PDA

View Full Version : Dems on Gas Prices

-Cp
05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
From the "things that make you go hmmm" file.....

I seem to remember that last year the democrats were making a big stink of rising gas prices and blamed it on the republicans - now that they're in power, the gas prices are higher (on average) than they were this time last year and not a SINGLE Democrat who was campaigning using Gas Price talking points has presented a SINGLE solution on how to lower them.

theHawk
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
The Dims would love to increase the gas tax even more all in the name of 'sacrifice' for the envornment. Thats what their big plan is - bring the economy to a screeching halt in order to save a few pounds of waste.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:31 PM

I seem to remember that last year the democrats were making a big stink of rising gas prices and blamed it on the republicans - now that they're in power, the gas prices are higher (on average) than they were this time last year and not a SINGLE Democrat who was campaigning using Gas Price talking points has presented a SINGLE solution on how to lower them.

It takes time to reverse the Republican policy blunders that created the problem. --There. See how easy it is to make pointless, partisan jabs?

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:33 PM
It takes time to reverse the Republican policy blunders that created the problem. --There. See how easy it is to make pointless, partisan jabs?

nope can't use that or bush gets a pass on 9/11 because of the blow job years....

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
nope can't use that or bush gets a pass on 9/11 because of the blow job years....

Ooh, what's my move here? Is it that Clinton's fault for 9/11 actually lies on the Republicans for taking his attention away from national security matters with the fruitless impeachment proceedings? Or do I ignore the jab about Clinton and bring up the "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the US" memo? Hmm. Tough call.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Ooh, what's my move here? Is it that Clinton's fault for 9/11 actually lies on the Republicans for taking his attention away from national security matters with the fruitless impeachment proceedings? Or do I ignore the jab about Clinton and bring up the "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the US" memo? Hmm. Tough call.

i have faith in you....remember OBL declared war on the US during the blow job years....

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM

I seem to remember the Bush supporters telling us that Bush and the GOPers could not be blamed for the high gas prices.

Now that the Democrats control Congress, things are different, I guess. We still can't blame Bush but we sure as hell can blame the Democrats in a way we weren't supposed to blame the GOPers. Go figure.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I seem to remember the Bush supporters telling us that Bush and the GOPers could not be blamed for the high gas prices.

Now that the Democrats control Congress, things are different, I guess. We still can't blame Bush but we sure as hell can blame the Democrats in a way we weren't supposed to blame the GOPers. Go figure.

the dems blamed bush anyway.....should have listened....

darin

What does that memo have to do with anything? You LOVE half-truths, man...geesh.

Do the higher-than-ever Gas prices put to rest the lies we went to war 'For Oil'?

OCA
How about removing the taxes that comprise most of the cost of a gallon of gas?

Demos repealing a tax? Nah.....wishful thinking.

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
i have faith in you....remember OBL declared war on the US during the blow job years....

Yeah, but he attacked us during the heckuva-job years so...hmm. I'm still a little perplexed about which argument I'm going to go with here.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM

gas taxes pay their salary and expense accounts.....

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but he attacked us during the heckuva-job years so...hmm. I'm still a little perplexed about which argument I'm going to go with here.

he attacked willy in somlia, and blew up the cole to name a few.....as i said i have faith in you that you will pick the right one ....

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
What does that memo have to do with anything? You LOVE half-truths, man...geesh.

Do the higher-than-ever Gas prices put to rest the lies we went to war 'For Oil'?

:tinfoil: no way, it plays right into it. We didn't go to war for oil for the people. We went to war for oil for the corporations. The people are at the bottom of the totem pole. The corporations and top execs are reaping the benefits of this war, not the people, so it's no surprise that the people are getting screwed at the pump.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
:tinfoil: no way, it plays right into it. We didn't go to war for oil for the people. We went to war for oil for the corporations. The people are at the bottom of the totem pole. The corporations and top execs are reaping the benefits of this war, not the people.

can you link me up to which US oli company is pumping oli out of iraq and into their bank account?

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:46 PM
he attacked willy in somlia, and blew up the cole to name a few.....as i said i have faith in you that you will pick the right one ....

Alright, I'll go with: Clinton's fault for 9/11 actually lies on the Republicans for taking his attention away from national security matters with the fruitless impeachment proceedings

What's your next move manu1959?

manu1959
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Alright, I'll go with: Clinton's fault for 9/11 actually lies on the Republicans for taking his attention away from national security matters with the fruitless impeachment proceedings

so he was paying attention prior to that?

Hagbard Celine
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
so he was paying attention prior to that?

Yes, he helped negotiate a peace in the Israeli/Palestine conflict as well as that eastern european conflict with the Muslims up there. He was doing pretty good until Somalia. That one stirred up a hornets nest there I tell ya what.

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM

And when have the GOPers tried to do that?

OCA
05-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Got a nice income tax break under this GOP administration and under Reagan, it ain't gas but its something.

When was the last time any Demo even proposed a tax cut? Never.....because a hard and fast belief of Demos is they believe that government knows how to appropriate funds better than the individual.

darin
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM

You aren't even taking this discussion SERIOUSLY now. C'mon. At least be intellectually HONEST.

typomaniac
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
You aren't even taking this discussion SERIOUSLY now. C'mon. At least be intellectually HONEST.Well, I'll be intellectually honest:

The Bush faction of the GOP is not only allowing Big Oil to gouge consumers; they're helping. Remember Cheney's secret "energy meetings?" You don't really think that those were intended for your and my benefit. C'mon.

darin
05-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, I'll be intellectually honest:

The Bush faction of the GOP is not only allowing Big Oil to gouge consumers; they're helping. Remember Cheney's secret "energy meetings?" You don't really think that those were intended for your and my benefit. C'mon.

Fiction. And Hatred. That's what motivations your line of thinking.

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
You aren't even taking this discussion SERIOUSLY now. C'mon. At least be intellectually HONEST.

That was completely uncalled for. How dare you question my honesty.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes, he helped negotiate a peace in the Israeli/Palestine conflict as well as that eastern european conflict with the Muslims up there. He was doing pretty good until Somalia. That one stirred up a hornets nest there I tell ya what.

yes.....how did he fare in rawanda?....seems to be a trend....

manu1959
05-07-2007, 05:25 PM

big oil...name the big oli companies and which nation their owners belong....

darin
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
That was completely uncalled for. How dare you question my honesty.

How dare you perpetuate half-truths and conjecture as 'fact'. You cannot HONESTLY say the GOP hasn't lowered taxes. It's impossible.

Mr. P
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Production is down due to the summer formula change, and there were (two?) fires that closed two refineries for repairs. Supply down price up. All the gov could do is reduce taxes or stop this stupid back and forth seasonal formula stuff.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Not on your life. We are still in Iraq for the oil.

darin
05-07-2007, 05:43 PM

lmao :)

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM

By most of the cost you mean 10%. In my state it is 18 cents fed, 18 cents state and sales tax.

And regular is $3.69

zefrendylia
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Taxes on gas are for the most part specific to the county, state, and region from where the gas is pumped. This is the reason for the wide variation in gas prices across the country. These taxes are usually directed for road repair and projects. Given the traffic situation in most cities and the quality of roads, and given the absence of forced flex-time or other alternatives, I'm all for anything that eases transportation problems.

Let's not forget here that oil prices are dropping while gasoline prices are rising. Somewhere within the 400 million dollar retirement package for Exxon's CEO, they couldn't find a budget line to create more refining capability in the U.S. Oil is not the problem, refined oil into gasoline is the issue at hand--so is price gouging. The American and British oil conglomerates have a near monopoly on the world's refined oil market. Notice that at any corner you go to, there are usually at least 2 gas stations--the prices never have a larger variance then +/- 3 cents. They could choose to construct more facilities to match the demand--they simply don't. Why? Because low supply plus high demand = extraordinary profits = increased stock price = millions of dollars for senior executives who own stock options.

Of course, the oil conglomerates wouldn't have been able to wield so much power if the demand for refined oil were not so great. For some who argue that the technology for non fuel-combustion-driven cars is way off, watch "Who Killed the Electric Car?"

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

You will see that the fossil-fuel industry, was scared straight by a mass produced affordable car that didn't need a drop of gasoline. They and the auto industry itself (didn't want to be told what to produce) quickly destroyed the best idea GM ever had.

darin
05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Taxes on gas are for the most part specific to the county, state, and region from where the gas is pumped. blah-blah-blah-blah-banter-rant...

I was speaking of taxes 'in general' ;)

darin
05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Let's not forget here that oil prices are dropping while gasoline prices are rising. Somewhere within the 400 million dollar retirement package for Exxon's CEO, they couldn't find a budget line to create more refining capability in the U.S. Oil is not the problem, refined oil into gasoline is the issue at hand--so is price gouging.

From my understanding, Leftists Environmental Bitches are what's holding up the creation of more refineries. Am I wrong?

-Cp
05-07-2007, 06:01 PM

:link: :link: :link: :link:

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
From my understanding, Leftists Environmental Bitches are what's holding up the creation of more refineries. Am I wrong?

can't build a refinery in California....i think it has something like 20 years....environmental restrictions keep increasing but refining capacity is stagnant.....so premium gas is a 3.75 as of this morning

05-07-2007, 06:07 PM

The blunder that created the high gas prices is from the Carter administration and its policies to make it so difficult to build a new refinery that we havent had one built in 30 years. Without new refineries we are working over capacity and one accident such as a fire last week can jump the price 10-15 cents.

05-07-2007, 06:10 PM

How can you claim that when Clinton's foreign policy is a direct result of Republicans in congress seeking impeachment? Do you honestly think he would have fired missles at Iraq or Aghanistan if he wasnt trying to distract people from his perversions?

05-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Now why on earth would the Bush administration meet with energy officials to help develop energy policy? Could it possibly be because they actually want to talk to people who know something about energy rather than idiots?

05-07-2007, 06:14 PM
By most of the cost you mean 10%. In my state it is 18 cents fed, 18 cents state and sales tax.

And regular is $3.69

18 cents is the federal gasoline tax across the countries. its the states that are gouging with the other dollar.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:15 PM

seems that didn't work out too well either.......

