me and all I do know about posting and publishing methods and operations is self taught. I'm probably certainly wrong about most of it in some ticky way but I think I get my point across reasonably well.

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Amazing how during the Bush years, Dems were so upset when gas hit $3/gal and they laid rthe blame at the feet of Pres George W Bush and his "oil buddies"

Now, he Pres Obama and gas in about $3.20 gal and all we here are crickets chirping

With a 9% unemployment rate how many jobs would be created by the private sector if oil companies could drill for the oil we know is sitting in the ground?

How much money could middle class people save if the supply of oil is increased and the price at the pump falls?

Seems Obama and the Dems are doing all they can to keep the price at the pump as high as possible

fj1200
02-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Psychoblues

You missed the ;)

That's right the administration doesn't appeal they just write a new EO to avoid the first being knocked down.

I know, many lefties are displeased. Interesting how decisions you don't like are because of activism and graft.

WTF indeed.

Lazy quoting FTW.

red states rule
02-04-2011, 01:53 PM
You missed the ;)

That's right the administration doesn't appeal they just write a new EO to avoid the first being knocked down.

I know, many lefties are displeased. Interesting how decisions you don't like are because of activism and graft.

WTF indeed.

Lazy quoting FTW.

It is all about all those "green" jobs that are just right around the corner

Have to regulate Co2 and have everyone driving electric cars

fj1200
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Those green jobs are close, I can just feel it. It starts as a tingle up the leg right?

red states rule
02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Those green jobs are close, I can just feel it. It starts as a tingle up the leg right?

Yea they are next to that promised 8% unemployment rate after the trillion dollar stimulus plan

Or near the promised lower cost of health insurance after the passage of Obamacare

Psychoblues
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
You missed the ;)

WTF indeed.

Lazy quoting FTW.

I was just messing with you too, fj!!!!!! I hope you know that?!?!?!??! I've enjoyed our parlance these last few weeks. You challenge me in ways you probably know about but some you might not!

I think the administration will use whatever tools they find available and appropriate in this or any other case to achieve their goals. Do you resent that?

When activism and graft are clearly indicated whether on left or right politically bent issues I am completely opposed. My mother and father taught me as just a child to respect the laws and the judicial system as the truth will prevail. Sadly, after all these years I have to admit that my parents were just ignorant on these issues or maybe the times have just changed so. My parents were certainly not stupid and they did their very best, particularly my mom, to raise all 5 of us kids the correct way as they saw it.

No. I really meant that. WTF?

I know of no other way to quote, fj. I tried to explain that to you the best way I could. My bad and my fail. Until I learn better, however, my quoting habits will continue as they are.

Psychoblues

DragonStryk72
02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Psychoblues

Sill note you didn't answer his question. Just more BS. so here we go: What is your problem with the decision itself? Not anything else, just the federal judge's ruling?

red states rule
02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I was just messing with you too, fj!!!!!! I hope you know that?!?!?!??! I've enjoyed our parlance these last few weeks. You challenge me in ways you probably know about but some you might not!

I think the administration will use whatever tools they find available and appropriate in this or any other case to achieve their goals. Do you resent that?

When activism and graft are clearly indicated whether on left or right politically bent issues I am completely opposed. My mother and father taught me as just a child to respect the laws and the judicial system as the truth will prevail. Sadly, after all these years I have to admit that my parents were just ignorant on these issues or maybe the times have just changed so. My parents were certainly not stupid and they did their very best, particularly my mom, to raise all 5 of us kids the correct way as they saw it.

I know of no other way to quote, fj. I tried to explain that to you the best way I could. My bad and my fail. Until I learn better, however, my quoting habits will continue as they are.

Psychoblues

Wow, what a difference with you when it is a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT as President using all the means at his disposal to meet their goals

Do I need to go back and post what you said about Pres Bush when he used EO's to enact his goals?

Tell me PB gas prices are going up as the cost of oil rises. That is a tax on all of us and if the prices continue to increase this weak recovery will be stopped dead in its tracks

Why would anyone oppose drilling for the oil we have within our on country and off our shores?

fj1200
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM

When unethical? Yes. What was wrong with the opinion/order?

Who isn't opposed? Except for The sour grapes aspect that is. :poke:

A Fed DC judge in jail; it happens.

logroller
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
:lol:
Have trouble with the decision, start the digging. Better look into Tim Howard's financial documents too. Oil money runs deep. :rolleyes:
I have no problem with the decision, and I premised my response in admitting oil money runs deep (I have--or, had $50k in BP, now its a bit less)--- the issue I have is judges arent supposed to rule on a case they have a conflict of interest in.

Thx for the perspective PB. However, I think its important to recognize most people who invest have investments in oil and energy; but it's reasonable to question this judge's bias when he sells his investments the day of his ruling, and not the day he took on the case!

Time for a public service message:

"Where'd you learn how to do this?"
"I learned by watching you, dad!"

Just make sure you don't have any shortness of breath or tightness in the chest -- what might feel like a panic attack could be a heart attack! Better get checked out, just to make sure-- you have insurance right?:poke::laugh2: