PDA

View Full Version : Reid Calls 1% Spending Cut Draconian and Unworkable

red states rule
02-05-2011, 01:28 PM
It is now clear to everyone Dems have no intention of cutting any spending and have no interest in reducing spending

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) blasted a House Republican proposal to cut $32 billion from 2011 spending levels as “draconian” and “unworkable.”

Reid promised to work hard to avert a government shutdown that he warned would inflict grave harm on the economy.

Reid told reporters Thursday that he is willing to negotiate with House Republicans over a bill to keep the government funded beyond March 4.

“We are happy to work with Republicans; we recognize that there has to be some long-term financial austerity,” Reid said.

“We’re not burying our heads in the sand; we recognize we need to do some things,” he added.

But he called a proposal by House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to cut this year’s federal budget by $32 billion “unworkable.”

“The chairman of the Budget Committee today, today sent us something even more draconian than we originally anticipated,” said Reid. “So this isn’t some game that people have been playing. The House of Representatives [is] actually sending us some of these unworkable plans.”

Republicans have threatened to block a continuing resolution to fund the government beyond early March, as well as legislation raising the national debt limit unless Democrats agree to significant spending cuts.

Reid warned that threatening a government shutdown or blocking an increase in the national debt limit would be playing “Russian roulette” with the economy.

Reid declined to rule out spending cuts in 2011 but said he wanted to first review a deficit-cutting proposal being negotiated by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.).

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/141985-reid-blasts-house-gop-proposal-as-draconian-and-unworkable

Gaffer
02-05-2011, 01:42 PM
He's lying, cause he's not happy to work with republicans.

Thunderknuckles
02-05-2011, 01:51 PM
32 billion is unworkable?!
Sure that article quoted him correctly? I would think he meant 320 billion.

red states rule
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
32 billion is unworkable?!
Sure that article quoted him correctly? I would think he meant 320 billion.

For as long as I have been following politics - ANY spending cut or reduction in growth was met with howls of protest from liberals

No matter what the program, if funding is even slightly reduced people will die, women, children, and minorities will suffer the most, lives will be ruined, and the chance will increase the Earth will be struck by a killer asteroid

country
02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Reid believes a spending freeze is a spending cut.

red states rule
02-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Reid believes a spending freeze is a spending cut.

Libs are so generous with other peoples money

Thunderknuckles
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I did some minor checking on some additional articles and it appears that the 32 billion number seems to be correct.
Since this is the case, Reid is clearly signalling that cutting even $1 is draconian and unworkable. This angers me to no end and I would love to know exactly how Reid plans on fixing a $1 trillion deficit if he is unwilling to cut spending by even a minor fraction unless he wants raise taxes to cover the deficit which is completely unreasonable. So where does that leave us?

Maybe the Egyptians are on to something here.

red states rule
02-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I did some minor checking on some additional articles and it appears that the 32 billion number seems to be correct.
Since this is the case, Reid is clearly signalling that cutting even $1 is draconian and unworkable. This angers me to no end and I would love to know exactly how Reid plans on fixing a $1 trillion deficit if he is unwilling to cut spending by even a minor fraction unless he wants raise taxes to cover the deficit which is completely unreasonable. So where does that leave us?

Why are you surprised by this?

Most of the libs I know actually beleive the governemnt does NOT have a spending problem. They think the probelm is taxes are to low, thus there is the reason we have a deficit

Polls are showing Senate Dems are in trouble and as we get closer to November 2012 we will see some "open minded" Dems flip and support spending and tax cuts

But not because they have changed their opinion - only to try and save their phoney baloney jobs

darin
02-06-2011, 08:42 PM
course they love hurting MY finances by supporting tax increases and freezing fed pay. :( Fuckers.

they are working to destroy any benefit for taking a lower salary to work for the Nation. If I didn't enjoy 'service' i'd be tempted to be gone.

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I've been involved in the racing business off and on for decades. Depending on the objectives my teams have been willing to expend more than the car as it now sit's worth to increase it's horsepower by even less than 1% in some cases. 1% of anything like the deficit, the debt, the budget, etc. is very significant and anyone that says that it is not simply has a partisan bone to pick with who knows who and expose their ignorance to anyone that knows better.