The Middle East Peace Summit at Camp David of July 2000 took place between United States President Bill Clinton, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, and Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat. It was an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to negotiate a "final status settlement" to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_David_2000_Summit

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+Middle+East+Peace+Summit+at+Camp+David+of+July+ 2000+&btnG=Google+Search

05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
seems that didn't work out too well either.......

The Middle East Peace Summit at Camp David of July 2000 took place between United States President Bill Clinton, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, and Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat. It was an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to negotiate a "final status settlement" to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_David_2000_Summit

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+Middle+East+Peace+Summit+at+Camp+David+of+July+ 2000+&btnG=Google+Search

considering that was in 2000 i think its difficult to argue that he was too distracted for foreign policy considering he worked on it for 8 years.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
considering that was in 2000 i think its difficult to argue that he was too distracted for foreign policy considering he worked on it for 8 years.

well....gettin a blow job while you are trying to work could affect your concentration....

05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
well....gettin a blow job while you are trying to work could affect your concentration....

Actually, if his wife was doing her job, he would have been satisfied and wouldnt have to look elsewhere.

Birdzeye
05-07-2007, 06:35 PM
How dare you perpetuate half-truths and conjecture as 'fact'. You cannot HONESTLY say the GOP hasn't lowered taxes. It's impossible.

I was replying to OCA's earlier post where he asked, "How about removing the taxes that comprise most of the cost of a gallon of gas?"

I then asked when the GOP ever did THAT, i.e., repeal gasoline taxes. Then you had the unmitigated gall to disparage my honesty. What you did was truly despicable.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, if his wife was doing her job, he would have been satisfied and wouldnt have to look elsewhere.

true....but not sure i would trust that woman with that part of my body...she always looks hungry to my eye....

05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
true....but not sure i would trust that woman with that part of my body...she always looks hungry to my eye....

well i doubt he fulfills his responsibility as a husband either so of course she is hungry:p wow this conversation is going on a path i really dont want to contemplate...

OCA
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Unfounded rumour and innuendo.

OCA
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Production is down due to the summer formula change, and there were (two?) fires that closed two refineries for repairs. Supply down price up. All the gov could do is reduce taxes or stop this stupid back and forth seasonal formula stuff.

I've heard that a major part of the lates price spike is because the Dem's best friend Senor Chavez has now nationalized all the oil in Venezuela.

OCA
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM

*sigh*

prove it

zefrendylia
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Wrong. :slap: Refineries operated at 89% of capacity in April. That's the lowest in 10 years.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10057771

The refinery operators are purposely jacking the prices up because they can. Greed--simply greed.

OCA
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM

And regular is $3.69

Boy do you leave out a bunch of shit in your quest to twist things.

Gasoline Tax Rates by State
Note: The Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cpg

