PDA

View Full Version : Why I'll probably never ride agian.

Mr. P
05-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I stopped years ago because everyone was trying to kill me.
Who know what my future holds though.

In fact, per vehicle mile traveled, NHTSA estimates that in 2005, motorcyclists were about 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash.

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 08:43 AM

I quit 17 years ago when my son was born. Everyone was trying to kill me too.

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
It was bad on the road before cell phones....now, I could only see riding up around Steph's neck of the woods. It is the most incredible lesson in defensive driving you can imagine though.

I used to have a lifted CJ-5 Jeep and with the doors off and the windshield down it felt a lot like riding on top of a vehicle...I guess I was, but nobody saw me driving that big thing. If you get broadsided while driving those you are also most likely toast so I really learned a lot about defensive driving from that. I also bought a very loud airhorn to wake people up.

Before that I had a Triumph Spitfire that was also never seen, when I was next to a normal American size car I was almost invisible to the driver unless I was in the left lane. It would really be dangerous now with the airheads driving giant land yahts.

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
amen to that Sitarro, i guess red is a hard color to see when there is snow all around...i mean it blends in so well

i would like to see if they could make a percentage of how many of them are young guys on crotch rockets compared to a cruiser and such bike.

darin
05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
but I bet motorcycle rates of accidents are lower than cars. It's just - when you finally crash, usually you get really hurt. :)

jackass
05-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I cant wait to get my new bike!!! :D

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
almost need a bike cause of gas

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm gona have a bike soon. Quick as my parents cn get around to buying me one. Which will prolly be sometime after next weekend when I get my license.

darin
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm gona have a bike soon. Quick as my parents cn get around to buying me one. Which will prolly be sometime after next weekend when I get my license.

Can I have your post-count after you kill yourself?

KitchenKitten99
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM

whats the matter? A little hard work to purchase one yourself too much of a difficult concept for you?

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
:( that is my prob...stupid money costing me

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
My dad forbade me to ride on a motorcycle, but I wasn't interested in doing it anyway. He said that the worst service-related injury he got in the Army was when he fell off a motorcycle and broke his leg.

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
whats the matter? A little hard work to purchase one yourself too much of a difficult concept for you?

Well I'm getting a job this summer but if my parents are willing to help me out and buy me one, it would be stupid of me to refuse after all the persuading I had to do to get their permission for one in the first place.

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Can I have your post-count after you kill yourself?

Sure.........as long as if I don't end up killing myself on a bike in the next few years I can have yours.

darin
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Sure.........as long as if I don't end up killing myself on a bike in the next few years I can have yours.

I promise you'll crash within a few months.

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Crashing and dying are too different things and I bet I don't even crash after I learn how.

KitchenKitten99
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Crashing and dying are too different things and I bet I don't even crash after I learn how.

how do you expect to be able to handle a bike when you are still learning to handle a car? Do you know how to drive a manual car? If not, good luck on operating a motorcycle. BTW, what kind of motorcycle are you looking at?

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
No I can't drive a stick shift, yes it's gona be a little tough learning to use a clutch and shift gears but I think I can handle it. my mom learned last year just fine and she never had either. Yes i can drive my car just fine.

The type of bike, something small, like a 250. Would like a ninja but would settle for whatever as long as it's fast enough to drive on the highway if necessery and runs good.

darin
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM

Right - but as the stat in the OP shows; WHEN you crash, you're MUCH more likely to DIE.

Two kinds of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who will.

I know - I KNOW I'm a better rider than you'll likely EVER be; and I crashed. Hard. Luckily I lived.

Mr. P
05-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Pay yer money and take yer chances...

NHTSA estimates that 80 percent of motorcycle crashes injure or kill a motorcycle rider, while only 20 percent of passenger car crashes injure or kill a driver or passenger in the vehicle.

KitchenKitten99
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
No I can't drive a stick shift, yes it's gona be a little tough learning to use a clutch and shift gears but I think I can handle it. my mom learned last year just fine and she never had either. Yes i can drive my car just fine.

