PDA

View Full Version : Managed Health Care UK Report

Kathianne
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
While Europe looks at what they have and how it's performing, the US copies? In so many ways this reminds me of the problems with schools and trying to equate results with money spent:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8324569/NHS-shamed-over-callous-treatment-of-elderly.html

NHS shamed over callous treatment of elderly
The National Health Service is today condemned over its inhumane treatment of elderly patients in an official report that finds hospitals are failing to meet “even the most basic standards of care” for the over-65s.

By Martin Beckford, Health Correspondent 10:43PM GMT 14 Feb 2011

A study of pensioners who suffered appalling treatment at the hands of doctors and nurses says that half were not given enough to eat or drink. One family member said the maltreatment amounted to “euthanasia”.

Some were left unwashed or in soiled clothes, while others were forgotten after being sent home or given the wrong medication.

In several cases considered by the Health Service Ombudsman, patients died without loved ones by their sides because of the “casual indifference” of staff and their “bewildering disregard” for people’s needs.

The damning report warns that extra money will not help the NHS meet required standards of care and that more problems are likely as the population ages.

Ann Abraham, who as health ombudsman carries out independent investigation of complaints against the health service, said: “The findings of my investigations reveal an attitude – both personal and institutional – which fails to recognise the humanity and individuality of the people concerned and to respond to them with sensitivity, compassion and professionalism...

Trigg
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Show me anything that is run by the government that is efficient.

It's a shame that the people who work at their hospitals don't care about the patients. But, honestly, when was the last time you met a caring, efficient government worker?????

fj1200
02-15-2011, 06:59 PM
While Europe looks at what they have and how it's performing, the US copies? In so many ways this reminds me of the problems with schools and trying to equate results with money spent:

I guess I'm not surprised that Dems aren't running AWAY from this failure of government HC, I mean they think Carter was an effective President for goodness sake.