PDA

View Full Version : Taking bets on destroyed town.

Mr. P
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM
In one year, maybe a bit longer, I say these folks will have their town rebuilt and never blame Bush. Takers?

F-5 tornado wipes out 95% of Greensburg, Kansas

Every business on Greensburg’s main street was demolished and officials estimate as much as 95 percent of the town was destroyed. Tree trunks stood bare, stripped of most of their branches. All the churches were destroyed.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
not a great bet for you Mr P.

Disaster is often what decides when it is time to let a town go.

If the economy that built the town no longer thrives it may be over.

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
i don't know Mr. P...maybe we should give them some trailers so they have some place to sleep after working on the rebuilding process..i mean they had warning...oh wait...

Nukeman
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Seeing as its an agricultural economy I think the residents will rebuild with no problems, I mean after all the ground wasn't distroyed.

One thing I have learned about the folks in KS is they are very resilliant and bounce back after this type of disaster. They dont demand handouts and wait for others to pickup after them...

darin
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
It's cuz they're white. :)

Mr. P
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM

Looks like they intend to rebuild to me.

City Administrator Steve Hewitt said his job Monday would be to get city government working again. He said he needed to find employees, get purchase orders out, pay employees and bills — in short, create commerce again in Greensburg.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Seeing as its an agricultural economy I think the residents will rebuild with no problems, I mean after all the ground wasn't distroyed.

One thing I have learned about the folks in KS is they are very resilliant and bounce back after this type of disaster. They dont demand handouts and wait for others to pickup after them...

It is because it is a farming community that it may never be rebuilt. The Midwest is littered with abandoned and dying farming towns as a result of the mechanization and corporatization of farming and the slow death of the family farm.

I live in a town that died because the post office burnt down. That was the last straw. The economy that once provided jobs to 1000 workers is gone, the town center will never be rebuilt.

I lived in a town in WA state that suffered the same fate 80 years earlier.

Trigg
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
With only 1500 People in the town before the storm it will be hard to rebuild. With jobs so scarce and the hosp. and school now gone it's doubtfull.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 12:35 PM
In one year, maybe a bit longer, I say these folks will have their town rebuilt and never blame Bush. Takers?

Nobody blames Bush for the hurricane that hit New Orleans. They blame him for the botched response. If he gets called on to respond to this disaster and he botches it, I bet they'll blame him for that too. :duh:

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Nobody blames Bush for the hurricane that hit New Orleans. They blame him for the botched response. If he gets called on to respond to this disaster and he botches it, I bet they'll blame him for that too. :duh:

It's not the Federal Government's responsibility, it's the state's. The Governor needs to ask the Federal government for help otherwise the Feds have no business going in. The blame for slow fed responce rests solely on the shoulders of Gov. Blanco., the rest is lies and bullshit.

Hey Hagbard, I have thought for sometime that your avatar reminded me of something but couldn't quite place it........found it.......:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: same squinting eyes and sucking lips, you must be very proud.....hahaha

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
It's not the Federal Government's responsibility, it's the state's. The Governor needs to ask the Federal government for help otherwise the Feds have no business going in. The blame for slow fed responce rests solely on the shoulders of Gov. Blanco., the rest is lies and bullshit.

Hey Hagbard, I have thought for sometime that your avatar reminded me of something but couldn't quite place it........found it.......:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Thanks for the personal attack. Back to the issue at hand, stop pretending--nobody disputes that the Bush administration's response to Katrina was a joke. Hell, we all watched it unfold on tv! You're being dishonest if you lie otherwise.

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the personal attack. Back to the issue at hand, stop pretending--nobody disputes that the Bush administration's response to Katrina was a joke. Hell, we all watched it unfold on tv! You're being dishonest if you lie otherwise.

You take yourself way too seriously little boy, grow some humor sense......personal attack....what a joke. I noticed you changed avatars, was the photo I posted too real for ya?

