PDA

View Full Version : Report: Keith Olbermann To Join Current TV

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
USA TODAY

by Trey Barrineau

Former MSNBC television personality Keith Olbermann, who departed the cable news network in January, is expected to announce on Tuesday that he's joining the public affairs channel Current TV, The New York Times reports.

Because Olbermann's exit from MSNBC includes a clause that prohibits him from joining another TV outlet for an undetermined amount of time, it's not clear when he'd be starting at Current TV. But it appears that the move has been in the works for some time. According to the Times, the Internet domain name TheOlbermannShow.com was registered two days before his on-air announcement that he was leaving MSNBC.

Olbermann's arrival could boost Current TV's profile. The cable channel, which counts former vice president Al Gore among its founders, is currently only available in about 60 million homes............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

More: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/02/report-keith-olbermann-to-join-current-tv/1

Psychoblues

texastom
02-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Current TV. Where "has-been" journalists go to die a slow, lonely, and bitter death in the broadcasting industry.

02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow. a station that hopes to use Keith Olbermann to raise it's public profile... thats pretty sad..

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Current TV. Where "has-been" journalists go to die a slow, lonely, and bitter death in the broadcasting industry.

I don't know of any "has-been" journalists that have died over there. Actually, they haven't been around that long, are only available on about 1/8th of available TV market but are growing steadily as better programing becomes available. I think Keith Olbermann will go a long way towards attracting the kind of audience that Current TV targets.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess this means he'll have even less viewers.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Here's a little more from the Current TV site on this matter.

Current TV

Keith Olbermann to Host Major New Nightly Primetime News and Commentary Show
on Current TV

Keith Olbermann, the acclaimed broadcaster and writer whose verbal pyrotechnics and moral passion have outraged, informed, and dazzled viewers of "Countdown With Keith Olbermann" for the past eight years, is bringing his slashing wit, analytical eye, and distinctive commentary to Current Media, the Emmy® and Peabody Award-winning TV and digital media company that was founded in 2005 by Al Gore and Joel Hyatt and is now distributed in more than 75 million households around the world. The news was announced today in New York.

In addition to executive producing and hosting a new nightly primetime news and commentary show, Keith Olbermann will also serve as the company's Chief News Officer and will have an equity stake in Current Media.

The new show will air weeknights in primetime beginning later in 2011.............................................. .................................................. ...........................................

More: http://current.com/keith-olbermann/

Psychoblues

logroller
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM

As opposed to the reputation earned as a spokesperson for commercial news outlets... I'd rather die alone and bitter as a journalist than a puppet.

"I've always considered writing the most hateful kind of work. I suspect it's a bit like fucking, which is only fun for amateurs. Old whores don't do much giggling."
— Hunter S. Thompson

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
I guess this means he'll have even less viewers.

No question you are correct, fj, but he went to MSNBC with few viewers and grew that timeslot exponentially. Whether you like it or not, Keith is a very popular, intelligent and correctly thinking man in my opinion and in the opinions of many millions. He will do well regardless his point of broadcast.

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
He was nailing it all right.

Ratings for Olbermann's Countdown have been soft recently, and the 8 p.m. shows on CNN and HLN have narrowed the gap. In the important demographic of adults 25 to 54 -- the group advertisers are looking to reach -- Countdown was down 44% year-over-year in January. It averaged 268,000 viewers in that demo, only 3,000 more than Nancy Grace's show on HLN, and 12,000 more than CNN's Campbell Brown. Fox News's O'Reilly Factor dominated the hour with 964,000 viewers age 25 to 54, and was the only cable news show in the time period to increase its audience, by 55%.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/05/keith-olbermann-defends-c_n_451482.html

texastom
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
No question you are correct, fj, but he went to MSNBC with few viewers and grew that timeslot exponentially. Whether you like it or not, Keith is a very popular, intelligent and correctly thinking man in my opinion and in the opinions of many millions. He will do well regardless his point of broadcast.

PsychobluesYeah, I'm sure the start of the war in Iraq, that coincided with his appearance at MSNBC, had nothing to do with people watching what, was then, cited as a legit 'news' outlet. I know I used to watch him, because I was desperately seeking news on the war back then and was flipping channels constantly to try and keep up, so at that time he was just one of the many I watched and I'm sure that there were many more like me. However, after a while, it became obvious he was obsessed with his 'competitors' and that made me turn the channel.

Lastly, your comment, "as opposed to the reputation earned as a spokesperson for commercial news outlets... I'd rather die alone and bitter as a journalist than a puppet." makes NO sense.

He had no problem being a spokesperson for a commercial news outlet as long as he had his job; plus he's going to a new commercial news outlet to try and pump it up. And c'mon, you know as well as I that CurrentTV is an extremely liberal commercial 'news' outlet, so he's just being their puppet instead of MSNBC's.

Same Zebra, just different stripes.

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the start of the war in Iraq, that coincided with his appearance at MSNBC, had nothing to do with people watching what, was then, cited as a legit 'news' outlet. I know I used to watch him, because I was desperately seeking news on the war back then and was flipping channels constantly to try and keep up, so at that time he was just one of the many I watched and I'm sure that there were many more like me. However, after a while, it became obvious he was obsessed with his 'competitors' and that made me turn the channel.