The type of bike, something small, like a 250. Would like a ninja but would settle for whatever as long as it's fast enough to drive on the highway if necessery and runs good.

I will tell you that I learned to drive a manual truck about a year after I got my license. I have been driving since 1995, manuals off and on. Either way, I have been driving since you were in kindergarten. Just this spring, my friend's husband is starting to teach me to ride his sport bike, which is only a 650. You think it is easy? It is not, I have been driving for 10x the length that you have and I find it pretty challenging. The concept is much different and the danger level with riding a bike is greater. You really should have a few years of driving a car under your belt before taking to the roads on a crotch rocket or any motorcycle for that matter.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:23 PM
watched a guy die right in front of me.....i was 7 or so....

my uncle was backing out of the drive way....dude nailed the right rear quarter panel....

would never ride one....

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I will tell you that I learned to drive a manual truck about a year after I got my license. I have been driving since 1995, manuals off and on. Either way, I have been driving since you were in kindergarten. Just this spring, my friend's husband is starting to teach me to ride his sport bike, which is only a 650. You think it is easy? It is not, I have been driving for 10x the length that you have and I find it pretty challenging. The concept is much different and the danger level with riding a bike is greater. You really should have a few years of driving a car under your belt before taking to the roads on a crotch rocket or any motorcycle for that matter.

never said it would be the easiest thing to learn. Just said I was gona learn. Car's aren't like bikes, you could drive a car forever and never be used to or able to ride a bike. You could never drive a car and be great at driving a bike. They're not skills that are one in the same.

Trigg
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
My husband would like to have one. But I say no, they're just to dangerous.

He saw two people die the other day, making an innocent rt hand turn, the truck behind them wasn't paying attention.

When my son drives, 2 yrs from now, I am buying him somthing with a lot of metal between him and someone else. Big and perferably stick shift so none of his buddies can drive it.

Trigg
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM

Good lord, I didn't realize you were this young.

As for you saying after you learn you will not get in a wreck. Just start a thread asking everyone if they got in a wreck the first year they started driving.

I'll start, I took out the "road narrows" sign in my dads 1 1/2 ton pickup truck going over a bridge in my first year.

It is pretty much a given you WILL have a wreck sometime in your first year.

Your parents are crazy if they let you drive a motorcycle

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I've already been driving a year. haven't wrecked yet. Hoping the luck hodes cuz if I do the insurance will go even more thru the roof.

I don't think my parents are crazy. my dad drove a motorcycle at my age. He loved it and survived even though hist story seen way more dangerous then I would try. Don't like living too far on the edge.

Besides two kids from my school just died sat. night after prom in a car wreck. No drinking just over corrected on a narrow road when a car was passing, went off the edge, flipped and slammed into a tree. Luck of the draw, could happen to anyone. I've almost been driven off the road on my narrow roads. No reason not to live life cuz you might die.

5stringJeff
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Just start a thread asking everyone if they got in a wreck the first year they started driving.

Three days after I got my license, I drove to a Young Life get-together, which didn't get over until about 9PM. I was following someone out of a neighborhood I was unfamiliar with. They got too far ahead of me, and I was speeding (35 in a 25) to catch up. Suddenly, the road curved. I didn't. I went into a ditch and dented the front bumper. Thankfully I wasn't hurt worse.

5stringJeff
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I know - I KNOW I'm a better rider than you'll likely EVER be; and I crashed. Hard. Luckily I lived.

But it made for a smashing video! :D

(pun intended)

Seriously, though, about two more feet and you would have had multiple broken ribs, likely internal bleeding, etc.

glockmail
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM

I quit 17 years ago when my son was born. Everyone was trying to kill me too.

I feel diss'd, y'all not contributing these to this thread: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=51244&postcount=1
:cry:

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Dad just brought me home a Honda rebel. Sweet bike. Once I've learned good and rode a year I'll prolly get a bigger one. Anyone wana pic?

shattered
05-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Dad just brought me home a Honda 250. Sweet bike. Once I've learned good and rode a year I'll prolly get a bigger one. Anyone wana pic?