State Gas
(cpg) Diesel
(cpg) Notes
Alabama 18 19 Includes 2-cpg inspection fee. Counties can levy up to 5 cpg with approval of the state legislature. Cities and counties can levy additional tax—rates range from .5 cents per gallon to 4 cents per gallon. An additional 1 cpg UST/AST Trust Fund Environmental Transport Fee is levied at the wholesale level to cover remediation costs.
Alaska 8 8 There is a .06 per gallon tax credit for gasohol used during a mandated control period in a CO non-attainment area. The motor fuel tax rate for marine use is 5 cents/gallon; aviation gas is 4.7 cents/gallon; and jet fuel is 3.2 cents/gallon.
Arizona 18 18 Plus 1 cpg UST tax. Use class vehicles pay an additional 9 cpg on diesel (with an exemption for vehicles under 26,000 gw).
Arkansas 21.5 22.5 Plus .2-cpg environmental assurance fee assessed at the wholesale level for underground storage tank fund.
California 18 18 Other taxes include a 6% state sales tax and 1.25% county, plus additional local sales taxes and 1.2 cents per gallon state UST fee.
Colorado 22 20.5 --
Connecticut 25 26 Plus 5% gross earnings tax collected at wholesale.
Delaware 23 22 --
Dist. of Columbia 20 20 --
Florida 14.5 27.2 The statewide excise tax is 14.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 27.2 cpg for diesel. The 14.5 cents represents 10.5 cpg sales tax plus 4 cpg excise tax. Gasoline tax rate increased .2 cpg on 1/1/05. Tax rate changes annually based on CPI. Does not include 2.2-cpg tax/fee for environmental inspection purposes (5 cents per barrel tax for the Water Quality Assurance Trust Fund, 80 cents per barrel for the Inland Protection Trust Fund, 2 cents per barrel for the Coastal Protection Trust Fund and 1/8 cents per gallon for weights and measures inspection fee). Gasoline rate also does not include additional minimum 9.9 to 17.8 cent per gallon local option tax portion with the weighted average of 14.6 cents per gallon. Therefore, depending on where you live in Florida, your overall gasoline tax can vary from an average of 52.9 cents per gallon to 45 cents per gallon.
Georgia 7.5 7.5 Plus 4% sales tax.
Hawaii 16 16 Plus 4% sales tax and additional county taxes and 0.12-cpg environmental response tax.
Idaho 25 25 --
Illinois 19 21.5 Plus 6.25% sales tax and .3 % tax for underground storage tank fund, and other local sales and gasoline taxes. Diesel fuel taxes are 27.5 cpg for commercial highway users.
Indiana 18 16 Plus 6% sales tax and 0.008 per gallon inspection fee. For diesel, there is an 11-cpg surcharge paid on a quarterly self-reporting basis. Gasoline tax increased 3 cpg effective 1/1/03 per 2002
legislation.
Iowa 20 22.5 Plus 1 cpg UST fee. The gasoline tax for ethanol-blended gasoline is 19 cpg. Tax on gasoline is based on the amount of ethanol sold in the state. Ethanol sales review for 2004 will be complete 6/30/05 and the gasoline tax may be increased.
Kansas 24 26 Plus 1 cpg environmental fee. Gasoline tax increased 1 cents per gallon 7/1/03.
Kentucky 15 12 Variable based on 9% of the average wholesale price of gasoline with minimum price of $1.11 or 10 cpg. In addition, there is a supplemental highway user tax of 5 cpg for gasoline and 2 cpg for special fuels plus a 1.4-cpg underground storage tank fee. Commercial carriers pay surtax via a quarterly report of 2.2 cpg on gasoline and 5.2 cpg on special fuels.
Louisiana 20 20 --
Maine 25.2 26.3 Plus for gasoline: .07 cpg for Coastal and Inland Water fund, 1.38 cpg for Groundwater Fund and 40 cpg/10,000 gallons for Petroleum Market Share Act Plus for diesel: .07 cpg for Coastal and Inland Water Fund and .6 cpg for Groundwater Fund. Governor signed legislation in 2002 to index gasoline tax beginning 7/03. Tax increased .6 cpg 7/1/04.
Maryland 23.5 24.25 --
Massachusetts 23.5 23.5 Includes 2.5 cpg UST fund tax. UST tax increased from .5 cpg on 4/1/03.
Michigan 19 15 Plus 6% sales tax and 0.875 cpg for environmental regulation fee for refined petroleum fund.
Minnesota 20 20 Plus periodic 2 cpg UST cleanup fee at wholesale level which fluctuates depending on the fund balance. UST (Petro-fund) fee reinstated 11/1/04 and will run through February 2005.
Mississippi 18 18 Plus 0.4 cpg Environmental Protection Fee. In Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties there is an additional 3 cpg Seawall tax.
Missouri 17 17 Governor signed legislation in 2002 that included removal of the 2008 expiration date of the 6-cpg temporary gasoline tax increase adopted by voters in 1992.
Montana 27.75 28.5 Includes 0.75-cpg fee assessed at the pump to go toward the state cleanup fund.
Nebraska 25.4 25.4 Variable -- 12.5-cent base plus 12.9 cpg variable rate. Does not include 0.9-cpg release prevention fee for gasoline and 0.3-cpg release prevention fee for diesel and other fuels. Variable rate increased ..6 cents per gallon for the period from 1/1/05 to 6/30/05.
Nevada 23 27 Plus up to 10-cpg county tax on gasoline, 0.75-cpg-cleanup fee, and .055 cpg inspection fee.
New Hampshire 18 18 Plus 0.1 cpg for oil pollution control fund, 1.5 cpg for UST cleanup fund, 1 cpg for AST and bulk storage fund. Also 2 cpg for fuel oil and bulk fuel oil storage.
New Jersey 14.5 17.5 Includes 10.5-cpg excise tax plus 4 cpg Petroleum Products Gross Receipts Tax.
New Mexico 17 18 Plus 1 cpg loading fee.
New York 31.9 28.9 Includes 8 cents per gallon excise tax, Petroleum Business Tax of 15.2 cents per gallon for gasoline and 13.45 cents per gallon for diesel (rate increased .6 cpg 1/1/05). Statewide volume weighted average sales tax increased 6/1/04 to 8.3 for per gallon for gasoline and 7.1 cents per gallon for diesel. Also a spill tax of 0.3 cent per gallon is collected on gasoline and diesel and a petroleum testing fee of 0.05 cent per gallon is levied on gasoline. Does not include an estimated 7.9 cents per gallon for gasoline and 6.7 cents per gallon for diesel from weighted county average sales taxes that range from 3.25% to 4.75%.
North Carolina 26.6 26.6 Plus 0.25-cpg inspection tax. Rate increased 2 cpg from 24.6 cents per gallon to 26.6 cents per gallon 1/1/05. It consists of a 17.5 cpg flat rate plus a variable rate of 9.1 cpg wholesale component based on 7% average wholesale price component based on prices from 4/1/04 to 9/30/04 (the average price for that period was 130.34 cents per gallon).
North Dakota 21 21 --
Ohio 26 26 Per 2003 legislation, rate increases 6 cpg in 2-year increments. First increase took effect 6/30/03. 7/1/04 rate increased another 2 cents per gallon (to 26 cents per gallon). Surcharge of 3 cpg for commercial vehicles.
Oklahoma 16 13 Plus 1 cpg per gallon UST fee.
Oregon 24 24 --
Pennsylvania 31.1 35.1 Plus 1.1 cpg fee on gasoline going into USTs (rate increased 1/1/04 from 1 cpg to 1.1 cpg). Includes 18 cent per gallon oil company franchise tax on liquid fuels (primarily gasoline) and 23 cents per gallon oil company franchise tax on fuels (primarily diesel) and a 12 cents per gallon tax liquid fuels tax rate. (Oil company franchise tax rate increased from 14.2 cents per gallon to 18 cents per gallon for gasoline and from 19.2 cents per gallon to 23 cents per gallon for diesel on 1/1/05.) Franchise tax based on the average wholesale price of gasoline during a 1-year period. For 2004 the average price was $1.17, up from 91.9 in 2003.
Rhode Island 30 30 Includes 3-cpg wholesale distributor tax. Does not include 1 cent per gallon environmental protection regulatory fee for UST program. Tax increased 2 cpg on 7/1/02.
South Carolina 16 16 Plus a 0.25 cpg inspection fee for inspection program and 0.50-cpg environmental fee for UST cleanup. Assessed on all petroleum products at the wholesale level.
South Dakota 22 22 Plus a 2-cpg throughput tax on distributors.
Tennessee 20 18 Plus 1-cent special petroleum tax for gasoline and .4 cpg environmental assurance fee.
Texas 20 20 --
Utah 24.5 24.5 --
Vermont 17.5 26 Rate includes 1 cpg license fee for UST fund.
Virginia 17.5 16 Plus 0.6-cpg petroleum storage tank fee and 2% sales tax on motor fuels in localities that are part of the Northern Virginia Transportation District.
Washington 28 28 Per legislation passed in 2003, rate increased 5 cpg effective 7/1/03.
West Virginia 20.5 20.5 Plus a 5% variable wholesale tax, presently 6.5 cpg, based on statewide average wholesale price of gasoline with a minimum price of $1.30 per gallon. Variable wholesale tax increased 1/1/05 from 4.85 cpg to 6.5 cpg.
Wisconsin 32.1 32.1 Variable -- adjusted annually on 4/1. Rate calculated by multiplying the current rate by an inflation factor (annual change in the consumer price index.) Includes 3-cpg oil inspection fee on gasoline and diesel. Gasoline and diesel tax increased 0.6 cpg on 4/1/04.
Wyoming 14 14 Includes base rate of 13 cpg plus 1 cpg to the environmental cleanup costs.

