PDA

View Full Version : Marines Headed to Egypt????

texastom
02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
From the article, they're only going "to help with the evacuation of Americans", but sending in troops will not be well received on the Arab street....

<a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/senior-us-marine-says-multiple-platoons-are-headed-to-egypt-2011-2#ixzz1DFLOk5ol">Senior US Marine Says "Multiple Platoons" Are Headed To Egypt</a>

From "Business Insider"

A senior member of the US Marine corps is telling people "multiple platoons" are deploying to Egypt, a source tells us.

There is a system within the US Marines that alerts the immediate families of high-ranking marines when their marine will soon be deployed to an emergency situation where they will not be able to talk to their spouses or families.

That alert just went out, says our source.

Kathianne
02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
From the article, they're only going "to help with the evacuation of Americans", but sending in troops will not be well received on the Arab street....

<a href="http://www.businessinsider.com/senior-us-marine-says-multiple-platoons-are-headed-to-egypt-2011-2#ixzz1DFLOk5ol">Senior US Marine Says "Multiple Platoons" Are Headed To Egypt</a>

From "Business Insider"

A senior member of the US Marine corps is telling people "multiple platoons" are deploying to Egypt, a source tells us.

There is a system within the US Marines that alerts the immediate families of high-ranking marines when their marine will soon be deployed to an emergency situation where they will not be able to talk to their spouses or families.

That alert just went out, says our source.

I would be surprised if 'Marines' were heading to Egypt. Perhaps high level military 'advisors' which is just an extension of State Dept. and DOD working together. In light of how Vietnam went down, even that makes me nervous.

texastom
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I would be surprised if 'Marines' were heading to Egypt. Perhaps high level military 'advisors' which is just an extension of State Dept. and DOD working together. In light of how Vietnam went down, even that makes me nervous.It says "Platoons", so that means it's probably at least a company and is likely at least 4 platoons of roughly 30 mean in each platoon, so that would be about 120 men plus some support. About the right size needed to beef up security at the embassy.

Kathianne
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
It says "Platoons", so that means it's probably at least a company and is likely at least 4 platoons of roughly 30 mean in each platoon, so that would be about 120 men plus some support. About the right size needed to beef up security at the embassy.

I'd be shocked. There's nothing we can do militarily there and if the administration were to do so, Egypt wouldn't be the only country with people on the streets.

Gaffer
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Platoons means they are sending in backup for the Marines already there protecting the embassy. They will beef up the platoon already there to a company size.

If they have to wait till the dark lord gives the order to fire, then we will have iranII.