Well, if you're going to post the "before" pic, you'd better post an "after" pic, when you get around to tanking it, which you WILL do; guaranteed.

Personally, I think you're tooo self-absorbed to ride a bike responsibly.. You need to probably take a defensive driving course, first. While you think you're "owed" an awful lot in life, the same does not apply to the road.

5stringJeff
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Dad just brought me home a Honda rebel. Sweet bike. Once I've learned good and rode a year I'll prolly get a bigger one. Anyone wana pic?

Sure, post one!

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 07:33 PM

I want a pic of the accident. And the dumb ass parents that would buy a 17 year old a motorcycle.

Kathianne
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I want a pic of the accident. And the dumb ass parents that would buy a 17 year old a motorcycle.

I have to agree with you. My junior high sweetheart's parents had more money than brains. When he turned 16, on his birthday, they gave him a new Corvette and a 'Cuda. His dad wanted him to have the Corvette, the kid wanted the 'Cuda. Less than 6 months later he was dead, in the 'vett trying to cross a busy road, thought he could 'beat' traffic. The car splintered apart. A motorcycle, even less protection.

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Well he just gave me the motorcycle can kill ya speech. I really think he got me it so he could teach me saftey himeself cuz he knew I would get one when I got on my own and he'd have no control over how I learned to ride and handle it.

Pics.

The promised pic. It's a honda rebel. Sweet bike, dad just brought it home for me today.

The bike alone.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/783/picture003pm6.jpg

Me on it just after hopping outa bed in my night clothes cuz I was taking a nap when they woke me up to show it to me. Not too pretty pic of me but oh well.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7056/picture008ef7.jpg

My dads bike just in contrast.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4485/picture102hn5.jpg

and a pic of my new kittens throw in just cuz I was doing pictures.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2252/picture002ch0.jpg

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2124/picture001rz6.jpg

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I have to agree with you. My junior high sweetheart's parents had more money than brains. When he turned 16, on his birthday, they gave him a new Corvette and a 'Cuda. His dad wanted him to have the Corvette, the kid wanted the 'Cuda. Less than 6 months later he was dead, in the 'vett trying to cross a busy road, thought he could 'beat' traffic. The car splintered apart. A motorcycle, even less protection.

A kid just died yesterday in a truck. Racing a friends to a party or thats the story now. Killed his girlfriend. It's how you drive, not your age. I'd never try to pass a van on a narrow backroad at night going 75 mph.

Kathianne
05-08-2007, 07:51 PM
A kid just died yesterday in a truck. Racing a friends to a party or thats the story now. Killed his girlfriend. It's how you drive, not your age. I'd never try to pass a van on a narrow backroad at night going 75 mph.

I love your pics, especially of the cute kitten. I understand what you are saying about driving, but take it from someone that wrote insurance policies for 5 years, age/experience matter. On the back end, all the experience of many years, do NOT make up for poor reflexes or bad eyesight.

Yurt
05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Right - but as the stat in the OP shows; WHEN you crash, you're MUCH more likely to DIE.

Two kinds of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who will.

I never figured you for an optimist....

glockmail
05-09-2007, 08:25 AM
A kid just died yesterday in a truck. Racing a friends to a party or thats the story now. Killed his girlfriend. It's how you drive, not your age. I'd never try to pass a van on a narrow backroad at night going 75 mph. On a bike you can get killed doing 30 by someone else's mistake. I owe my survival for understanding that, and by having fast reflexes and a mess of experience riding a dirt bike.

glockmail
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Me on it just after hopping outa bed in my night clothes cuz I was taking a nap when they woke me up to show it to me. Not too pretty pic of me but oh well.... Brush your hair, put on some nice clothes and I bet you'd clean up well. :poke:

At least your Dad rides. He can show you some stuff.

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Brush your hair, put on some nice clothes and I bet you'd clean up well. :poke:

Yeah but that would be like work.

Trigg
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Don't be shy remember to post those crash pics here in a few months.