Lastly, your comment, "as opposed to the reputation earned as a spokesperson for commercial news outlets... I'd rather die alone and bitter as a journalist than a puppet." makes NO sense.

He had no problem being a spokesperson for a commercial news outlet as long as he had his job; plus he's going to a new commercial news outlet to try and pump it up. And c'mon, you know as well as I that CurrentTV is an extremely liberal commercial 'news' outlet, so he's just being their puppet instead of MSNBC's.

Keith ALWAYS DEMANDED his independence come hell or high water and I didn't make that statement you are accusing me of, tt. And I never said that Current isn't a liberal entertainment platform. About all good art and entertainment is based within liberal ideology.

Psychoblues

namvet
02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg/672px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg.png

im sure he'll be inspiring

trobinett
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
USA TODAY

by Trey Barrineau

Former MSNBC television personality Keith Olbermann, who departed the cable news network in January, is expected to announce on Tuesday that he's joining the public affairs channel Current TV, The New York Times reports.

Because Olbermann's exit from MSNBC includes a clause that prohibits him from joining another TV outlet for an undetermined amount of time, it's not clear when he'd be starting at Current TV. But it appears that the move has been in the works for some time. According to the Times, the Internet domain name TheOlbermannShow.com was registered two days before his on-air announcement that he was leaving MSNBC.

Olbermann's arrival could boost Current TV's profile. The cable channel, which counts former vice president Al Gore among its founders, is currently only available in about 60 million homes............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....

More: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/02/report-keith-olbermann-to-join-current-tv/1

Psychoblues

I thought Olbermann was a sports caster? Did I miss something?:cheers2::lol:

namvet
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM

ESPN canned his ass

fj1200
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
About all good art and entertainment is based within liberal ideology.

:facepalm:

logroller
02-08-2011, 01:48 PM

my comment, not pb's; and I used "I" not "he". Though your critique of CurrentTV being no different, commercially, is fair; the belief that viewership is in any way causally related to journalistic integrity is false. That was point, and it makes sense!

So far as your zebra analogy, If you hear hoofbeats...

http://www.worldhum.com/images/images2010/tijuana_zonkey_360.jpg

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM

He was for years, Trobby, and his encyclopedic knowledge of sports data, accomplishments and names remains legendary amongst present day sportscasters. Keith is quite an individual.

Psychoblues

Trigg
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
He was for years, Trobby, and his encyclopedic knowledge of sports data, accomplishments and names remains legendary amongst present day sportscasters. Keith is quite an individual.Psychoblues

he's a hack

Psychoblues
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
he's a hack

How so?

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-08-2011, 05:42 PM
he's a hack

Yes, he is. Indeed, a partisan hack at that! :laugh2:

red states rule
02-09-2011, 04:37 AM
USA TODAY

by Trey Barrineau

Psychoblues

Is he being paid with carbon credits?

red states rule
02-09-2011, 04:40 AM
He was for years, Trobby, and his encyclopedic knowledge of sports data, accomplishments and names remains legendary amongst present day sportscasters. Keith is quite an individual.

Psychoblues

He is quite an individual

Keith is now on a cable network noboady has or wants and is going down the ladder os success

Could not happen to a nicer guy!

trobinett
02-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Psychoblues

Psyco, your too smart to fall for the likes of this dip shit. Open your eyes, and REALLY see who your trying to defend.

The Olbermann's of the world are fucking it up for the rest of us. Truly, look at his history, look at his fall from grace, look at his RATINGS.

You and I have gone back and forth for years, but Olbermann doesn't deserve your support. Just think about it.:cool:

Missileman
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Could admin move this thread to the "Who really gives a shit" forum? :laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Psyco, your too smart to fall for the likes of this dip shit. Open your eyes, and REALLY see who your trying to defend.

The Olbermann's of the world are fucking it up for the rest of us. Truly, look at his history, look at his fall from grace, look at his RATINGS.

You and I have gone back and forth for years, but Olbermann doesn't deserve your support. Just think about it.:cool:

Wuzzup, Trobby?!?!?!?! I neither support nor condemn the man, Trobby. I think he's funny and then I think he get's a little too serious about some things but he is about on the same level as a Shep Shepard or a Chris Wallace at FoxNews. I don't think many minds are changed listening to any of these entertainers. I maintain the validity of my statement about Keith being legendary among sportscasters. Good to see you, Trob!!

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
... he is about on the same level as a Shep Shepard or a Chris Wallace at FoxNews.

:laugh:

Psychoblues
02-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Well, except Keith is smarter, can demonstrate credibly the working parts of his analyses and comes across less as an entertainer and more of an objective jounalist.

:laugh2:

Psychoblues

fj1200
02-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Well, except Keith is smarter, can demonstrate credibly the working parts of his analyses and comes across less as an entertainer and more of an objective jounalist.

I'll be sure to tip my waitress.

red states rule
02-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Wuzzup, Trobby?!?!?!?! I neither support nor condemn the man, Trobby. I think he's funny and then I think he get's a little too serious about some things but he is about on the same level as a Shep Shepard or a Chris Wallace at FoxNews. I don't think many minds are changed listening to any of these entertainers. I maintain the validity of my statement about Keith being legendary among sportscasters. Good to see you, Trob!!

Psychoblues

Unless of course the "entertainer" is Rush Limbaugh - then libs like you blow a gasket over his comments about liberals

Of course his ratings are off the chart while Keith's are in the basement