PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Swiss Visit Off After Complaints On Torture

Psychoblues
02-05-2011, 09:56 PM
This ain't looking so good for the chimp-in-chief. What goes around comes around.

Source: Rueters

By: Stephanie Nebehay

Sat. Feb. 5, 2011

GENEVA (Reuters) - Former President George W. Bush has canceled a visit to Switzerland, where he was to address a Jewish charity gala, due to the risk of legal action against him for alleged torture, rights groups said on Saturday.

Bush was to be the keynote speaker at Keren Hayesod's annual dinner on February 12 in Geneva. But pressure has been building on the Swiss government to arrest him and open a criminal investigation if he enters the Alpine country.

Criminal complaints against Bush alleging torture have been lodged in Geneva, court officials say.

Human rights groups said they had intended to submit a 2,500-page case against Bush in the Swiss city on Monday for alleged mistreatment of suspected militants at Guantanamo Bay, the U.S. naval base in Cuba where captives from Afghanistan, Iraq and other fronts in the so-called War on Terror were interned.

Leftist groups had also called for a protest on the day of his visit next Saturday, leading Keren Hayesod's organizers to announce that they were cancelling Bush's participation on security grounds -- not because of the criminal complaints.

But groups including the New York-based Human Rights Watch and International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH) said the cancellation was linked to growing moves to hold Bush accountable for torture, including waterboarding. He has admitted in his memoirs and television interviews to ordering use of the interrogation technique that simulates drowning.

"He's avoiding the handcuffs," Reed Brody, counsel for Human Rights Watch, told Reuters.

The action in Switzerland showed Bush had reason to fear legal complaints against him if he travelled to countries that have ratified an international treaty banning torture, he said.

Brody is an American-trained lawyer specialized in pursuing war crimes worldwide, especially those allegedly ordered by former leaders, including Chile's late dictator Augusto Pinochet and Chad's ousted president Hissene Habre. Habre has been charged by Belgium with crimes against humanity and torture, and is currently exiled in Senegal........................................... .................................................. ...................

Lots More: http://betaus.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7141CU20110205?WT.tsrc=Social%20Media&ca=rdt

Not much respect for the Crawfish from Crawfordsville.

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Yea, the nerve of Pres Bush to put the ability to raise money for a charity ahead of facing down the looney left

Not even liberals can set aside their hate for Pres Bush long enough for the man to try and assist in raising money for the poor

Real clasy bunch you hang out with and support PB

revelarts
02-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Bush and Clinton ought to go to Switzerland together.
For that charity gig.
They can put them both in jail. Clinton started the rendition program and past the baton to BushCHENEY who bought the torture home.

red states rule
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
For that charity gig.
They can put them both in jail. Clinton started the rendition program and past the baton to BushCHENEY who bought the torture home.

Give me a break please!!

I have had enough of this torture and war crimes BS from the Bush haters

Last I checked we had an election on the war, "rights" of terrorists, the torture BS, and you guys LOST

Funny how the Bush haters never seem to mention nearly all the policies they hated under Bush have remained the same under Obama

It is also telling there are no more any anti war protests, peace marches, or outcries over GITMO any longer

Amazing how fast the Bush haters and anti war nuts are vansihed when Obama tok office

GUBMINT Cheese
02-06-2011, 10:48 AM
GO GWB!.........:salute:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/jjammer18/01020101030601041220080902f254c033f.jpg
I'm sure our Islamic friends would never use torture or behead anyone .......

red states rule
02-06-2011, 10:50 AM
At leasst GW didn't have their heads cut off, like the Muslim savages would have done.........:salute:
http://http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/jjammer18/01020101030601041220080902f254c033f.jpg

and the terrorists in our jails do not have their breathing privilages taken away

I mean the namby pambies running around screaming about the rights of terrorists makes me want to puke

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
For that charity gig.

revy, our opposition to torture done in the names of Americans and America is more than disgusting and illegal via International Treaties that we as Americans are party to and by the moral consensus of our military leadership. They looked long and hard and even had to hire contractors to carry out these despicable and illegal acts.

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
revy, our opposition to torture done in the names of Americans and America is more than disgusting and illegal via International Treaties that we as Americans are party to and by the moral consensus of our military leadership. They looked long and hard and even had to hire contractors to carry out these despicable and illegal acts.

Psychoblues

Like most of the left PB, you really could not care less what happened on 9/11/01 - only how you may use the murder of 3000 people for political gain

Here is a blog from another liberal - you will find alot of common ground with this loser

Have You Forgotten?
How many of us can forget that day, six or seven years ago, when George Dumbya Bush sat there on his ass in an elementary school classroom and read a story about a pet goat while commercial aircraft fell from the sky, killing 19 innocent Muslim tourists and 3,000 little Eichmanns?

For liberals, it's a day that will be forever branded onto our collective conscience like a pipe burns on a shag carpet. Yet most of the candlelight vigils and hallucinogenic hootenannies being held across the nation this evening focus more on honoring the so-called "victims" then preventing another, perhaps far more devastating tragedy. With all the billions Bush has poured into "Homeland Security" and his "War on Terror", the book that started it on still sits on library shelves. The insidious tome that led to two illegal and immoral wars, the theft of billions of gallons of oil from Iraq, Abu Ghraib, Gitmo, and the severe erosion of my esophogus from countless vomit-ins at military recruitment centers, can be easily purchased by any unelected peeResident with 26 bucks and a hankerin' to kill some brown-skinned fellers.

As tireless defenders of the Living, Breathing Constitution, Progressives by nature have a deep aversion to the banning of books - except for maybe Huckleberry Finn. And the Bible. But with a Tennessee redneck poised to steal the GOP nomination - and perhaps even the White House in 2008 - it is far too dangerous for this book to be allowed to exist.

So, in honor of those who lost their lives and their elections thanks to the terrible event that happened on this Day 5 or 6 years ago, I'll be up at Gasworks Park tonight roasting organic marshmallows on a bonfire fueled with copies of Reading Mastery - Level 2 Storybook, aka My Pet Goat. And Huck Finn. And the Bible. You're all invited to join the festivities. Realistically, we probably won't be able to destroy every copy of the book in existence and prevent another illegal and immoral war. But at least we can make an important political statement and show the world that WE haven't forgotten - while getting really, really stoned in the process.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2007/09/have-you-forgot.html

revelarts
02-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Give me a break please!!

I have had enough of this torture and war crimes BS from the Bush haters

Last I checked we had an election on the war, "rights" of terrorists, the torture BS, and you guys LOST

Funny how the Bush haters never seem to mention nearly all the policies they hated under Bush have remained the same under Obama

It is also telling there are no more any anti war protests, peace marches, or outcries over GITMO any longer

Amazing how fast the Bush haters and anti war nuts are vansihed when Obama tok office

Red, you know I'm an equal opportunity Hater.

I've mentioned several times that Obama is as bad as Bush but he's a kinder gentler stealth Chicago lawyer oppressor. He's worse in many cases. Better in some.

( Parenthetically I generally make an effort to attack or promote a politicians policies. I've found very few politicians (or people) that i disagree with on EVERYTHING. and NO action or policy that I'll defend when they are WRONG even if i've voted for them and agree with them on most Everything else. Bush was pretty Good on Abortion and a few other issues but CRIMINALLY WRONG on the WARS, the CONSTITUTION and TORTURE. )

Obama said he was going to close Gitmo. I never believed him and he hasn't.
He says he was going to shut down all of the CIA secret sites. he says he has, but How do we know, it's a secret. Shhhh. Just trust the CIA.
OBAMA says Bush was horrible and was Knee jerk in the handling Detainees. Jailing with "AD DOC" policies that are unconstitutional. But He's going to find a Legal way to get around the constitution to jail people indefinitely forever and ever without charges or or trail or evidence.
So in many ways he's worse. i can't prove torture on his watch yet though. But I won't be shocked if/when it comes out. At that point yes Bush, Clinton and Obama can share a cell in the Geveva and they can all raise money by phone all day long for charity from their cells.

In the Words of Shep Smith on FOX NEWS.
"MCCAIN SAYS IT DOESN'T WORK!
WE ARE AMERICA WE DON'T TORTURE!! IF AMERICA CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT TORTURE I WANT OFF THE TRAIN! I DON'T GIVE A RATS --- IF IT HELPS!! WE DON'T DO IT!! ITS WRONG!!"

red states rule
02-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes Rev, those THREE TERRORISTS who were waterboarded spilled info that saved lives

Even the NY Times had to admit as much

But for some reason some people are still hung up on the "rights" of terrorists and have this obsession with putting their fellow citizens in jail for doing their job and protecting the nation

red states rule
02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
and on the Iraq war libs can't help but lie like hell and rewrite history

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdqGkUprvk" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=hdqGkUprvk" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
It's amazing how the Left has to be so hypcritical. They lie about former President Bush and torture, then torture us with their constant whining about it.

Listening to a leftist complain is cruel and unusual punishment.

Psychoblues
02-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Clinton, gwb and Obama could go to Switzerland. By the publisized plans of the Swiss only 2 of them will be returning to the USofA. Many sholars and investigators have already scrutinized this subject every way it can be and by consensus agree that gwb should go to trial and face various charges of breaking international treaties and understandings.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
... go to trial and face various charges of breaking international treaties and understandings.

You can go to jail for breaking an understanding? Wow, I hope he didn't hurt anyone's feelings either then.

jon_forward
02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Hatred does strange things to people, Did GWB make mistakes? Clinton? Obama ? Its time to let the Hatred of Losing the Election a DECADE ago fade away. But 9/11 will be like 12/7 ..... forever ! A TERRORIST ISNT HUMAN AND HAS NO RIGHTS. In my book waterboarding is to kind.

Psychoblues
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
You can go to jail for breaking an understanding? Wow, I hope he didn't hurt anyone's feelings either then.

You have no clue as to how much death and destruction I've seen at the hands of the American military for failures to abide "understandings", fj. Think about all through the 80's and all that transpired in Central and South America. Most of what happened there you'll never know about unless Julian Assange or someone like him has the real deal scoop and is willing to share.

Psychoblues

sundaydriver
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
You have no clue as to how much death and destruction I've seen at the hands of the American military for failures to abide "understandings", fj. Think about all through the 80's and all that transpired in Central and South America. Most of what happened there you'll never know about unless Julian Assange or someone like him has the real deal scoop and is willing to share.

Psychoblues

Ask Henry Kissinger. There are countries in the world that consider him a war criminal even after winning the Nobel Prize for Detente. South American death squads in 6 countries trained by the school of the Americas by the US under Kissinger. Not a comment, just a sad fact.

revelarts
02-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Clinton, gwb and Obama could go to Switzerland. By the publisized plans of the Swiss only 2 of them will be returning to the USofA. Many sholars and investigators have already scrutinized this subject every way it can be and by consensus agree that gwb should go to trial and face various charges of breaking international treaties and understandings.

Psychoblues

CIA renditions began under Clinton: agent

The US Central Intelligence Agency's (CIA) controversial "rendition" program was launched under US president Bill Clinton, a former US counter-terrorism agent has told a German newspaper.

Michael Scheuer, a 22-year veteran of the CIA who resigned from the agency in 2004, has told Die Zeit that the US administration had been looking in the mid-1990s for a way to combat the terrorist threat and circumvent the cumbersome US legal system.

"President Clinton, his national security adviser Sandy Berger and his terrorism adviser Richard Clark ordered the CIA in the autumn of 1995 to destroy Al Qaeda," Mr Scheuer said.

"We asked the president what we should do with the people we capture. Clinton said 'That's up to you'."

Mr Scheuer, who headed the CIA unit that tracked Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden from 1996 to 1999, says he developed and led the "renditions" program.

