PDA

View Full Version : Ron Reagan: Palin has nothing in common with my dad

gabosaurus
02-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Pretty much the entire Reagan family doesn't care for Palin.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110204/ap_on_re_us/us_reagan_palin

DragonStryk72
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM

"Sarah Palin is a soap opera, basically. She's doing mostly what she does to make money and keep her name in the news," Reagan says.

"She is not a serious candidate for president and never has been," said Reagan, a political independent whose politics lean left.

Hm, how many people do you think pointed out that Reagan was an actor, and thus not to be taken seriously as a candidate? Huh, apparently they do have something in common.

Also, your OP makes no sense, because unlike Obama, Palin isn't claiming to be like Reagan. So, seriously, wtf?

red states rule
02-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Seems to me it is just the liberal kid of Ronald Regan who is sprewing his venom to the delight of the left

BTW Gabby how old were you (or were you even born) when Ronald Reagan took office on 1/20/81?

Seems you knowledge of Ronald Regan has been provided by the liberals in your life thus you have no clue how things were when he took office or how good things were when he left office

Thunderknuckles
02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Seems to me it is just the liberal kid of Ronald Regan who is sprewing his venom to the delight of the left

BTW Gabby how old were you (or were you even born) when Ronald Reagan took office on 1/20/81?

Seems you knowledge of Ronald Regan has been provided by the liberals in your life thus you have no clue how things were when he took office or how good things were when he left office
Little Ronny has always seemed like he is pissed he was sired by a great American.

Gaffer
02-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Gee, ron reagan, the liberal queer ballet dancer who didn't speak to his father for most of his adult life is now condemning his father for the entertainment of the liberal media. How surprising. How does that equate to most of the Reagan family?

red states rule
02-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Gee, ron reagan, the liberal queer ballet dancer who didn't speak to his father for most of his adult life is now condemning his father for the entertainment of the liberal media. How surprising. How does that equate to most of the Reagan family?

If the Reagan's were black Ron is what would be called the white sheep of the family

SassyLady
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Ron Reagan had less in common with President Reagan than Palin ... so his statement is completely bogus.

I sometimes think that his mother was having an affair ... because I've never seen anything in Ron Jr that reflected anything of his father.

red states rule
02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Ron Reagan had less in common with President Reagan than Palin ... so his statement is completely bogus.

I sometimes think that his mother was having an affair ... because I've never seen anything in Ron Jr that reflected anything of his father.

Or Ron was adopted

Or left on the doorstep by the Carter family. After all Ronald Reagan put Jimmy out of a job and perhaps they had to reduce expenses :laugh2:

Little-Acorn
02-06-2011, 04:36 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz020311dAPR20110203044537.jpg

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Man, some of you evil people just go too far. Ron is clearly the son of Ronald Reagan and readily admits that they had political differences but really not so much. The differences never interfered with their ability of critical thinking and conversation. Now, Mike Reagan on the other hand, is definitely not a genuine Reagan and it shows in every way. I guess that's why he tends to anger up every time the man that raised him as a son's name or Ron's name is brought up. Sibling rivalry? I don't know.

Jut who the hell cares about ANYTHING the Grifterella Palin has to say about ANYTHING? Each day the right puts her forward as their spokesperson is another day longer that the original nightmare affects perception of the rightwingers. As a lefty, I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!

Psychoblues

texastom
02-06-2011, 06:45 PM
By watching the media, it's clear the left is more obsessed with what she has to say than anybody.

I listened to Ron give an interview the other day and I respected what he had to say. I don't care for him, but he was very eloquent and very clear in the interview that his father was a great man although they didn't agree on many things, he really didn't blame his father as he realized they are from different times.

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 07:12 PM
By watching the media, it's clear the left is more obsessed with what she has to say than anybody.

I listened to Ron give an interview the other day and I respected what he had to say. I don't care for him, but he was very eloquent and very clear in the interview that his father was a great man although they didn't agree on many things, he really didn't blame his father as he realized they are from different times.

I think you're exactly correct on lefty obsession, tommy. But seriously, the woman is a freaking clown with her personal ambitions of fame, glory, political respect, financial enrichment, etc. dripping down her legs. Whatever it is, I like it for some odd and inexplicable reason!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

texastom
02-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I think you're exactly correct on lefty obsession, tommy. But seriously, the woman is a freaking clown with her personal ambitions of fame, glory, political respect, financial enrichment, etc. dripping down her legs. Whatever it is, I like it for some odd and inexplicable reason!!!!!!!

Psychoblues Perhaps, but I would contend she's no different from many on both sides of the isle with similar ambitions. She just happens to be more attractive than most female politicians.

I don't believe people run any more for love of country. There might be one or two here or there, but the majority of politicians are in it for the fame, the glory, financial enrichment, etc. That's just a fact of politics in the world. Always has been too if you really think about it. People might not want to admit that though... since doing so will ruin the hero worship of many.

I would contend that Reagan is the last Republican (and politician in general) that ran for love of country. The last democrat was probably Truman (I think Carter may have, but his policies were so screwed up, I can't give him much credit).

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Perhaps, but I would contend she's no different from many on both sides of the isle with similar ambitions. She just happens to be more attractive than most female politicians.

I don't believe people run any more for love of country. There might be one or two here or there, but the majority of politicians are in it for the fame, the glory, financial enrichment, etc. That's just a fact of politics in the world. Always has been too if you really think about it. People might not want to admit that though... since doing so will ruin the hero worship of many.

I would contend that Reagan is the last Republican (and politician in general) that ran for love of country. The last democrat was probably Truman (I think Carter may have, but his policies were so screwed up, I can't give him much credit).

I have never seen anything like Grifterella in my lifetime. That aside, I loved President Ronald Reagan for many reasons despite what is now being revealed about the myths of the man and the President. He began the process of making America feel better about itself post Viet Nam. That was his most significant contribution to America as I see it. I also loved President George H.W. Bush. as he knew how to salvage our commitments to our allies in the middle east, end a horrible albeit necessary war and do it with class. As the troops came home to the equivalent of ticker tape parades and such President Bush made for certain that the old forgotten Viet Nam vets were particularly invited in for the recognition (such as it could be) and the celebrations.

Right now President Bill Clinton just barely beats out John Kennedy for most popular president and both of them are 1 and 2 above Ronald Reagan. But really, I don't care about any of that. I can only be concerned about my own considerations of these Presidents and what they meant to me. The jury is still not even being thought about for President Barack Hussein Obama. I think you ad I agree on a lot of things, tom.

Psychoblues

texastom
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I have never seen anything like Grifterella in my lifetime.

I think we see them every day. A good comparison, in many ways, but a male version of Ms. Palin would be Terry McAuliffe.

That aside, I loved President Ronald Reagan for many reasons despite what is now being revealed about the myths of the man and the President.Myths and lies are often difficult to discern. I can only judge him and other public figures based on what I see publicly and publicly, he was a great man.

He began the process of making America feel better about itself post Viet Nam. That was his most significant contribution to America as I see it.

I agree. I was in the Army during his second term and he did a lot for the military. I would say his biggest contribution was his ability make us proud of our country. His next biggest contribution was that he showed us (the military) respect by increasing our pay to reasonable levels and also by giving us the money and tools necessary for us to properly train and prepare for war (which eventually came in the ME). During Gulf War I, we were so well trained that we executed our mission, for the most part, like a well oiled machine.

I also loved President George H.W. Bush. as he knew how to salvage our commitments to our allies in the middle east, end a horrible albeit necessary war and do it with class.

I respect GHWB, but I can't say I love him. There are many things he did that I believe eventually had a detrimental affect on our country. His biggest mistake, in my opinion, was not finishing the first Gulf War. I was there and I still have my diary in which I wrote on 28 February, after we were informed the war was over, "we have not finished the job. We'll be back in ten years". Well, it wasn't ten years, it was 12, but I was close.

