PDA

View Full Version : And the lib beat goes on

Abbey Marie
02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Liberal media bias? Well...

FCC Orders NBC Newsrooms To Partner With Soros-Funded Non-Profits
Posted by Dana Loesch Feb 3rd 2011 at 11:00 am in Media Matters,

So much for objectivity. One of the FCC stipulations of the Comcast – NBCU merger was the incorporation of non-profit journalism centers into NBC newsrooms. They are charged with maintaining and increasing local news coverage, the regulation based on the relationship between KNSD-TV and VoiceofSanDiego.org.

KNSD airs the segments, but really can’t take all the credit for them. They are largely the work of VoiceOfSanDiego.org, a local nonprofit journalism center that has been sharing news tips, co-producing and supplying content to the station for several years.

There’s just one problem with this: Voice of San Diego is a member of INN (Investigative News Network) which is funded by the Open Society Institute, the URL of which is “www.soros.org.” Yes, these “non-profit” journalism centers are funded by George Soros.

http://bigjournalism.com/dloesch/2011/02/03/fcc-orders-nbc-newsrooms-to-partner-with-soros-funded-non-profits/

Thunderknuckles
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't understand why folks are still pointing out liberal media bias.
I would think at this point in time we can all agree that media is just biased.

If I want a conservative spin, I watch Fox News. If I want a liberal spin, I watch MSNBC. Same goes for my local newspapers and talk radio shows.

Abbey Marie
02-09-2011, 03:49 PM

If I want a conservative spin, I watch Fox News. If I want a liberal spin, I watch MSNBC. Same goes for my local newspapers and talk radio shows.

Ah so. What do you think of CBS, NBC and ABC? Do you think they are neutral? And as a corollary, what percentage of American newspapers and TV news programs do you think are conservative?

Thunderknuckles
02-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Ah so. What do you think of CBS, NBC and ABC? Do you think they are neutral? And as a corollary, what percentage of American newspapers and TV news programs do you think are conservative?
I honestly don't know the percentages and I don't think it really matters. I think it's fair to say that both liberal and conservative view points have strong media outlets. While more TV news channels seem to have a liberal bias, Fox News' ratings alone probably compensate for that. As for newspapers, most of your major players are probably liberal biased but I would wager a guess that there are more conservative local papers to compensate. The only outlet that really seems to enjoy conservative dominance is talk radio.

In any case, there's more than enough bias available out there for you to pick your poison. Hearing either side complain too much about any one particular bias starts concern me due to the specter of the "Fairness Doctrine"

Abbey Marie
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I would recommend the book Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Godlberg.
Very eye-opening for anyone who thinks it's all pretty balanced out there.

SassyLady
02-10-2011, 04:40 AM

Not everyone pays to have FoxNews or MSNBC come into their homes. However, pretty much anyone who owns a TV will get ABC, NBC and CBS. Which way do you think the news on these three networks swings? Left or right?

I honestly don't know the percentages and I don't think it really matters. I think it's fair to say that both liberal and conservative view points have strong media outlets. While more TV news channels seem to have a liberal bias, Fox News' ratings alone probably compensate for that. As for newspapers, most of your major players are probably liberal biased but I would wager a guess that there are more conservative local papers to compensate. The only outlet that really seems to enjoy conservative dominance is talk radio.

In any case, there's more than enough bias available out there for you to pick your poison. Hearing either side complain too much about any one particular bias starts concern me due to the specter of the "Fairness Doctrine"

So you think it's OK for the FCC to require that a network partner with a very liberal biased organization? Why wouldn't the FCC require them to also partner with a very conservative organization in order to keep them balanced?

Can you not see that the current path of the FCC isn't to promote balance?

Perhaps there is an abundance of material from both sides of the specturm available, however, the FCC wants to control the sources and the content...and I find that alarming.

darin
02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
If agencies would freely admit their bias it'd be a non-issue. But when corporations pretend to be neutral AND government folk berate some and praise others - that causes problems.

Thunderknuckles
02-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Perhaps there is an abundance of material from both sides of the specturm available, however, the FCC wants to control the sources and the content...and I find that alarming.
Agreed.

If agencies would freely admit their bias it'd be a non-issue. But when corporations pretend to be neutral AND government folk berate some and praise others - that causes problems.
Agreed again.