Seriously be careful and not just with your driving habits but those of the people around you. We're all seen the people putting on makeup, reading a book on the interstate and trying to eat all while doing 65.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM

:laugh: She's not even going to get a motorcycle endorsement unless she takes a motorcycle riding course acredited by her state, and then, I'd bet she crashes during that course!

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 01:53 PM

I bought my own first motorcycle when I was TEN!

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM

It's how you drive, not your age. I'd never try to pass a van on a narrow backroad at night going 75 mph.

WRONG! It's how the OTHER guy drives.

I've been riding for over FORTY YEARS, LOTS of miles, LOTS of experience, but when that asshole runs a red light and turns right in front of you, you're crashing. There is NO WAY TO AVOID IT! You're going to PLOW RIGHT INTO THEM, and it WON'T be YOUR FAULT.

Darin is right, whether or not you're going to crash isn't the issue, it's "when."

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/962/wreck0021ye2.jpg

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1895/wreck0061uh5.jpg

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Well aren't ya'll just negative bunch but anywayif I crash it I'll be sure and postpics. I might spill it a few times learning but I doubt a big crash is in my near future.

KitchenKitten99
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
...but I doubt a big crash is in my near future.
And they said the Titanic was unsinkable... what's your point?

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
My point is that's my opinion.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
My point is that's my opinion.

Your opinion won't keep you out of an accident.

Hey, riding bikes is fun. Why do think I did it for so many years? But I don't want to give you some line of B.S.. You WILL crash at some point if continue to ride. And like I say, it may not even be your fault, and there won't be any way to avoid it.

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Nope neither can ya'll predict the future.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Well in this case, odds are insurmountable against you. So it's called an educated guess.

Mr. P
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM

This future you speak of can be predicted buy anyone who has ever rode a motorcycle. Like it not, those that have been there are right.

glockmail
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah but that would be like work. No pain no gain girl. It wouldn't take much to turn that "library geek" look into a "sweet young thing". :laugh2:

glockmail
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Well aren't ya'll just negative bunch but anywayif I crash it I'll be sure and postpics. I might spill it a few times learning but I doubt a big crash is in my near future. Do yourself a favor and get a good full face helmet and leathers. I use to wear a Bell and it was great. I even bought one for my girl and monogramed it for her.

You also should take a safety course or something. I used to find an empty road and practice panic stops. I could go 60 to 0 very quickly without unweighting the rear.

Trigg
05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Well in this case, odds are insurmountable against you. So it's called an educated guess.

She's not listening, at her age she knows everything and nothing will ever happen to her just to other people.

Liberal, just take away from these comments that a crash will happen and it possibly will not be your fault. EVERYONE has an accident at some point soon after starting to drive. It's a fact of life.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
She's not listening, at her age she knows everything and nothing will ever happen to her just to other people.

Liberal, just take away from these comments that a crash will happen and it possibly will not be your fault. EVERYONE has an accident at some point soon after starting to drive. It's a fact of life.

I wasn't trying to rain on her parade, I was just trying to enlighten her to the facts. I love to ride as much as the next person, and have for years. But I don't deny the facts.

You ride a bike, you will crash. It's just a matter of when... and how bad.

shattered
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
This future you speak of can be predicted buy anyone who has ever rode a motorcycle. Like it not, those that have been there are right.

Hell, I *haven't* been there, and I know y'all are right. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've ever known with a bike has tanked it, due to no fault of their own.

emmett
05-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Actually Mr P. (neighbor), motorcycle accidents by frequency ratio are much less than automobiles. Most motorcyclists are pretty careful. Now you and I know based on where we live that the hills of North Georgia fill every weekend with the Atlantans with their new leathers, crotch rocket riders and other types parading to the hills for a weekend of fun on our winding, testy roads.

Safety courses are great but if your sole desire is to simply pass the test and heed no lesson learned there, well, it is a waste of time to even take it. 85% of accidents involving motorcyclists in Georgia for instance happen to riders with less than 1 year of experience. Education!

I have been a motorcyclist for over 30 years. I have had two accidents. Both many years ago and neither were my fault. Both involved elderly individuals who pulled out in front of me. I would never stop riding though. I have several bikes, all Harley's, a full dresser, 2 70's shovelheads, a sportster and an 85 FLH. I have been a member of ABATE for many years and was it's Legislative Director for District 2 for 5 years. I also ran and lost the election for State Director of Georgia in 2004 so I have been around the motorcycle game for along time.

The numbers I quote are based on material I have here in the truck with me and are a result of ABATE research data and a selection of the different authorities, groups, AMA and other related groups.

Here are some facts about motorcycles.

Crotch Rocket (sport bikes) are 13 times more likely to be involved in an accident than others. 20 times more likely to be killed in that accident. Interesting!

Wearing a helmet actually does not reduce your liklihood of being killed in an accident! Hard to believe, but very true!

What does seem to reduce accidents is education and experience. For instance: Riders over 50 years of age are not involved in enough accidents to represent a single percentage point of fatalities on motorcycles in Georgia. They are still just as hard to see as other riders, all the other factors are the same, only their age and experience seems to keep them safer. Hmmmm! What are they doing that others are not, well, they are riding safer! Defensive Driving on a motorcycle is a serious game and experience and education seem to make a big difference.

Here is a stat for you! Women are safer riders than men! It isn't even close. The ratio of woman to men registered license holders are about 16% women. However, they do NOT represent 16% of the accidents. Only about 8%. What are women doing that the men are not? Well, they are completing the Georgia Motorcycle Safety Course for one. Over 90% of women who ride in Georgia have graduated from that course. HMmmmmm!!!! Interesting!

Experience / Education!

Psychoblues
05-10-2007, 04:56 AM
While so many of you are so quick to admonish the most insignificant mistake of other posters I can't believe that you missed this one. Maybe it's a partisan thing? Naw, I ain't that paranoid. 3 pages and nobody has said a work about it.

What does "agian" mean?

I'll keep that in my notes.

Mr. P
05-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Excellent information Emmett!

I know that motorcycle accidents by frequency ratio are much less than automobiles. In the year I worked the helicopter EMS job we had many auto accident calls, just 3 motorcycle calls. The difference though like the first snip quote points out was the percentage of fatalities. In those 3 calls for motorcycle accidents only one survived, the other two were DRT (Dead-Right-There).

I agree education is important, combined with maturity your chances of not having an accident are much better. There's no question about it.

glockmail
05-10-2007, 06:10 AM
I wasn't trying to rain on her parade, I was just trying to enlighten her to the facts. I love to ride as much as the next person, and have for years. But I don't deny the facts.

You ride a bike, you will crash. It's just a matter of when... and how bad.

Hell, I *haven't* been there, and I know y'all are right. EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've ever known with a bike has tanked it, due to no fault of their own.

In over 40K miles, the only accident I had with a street bike was dumping it in a parking lot manuevering at foot speed in neutral- twisting my ankle badly. I did avoid many accidents or potential accidents with quick reactions and well thought out stategies on "getting out" or avoiding bad situations altogether.

But I quit because it was only a matter of time, due to getting older, slower reaction times and the law of averages.

Mr. P
05-10-2007, 06:28 AM
In over 40K miles, the only accident I had with a street bike was dumping it in a parking lot manuevering at foot speed in neutral- twisting my ankle badly. I did avoid many accidents or potential accidents with quick reactions and well thought out stategies on "getting out" or avoiding bad situations altogether.

But I quit because it was only a matter of time, due to getting older, slower reaction times and the law of averages.

I did the same. But man, the mental exhaustion of always being 200% on your toes all the time while riding in and around a high traffic density area was just no fun.

And then there was getting caught in the rain. :laugh2:

glockmail
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I did the same. But man, the mental exhaustion of always being 200% on your toes all the time while riding in and around a high traffic density area was just no fun.

And then there was getting caught in the rain. :laugh2:

One time it was raining very hard when I left for work, so I put on my rain jacket with hood and walked to the bus. After a block I was soaked to my underwear, so I went back home, changed my clothes, put some spare shoes and socks in a waterproof bag, put on my rain suit and rode to work. After I got there I changed my socks and shoes and was completely dry.

Mr. P
05-10-2007, 07:53 AM
One time it was raining very hard when I left for work, so I put on my rain jacket with hood and walked to the bus. After a block I was soaked to my underwear, so I went back home, changed my clothes, put some spare shoes and socks in a waterproof bag, put on my rain suit and rode to work. After I got there I changed my socks and shoes and was completely dry.

I read a for sale add the other day for a cycle..the guy claimed the bike had NEVER been ridden in the rain. I guess he only rode up an down his street on it.:laugh2:

glockmail
05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I read a for sale add the other day for a cycle..the guy claimed the bike had NEVER been ridden in the rain. I guess he only rode up an down his street on it.:laugh2: I rode mine in any northeast weather except during the winter. I would cancel my car insurance for 6 months and the bike was my only transportation.

LiberalNation
05-11-2007, 01:03 PM
So hafta go to that class tonight then this weekend. Sounds tiring but oh well. Only 2 school days left after today.

Mr. P
05-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I rode mine in any northeast weather except during the winter. I would cancel my car insurance for 6 months and the bike was my only transportation.

I never rode in bad weather on purpose, but I sure got caught in the rain a few times..That's what I thought was so funny about the claim he made. If you ride your going to get wet, sometimes.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 02:59 PM
So took that class today and yesterday. Pretty easy, riding a bike ain't that tough, don't know what ya'll were worring about. He only let us go up to third gear tho which was sad cuz I wanted to go faster but I guess I can do that on my bike at home. Besides that did tight U turns, long turns, quick stopping, swerving, going over an obstacle, ect. Passed easy. The only problem I had in the beggining was letting my clutch out too fast and the engine cutting out but have it down now. Can't wait to start on my own bike on the road.

nevadamedic
05-13-2007, 05:21 PM
LN when you get your new bike, please dont wear a helmet.

Kathianne
05-13-2007, 05:22 PM

That's sick.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Nah but I do know of this bridge you can jump off.

Mr. P
05-13-2007, 05:48 PM

:laugh2: The ole Darwin award kid here I'm afraid.

Kathianne
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
:laugh2: The ole Darwin award kid here I'm afraid.

Yep! Why I said it was 'sick.' LOL!

Mr. P
05-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep! Why I said it was 'sick.' LOL!

I mean, LN. :slap:

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Hell I rode without a helmet for the first thirty years I rode. There wasn't a helmet law in Wisconsin.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
SO just got done riding with my dad on the back roads. He said I did pretty good, wouldn't let me go over 35. He just stopped me once cuz I was riding in the center of a road that didn't have a yellow line. Also said I need to take my curves a bit slower and pick up more speed before I shift each time. Would have gone in town but the bikes not licensed. I think they're gona do that tomorrow. I'll be riding on the highway by next week.

Yes I wore a helmet, there isn't a helmet law here unless your under 21, which I am so I'm supposed to wear one.

Mr. P
05-13-2007, 07:49 PM
SO just got done riding with my dad on the back roads. He said I did pretty good, wouldn't let me go over 35. He just stopped me once cuz I was riding in the center of a road that didn't have a yellow line. Also said I need to take my curves a bit slower and pick up more speed before I shift each time. Would have gone in town but the bikes not licensed. I think they're gona do that tomorrow. I'll be riding on the highway by next week.

Yes I wore a helmet, there isn't a helmet law here unless your under 21, which I am so I'm supposed to wear one.

Oh goody, Dad buy a 17 year old a motorcycle then takes her out to ride it before it's licensed.

What's wrong with this picture? Geeeeeeezzzzz

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I'll be riding on the highway by next week.

Ya... here we go.....