As the troops came home to the equivalent of ticker tape parades and such President Bush made for certain that the old forgotten Viet Nam vets were particularly invited in for the recognition (such as it could be) and the celebrations.

Yes, I was blessed enough to participate, as part of the 24th Infantry Division, in the marches in both NYC and Washington DC. I will never forget the events nor the Vietnam vets that so many of us spent time with at the Vietnam Memorial. They accepted us (I was infantry) as brothers that had experienced war, but I know that what we experienced was nothing compared to what they and the soldiers of our most recent wars have experienced. I was humbled just to be in their presence.

Right now President Bill Clinton just barely beats out John Kennedy for most popular president and both of them are 1 and 2 above Ronald Reagan.

Kennedy is over-rated because he was assassinated. Cold hard fact that some will never accept. He was a decent president that MIGHT have been great, but we'll never know.

Clinton is ranked as a good president because he benefited from an economic situation that was the result of policies that Reagan had implemented. I made a LOT of money in the 90's, but I now realize that the old saying many of us have about that time is true.... "if you could't make money in the 90's, you couldn't make money ever". Due to the the explosion in technology, it drove an economic boom that like the world hadn't seen in over 100 years. The last economic boom in America that could be compared to the 90's was probably the boom experienced during the railroad expansion of the late 1800's. That kind of economic prosperity is very rare and he benefited from timing more than anything else. I would even go as far as to say that his laissez-faire policy toward the markets was very detrimental in the long run. I also despise how he and the left have cozied up with an egoist like George Soros who has hurt more people in the world through his economic manipulation of global markets than anybody.

As far as Reagan being behind Kennedy and Clinton... well, I would venture a guess a lot of it depends on who took the poll. I would also point out that the true rankings of a president's success or failure will never be sincerely examined until after anybody that was alive during their term is dead and gone. Too many historians and academia alive today will never get over their biases to give him a fair evaluation.

But really, I don't care about any of that. I can only be concerned about my own considerations of these Presidents and what they meant to me.

Agreed and I feel the same.

The jury is still not even being thought about for President Barack Hussein Obama.

With him, only time will tell. I don't care for his policies so far, but the bulk of the blame cannot be laid at his feet - yet. It lies at the feet of the arrogance of Nancy Pelosi and those like her that pushed on the American people policies they did not want and did so while basically telling us we're too stupid to understand. That kind of arrogance I'll never accept from any politician. Left, right or center.

I think you and I agree on a lot of things, tom.

Psychoblues

I would venture a guess that we do. I am a fiscal conservative and a social libertarian. But being a social libertarian doesn't mean I agree with all the choices people make nor does it agree I have to keep my mouth shut about my disdain or even disgust about some of the choices. But as a believer in "free will", all I can do is try to live a life that is honorable and that glorifies my God.

Admittedly, I struggle in living a life that honors Him, but it is my goal and I am making progress.

Regards,

krisy
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I've never cared for Ron '"jr". I have always felt he has behaved like a rebellious teen who has something to prove. It has nothing to do with him leaning left,just his condescending smart ass attitude. "look at me,I'm Reagan's son and I am a lefty".....who cares Ron.

fj1200
02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Right now President Bill Clinton just barely beats out John Kennedy for most popular president and both of them are 1 and 2 above Ronald Reagan.

What poll are you looking at?

An ABC News poll about presidential greatness, taken 16–20 February 2000, asked 1,012 adults in the US, "Who do you think was the greatest American president?"[17]

1. Abraham Lincoln (19%)
2. John F. Kennedy (17%)
3. Franklin Roosevelt (11%)
4. No opinion (10%)
5. Ronald Reagan (9%)
6. George Washington (8%)
7. Bill Clinton (7%)

A Washington College poll about presidential greatness, taken February 11, 2005, asked 800 adults in the US, "Thinking about all the presidents of the United States throughout history to the present, who would you say was America's greatest president?"[18]

1. Abraham Lincoln (20%)
2. Ronald Reagan (15%)
3. Franklin D. Roosevelt (12%)
4. John F. Kennedy (11%)
5. Bill Clinton (10%)

A Gallup poll about presidential greatness, taken February 9–11, 2007, asked 1006 adults in the US, "Who do you regard as the greatest United States president?"[17]

1. Abraham Lincoln (18%)
2. Ronald Reagan (16%)
3. John F. Kennedy (14%)
4. Bill Clinton (13%)

A Rasmussen Reports poll taken June 13–24 of 2007 asked 1,000 randomly selected adults to rate America's presidents. Six presidents—George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and John F. Kennedy—were rated favorably by at least 80% of respondents.