Psychoblues

Missileman
02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I've been involved in the racing business off and on for decades. Depending on the objectives my teams have been willing to expend more than the car as it now sit's worth to increase it's horsepower by even less than 1% in some cases. 1% of anything like the deficit, the debt, the budget, etc. is very significant and anyone that says that it is not simply has a partisan bone to pick with who knows who and expose their ignorance to anyone that knows better.

Psychoblues

Are you defending the Dems not wanting to cut spending by as little as 1%?

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Are you defending the Dems not wanting to cut spending by as little as 1%?

I think you miss the point, Mm.

Psychoblues

darin
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
PB is saying "when it comes to Democrats trying to placate their base by giving them free shit - free = paid for on the backs of the rest of the nation - cutting their paid-for-votes by 1% is too much."

Missileman
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I think you miss the point, Mm.

Psychoblues

No, as usual, you don't have one. The nation is facing it's biggest threat since the end of the cold war and it's not a hostile foreign military, it's our mounting debt. We are going to have to make tough spending choices that need to cut a lot deeper than a paltry 1%. Thanks goodness that the House can put the brakes on spending until we can cull the rest of those domestic enemies from our federal government in two years.

texastom
02-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I believe our mounting debt is being hoisted upon us purposely. And not just by the democrats. The mismanagement of our economy has been a bipartisan travesty.

We have to look no further than the Federal Reserve and the Wall Street elites to see from where it all emanates. While it may emanate from those locations, it is our politicians that have allowed it to perpetuate.

Kathianne
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Interests groups also get in the act:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/02/big-green-groups-tell-obama-tell-canada-drop-dead

By Mark Tapscott
Created Feb 5 2011 - 6:59pm
Big Green groups tell Obama to tell Canada to Drop Dead
Comments (5)

A coalition of 89 Big Green environmental groups is urging President Obama to reject Canada's efforts to secure U.S. approval for construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, which would bring millions of barrels of oil extracted from Canadian shale formations.

In their letter, the anti-oil groups based their case on these arguments:

You can read the full letter here on Politico. It's release was timed to coincide with Canadian Prime Minister Stephan Harper's meeting Friday with President Obama. The issue of the pipeline approvals was expected to be a major topic of discussion at that gathering.

The letter from the anti-pipeline coalition drew a sharp response from Thomas Pyle, president of the Institute for Energy Research, who accused the group of opposing the pipeline as part of their continuing efforts to force the costs of fossil fuel energy resources for American consumers higher:

“Canada is our nation’s number one trading partner. Tens of thousands of jobs in the U.S. have been created by development of our ally and neighbor Canada's oil sands.

"As our greatest supplier of petroleum products, we rely every day on the affordable, reliable energy that flows from the north to fuel our cars, heat our homes, and keep our economy running.

"While the Obama Administration refuses to issue permits here in the United States to develop our vast energy resources, relying on Canada for oil imports prevents our further dependence on more hostile foreign nations where civil unrest and dictatorships are more likely to disrupt production.

“Unfortunately, anti-energy groups here in the U.S. are treating Canada as if they are one of those hostile foreign nations. In their letter to President Obama, they urged him to prevent the Keystone XL Pipeline project from being built...

Thunderknuckles
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Psychoblues
We can talk about percentages all day long but the simple fact is this:
The federal Govt., like we in California, have an enormous deficit. Realistically, we can only get out of it by permanent spending cuts and temporary tax increases. I'll take the hit and take a temporary tax increase but if you cannot give me a permanent spending decrease then we are screwed.

Time to stop with the politics my friends. These are the choices we are faced with. The Government needs to trim spending permanently and we tax payers are gonna have to pony up a few more dollars for a time OR we can follow the party lines all the way to bankruptcy.

red states rule
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Psychoblues

I hope this helps PB. You need some serious treatment son

Signs of Compulsive Liars

There are tell tale signs of compulsive liars. Often the compulsive liar suffers from low self-esteem. He may not possess attributes or accomplishments to boast of. He may have come from a disturbed or broken family. He would lie to portray an impressive image of himself. He is afraid to face the truth.