The Federal Tax of 18.4 cents per gallon is collected in all states in addition to any state or local taxes on gasoline sales.

Gasoline taxes are levied in various ways in different states. Some states, such as Louisiana, levy a flat rate per gallon. Others charge a tax similar to a sales tax in that it applies to the monetary amount of the gasoline sold. Other states allow local communities to levy gasoline taxes in addition to any state taxes that might be levied.

Source: American Petroleum Institute 1/13/05

typomaniac
05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Fiction. And Hatred. That's what motivations your line of thinking.Just like everyone who got so enraged about Clinton's sex life... :rolleyes:

typomaniac
05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Unfounded rumour and innuendo.I don't want to hear about what you like to put innuendo. :eek:

darin
05-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Just like everyone who got so enraged about Clinton's sex life... :rolleyes:

we were enraged that the focker lied under oath about it ;)

05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Just like everyone who got so enraged about Clinton's sex life... :rolleyes:

You mean the sexual harassment and sexual assault charges that were against him? Are you saying we shouldnt have been enraged with a President misuses a position of power like that?

Are you saying we shouldnt be enraged when he obstructs justice to cover up his crimes?

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Boy do you leave out a bunch of shit in your quest to twist things.

Gasoline Tax Rates by State
Note: The Federal Gas Tax is 18.4 cpg

Boy did you waste a lotta bandwidth just being stupid.

According to your link, which I only scanned: the highest gas tax in the US is 45 cents/gallon. Or approx 15% of the retail price not more than 50% as you claimed.

Talk about covering up being WRONG with ten feet of piled high BS......

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Wrong. :slap: Refineries operated at 89% of capacity in April. That's the lowest in 10 years.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10057771

The refinery operators are purposely jacking the prices up because they can. Greed--simply greed.

your link and i quote seems not to have your 89% figrue

All Things Considered, May 7, 2007 · For the first time this year, the price of gasoline has topped $3 per gallon. Usually when prices at the pump spike, it is because of a big jump in the cost of crude oil. This time, there is another big factor: Refineries can't keep pace with demand.

refineries can't keep pace with demand......

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
we were enraged that the focker lied under oath about it ;)

I sincerely doubt that. The rightwing was hellbent on consuming any fortune to find ANYTHING on BC at all.

They got a semen stained dress for $50 million. wow.

He lied about a strictly personal issue. But that isn't what gave the GOPers a permanent woodie. They just finally got SOMETHING at all after all that salivating. Just a scrap but SOMETHING at least.

Meanwhile Americans didn't care. Clinton's popularity rose even as he was being impeached.

America still points and laughs at anybody who still fixates on the Clenis affair.

GOPers lie under oath everytime you can get one to testify under oath. See Libby/Gonzo for details.