1. George Washington (94% favorable, 2% unfavorable)
2. Abraham Lincoln (92% favorable, 4% unfavorable)
3. Thomas Jefferson (89% favorable, 4% unfavorable)
4. Theodore Roosevelt (84% favorable, 8% unfavorable)
5. Franklin D. Roosevelt (81% favorable, 12% unfavorable)
6. John F. Kennedy (80% favorable, 13% unfavorable)
7. John Adams (74% favorable, 9% unfavorable)
8. James Madison (73% favorable, 8% unfavorable)
9. Ronald Reagan (72% favorable, 22% unfavorable)
10. Dwight D. Eisenhower (72% favorable, 15% unfavorable)
11. Harry S. Truman (70% favorable, 14% unfavorable)
12. Andrew Jackson (69% favorable, 14% unfavorable)
13. Gerald Ford (62% favorable, 26% unfavorable)
14. John Quincy Adams (59% favorable, 7% unfavorable)
15. Ulysses S. Grant (58% favorable, 24% unfavorable)
16. George H.W. Bush (57% favorable, 41% unfavorable)
17. Jimmy Carter (57% favorable, 34% unfavorable)
18. William Taft (57% favorable, 15% unfavorable)
19. Woodrow Wilson (56% favorable, 19% unfavorable)
20. Bill Clinton (55% favorable, 41% unfavorable)

All compiled here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_St ates).

???

darin
02-07-2011, 07:11 AM
why do you guys BOTHER going line by line to help PB understand where he's either wrong, lying, or just making stuff up? It's like feeding a troll a little bit...There's no amount of truth you present that would do anything to help him. He's honestly beyond reason when talking politics.

Little-Acorn
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
It's like feeding a troll a little bit...

"A little bit"??? :laugh:

Psychoblues
02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I was looking the other day, before my unanticipated absence from the board, through various polls of US presidents and I was referring to one that listed JFK 1st, Clinton 2nd and Reagan 3rd. Because there were several and I can't remember exactly where I was at the time this is a similar one with only a slightly different conclusion and with which I would certainly never argue.

JFK, Reagan, Clinton Rated Top Modern Presidents

According to a new poll John F. Kennedy is still the favorite president of the last 50 years, while Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton are ranked second and third.

In a survey, performed by Gallup, 85 percent of those asked felt that Kennedy has performed well in office. This is about the same figures that Gallup discovered in 2006. Since 1990 Kennedy has consistently come in first place when it comes to the question of how he performed in office.

Ronald Reagan was ranked second with 74 percent approving of his performance. The tough times he weathered in both his terms paid off. Although his job approval rating dropped to about 40 percent during the 1982 recession and also during the Iran-Contra scandal these periods didn’t seem to stain public memory............................................ ...................................

Lots More: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/JFK-Reagan-Clinton-rated-top-modern-presidents-111589524.html

Psychoblues

I found it:

1. Reagan was one of our most popular presidents.

It's true that Reagan is popular more than two decades after leaving office. A CNN/Opinion Research poll last month gave him the third-highest approval rating among presidents of the past 50 years, behind John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton. But Reagan's average approval rating during the eight years that he was in office was nothing spectacular - 52.8 percent, according to Gallup. That places the 40th president not just behind Kennedy, Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower, but also Lyndon Johnson and George H.W. Bush, neither of whom are talked up as candidates for Mount Rushmore.

During his presidency, Reagan's popularity had high peaks - after the attempt on his life in 1981, for example - and huge valleys. In 1982, as the national unemployment rate spiked above 10 percent, Reagan's approval rating fell to 35 percent. At the height of the Iran-Contra scandal, nearly one-third of Americans wanted him to resign.

