PDA

View Full Version : In the home-stretch...

KitchenKitten99
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
3 more days of school/classes to go... I start my internship at Forepaugh's on Saturday. If I hadn't staged there three times last fall, I would probably be more nervous. However I know the layout of the kitchen and have a basic understanding of how the dishes are plated etc.

So... here comes the real world in 3...2... :smoke:

Kathianne
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
3 more days of school/classes to go... I start my internship at Forepaugh's on Saturday. If I hadn't staged there three times last fall, I would probably be more nervous. However I know the layout of the kitchen and have a basic understanding of how the dishes are plated etc.

So... here comes the real world in 3...2... :smoke:

I'm certain you will do grand! Sounds sort of like student teaching semester. Do you have to make your own recipes for grades?

Kathianne
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
FK, do I have the right site?

http://www.forepaughs.com/

A New Look For An Old Friend

At Forepaugh’s you and your guests will enjoy New American Cuisine, served in our historic 19th-century setting. Crystal chandeliers and rare antiques provide an ambiance for gracious dining that is complemented by our professional staff.

This historic, three story, Victorian mansion has experienced a succession of distinguished owners and architectural improvements since it was first built over 130 years ago.

Beautifully positioned adjacent to Irvine Park, Forepaugh’s restaurant offers another reason to visit St. Paul.

Escape Back to a Simpler Time.
Come in and Linger Over Lunch or Dinner.
Relax While You Dine in One of Our Nine Newly Re-Decorated Victorian Rooms!

Place looks fabulous!

KitchenKitten99
02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
FK, do I have the right site?

http://www.forepaughs.com/

Place looks fabulous!

Yes, you have it. :thumb:
No, I don't have to do the recipe thing for my internship. I did that stuff in my culinary classes, including my class I am in now, which is the school-run restaurant. Just today chef featured my recipe item on the menu. :cool:

I basically work for Forepaugh's for 3 months (need to log 180 hours in 6 weeks, two 6-week periods).

Kathianne
02-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes, you have it. :thumb:
No, I don't have to do the recipe thing for my internship. I did that stuff in my culinary classes, including my class I am in now, which is the school-run restaurant. Just today chef featured my recipe item on the menu. :cool:

I basically work for Forepaugh's for 3 months (need to log 180 hours in 6 weeks, two 6-week periods).

Looks like an A+ place to do internship. I loved the interview with Chef about family and restaurant. I wish good things for you from this!

KitchenKitten99
02-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Looks like an A+ place to do internship. I loved the interview with Chef about family and restaurant. I wish good things for you from this!

If you check out their facebook page, there are more photos of the crew, the different dishes they offer, etc.

KitchenKitten99
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Cool part is that I actually have a chance at getting hired on and work for them full-time if there is an opening. Even so, this is a good place to put on a resume.

KitchenKitten99
02-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Tomorrow, 1pm to ?? I will be starting my journey.

Kathianne
02-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Tomorrow, 1pm to ?? I will be starting my journey.

I'm sure you'll do fine and learn a lot! Good experiences, you don't need luck. ;)

Little-Acorn
02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Are you from Meeneesohtah? Are you familiar with the weather there, especially winter? I don't mean heard about it, but experienced it.

If not: Get a GOOD coat, some REALLY good gloves (I liked Hotfingers when I was there 1976-1982)... and a shitty car. Because no matter what car you bring, it will look shitty after a winter there - they pour tons of salt on the roads, and rust will eat your car alive.

NightTrain
02-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Congrats, FK! It's a great feeling to finally be on the home stretch in your career education, isn't it?

KitchenKitten99
02-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Congrats, FK! It's a great feeling to finally be on the home stretch in your career education, isn't it?

Yes... and now that I have logged in over 40 hours since Saturday... school was like a cakewalk.

I got tossed right into the line for Saturday service. However 30 mins before service of 180+ main courses, I was mincing chives and minced a little of my thumb...ok a LOT of my left thumb. No stitches, just a crapload of super glue, a bandage, finger cot, a little OJ and ginger ale to help with my stomach (i nearly passed out because of the adrenaline rush).

It still hurts a little but I keep putting the 'liquid bandage' on it and putting a well-padded bandaid on the tip to help avoid it breaking open and bleeding again.

Kathianne
02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes... and now that I have logged in over 40 hours since Saturday... school was like a cakewalk.

I got tossed right into the line for Saturday service. However 30 mins before service of 180+ main courses, I was mincing chives and minced a little of my thumb...ok a LOT of my left thumb. No stitches, just a crapload of super glue, a bandage, finger cot, a little OJ and ginger ale to help with my stomach (i nearly passed out because of the adrenaline rush).

It still hurts a little but I keep putting the 'liquid bandage' on it and putting a well-padded bandaid on the tip to help avoid it breaking open and bleeding again.

Wow! The worst thing that happened when I was student teaching is the teacher's pants fell down when he was reaching for the map. LOL! Come to think of it, that was pretty damn funny and not at my expense.

NightTrain
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow! The worst thing that happened when I was student teaching is the teacher's pants fell down when he was reaching for the map. LOL! Come to think of it, that was pretty damn funny and not at my expense.

The funniest thing that happened to me as an apprentice was having the entire AWACs hangar emptied on Elemendorf AFB because I tripped the fire alarm.

Nothing kicks in that feeling of ultimate dread when that fire alarm starts howling and you see Colonels sprinting down the hall with their secretaries in tow and the airmen push all the aircraft out of the hangar to the middle of the runway.... and you're sitting on top that ladder with the cut wire in your sweaty hand with your Journeyman staring up at you with the look of horror.

KitchenKitten99
02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
The funniest thing that happened to me as an apprentice was having the entire AWACs hangar emptied on Elemendorf AFB because I tripped the fire alarm.

Nothing kicks in that feeling of ultimate dread when that fire alarm starts howling and you see Colonels sprinting down the hall with their secretaries in tow and the airmen push all the aircraft out of the hangar to the middle of the runway.... and you're sitting on top that ladder with the cut wire in your sweaty hand with your Journeyman staring up at you with the look of horror.

:clap: :lol: :lmao: