PDA

View Full Version : Muslims seek change in their Hollywood story

chloe
02-04-2011, 09:37 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) - After years of watching Muslims portrayed as terrorists in mainstream TV and movies, an advocacy group hopes to change that image by grooming a crop of aspiring Muslim screenwriters who can bring their stories _ and perspective _ to Hollywood.
The Muslim Public Affairs Council is hosting a series of workshops taught by Emmy-winning and Oscar-nominated veterans over the next month, an initiative that builds on the group's outreach for a more representative picture of Muslim-Americans on the screen.

"The idea is to really give Muslims an avenue to tell our stories. It's as simple as that. There's a curiosity about Islam and a curiosity about who Muslims are _ and a lot of the fear that we're seeing comes from only hearing one story or these constant negative stories," said Deana Nassar, MPAC's Hollywood liaison.
At the council's first screenwriting workshop last Saturday, three dozen attendees packed into a classroom in downtown Los Angeles to hear Emmy-winning comedy writer Ed Driscoll give tips of the trade, from knowing the audience to making a script outline.

The group also has held meetings with top network executives from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, and throws a Muslim-inspired version of a Hollywood awards show each year for productions, both mainstream and independent, that advance understanding of Islam. In 2009, winners included "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Simpsons," for an episode that featured Bart befriending a Muslim boy named Bashir.
The goal is not to spoon-feed Hollywood Muslim-friendly story lines, but to increase awareness of the diversity of American Muslims and to be a resource for writers and producers, Nassar said.
"There's only a small, small number of people who are trying to drive a negative agenda. Most of the time it's innocent oversight, and they're very happy to get our take on what they're doing, to get our feedback," said Nassar, who also attended the workshop and is an entertainment lawyer by training.

That feedback has been an eye-opener and a challenge for some in the industry, where the Muslim-as-terrorist plot line has been an accepted story for years.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=576&sid=6237836

texastom
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=576&sid=6237836I bet this will result in some real ratings winners! /sarcasm

chloe
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I bet this will result in some real ratings winners! /sarcasm

I could write the first tear jerking episode will be about a boy Aalim whose family is transplanted from Iran to Wyoming, he has his first school girl friend whom has him to dinner only to discover Her insensitive bigot parents made pork chops and potatos.

The 30 minute show will be about his decision on whether or not to eat the chops, break up with the girl

OR
Bomb those infidel insensitive parents.:laugh2:

Thunderknuckles
02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I could write the first tear jerking episode will be about a boy Aalim whose family is transplanted from Iran to Wyoming, he has his first school girl friend whom has him to dinner only to discover Her insensitive bigot parents made pork chops and potatos.
:
And there you have it! That is exactly what is meant by furthering and understanding of Islam. Nothing more than a propaganda move wherein Islamic characters are shown as being the victims of western abuse. The moral of each story is how "good" the Islamic character is and how "bad" the western character is.

Now, I don't have a problem with a good film or story based in the Islamic world as long as it's honest and not trying tell me what a jerk I supposedly am. Two stories come to mind: The Kite Runner and Slumdog Millionaire. No hidden agendas, just great tales that happen to take place in another part of the world.

fj1200
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
And there you have it! That is exactly what is meant by furthering and understanding of Islam. Nothing more than a propaganda move wherein Islamic characters are shown as being the victims of western abuse. The moral of each story is how "good" the Islamic character is and how "bad" the western character is.

How about we, you know, wait until the results are in. We can also choose to not watch propaganda.

Thunderknuckles
02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
How about we, you know, wait until the results are in.
Because it's much easier to jump to conclusions?
:p

chloe
02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I wanna watch the corny sitcom with the little disney parable:laugh2:

country
02-06-2011, 06:39 PM

The 30 minute show will be about his decision on whether or not to eat the chops, break up with the girl

OR
Bomb those infidel insensitive parents.:laugh2:

Now that theres funny!