In the early 1990s, shortly after Reagan left office, several polls found even the much-maligned Jimmy Carter to be more popular. Only since Reagan's 1994 disclosure that he had Alzheimer's disease - along with lobbying efforts by conservatives, such as Grover Norquist's Ronald Reagan Legacy Project, which pushed to rename Washington's National Airport for the president - has his popularity steadily climbed.

Much, much more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020403104.html

This is part of the 5 myths about the legacy of Ronald Reagan article.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-08-2011, 05:51 AM
I found it:

1. Reagan was one of our most popular presidents.

It's true that Reagan is popular more than two decades after leaving office. A CNN/Opinion Research poll last month gave him the third-highest approval rating among presidents of the past 50 years, behind John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton. But Reagan's average approval rating during the eight years that he was in office was nothing spectacular - 52.8 percent, according to Gallup. That places the 40th president not just behind Kennedy, Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower, but also Lyndon Johnson and George H.W. Bush, neither of whom are talked up as candidates for Mount Rushmore.

During his presidency, Reagan's popularity had high peaks - after the attempt on his life in 1981, for example - and huge valleys. In 1982, as the national unemployment rate spiked above 10 percent, Reagan's approval rating fell to 35 percent. At the height of the Iran-Contra scandal, nearly one-third of Americans wanted him to resign.

In the early 1990s, shortly after Reagan left office, several polls found even the much-maligned Jimmy Carter to be more popular. Only since Reagan's 1994 disclosure that he had Alzheimer's disease - along with lobbying efforts by conservatives, such as Grover Norquist's Ronald Reagan Legacy Project, which pushed to rename Washington's National Airport for the president - has his popularity steadily climbed.

Much, much more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020403104.html

Psychoblues

Not that is shocking or anything, but let's take a look at the author of this OPINION piece:

Will Bunch is the author of "Tear Down This Myth: The Right-Wing Distortion of the Reagan Legacy." He is a senior writer for the Philadelphia Daily News and a senior fellow with Media Matters for America.

Now your last attempt to stand by your OP, after faced with all the poll results over time that fj1200 so thoughtfully provided, I'm referring to the bolded portion, provided in Bunch's article above, which has no citation. I found the poll results and those polled are very interesting:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/20/cnnopinion-research-poll-january-14-16-past-presidents/

Missing numbers all over in age groups, races, political leanings, filled in with N/A.

Go, look at the PDA yourself, the link is here: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/20/cnnopinion-research-poll-january-14-16-past-presidents/

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Not that is shocking or anything, but let's take a look at the author of this OPINION piece:

Now your last attempt to stand by your OP, after faced with all the poll results over time that fj1200 so thoughtfully provided, I'm referring to the bolded portion, provided in Bunch's article above, which has no citation. I found the poll results and those polled are very interesting:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/20/cnnopinion-research-poll-january-14-16-past-presidents/

Missing numbers all over in age groups, races, political leanings, filled in with N/A.

Go, look at the PDA yourself, the link is here: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/20/cnnopinion-research-poll-january-14-16-past-presidents/

I don't believe we're going to come up with the poll that solves all polls on this board or in our lifetimes, Kath. fj wanted to know what polls I was looking at and I feel like I politely provided some as best as I could. dmp, a moderator here of all things, just discounted me out of hand and called me a liar as well as other untrue and unfair remarks. And now you start shooting the messenger/s in this case. There are messengers in all the polls. Are we going to have a circle-jerk determining which has the largest genitalia?

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 08:37 AM

He sure had to spin some of those to keep his "myths" going. The Reagan legacy will far outlast this guy.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
He sure had to spin some of those to keep his "myths" going. The Reagan legacy will far outlast this guy.

I don't deny that a bit, fj. Grover Norquist and his ilk have certainly spent millions and millions to promote a positive legacy for Ronald Reagan. And I think I have done my fair share of promoting it as well.

Psychoblues