You just pretend that the lying under oath thing mattered. Outta sheer desperation.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I sincerely doubt that. The rightwing was hellbent on consuming any fortune to find ANYTHING on BC at all.

He lied about a strictly personal issue. But that isn't what gave the GOPers a permanent woodie. They just finally got SOMETHING at all after all that salivating. Just a scrap but SOMETHING at least.

Meanwhile Americans didn't care. Clinton's popularity rose even as he was being impeached.

America still points and laughs at anybody who still fixates on the Clenis affair.

GOPers lie under oath everytime you can get one to testify under oath. See Libby/Gonzo for details.

You just pretend that the lying under oath thing mattered. Outta sheer desperation.

so is lying under oath a big deal or no?

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Usually when prices at the pump spike, it is because of a big jump in the cost of crude oil.

You will be astonished to discover how wrong you are. Oil prices have risen 1.25/gallon since 1999, yet gasoline prices rose $2.00/gallon.

The prices of gas and oil are controlled ENTIRELY by futures trading markets. They are in no way at all controlled by supply and demand.

For example there has been no supply exceeding demand scenario to cause oil prices to more than triple since 1999.

This time, there is another big factor: Refineries can't keep pace with demand.

False. Refineries on the west coast can't keep pace. The rest of the world still has a refining capacity surplus.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
You will be astonished to discover how wrong you are. Oil prices have risen 1.25/gallon since 1999, yet gasoline prices rose $2.00/gallon.

The prices of gas and oil are controlled ENTIRELY by futures trading markets. They are in no way at all controlled by supply and demand.

For example there has been no supply exceeding demand scenario to cause oil prices to more than triple since 1999.

False. Refineries on the west coast can't keep pace. The rest of the world still has a refining capacity surplus.

you are quoting things i didn't write.....was being sarcastic on the phrase i did write.....trying so hard to be right at the expense of being correct....

lily
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM

The only problem with that, is the excues change when ever there is a price hike. What we need is more refineries and Bush had a damned good idea when he proposed that closed bases be turned into refineries, only trouble is that idea never took shape.

lily
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM

If it would have kept us out of this war, I would have given Bush one myself!

typomaniac
05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
If it would have kept us out of this war, I would have given Bush one myself!That wouldn't just earn you rep: it'd earn you a Congressional Medal of Honor. :lmao:

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM

A poster named Vivian on another board sed she would give Bush a BJ on the capitol steps at high noon if things would return to the way they were under Clinton.

You are a TRUE patriot.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
you are quoting things i didn't write.....was being sarcastic on the phrase i did write.....trying so hard to be right at the expense of being correct....

sorry

lily
05-07-2007, 10:07 PM
:link: :link: :link: :link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111501842.html

-Cp
05-07-2007, 11:31 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111501842.html

This is the part I want to see a link for:

The Bush faction of the GOP is not only allowing Big Oil to gouge consumers; they're helping.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 11:37 PM

good one....guess monica wasn't that good....we invaded bosina and somalia sort of and pulled out of rawanda.....

Sitarro
05-08-2007, 12:19 AM

And regular is $3.69

sucks for you, I just bought regular for 2.77 per gallon.

Sitarro
05-08-2007, 12:37 AM

What about all of the dead people that happened to be very connected to the Clintons?

zefrendylia
05-08-2007, 01:21 AM
your link and i quote seems not to have your 89% figrue

All Things Considered, May 7, 2007 · For the first time this year, the price of gasoline has topped $3 per gallon. Usually when prices at the pump spike, it is because of a big jump in the cost of crude oil. This time, there is another big factor: Refineries can't keep pace with demand.

If you listen to the audio, it's said right in the beginning. In any case, yes "refineries can't keep pace with demand" because the refinery owners are artificially keeping production low to reduce supply, thereby increasing profits.

On another note, lying under oath, especially by an elected or appointed official should never be condoned. That being said it's important to look at what the lie was about. Indeed, Clinton's personal behavior, while morally reprehensible to some really did not resonate for the majority of the country. Was it publicly embarassing to come out on t.v. and in front of children, admit that you received a blow job? Sure. Is lying about it excusable? No. But really, the issue of sex between 2 consenting adults should never have been brought into the public realm in the first place. I'm not the biggest fan of Clinton, but it is clear Republicans were out to get him on the day he took office.

How is this different from Gonzalez and Libby? First of all, Gonzalez is in charge of a governmental institution that for all intents and purposes should not be influenced by politics. U.S. attorneys are there to execute the law fairly and without prejudice. When allegations arise over whether or not highly competent U.S. attorneys are removed for political reasons, it puts a shadow over the entire issue of "justice" forever no matter what party is in power. When the man in charge refuses to be candid and instead dodges questions with answers like "I don't recall" or "I have no recollection" or "I don't know what happened, but I know nothing bad was done" it is a slap in the face to the people of this country who he is supposed to serve.

In the case of Libby, it is very important to this country that our covert and national security agents in sensitive positions have their identities protected. It is important to our national security and it is important that these patriotic men and women be able to trust their government. When these identities are leaked for the purpose of political gain, it hurts all of us. What patriotic American would risk their life, if they suspected they could be sacrificed on a mere whim? Libby's conviction was the reason perjury and obstruction was created. It was a mere slap on the wrist, but what he did denied the People from ever knowing the full truth.

