PDA

View Full Version : Save the Planet and Do NOT Give Your Loved One Flowers

red states rule
02-14-2011, 04:47 AM
A remembered reading about this and being Valentines Day I thought I mwould share it

So if you forgot to get your loved one flowers you have the perfect excuse

The Valentine's Day bouquet — the gift that every woman in Britain will be waiting for next week — has become the latest bęte noire among environmental campaigners.

Latest Government figures show that the flowers that make up the average bunch have flown 33,800 miles to reach Britain.

In the past three years, the amount of flowers imported from the Netherlands has fallen by 47 per cent to 94,000 tons, while those from Africa have risen 39 per cent to 17,000 tons.

Environmentalists warned that "flower miles" could have serious implications on climate change in terms of carbon dioxide emissions from aeroplanes.

Andrew Sims, the policy director of the New Economics Foundation, said: "There are plenty of flowers that grow in Britain in the winter and don't need to be hothoused.

"Air freighting flowers half way round the world contributes to global warming.

"You can argue the planes would be flying anyway but the amount of greenhouse gases pumped out depends on the weight of the cargo."

Vicky Hird, of Friends of the Earth, said: "We don't want to be killjoys because receiving flowers can be lovely but why not grow your own gift?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542198/Valentine-bouquets-are-bad-for-the-planet.html

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2011, 04:54 AM
too late :thumb:

I killed the planet

A remembered reading about this and being Valentines Day I thought I mwould share it

So if you forgot to get your loved one flowers you have the perfect excuse

red states rule
02-14-2011, 04:58 AM
too late :thumb:

I killed the planet

Ditto

I did my part to kill the Earth with TWO dozen roses given

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2011, 05:13 AM
you killed the planet twice, how sweet :laugh2:

nice job :salute:

sundaydriver
02-14-2011, 06:18 AM
The Dutch are still the #1 wholesalers and importers of flowers. Why is this "old" news, news?

Abbey Marie
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
The Dutch are still the #1 wholesalers and importers of flowers. Why is this "old" news, news?

Don't you mean exporters?

I assume it is still news because the global warming crowd is still going full force to change our lifestyles and choices, regardless of lack of evidence or resultant job losses.

logroller
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
How else am I to remind my wife I love her other than by buying her things?
Come to think of it; Aren't flowers renewable? Certainly roses are; I can cut a bloom and more come later-- and don't all plants sequester carbon?
Maybe I'll buy her a dozen carbon credits instead.:dance:

fj1200
02-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Maybe I'll buy her a dozen carbon credits instead.

That'll get you some action. :laugh:

Little-Acorn
02-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Come to think of it; Aren't flowers renewable? Certainly roses are; I can cut a bloom and more come later-- and don't all plants sequester carbon?

Just set the roses on fire.

:laugh:

logroller
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
That'll get you some action. :laugh:

cant wait to here "mmmmm... sequester me now!":laugh2:

Just set the roses on fire.

:laugh:
Now that's HOT!!!!

sundaydriver
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Don't you mean exporters?

I assume it is still news because the global warming crowd is still going full force to change our lifestyles and choices, regardless of lack of evidence or resultant job losses.

Got me, wasn't thinking because they do bring a large amount of the African flowers to the largest flower market in the world, the Netherlands. Then they export them which does make them the largest exporters.

DragonStryk72
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Actually, for even more stupidity, all the flowers that are sold for Valentine's Day are pretty much grown specifically to be sold for Valentine's. So really, if you don't buy the flowers, then less would be planted, and thus, would produce less pollen, and less oxygen. Not buying them would do far more to harm the planet than help it.

logroller
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Actually, for even more stupidity, all the flowers that are sold for Valentine's Day are pretty much grown specifically to be sold for Valentine's. So really, if you don't buy the flowers, then less would be planted, and thus, would produce less pollen, and less oxygen. Not buying them would do far more to harm the planet than help it.

I'm sure there is damage done to the environment from such actions, the negative effects of monoculture for one, but the flowers sent on Valentines-day, really? Kinda like debating over millions in spending cuts to solve a trillion dollar deficit- just saying-- Choose your battles carefully people-- you can't win 'em all, fight the ones that'll make an impact.

Mr. P
02-15-2011, 12:54 AM
That's it! The answer is...Fight global warming: DON'T give her flowers and watch how fast your world gets very COLD. :laugh:

gabosaurus
02-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Why is this gift exchange even necessary? For one thing, Valentine's Day is an artificial occasion, created to sell greeting cards. I have never observed it.
I have never sent or accepted purchased cards or flowers. In my view, why express your love for someone you live with with the gift of something that will soon die?
My daughter usually makes me cards in school. They are much better than any store bought card. My husband came home from work today and told me how much he loved me. Which meant much more to me than expensive flowers that I will have to dispose of in a few days.
If you have to express your love with things from a store, your love is really worth that much.

DragonStryk72
02-15-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm sure there is damage done to the environment from such actions, the negative effects of monoculture for one, but the flowers sent on Valentines-day, really? Kinda like debating over millions in spending cuts to solve a trillion dollar deficit- just saying-- Choose your battles carefully people-- you can't win 'em all, fight the ones that'll make an impact.

Again, these are not grown in natural environs as part of an eco-system, these are plants that are grown for this specific purpose.

red states rule
02-15-2011, 03:53 AM

You nailed it Abbey, With Al Gore's amazing internet all the crap the tree huggers have tossed out for years can be used against them today

They do not seem to like it either

actsnoblemartin
02-15-2011, 05:04 AM
well said gabs. I agree.

I hate valentines day, for the same reasons you loathe it.

I just wanted to make her happy :)

darin
02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
some folks confuse 'stick in the mud' and 'cold' and 'uncaring' with 'being responsible.

ANY expression of love and desire such as flowers, chocolates, gifts, whatever - is a great thing. Sure, Christmas, Saint Valentine's Day, etc, are commercial in nature. Who cares?

People reading into the holidays like that are the same crazies who say I'm worshiping the devil by trick-or-treating.