He says the program includes moving prisoners without due legal process to countries without strict human rights protections.

"In Cairo, people are not treated like they are in Milwaukee," he said.

"The Clinton administration asked us if we believed that the prisoners were being treated in accordance with local law.

"And we answered, 'yes, we're fairly sure'."

He says at the time the CIA did not arrest or imprison anyone itself.

"That was done by the local police or secret services," he said, adding the prisoners were never taken to US soil.

"President Clinton did not want that," he said.

- AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1539284.htm

Psych
Clinton should go to Jail too.
for being party to torture.

And i'll breifly mention
Vince Foster and Juanita Broaddrick, Mena Arkansas Drug Dealing and trail of dead there and dead Iraqis from Sanctions and bombings against them and bombing of Kosovo what was that about.

yep Clinton and Jail sounds about right.

fj1200
02-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Psychoblues

Yup, I have no idea what you've seen. Would you like to put all ex-presidents in jail for not abiding "understandings"?

Psychoblues
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Yup, I have no idea what you've seen. Would you like to put all ex-presidents in jail for not abiding "understandings"?

I want to answer you competently, fj. But I don't feel that I'm adequately prepared to do so at this time.

Psychoblues

logroller
02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
It's amazing how the Left has to be so hypcritical. They lie about former President Bush and torture, then torture us with their constant whining about it.

No less hypocritical than violating one's rights to protect the rights of another; To which the swiss bank vaults are flush.

Listening to a leftist complain is cruel and unusual punishment.

Cruel but not unusual!:laugh:

red states rule
02-09-2011, 03:48 AM
No less hypocritical than violating one's rights to protect the rights of another; To which the swiss bank vaults are flush.

Cruel but not unusual!:laugh:

Again, what "rights" of terrorists were violated?

Remember THREE terrorists were waterboarded and the info obtained saved lives? Would you rather have innocent people murdered rather then shoot water up the nose of a terrorist?

Palin Rider
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Like most of the left PB, you really could not care less what happened on 9/11/01 - only how you may use the murder of 3000 people for political gain

Like most of the right, Burger King Kid, you really could not care less what happened on 9/11/01 - only how you may use the murder of 3000 people for political gain

Psychoblues
02-09-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1539284.htm

Psych
Clinton should go to Jail too.
for being party to torture.

And i'll breifly mention
Vince Foster and Juanita Broaddrick, Mena Arkansas Drug Dealing and trail of dead there and dead Iraqis from Sanctions and bombings against them and bombing of Kosovo what was that about.

yep Clinton and Jail sounds about right.

Shifting the conversation is the ploy of desperation, revy. gwb would stay in Switzerland and hopefully be found guilty by a jury or council of his peers for violating international treaties and cruelty to mankind. Those are certainly no matters to joke about especially in the case of one that considered himself the undeclared dictator of the world and thought of himself as smart. He was smart as in the emperor with no cloths smart.

Psychoblues

revelarts
02-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Shifting the conversation is the ploy of desperation, revy. gwb would stay in Switzerland and hopefully be found guilty by a jury or council of his peers for violating international treaties and cruelty to mankind. Those are certainly no matters to joke about especially in the case of one that considered himself the undeclared dictator of the world and thought of himself as smart. He was smart as in the emperor with no cloths smart.

Psychoblues

I'm not kidding.

Not sure why Rendition is ok for Clinton but not for Bush.
Could you explain that to me Psych?

red states rule
02-10-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm not kidding.

Not sure why Rendition is ok for Clinton but not for Bush.
Could you explain that to me Psych?

It is very easy to underatnd why Revelarts

Ckinton has a "D" at the end of his name

Bush has an "R" at the end of his name

revelarts
02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Red, it looks like you are EXACTLY RIGHT on this one sir.

Unless Psych loss his internet service or something that's all we can assume here.

gabosaurus
02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
The Swiss people have a low tolerance for terrorists and international bullies. Good for them.