The compulsive liar is never nervous. He lies with immense poise and self-confidence. His stories are inconsistent because he does not remember which story they told which person. He will make up stories to cover his lies. He likes to be the center of attention. He will lie in order that people notice him.

A compulsive liar may not even be aware that he is lying or will deny that he is lying. If he is lying to manipulate people he is probably not a compulsive liar. Compulsive liars cannot selectively lie. He has to keep on lying to protect the last lie. He has no remorse over his past lies. It is very easy for him to lie unlike normal people who find it difficult. He will even lie when the truth could benefit him more.

In case of a compulsive liar you could find evidence that he is lying which is easy because he always lies. If you know someone who tells you that he is a perpetual liar then the chances are high that he is a compulsive liar. A compulsive liar can lie smoothly looking at you straight in the eye. You can look at his body language for signs of lying. If he has crossed his arms he might be hiding certain facts from you. If he is blinking frequently then chances are high he is lying. Another sign is he will never admit the truth even when faced with concrete evidence.

The consequence of compulsive lying is that no one trusts him anymore. It could have far reaching consequences on his job, relationships and friends. It is a vicious cycle, which can alienate the very people who are dear to him.

The cure for this condition is that the person affected should take the initiative. He has to meet a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will prescribe the needed medication. The psychologist will analyze why this behavior is happening. Hypnosis is a possible solution to this problem. Fortunately this is a treatable condition.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/signs-of-compulsive-lying.html

We can talk about percentages all day long but the simple fact is this:
The federal Govt., like we in California, have an enormous deficit. Realistically, we can only get out of it by permanent spending cuts and temporary tax increases. I'll take the hit and take a temporary tax increase but if you cannot give me a permanent spending decrease then we are screwed.

Time to stop with the politics my friends. These are the choices we are faced with. The Government needs to trim spending permanently and we tax payers are gonna have to pony up a few more dollars for a time OR we can follow the party lines all the way to bankruptcy.

and despite the budget problems of CA the voters still elected the usual tax and spend liberals that got them in their current situation

Government is taking a massive percentage of the wealth in this country and pissing it away. Paying people not to work, rewarding failure, taking care of illegals - all the while punishing achievement and attacking those who pay a huge majority of taxes collected

There is no reason for the producers to pay one additional penny in taxes. Government will have to learn - or be forced - to learn it must leave withing its means

And that includes kicking many off the gravy train

Thunderknuckles
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I hope this helps PB. You need some serious treatment son

and despite the budget problems of CA the voters still elected the usual tax and spend liberals that got them in their current situation

Government is taking a massive percentage of the wealth in this country and pissing it away. Paying people not to work, rewarding failure, taking care of illegals - all the while punishing achievement and attacking those who pay a huge majority of taxes collected

There is no reason for the producers to pay one additional penny in taxes. Government will have to learn - or be forced - to learn it must leave withing its means

And that includes kicking many off the gravy train
I agree with you all the way RSR, but again, I'm talking about reality.
If the country was ruled 100% by fiscal conservatives, then you would get your way but it's not. Republicans are going to have to make some concessions to the Democrats in order to cut spending and that will likely mean a tax increase somewhere.

PostmodernProphet
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree that 1% is unworkable.....we need at least a 5% cut.....

Psychoblues
02-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Tk, it isn't the $32b that Senator Reid is concerned about. He knows we have to do that and about 99 times that to bring us into any semblance of financial order. He thinks the proposal by Rep. Paul Ryan is unworkable because he thinks it mocks the very process by which it purports to improve. Senator Reid did re-approach Rep. Ryan and asked him to put forth a more workable and comprehensive proposal and that he, Sen. Reid, would work with him. I agree with Senator Reid.

Psychoblues

Thunderknuckles
02-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Tk, it isn't the $32b that Senator Reid is concerned about. He knows we have to do that and about 99 times that to bring us into any semblance of financial order. He thinks the proposal by Rep. Paul Ryan is unworkable because he thinks it mocks the very process by which it purports to improve. Senator Reid did re-approach Rep. Ryan and asked him to put forth a more workable and comprehensive proposal and that he, Sen. Reid, would work with him. I agree with Senator Reid.