Birdzeye
05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
What about all of the dead people that happened to be very connected to the Clintons?

What are you trying to insinuate? That the Clintons murdered them? Only right wing conspiracy theorists have "found" evidence of that. :laugh2:

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
The only problem with that, is the excues change when ever there is a price hike. What we need is more refineries and Bush had a damned good idea when he proposed that closed bases be turned into refineries, only trouble is that idea never took shape.

Yes we need more refineries, but, does it make sense to build more if we are serious about alternatives? Who pays for them? The oil companies should, and IMO one reason they aren't is because alternatives are on the horizon. It wouldn't be a wise business move to invest in more capacity for a produce that may soon become a dinosaur...Hehehehe...dinosaur...:laugh2:

My guess is that behind the scenes oil companies are investing in future energy resources, at least I hope so.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:02 AM

I think after spending 50 million dollars if there were anything to those conspiracy theories something more than a BJ would have been found.....at least I hope so. If not Starr was a complete failure.

Hagbard Celine
05-08-2007, 11:06 AM
yes.....how did he fare in rawanda?....seems to be a trend....

How has Bush done in Iraq? I see another trend. Seems Americans like to start wars they don't know how to finish.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes we need more refineries, but, does it make sense to build more if we are serious about alternatives? Who pays for them? The oil companies should, and IMO one reason they aren't is because alternatives are on the horizon. It wouldn't be a wise business move to invest in more capacity for a produce that may soon become a dinosaur...Hehehehe...dinosaur...:laugh2:

My guess is that behind the scenes oil companies are investing in future energy resources, at least I hope so.

I don't want to get into a name calling fest, but Mr. P you don't come off as much of a Pollyannia. Why on earth would the oil companies be even remotely interested in alternative energy when they are makinge the highest profit in recorded history and are getting tax breaks to boot?

As I said, Bush had a darned good idea about the closed army bases. It would have brought back life into a dying economy when the bases closed, so would the cities that hosted them. It would bring "fresh blood" into the communities. Bush pushes for things that he strongly believes in, makes me wonder why not this?

lily
05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
How has Bush done in Iraq? I see another trend. Seems Americans like to start wars they don't know how to finish.

Which brings us to Afghanistan

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't want to get into a name calling fest, but Mr. P you don't come off as much of a Pollyannia. Why on earth would the oil companies be even remotely interested in alternative energy when they are makinge the highest profit in recorded history and are getting tax breaks to boot?

As I said, Bush had a darned good idea about the closed army bases. It would have brought back life into a dying economy when the bases closed, so would the cities that hosted them. It would bring "fresh blood" into the communities. Bush pushes for things that he strongly believes in, makes me wonder why not this?

Because alternatives are coming and they are in the business of energy. Simple survival.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Because alternatives are coming and they are in the business of energy. Simple survival.

Ok...wake me up when that actually happens.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
This is the part I want to see a link for:What possible reason could there be to keep an "energy task force" meeting secret, if its purpose was NOT to gouge consumers? :poke:

Please pull your head out of the sand; I'm sure you don't look all that ugly! :laugh2:

lily
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
What possible reason could there be to keep an "energy task force" meeting secret, if its purpose was NOT to gouge consumers? :poke:

Please pull your head out of the sand; I'm sure you don't look all that ugly! :laugh2:

Which seems to be working very well!

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Ok...wake me up when that actually happens.

Hell NO! You sleep while we fix the problems, libs will only fuck it up.:poke:

Birdzeye
05-08-2007, 12:10 PM

I didn't know Bush and Cheney were libs. :coffee:

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I didn't know Bush and Cheney were libs. :coffee:

Did I mention either?

Birdzeye
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Did I mention either?

No, you only said something about the libs fucking "it" up. I took it from there. :coffee:

lily
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Well then.........um......wouldn't you want libs to be sleeping if we will only fuck it up? I also don't see how this turned into a "lib" problem, when the secret meetings, the tax breaks and the supposed price gouging happened on your watch? Seems we would be the solution you would be begging for.

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Well then.........um......wouldn't you want libs to be sleeping if we will only fuck it up? I also don't see how this turned into a "lib" problem, when the secret meetings, the tax breaks and the supposed price gouging happened on your watch? Seems we would be the solution you would be begging for.
Start with the up-roar about new drilling for oil here..Go to sleep now, when you wake everything will be fine.

lily
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Start with the up-roar about new drilling for oil here..Go to sleep now, when you wake everything will be fine.

I've already given my opinion on the drilling for oil, so I guess I can rest now.:poke:

05-08-2007, 01:54 PM

because they are in the energy business and the only way to survive in such a business is to be on the cutting edge of technology and energy production.

05-08-2007, 01:57 PM
What possible reason could there be to keep an "energy task force" meeting secret, if its purpose was NOT to gouge consumers? :poke:

same reason there is to keep any other meeting on national policy secret.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
same reason there is to keep any other meeting on national policy secret.:lame2:

Unless there are security issues, there is NO reason to keep any meeting on national policy secret.

