PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Thing I've Seen In Years

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I was about to put this in humor, but it's really not funny how incredibly stupid Jack Chick is. He's only slightly above Fred Phelps on the 'jackass who claims to be a Christian' scale. Here's his latest, a tract that almost surpasses Dark Dungeons in stupidity. It's about how believing in Santa Claus makes you a serial killer.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1033/1033_01.asp?wpc=1033_01.asp&wpp=b

Edit: For comparison, here's Dark Dungeons, which shows definitively that playing table-top role-playing games will make you join a cult and kill yourself. It even ends with a good, old-fashioned book burning.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
hhhmmm...that would explain why i leave santa cookies and milk in a skull cup and pelvis platter.....

darin
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
It's true in part; Parents should NOT lie to their kids about Santa, and junk

Monkeybone
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
it's an age thing i think...i just sorta figured it out myself that he didn't exsist.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
It's true in part; Parents should NOT lie to their kids about Santa, and junk

I've always thought that this was a particularly weird part of our culture. Same goes with the Easter Bunny. :dunno: I'll probably still trick my kids into believing in this mess anyway.

darin
05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
My kids believe in neither - yet both enjoy both holidays. We show santa cartoons to the kids - they get easter bunnies. They know sometimes we make-up funny stories as an excuse to get people to SHOP, for some holidays.

:D

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 01:56 PM
My kids believe in neither - yet both enjoy both holidays. We show santa cartoons to the kids - they get easter bunnies. They know sometimes we make-up funny stories as an excuse to get people to SHOP, for some holidays.

:D

It's not a bad message, but serial killer? That's like those anti-drug commercials that show how smoking pot will make you a terrorist, don't you think?

Nienna
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
I remember my sister being angry when she found out Santa wasn't real. However, she did not ATTACK people after that. And she enjoys an AMAZING relationship with Jesus, now.

I don't tell my kids that Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy are real. We have an excellent book by Harold Myra that explains the origin of Santa Claus, and ties it back to Jesus. Pretty much the same as dmp does, I guess... they know about Santa, but they also know it's a "game."

05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
since when has jack chick ever done something that wasnt stupid, dumb, and usually offensive?

glockmail
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
It's true in part; Parents should NOT lie to their kids about Santa, and junk But there is a Santa Claus. He is a Saint, therefore proven to exist, and he exists in all who give in the name of Christ.

darin
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
But there is a Santa Claus. He is a Saint, therefore proven to exist, and he exists in all who give in the name of Christ.

eh? I don't buy it.

Gunny
05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
eh? I don't buy it.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

Hobbit
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
since when has jack chick ever done something that wasnt stupid, dumb, and usually offensive?

Yeah, but this one was over the top. It's like how Jack Thompson managed to stop being ignored for a couple of minutes when he blamed video games for the VA Tech shooting before the shooter had even been identified.

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Tsk, tsk.

Yeah, but this one was over the top. It's like how Jack Thompson managed to stop being ignored for a couple of minutes when he blamed video games for the VA Tech shooting before the shooter had even been identified.

You got something comprehensive?

05-08-2007, 04:24 AM
Tsk, tsk.

You got something comprehensive?

that question doesnt even make sense.

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Like most right wing jerks, you didn't even read the thread, did you, a4321?

that question doesnt even make sense.

YOU are what don't make sense.

Nienna
05-08-2007, 07:19 AM
But there is a Santa Claus. He is a Saint, therefore proven to exist, and he exists in all who give in the name of Christ.

That's pretty much what my book talks about... the HISTORICAL man named Nicolas, who was a Christian around the year 300 AD. He made a habit of secretly giving gifts in honor of his faith in Jesus, and the Catholic Church later canonized him. So we carry on the tradition of secretly giving gifts as an example from his life. But, the REAL historical Nicolas is dead, and we read this in the story. The kids didn't get that part at first, but we read it every year, and as they have matured, they understood. We have the advantage of always having told them the truth, and they get to enjoy the fun & mystery of "Santa Claus." :)

Nienna
05-08-2007, 07:21 AM

Maybe I have just spent too much time with preschoolers, but I didn't understand the question, either. :dunno:

05-08-2007, 02:07 PM

I responded long before you did and unlike your post, mine was legible.

Doniston
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I've always thought that this was a particularly weird part of our culture. Same goes with the Easter Bunny. :dunno: I'll probably still trick my kids into believing in this mess anyway.

I always did, and then I would explain why I still think Santa Clause is real. Far more real that the Trinity.

Monkeybone
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
nothing is wrong with little kids thinking that there is a Santa Claus and easter bunny. there is a time though when um...'reality' should kick in and if the kid breaks down and goes nutzoid cause a fat man that watches him all of the time ain't real...then i think there might be something a little deeper that needs looked into.

and Psycoblues...that didn't make sense, and Jack thompson did blame it on that. he blames everything on video games.

darin
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=35

That's not the part I don't buy. ;)

Gunny
05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
That's not the part I don't buy. ;)

Cool. Just pointing out that there actually was a St Nicholas from which Santa Claus was derived.