Psychoblues
I'm really curious about this, so if you got a link I'll be happy to "reid" it.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm really curious about this, so if you got a link I'll be happy to "reid" it.

Actually, Tk, this is sufficiently covered in the article linked in the OP for me. But I can see where some might become confused with it.

Psychoblues

Thunderknuckles
02-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Actually, Tk, this is sufficiently covered in the article linked in the OP for me. But I can see where some might become confused with it.

Psychoblues
Call me confused because I don't see it. House Republican budget committee offers proposal to cut spending by a paltry 32 billion and he says it's unworkable. Pretty straight forward. He offers some platitudes on knowing we have to do something but doesn't say what. Other than that, he won't say anything else until has a chance to review the Senate budget committee proposal. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what he deems acceptable after his buddies in the Senate mash together something. I can't wait to see what level of spending cuts they will offer and what Harry has to say about it.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Call me confused because I don't see it. House Republican budget committee offers proposal to cut spending by a paltry 32 billion and he says it's unworkable. Pretty straight forward. He offers some platitudes on knowing we have to do something but doesn't say what. Other than that, he won't say anything else until has a chance to review the Senate budget committee proposal. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what he deems acceptable after his buddies in the Senate mash together something. I can't wait to see what level of spending cuts they will offer and what Harry has to say about it.

One thing is for certain. They, as in pubs and dems, are gonna have to get it together. So far the pubs have been running around wasting a lot of time and government money throwing bills from one desk to another that will never pass the Senate and certainly never get a Presidential signature so they need to get to work as best they can on the tasks they can achieve.

I still say the answer is there if you look for it. Sen. Reid eagerly awaits both the reports forthcoming and a workable proposal from Rep. Ryan and is willing to do whatever he or his office can do to achieve that purpose.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
One thing is for certain. They, as in pubs and dems, are gonna have to get it together. So far the pubs have been running around wasting a lot of time and government money throwing bills from one desk to another that will never pass the Senate and certainly never get a Presidential signature so they need to get to work as best they can on the tasks they can achieve.

I still say the answer is there if you look for it. Sen. Reid eagerly awaits both the reports forthcoming and a workable proposal from Rep. Ryan and is willing to do whatever he or his office can do to achieve that purpose.

Psychoblues

The House was elected to pass stuff so it seems that they are doing their job. Nevertheless Reid has zero credibility so the House should go ahead and pass what it will pass and they can work it out later.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
The House was elected to pass stuff so it seems that they are doing their job. Nevertheless Reid has zero credibility so the House should go ahead and pass what it will pass and they can work it out later.

I don't think you understand what the jobs of congress, congresspersons and congressional committees are all about, fj. They aren't what you think, it appears.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't think you understand what the jobs of congress, congresspersons and congressional committees are all about, fj. They aren't what you think, it appears.

Psychoblues

I'm pretty sure I do. Why don't you go brush up on such topics as checks, balances, the budget process, where spending bills originate... and get back to us.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I do. Why don't you go brush up on such topics as checks, balances, the budget process, where spending bills originate... and get back to us.

At what point does the business of the respective districts and the collective business of the nation come in? The party of "No" remaining the party of nothing more than disruption and dereliction is doing their constituencies and their country no good whatsoever.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
At what point does the business of the respective districts and the collective business of the nation come in? The party of "No" remaining the party of nothing more than disruption and dereliction is doing their constituencies and their country no good whatsoever.

Sounds to me like Reid is the guy of "No" here. Ryan's credibility far outweighs Reid given he's the one making proposals and getting on with the collective business of the nation.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Sounds to me like Reid is the guy of "No" here. Ryan's credibility far outweighs Reid given he's the one making proposals and getting on with the collective business of the nation.

Let's just say that I don't share that opinion.

Psychoblues

NightTrain
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Let's just say that I don't share that opinion.

Psychoblues

Of course you don't. There's a liberal involved.

logroller
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I agree with you all the way RSR, but again, I'm talking about reality.
If the country was ruled 100% by fiscal conservatives, then you would get your way but it's not. Republicans are going to have to make some concessions to the Democrats in order to cut spending and that will likely mean a tax increase somewhere.

They're takin our jobs!!!!!:laugh2: