PDA

View Full Version : Im not for banning words but

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2011, 06:37 AM
should their be a concerted effort to get young people especially to stop pretending that saying nigga is somehow empowering, or waters down the evil of the real word in question.

Just a thought

Noir
02-14-2011, 06:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with the word, just the intent with which it is implied and inferred to have.

GUBMINT Cheese
02-14-2011, 06:50 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/jjammer18/01040201160701030320080603ecb549678.jpg

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Noir, with all due respect.

I find the word evil, and all who use it retarded.

Second, you cant change the meaning of a word that has a predetermined meaning, simply by hoping the evil will wash away

nigga, is the same as nigger, there is no difference so to artifically claim

well, I meant it as a term of endearment just makes people sound like a retard in my opinion

you dont see jews doing this with the word kike, mexicans calling each other wetback, and asians calling each other guke

or some other spelling, which is ridiculous

Noir
02-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Second, you cant change the meaning of a word that has a predetermined meaning, simply by hoping the evil will wash away

nigga, is the same as nigger, there is no difference so to artifically claim

well, I meant it as a term of endearment just makes people sound like a retard in my opinion

you dont see jews doing this with the word kike, mexicans calling each other wetback, and asians calling each other guke

or some other spelling, which is ridiculous

If you find a word evil then I find you retarded, just sayin'

Btw, contrary to your topic title, I'm assuming you want all words that refer to a group that can be used to be disrespectful to that group be banned? Or is nigga a special case?

darin
02-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Words have the power people grant to them. (shrug). As a Black man, I'm offended when people use 'african american'. But not really offended, cuz...it's stupid to be offended at what people say - context and intent is everything.

logroller
02-14-2011, 01:03 PM

The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color "black".-wikipedia

Don't put the cart before the horse- Often is the case where the original meaning wasn't negative or insulting. The context in which we use such words plays a far greater role than the word alone. Take the use of "liberal", in many circles this is quite docile, though many on this forum use the term in a perjorative fashion. Perhaps if we spoke latin we could avoid such evolution of language.:laugh:

I found this interesting-

According to Leo Rosten,

The word kike was born on Ellis Island when Jewish immigrants who were there were also illiterate (or could not use Latin alphabet letters), when asked to sign the entry-forms with the customary 'X,'* refused, because they associated an X with the cross of Christianity, and instead made a circle. The Yiddish word for 'circle' is kikel (pronounced KY-kul), and for 'little circle,' kikeleh (pronounced ky-kul-uh). Before long the immigration inspectors were calling anyone who signed with an 'O' instead of an 'X' a kikel or kikeleh or kikee or, finally and succinctly, kike.[4]
According to Rosten, Jewish American merchants continued to sign with an 'O' instead of an 'X' for several decades, spreading the nickname kike wherever they went as a result. At that time kike was more of an affectionate term, used by Jews to describe other Jews, and only developed into an ethnic slur later on.--wikipedia

jimnyc
02-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Freedom of Speech

Just like the rest of the USA, we have that here on this board. And just like the rest of the country, there are consequences if you abuse that freedom.

There is one word banned on this board, the "C" word about women. I won't tolerate a racist coming here and writing the N word 100 times a day, but I also wont censor it from an everyday conversation, or an occasional outburst.

Abbey Marie
02-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I don't use words like the "N" word. Ever. But I object when people are fined or fired for using a word that the "offended" group regularly uses themselves. Either it's offensive beyond standing, or it's not. Trying to divine the intent of the user, or basing it on his race, isn't fair.

gabosaurus
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
I don't understand why the "c" word is censored. I don't find it to be offensive. I am more offended by "panties" and "namvet" :)

Abbey Marie
02-15-2011, 03:24 AM
I don't understand why the "c" word is censored. I don't find it to be offensive. I am more offended by "panties" and "namvet" :)

I forgot that was there, lol. ;)

actsnoblemartin
02-15-2011, 04:53 AM
I think their is a difference between a private conversation, where no one else is around, and being in public.

the derogatory words to describe all races only bother me, in the sense that people actually think if you change a letter, it makes it better?

and yeah, african american annoys the hell out of me.

Cant we say black, for god sakes?

am i really a caucasion american? :coffee:

but yeah, on the one hand i dont think we should encourage out youth to go around calling each other love epithets :lol: but on the same token, we cant make um stop, nor do i want too.

It just bugs me when I see black youth throwing that word around like it means love.

I will disclose I am a bit of a hypocrite, because I dont mind being called a kike, by ONE person, who is a dear friend.

but I dont do it public, its over the phone

I think privately, call each other whatever you want, but publicly, you should realize, certain words are offensive, and you should show class, and not say them where others can hear them.

why is it the hispanic, asian, jewish, white and arab youth, dont use dergatory names as terms of endearment.

Im not trying to single out the blacks here, for lack of a better term.

But i look back at their cutlure and music of the 70's and this didnt seem to be such a cool thing to do back then.

Now we have n this n that rap, and instead of hello with some of our black youth its hi my n

Dont get me wrong, I cant stand most of our men, women, under 25, our youth today is retarded to some extent

country
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
What is the big deal? Blacks call each other niggar but object to the term when white s use it? Before I retired I worked with blacks and whites and the terms redneck, cracker, whitey were thrown around freely, yet if a white person used the term "niggar", all of a sudden blacks took offense.

Could it be blacks are looking for an excuse to be offended? I've been called redneck on several occasions and I consider the source and forget it. Not a big deal!

gabosaurus
02-15-2011, 02:35 PM
You can call your wife or girlfriend cute names, but no one cal do it. Same with things you call friends. It's a cultural thing.

Abbey Marie
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
You can call your wife or girlfriend cute names, but no one cal do it. Same with things you call friends. It's a cultural thing.

I understand your point, and I even agree with it. But when it gets to the point that people lose their jobs or are drummed out of industries for using the same word, they lose me.

actsnoblemartin
02-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I actually agree with you and abbey