The response of the state was a joke, the lack of action from the idiots that stayed was a joke, and now 2 years later the same whiners that had to be rescued by the Federal government are still sitting on their asses in Houston, raising the crime rate throughout the area and waiting like they did in the superdome for someone else to pay their way through their miserable lives.

They just won some more free cash through August. They have already started another campaign bitching about how bad they have it and how they deserve more money to live after the August deadline.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 01:37 PM
You take yourself way too seriously little boy, grow some humor sense......personal attack....what a joke. I noticed you changed avatars, was the photo I posted too real for ya?

The response of the state was a joke, the lack of action from the idiots that stayed was a joke, and now 2 years later the same whiners that had to be rescued by the Federal government are still sitting on their asses in Houston, raising the crime rate throughout the area and waiting like they did in the superdome for someone else to pay their way through their miserable lives.

They just won some more free cash through August. They have already started another campaign bitching about how bad they have it and how they deserve more money to live after the August deadline.

Nope, you ruined it for everyone. From now on nobody will be allowed to ogle my manly physique and it's all your fault. I just hope the women on the board will forgive you. Shame.

darin
05-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Dude - You are SO disingenuous.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Dude - You are SO disingenuous.

Brah - don't even get me started. :cheers2: I don't feel good today. I've got gas or something.

darin
05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Brah - don't even get me started. :cheers2: I don't feel good today. I've got gas or something.

The problem is - you absolutely got it WRONG about Katrina - I thought EVERYONE was passed the whole "The Bush Administration" failed in the wake of Katrina thing. Seriously, do you REALLY believe what you wrote? If so...wow. It stuns me a bit.

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Nope, you ruined it for everyone. From now on nobody will be allowed to ogle my manly physique and it's all your fault. I just hope the women on the board will forgive you. Shame.

So, the picture I posted did cause you to replace your avatar, that IS funny. I'm sure that any gay blades checking out the board want to kill me for doing that but any real women......upset....doubt it.:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Like dmp said, the citizens of Greensburg are overwhelmingly caucasian and therefore are used to doing for themselves rather than demanding the Federal government rescue them. I agree with the P man also so I won't be taking the bet.:salute:

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 02:07 PM
So, the picture I posted did cause you to replace your avatar, that IS funny. I'm sure that any gay blades checking out the board want to kill me for doing that but any real women......upset....doubt it.:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Like dmp said, the citizens of Greensburg are overwhelmingly caucasian and therefore are used to doing for themselves rather than demanding the Federal government rescue them. I agree with the P man also so I won't be taking the bet.:salute:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here too and bet that the cops aren't wandering through the town looting.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
The problem is - you absolutely got it WRONG about Katrina - I thought EVERYONE was passed the whole "The Bush Administration" failed in the wake of Katrina thing.

Well Bush admitted that his admin fucked it up.

And he fired Brownie.

And the FEMA response was a friggin joke. I mean it was a national embarrasment. Disgraceful.

Trent Lott lost his fucking porch and all you can do is defend the admin?

Talk about putting politics above the good of the nation!

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM

And he fired Brownie.

And the FEMA response was a friggin joke. I mean it was a national embarrasment. Disgraceful.

Thanks Loose.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 02:21 PM
why have they not started rebuilding?....or are we still in the assigning blame stage.....

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
why have they not started rebuilding?....or are we still in the assigning blame stage.....

People who have been to NO recently tell me that about 30% of the city is basically condemned.

Very little clean up has even occured.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 02:34 PM
People who have been to NO recently tell me that about 30% of the city is basically condemned.

Very little clean up has even occured.

and they are waiting for what?

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM

And he fired Brownie.

We were all here loose, we all saw how the media distorted everything about Katrina and the involvement of the Federal government. What the President was no doubt talking about was how they should have told that ass Blanco(talk about politics over helping save lives) to pound sand and gone in without the states permission. She was the one that refused to allow the Red Cross and FEMA to go to the Superdome and convention center with food and water. She was the one that was in charge of her state and the work that should have been done to the levees. She is the one that should have forced that idiot Mayor Chocolate to get his citizens out of the path of what was at the time a Category 5 Hurricane. He was the one that allowed an empty train to leave the city and didn't utilize over 300 school buses along with all of the city buses to take those without means to leave.

Of course if the Feds would have gone in, all of you same dimwits would be playing the "Impeach the President" song for overstepping the Federal government's constitutional authority pertaining to the states.

Trent Lott lost his entire house in Mississippi, I don't remember any complaints coming from Mississippi.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM
We were all here loose, we all saw how the media distorted everything about Katrina and the involvement of the Federal government. What the President was no doubt talking about was how they should have told that ass Blanco(talk about politics over helping save lives) to pound sand and gone in without the states permission. She was the one that refused to allow the Red Cross and FEMA to go to the Superdome and convention center with food and water. She was the one that was in charge of her state and the work that should have been done to the levees. She is the one that should have forced that idiot Mayor Chocolate to get his citizens out of the path of what was at the time a Category 5 Hurricane. He was the one that allowed an empty train to leave the city and didn't utilize over 300 school buses along with all of the city buses to take those without means to leave.

Of course if the Feds would have gone in, all of you same dimwits would be playing the "Impeach the President" song for overstepping the Federal government's constitutional authority pertaining to the states.

Trent Lott lost his entire house in Mississippi, I don't remember any complaints coming from Mississippi.

I disagree. If we're going to play the hypothetical situation game I'd say that I would have genuinely applauded the president for swooping in and saving people from disaster. But he didn't. So back here in the real world I'm still going to hold the job he bungled against him.

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
and they are waiting for what?

You would think that all of these great citizens that have been living off of the American people for the last 2 years would have contacted Al Sharpton and his bullhorn to help them go back to New Orleans and demand that they be given the training and tools to rebuild their old neighborhoods with the stipulation that their labor would go towards the purchase of a place to live.

Oh wait, that would mean learning, work and getting off the porch and putting the "40" down........never mind, stupid idea.

Sitarro
05-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I disagree. If we're going to play the hypothetical situation game I'd say that I would have genuinely applauded the president for swooping in and saving people from disaster. But he didn't. So back here in the real world I'm still going to hold the job he bungled against him.

Your comprehension level is obviously lower than the monkey that looks like you, I'm done trying to commiunicate with you, you're just not bright enough to read a single post and understand it, you just latch on to one thought in the entire post, want a banana?

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
The problem is - you absolutely got it WRONG about Katrina - I thought EVERYONE was passed the whole "The Bush Administration" failed in the wake of Katrina thing. Seriously, do you REALLY believe what you wrote? If so...wow. It stuns me a bit.

riiiiiiight, good ol' bush has done a bang up job rebuilding the ninth ward... and what ever happened to that dialogue we were going to open about race relations?

sayyyyy.... speaking of botched jobs... Are all those FEMA trailers still sitting in Arkansas?

darin
05-07-2007, 03:02 PM

Twood have been the first impeachable offense of his Presidency - to violate Federal Law.

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here too and bet that the cops aren't wandering through the town looting.

Then you'd be wrong...

4 Kan. soldiers, reserve cop arrested
By STEVE BRISENDINE
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Kansas_Tornadoes_Looting.html?source=mypi)

GREENSBURG, Kan. -- Four soldiers and a reserve police officer were arrested Sunday on suspicion of looting cigarettes and alcohol from a store in this tornado-ravaged town, state officials said.

...snip

Sharon Watson, a spokeswoman for the adjutant general's office, said the five were arrested at a Dillon's supermarket and were being held at the Pratt County Jail without bond. They have not yet been charged.

Watson said there were in uniform so police allowed them to come and go freely despite a town curfew. Watson said the officer was from a central Kansas community, but she was not sure which town.

In a separate incident, two people wearing Red Cross jackets who were not members of the relief agency were arrested Sunday on suspicion of looting, Watson said, although she did not have any additional details.

...snip.

IMO, all of them should be given maximum sentences.

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 03:05 PM

they haven't even finished the clean up, yet... it's a travesty...

TheStripey1
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Why would bush be at fault? What is it with you conspiracy nuts anyway? The sun doesn't rise and set because of bush... nor do tornadoes tear ass up and down the midwest in May all because of him, either...

whyyyyyy that's plum ludicrous, P... plum ludicrous...

A year to rebuild? It'll take a sight longer than a year to replace all those trees... I'm sure they'll be able to replace their dwellings with FEMA trailers, but I tend to agree with loose on the town's economy... no schools... no hospital... no city hall... no small businesses...

bleak...

I wish them luck... cuz they're going to need it...

sayyyyyyyyyy, what about tornado insurance? Do you think those people had it? Or is tornado insurance on a par with hurricane insurance on the right coast and earthquake insurance on the left... available only to those that can afford to pay the sky high premiums...

manu1959
05-07-2007, 03:37 PM
they haven't even finished the clean up, yet... it's a travesty...

and they are waiting to clean up.............

typomaniac
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Hey Hagbard, I have thought for sometime that your avatar reminded me of something but couldn't quite place it........found it.......:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: same squinting eyes and sucking lips, you must be very proud.....hahahaAs usual, you're full of shit. If it were the states' responsibility to respond to all disasters, there would be no FEMA. You're just looking for an excuse to denigrate those "n!ggrz."

By the way, I found an avatar for you, too:

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
As usual, you're full of shit. If it were the states' responsibility to respond to all disasters, there would be no FEMA. You're just looking for an excuse to denigrate those "n!ggrz."

LOL.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
As usual, you're full of shit. If it were the states' responsibility to respond to all disasters, there would be no FEMA. You're just looking for an excuse to denigrate those "n!ggrz."

why are the other states cleaned up and rebuiliding .... what is NO waiting on?

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Then you'd be wrong...

IMO, all of them should be given maximum sentences.

4 Kan. soldiers, reserve cop arrested

Really had to stretch it there, didn't ya ? :lol:

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM

They check!

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
They check!

what did they check? NO should check there too....

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
what did they check? NO should check there too....

No! They waitin' on THEY CHECK!

manu1959
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
No! They waitin' on THEY CHECK!

ah...day be watin on day check..... got it....

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM

I suspect they have been waiting for two things: the old landowners to lose interest in their property or die.

For some kind of resolve to the question of whether or not the Army Corp of engineers is gonna flood NO again or get it together to safegard the city.

Unless they get a def answer from the fed gummit most of that land will be turned into parks and golf courses.

They can rebuild but they can't insure and the city won't take the responsibility for another flood. Who would? So they leave the land and broken down homes in limbo.

The land has been condemned since the flood and nobody has the balls to say "sorry folks" but you are shit outta luck.

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
ah...day be watin on day check..... got it....

Thousands of dese folks has got day checks-----several of dem---and guess what? Day ain't gwanna use dem to build no house.

05-07-2007, 06:53 PM

There shouldnt be a FEMA. The constitution doesnt provide jurisdiction for it.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:53 PM
kinda like the oakland hills after the fire...some rebuilt...some walked....there are still vacant lots up there with burned out concrete foundations sitting there....

05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
They check!

If they are waiting on the check why were their recent news reports that theyve already used up the money?

more importantly, why shouldnt the private market, rather than the federal government be pushing reconstruction? it would be much more efficient.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
If they are waiting on the check why were their recent news reports that theyve already used up the money?

more importantly, why shouldnt the private market, rather than the federal government be pushing reconstruction? it would be much more efficient.

day waitin on day second check....yous means we be only getting one check?

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 07:04 PM
day waitin on day second check....yous means we be only getting one check?

You be right---De Red Cross has dis here Hurricane recovery Program---peeps gots appts made til May of next year to try to git 10 K more !!!!