Are oil company profits a matter of national security?

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
:lame2:

Unless there are security issues, there is NO reason to keep any meeting on national policy secret.

Are oil company profits a matter of national security?
Nope tis why they're public. geezzzz

lily
05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
because they are in the energy business and the only way to survive in such a business is to be on the cutting edge of technology and energy production.

Well as I said, I see no proof that they are even close to trying and still stand by my statement of why should they?

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Nope tis why they're public. geezzzzMy point exactly. Thanks, P.

05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Nope tis why they're public. geezzzz

And the public record shows they only make 9 cents off every gallon sold and thats after all the work they do to produce the gasoline for us. a measly 9 cents really isnt that much. Especially when the government does nothing to produce gasoline and gets nearly a dollar.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
And the public record shows they only make 9 cents off every gallon sold and thats after all the work they do to produce the gasoline for us. a measly 9 cents really isnt that much. Especially when the government does nothing to produce gasoline and gets nearly a dollar.Poor things. :boohoo:

Makes you wonder how they can afford to pay $400 million into a CEO's retirement package. :poke:

Birdzeye
05-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Poor things. :boohoo:

Makes you wonder how they can afford to pay $400 million into a CEO's retirement package. :poke:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Poor things. :boohoo:

Volume. Don't like how they distribute the income? Don't buy the product, Start walking.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Volume. Don't like how they distribute the income? Don't buy the product, Start walking.1. How do you think everything else we buy gets to the stores?
2. On trucks, mostly.
3. Trucks burn gasoline.
4. So your proposed "solution" would be to buy nothing whatsoever.
5. That makes your entire post specious.

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
1. How do you think everything else we buy gets to the stores?
2. On trucks, mostly.
3. Trucks burn gasoline.
4. So your proposed "solution" would be to buy nothing whatsoever.
5. That makes your entire post specious.

I was addressing your lame ass whining about ceo pay..Not the reality of transportation which everyone understands, or should.

Just do your small part. You'll feel better.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I was addressing your lame ass whining about ceo pay..Not the reality of transportation which everyone understands, or should.

Just do your small part. You'll feel better.You still haven't explained how a company that keeps its books honestly can pay $400 mil to one employee. "Volume" ain't the answer.

And how can I feel better if I never buy anything? I'll get hungry! :(

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 06:17 PM
You still haven't explained how a company that keeps its books honestly can pay $400 mil to one employee. "Volume" ain't the answer.

I don't need to explain it. I said walk, not go hungry, but if that's what you wanna do, go for it.
Hey, it would be a benefit..You can walk in protest of ceo pay and lose some fat off yer ass at the same time...

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't need to explain it. I said walk, not go hungry, but if that's what you wanna do, go for it.
Hey, it would be a benefit..You can walk in protest of ceo pay and lose some fat off yer ass at the same time...For someone who's never seen my ass, you seem awfully interested in it. :fart:

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
For someone who's never seen my ass, you seem awfully interested in it. :fart:

Not at all, butt I'm guessing some guys a bit south of you are. :laugh2:

5stringJeff
05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
You still haven't explained how a company that keeps its books honestly can pay $400 mil to one employee. "Volume" ain't the answer.

What ought a CEO be worth? The CEO runs the entire company. What that company does, or fails to do, is the responsibility of the CEO. If the Board of Directors feels that he deserves $400M, that's their decision. Typically, that kind of salary ensures that the CEO does what he can to keep profits high, so the huge salary is, in a way, an investment in the company.

typomaniac
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
What ought a CEO be worth? The CEO runs the entire company. What that company does, or fails to do, is the responsibility of the CEO. If the Board of Directors feels that he deserves $400M, that's their decision. Typically, that kind of salary ensures that the CEO does what he can to keep profits high, so the huge salary is, in a way, an investment in the company.I won't get too deeply into this in a thread about gas prices, but a CEO should never be paid more than (s)he single-handedly increases the company's profits by.

I doubt that it's humanly possible for any lone individual to boost any company's profits by $400 million.

Yurt
05-08-2007, 07:51 PM

So Clinton actually cared more about his "presidency" than national security?

Can I now blame any mistake that Bush might make on the calls for his impeachment. There is even a thread about on this board...

Do you have a "next" move?

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I won't get too deeply into this in a thread about gas prices, but a CEO should never be paid more than (s)he single-handedly increases the company's profits by.

I doubt that it's humanly possible for any lone individual to boost any company's profits by $400 million.

No, but it is possible for one individual to make a decision that does. I've seen it happen.

Fountainhead
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM

Republicans in power = fat cats allow BIG OIL allowed to SCREW the consumer = MONUMENTAL PROFITS as the American oil cartel is allowed to behave like a monopoly.

Democrats in power = Global Warming, alternative energy, NO NEW refineries, NO NEW oil drilling = MONUMENTAL PROFITS as gasoline becomes more scarce

I keep buying oil stock ... and it keeps making GIANT profits for me.

No ... the Dem's aren't killing-off BIG OIL with environmental regulation ... they're just making it RICHER !!

Bwaaahahahahahaha ha ha

BIG OIL WINS ... no matter who is in power.