PDA

View Full Version : Senate Dems fear abortion vote

red states rule
02-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Finally perhaps taxpayer money will stop being used to pay for the murder of unborn children

Senate Democrats are bracing for the possibility that the House Republican majority can force their hand on abortion legislation.

House Republicans are focusing this week on legislation placing new restrictions on abortion, causing Senate Democrats to worry Republicans in the upper chamber will use a variety of legislative maneuvers to bring a vote to the floor.

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) predicted Tuesday that Republicans would try to force a vote on abortion bills by attaching them as riders to must-pass legislation.

“We’re going to be working on many fronts,” Boxer said. “We’re not going to sit back and allow women’s health to be attacked or their lives to be attacked, so we’ll do whatever it takes.”

“We’re going to fight this with everything we have,” added Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.).

Though Democrats still hold the majority in the Senate, Republicans have shown they could force a vote on politically challenging issues. Despite promising for weeks that the Senate would not hold a vote on repealing the healthcare reform law, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) relented last week in an agreement with Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/142885-dems-fear-house-gop-will-force-senate-abortion-vote

fj1200
02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
They better not push to hard on this.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Someday it will happen.

Thunderknuckles
02-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Finally perhaps taxpayer money will stop being used to pay for the murder of unborn children
I doubt it. This smells like political gamesmanship to me.

82Marine89
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
While I am personally pro-life and want to thank my parents for having the same view, I do support a women's right to choose what she wants to do with her body. That is between her and her maker. I also support the repeal of Roe v. Wade and the funding that goes with it only because I feel it is a State issue, not a federal issue.

Kathianne
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
While I am personally pro-life and want to thank my parents for having the same view, I do support a women's right to choose what she wants to do with her body. That is between her and her maker. I also support the repeal of Roe v. Wade and the funding that goes with it only because I feel it is a State issue, not a federal issue.

I agree with all you say, with perhaps the exception of women's right and body. However, it's currently the law of the land and I respect that. Truth is, like you I've no doubt Roe should be repealed as it's a state issue.

red states rule
02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with making every member of Congress bieng forced to go on the record on this issue or any other issue

Lets be honest, the 2012 campaign has started and the voters are still pissed off over what is going on in DC

This is why Dems are afraid of this vote and the other votes conservative Republicans will bring up

It is very early but the Senate looks like it may flip to Republicans and now it is time to set the stage to make Obama a one term mistake

darin
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM

How do you feel about what a woman decides to do with a man's unborn child?

PostmodernProphet
02-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I do support a women's right to choose what she wants to do with her body.

I feel the same way about the kid....

GUBMINT Cheese
02-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I always vote against any candidate who is against abortion....
The problem with abortion is that the wrong people are the ones getting them......
While the welfare losers belly up to the public trough & EBT heaven....:slap:

logroller
02-14-2011, 01:49 AM
How do you feel about what a woman decides to do with a man's unborn child?

Probably should have worked out such details before impregnating her.
A similar question could be posed as to rather a woman has the right to use birth control without the consent of her partner. Answer: her body/ her business. Roe v Wade ruled similarly.

red states rule
02-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Probably should have worked out such details before impregnating her.
A similar question could be posed as to rather a woman has the right to use birth control without the consent of her partner. Answer: her body/ her business. Roe v Wade ruled similarly.

So if someone took ahold of you, stuck a knife in your back - you would consider it a personal issue?

The point is, yes abortion is legal but Federal funds should not be used to pay for the murder

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 06:17 AM
So if someone took ahold of you, stuck a knife in your back - you would consider it a personal issue?

The point is, yes abortion is legal but Federal funds should not be used to pay for the murder

It saves money in the long run....
Pay me now, or pay me later.....
Penny wise, pound foolish....:slap:

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 06:22 AM
The same arguement applies to health care for the poor.....
Pay now for the basic preventative coverage, or pay through the nose later at the ER....
*This excludes illegal immigrants, they can die in the street & then be deported, for all I care.....:poke:

fj1200
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Pay me now, or pay me later.....
Penny wise, pound foolish....:slap:

I don't think a eugenics based argument is the best way to go.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/07/22/ginsburgs-remark-stirs-an-old-debate-abortion-eugenics-and-th/

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 06:36 AM
I don't think a eugenics based argument is the best way to go.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/07/22/ginsburgs-remark-stirs-an-old-debate-abortion-eugenics-and-th/

It's not a eugenics based arguement.....
No one is being forced to do anything....
If you want the kid, have the kid......;)

fj1200
02-14-2011, 06:57 AM
It's not a eugenics based arguement.....

Keep that one alive. :rolleyes:

Pay now for the basic preventative coverage, or pay through the nose later at the ER....

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Keep that one alive. :rolleyes:

Whatever, moral issues aside, it is fiscal common sense......
This is one area where Repub 'morals" make hypocrites out of them.....:slap:

fj1200
02-14-2011, 07:13 AM

No. Republicans are very much pro-adoption.

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 07:22 AM
No. Republicans are very much pro-adoption.

Well, they need to get busy because there is a shitload of orphans out there inspite of all those abortions......
I'd love to stay & chat some more, but I gotta go to work....
After all, millions on welfare & the '99'ers are depending on me!......:laugh:

darin
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
^^^ Fix adoption laws and it'll happen. Most folks I know can't AFFORD adoption. I've heard of things like "requiring the adoptive parents to have $100,000 in a bank account...or otherwise 'proving' they can pay their kids' college education, etc. Just general progressive bullshit.

krisy
02-14-2011, 10:38 AM
^^^ Fix adoption laws and it'll happen. Most folks I know can't AFFORD adoption. I've heard of things like "requiring the adoptive parents to have $100,000 in a bank account...or otherwise 'proving' they can pay their kids' college education, etc. Just general progressive bullshit.

Wow! Who thinks of this nonsense?

logroller
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Being stabbed in the back? -Doesn't get much more personal.

What's your take on the death penalty and war? Aren't these still murder under the auspices of defending personal rights and freedom?

Abbey Marie
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM

That's a very sweeping generalization, and not very logical. Republicans do not make every decision based on purely fiscal considerations. Did you really think so?

gabosaurus
02-15-2011, 01:20 AM
When men start getting pregnant, they can start having a say in reproductive rights.
When a 16 or 17 year old girl get pregnant, how many responsible guys pledge their support for the nest two decades or so? Close to zero perhaps?
If abortion is made illegal, then I want being a deadbeat dad made a felony. I want the sperm donor (they aren't really a "parent") fingerprinted and put into a record database, where they are legally accountable for expenses for the next 18 years. Deadbeat dads need to be treated as criminals and pursued as such.

red states rule
02-15-2011, 04:00 AM
What's your take on the death penalty and war? Aren't these still murder under the auspices of defending personal rights and freedom?

The death penalty is for those found guilty and they are punished fro their crimes

In war you kill the enemy before they kill you

Abortion is killing the innocent who have done nothing wrong

It is that smiple

red states rule
02-15-2011, 04:02 AM
When men start getting pregnant, they can start having a say in reproductive rights.
When a 16 or 17 year old girl get pregnant, how many responsible guys pledge their support for the nest two decades or so? Close to zero perhaps?
If abortion is made illegal, then I want being a deadbeat dad made a felony. I want the sperm donor (they aren't really a "parent") fingerprinted and put into a record database, where they are legally accountable for expenses for the next 18 years. Deadbeat dads need to be treated as criminals and pursued as such.

So kill the baby to make the life of the women more convenient?

BTW Gabby I have seen pics of alot of deadbet moms in the newspaper - so do not think it is all a one way street with fathers who bail out on the children