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4241/motorcycle20crashza0.jpg

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh goody, Dad buy a 17 year old a motorcycle then takes her out to ride it before it's licensed.
Ya see, that doesn't much matter if there are no cops around to see. It doesn't affect your driving ability in the least if you don't have a little sticker on there.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Ya... here we go.....

Ooooo, that looks like it would hurt. Want a pic of a deadly car wreck or plane crash. There is risk in everything you do in life.

shattered
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM

What's wrong with this picture? Geeeeeeezzzzz

Nothing. The picture just hasn't reached it's completion yet.

It WILL be complete when she crashes the bike, before it's licensed, and daddy sues the company for a faulty, unsafe bike.

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Ooooo, that looks like it would hurt. Want a pic of a deadly car wreck or plane crash. There is risk in everything you do in life.

You have zero experience. You have not taken a motorcycle safety course. You don't know when to shift or how fast to take corners, AND NEXT WEEK YOU'RE HEADING OUT ON THE HIGHWAY.... YEAH.... RIGHT.

See ya in the emergency room, that is IF you make it.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 08:15 PM
The class I just took was a safety course. I didn't need it to ride or get my license. I do know how to shift and take corners reasonbly well. Haven't dumped the bike yet or went into a ditch or over a yellow line doing it. I've only been riding 2 days now, I think I'm doing pretty good for that little of time. Besides 2 lane highway, 55, no curves, doesn't sound so hard if I practice all week.

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
The class I just took was a safety course. I didn't need it to ride or get my license. I do know how to shift and take corners reasonbly well. Haven't dumped the bike yet or went into a ditch or over a yellow line doing it. I've only been riding 2 days now, I think I'm doing pretty good for that little of time. Besides 2 lane highway, 55, no curves, doesn't sound so hard if I practice all week.

How much did you ride a bicycle? Did you ever have a mini bike? A little dirt bike maybe?

If you all you've ever done is jump on that bike, and all you have is a couple days of experience, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt... you're not ready. You will wreck. Riding in traffic takes years of experience and keen, in tune senses to that only come from experience. If I was your dad, I'd have made you ride at LEAST a year on a dirt bike or something around in a field. Just taking off like you're doing is a sure recipe for disaster.

Mark my words. I will be saying, "I told you so."

shattered
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
How much did you ride a bicycle? Did you ever have a mini bike? A little dirt bike maybe?

If you all you've ever done is jump on that bike, and all you have is a couple days of experience, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt... you're not ready. You will wreck. Riding in traffic takes years of experience and keen, in tune senses to that only come from experience. If I was your dad, I'd have made you ride at LEAST a year on a dirt bike or something around in a field. Just taking off like you're doing is a sure recipe for disaster.

Mark my words. I will be saying, "I told you so."

*poke* Her father is letting her ride without a license, in a public area.. What does THAT tell you?

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Yes I've rode a bicycle and a dirt bike for like half a year until they got rid of it cuz we moved to a place that didn't have a place near to ride.

As for saying I told ya so, will see.

LiberalNation
05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
*poke* Her father is letting her ride without a license, in a public area.. What does THAT tell you?
The motorcycle isn't licensed yet cuz we just bought it. I am.

Pale Rider
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
The motorcycle isn't licensed yet cuz we just bought it. I am.

You're telling me that you already have a FULL motorcycle endorsement on your D.L.?

LiberalNation
05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Not just yet, I have my permit which allows me to ride on any road, the only restriction being I can't carry passengers. Still have a few more days till I can turn in the card from that class and get my full license and the M on my drivers license. You don't even need it, you can ride forever with a permit if you don't wana tote but I figure why not since I can and my parents will cover the cost.

Trigg
05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Ya... here we go.....

My husband would like to have one. This pic is a great example of why I won't give in.

Hagbard Celine
05-14-2007, 03:21 PM
I want one! I want to travel route 66 from Indianapolis to SanFran on a bike before I die and I want to do it with my dad and brother before Pops gets too old to do it. I need to start working on this one...

Mr. P
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Ya see, that doesn't much matter if there are no cops around to see. It doesn't affect your driving ability in the least if you don't have a little sticker on there.

Nope it doesn't, but it does affect insurance coverage. Besides that it's illegal. Doesn't say much for Dad either, IMO.:slap:

glockmail
05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I want one! I want to travel route 66 from Indianapolis to SanFran on a bike before I die and I want to do it with my dad and brother before Pops gets too old to do it. I need to start working on this one... Get a sidecar for the old geezer. :laugh2:

LiberalNation
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
The bike now has a license plate on it.Now I can drive it anywhere not just back roads I know nobody will be on.

Pale Rider
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I want one! I want to travel route 66 from Indianapolis to SanFran on a bike before I die and I want to do it with my dad and brother before Pops gets too old to do it. I need to start working on this one...

That's a great ride. You'd have the time of your life.

Pale Rider
05-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Not just yet, I have my permit which allows me to ride on any road, the only restriction being I can't carry passengers. Still have a few more days till I can turn in the card from that class and get my full license and the M on my drivers license. You don't even need it, you can ride forever with a permit if you don't wana tote but I figure why not since I can and my parents will cover the cost.

If I know the law, you can't ride at night either.

LiberalNation
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Didn't know that but wasn't planning on it. practiced again in my neighborhood today. Then mom rode it a bit too. Fun bike, the throttle sticks a little and makes it jerky sometimes but not too bad.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Didn't know that but wasn't planning on it. practiced again in my neighborhood today. Then mom rode it a bit too. Fun bike, the throttle sticks a little and makes it jerky sometimes but not too bad. Got any pics of Mom? :poke:

LiberalNation
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM
lol not for you.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
lol not for you. Oh come on don't torture me, babe. I don't need to see any boobs or stuff. I just want to check out what you'll look like in 25 years. :laugh2:

LiberalNation
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Don't really look like my mom so wouldn't tell ya much.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Don't really look like my mom so wouldn't tell ya much.
Someone with more experience should decide on that. Like me. :laugh2:

LiberalNation
05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Got up to 55 today, road mainly backroads and in town. Pretty fun, my turn signal is hard to press. Gona hafta work on that.

Sitarro
05-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Got up to 55 today, road mainly backroads and in town. Pretty fun, my turn signal is hard to press. Gona hafta work on that.

You should try to ride knowing that NOBODY sees you and will pull out in front of you, pull into your lane and open their door into you once they park. A helmet isn't enough. Gloves, leathers and boots should be your outer skin unless scar tissue is attractive to you. You can be in the right all the time and still get into a life threatening accident at the blink of an eye. Entering a turn you aren't familiar with at high speed could have a surprise right in the middle of it.....wet or sand/gravel.....there is a lot to pay attention to that is very unforgiving when on 2 wheels, take it slow.

nevadamedic
05-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Be careful, we cant give you shit if your in the hospital :laugh2:

LiberalNation
05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
You should try to ride knowing that NOBODY sees you and will pull out in front of you, pull into your lane and open their door into you once they park. A helmet isn't enough. Gloves, leathers and boots should be your outer skin unless scar tissue is attractive to you. You can be in the right all the time and still get into a life threatening accident at the blink of an eye. Entering a turn you aren't familiar with at high speed could have a surprise right in the middle of it.....wet or sand/gravel.....there is a lot to pay attention to that is very unforgiving when on 2 wheels, take it slow.

I know, I'm carefull. Especially with my dad riding behind giving me hell everytime we stop if I do anything not just right. He wont let me ride alone except around the subdivision yet.

LiberalNation
05-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Gloves, leathers and boots should be your outer skin unless scar tissue is attractive to you.
Need some $ first. That stuff costs money and I don't have any.

Mr. P
05-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Yep. Rounded a curve on a country road at 35 mph...pot hole...couldn't avoid it...lost control..amazing how fast 35 mph is when you have no control...front wheel shaking left to right...relaxed my grip...lucky the momentum and physics restored order. ALL IN ABOUT 3 SECONDS.

LiberalNation
06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
My bikes too small. I need a bigger one. It wouldn't go faster then 55 when I took it out today.