PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Renovation

jimnyc
02-22-2011, 06:16 AM
In our home there is a bathroom upstairs and a bathroom downstairs just below the other. We had a pretty good water leak that we couldn't fix. The ceiling in the downstairs bathroom would drip often and several plumbers later, a toilet upstairs and caulking of the tub - the leak still existed. We decided to kill 2 birds... and get the entire bathroom renovated downstairs and the leak fixed in the process.

Our contractor first ordered a 20yd dumpster to be placed in our driveway. The weight limitation on this dumpster is 7 tons. I was like "Damn, do they think my bathroom is built out of steel?"

They demolished the downstairs bathroom. Ceiling, all 4 walls and the floor. They find a metal pipe that had a slice in it, so water from where the shower/tub drained upstairs slowly allowed a little water to leak onto the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom. Problem solved, now just rebuild the bathroom to the wifey's specs, as that one is hers and the upstairs is mine.

Ok, now try to grasp how much the weight of this was... The room is tiny, about 5'-6' wide and about 8'-9' long, with a typical height. So they placed all the drywall in the dumpster. Only the ceiling was wet, but lets assume it was ALL wet:

Drywall - MAXIMUM of about 800lbs (and probably MUCH less)
Wood beams, even though most stayed, we had a few weak ones replaced. Probably about 100lbs, but lets be fair and state 500lbs.
Cast iron tub. They are generally 300-500lbs, but lets just say 1000lbs. The sink is less than 100lbs but we'll stick with that number. Hell, lets just add on another 2000lbs for the little things, like nails, small supplies, empty containers.... I just want to ensure I am WAY over with my estimate.

So that's about 4300lbs (but was probably about 2000). While the dumpster was here I tossed a few regular kitchen garbage bags in there as well as some recyclables. Probably less than 100lbs worth of personal stuff, but lets exaggerate and say 1000lbs. That brings us to 5300lbs.

Let's also exaggerate and assume I'm forgetting something and add another 2000lbs just for shits and giggles. That would bring us to 7300lbs. We should be fine, right? I mean, there is a 7 ton limit that should be 14,000lbs. I added THOUSANDS of pounds just for the hell of it, to show my point on the weight we are dealing with here.

So the company came and picked up the dumpster last Thursday. They called me yesterday to not only state that I went over the 7 ton limit (14,000lbs) - but that I was over by 7 more tons! In other words, my tiny bathroom renovation, a bunch of kitchen garbage bags and typical recyclables (small cans and plastics) - and they are stating that this all came to about 28,000lbs!!! ARE THEY FUCKING NUTS?????

They went to an "independent weigh station" after leaving here and had the truck weighed on the way in, and again after unloading the container - and that's how they calculate the net weight of the contents. So I have no choice but to pay as I cannot argue with a scale....

BUT....

I notice the form from the weigh station was only signed by the driver, and not by the official known as the "weighmaster" who certifies the accuracy. Section 16, part 195, #3 of New York State law states:

3. Each weight ticket issued by a weighmaster shall contain the date,
full signature and license number of the weighmaster.

Well, the paperwork I was given has no signature and no license number. I'm of the belief that these crooks either outright printed this false paperwork at their offices, or have a friend at the weigh station that helped them "up the ante" a bit.

So they have my money, but some serious complaints will be filed with the state today and I hope to get an investigation started. It's not even the money, it's the principle that they would think I would believe that my tiny bathroom walls and parts would weigh 14 f-ing tons.

Kathianne
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Seems like this happens alot. Remember last year when I had the horrible toilet flood? Well doesn't happen when the one paying the contractors is a big insurance company. They get in, get the job done, and get out.

Might be a good idea to get the names of demolition, installers, etc., from insurance company, whether or not it's covered. Might as well use the connection.

Gaffer
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
My guess is they have the forms in their office and never went near a weight station. My second guess is they weight the truck and container then weighed the truck minus the container. The container alone probably weighs 7 tons itself. Go get em Jim, and get your money back.

Said1
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
In our home there is a bathroom upstairs and a bathroom downstairs just below the other. We had a pretty good water leak that we couldn't fix. The ceiling in the downstairs bathroom would drip often and several plumbers later, a toilet upstairs and caulking of the tub - the leak still existed. We decided to kill 2 birds... and get the entire bathroom renovated downstairs and the leak fixed in the process.

Our contractor first ordered a 20yd dumpster to be placed in our driveway. The weight limitation on this dumpster is 7 tons. I was like "Damn, do they think my bathroom is built out of steel?"

They demolished the downstairs bathroom. Ceiling, all 4 walls and the floor. They find a metal pipe that had a slice in it, so water from where the shower/tub drained upstairs slowly allowed a little water to leak onto the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom. Problem solved, now just rebuild the bathroom to the wifey's specs, as that one is hers and the upstairs is mine.

Ok, now try to grasp how much the weight of this was... The room is tiny, about 5'-6' wide and about 8'-9' long, with a typical height. So they placed all the drywall in the dumpster. Only the ceiling was wet, but lets assume it was ALL wet:

Drywall - MAXIMUM of about 800lbs (and probably MUCH less)
Wood beams, even though most stayed, we had a few weak ones replaced. Probably about 100lbs, but lets be fair and state 500lbs.
Cast iron tub. They are generally 300-500lbs, but lets just say 1000lbs. The sink is less than 100lbs but we'll stick with that number. Hell, lets just add on another 2000lbs for the little things, like nails, small supplies, empty containers.... I just want to ensure I am WAY over with my estimate.

So that's about 4300lbs (but was probably about 2000). While the dumpster was here I tossed a few regular kitchen garbage bags in there as well as some recyclables. Probably less than 100lbs worth of personal stuff, but lets exaggerate and say 1000lbs. That brings us to 5300lbs.

Let's also exaggerate and assume I'm forgetting something and add another 2000lbs just for shits and giggles. That would bring us to 7300lbs. We should be fine, right? I mean, there is a 7 ton limit that should be 14,000lbs. I added THOUSANDS of pounds just for the hell of it, to show my point on the weight we are dealing with here.

So the company came and picked up the dumpster last Thursday. They called me yesterday to not only state that I went over the 7 ton limit (14,000lbs) - but that I was over by 7 more tons! In other words, my tiny bathroom renovation, a bunch of kitchen garbage bags and typical recyclables (small cans and plastics) - and they are stating that this all came to about 28,000lbs!!! ARE THEY FUCKING NUTS?????

They went to an "independent weigh station" after leaving here and had the truck weighed on the way in, and again after unloading the container - and that's how they calculate the net weight of the contents. So I have no choice but to pay as I cannot argue with a scale....

BUT....

I notice the form from the weigh station was only signed by the driver, and not by the official known as the "weighmaster" who certifies the accuracy. Section 16, part 195, #3 of New York State law states:

3. Each weight ticket issued by a weighmaster shall contain the date,
full signature and license number of the weighmaster.

Well, the paperwork I was given has no signature and no license number. I'm of the belief that these crooks either outright printed this false paperwork at their offices, or have a friend at the weigh station that helped them "up the ante" a bit.

So they have my money, but some serious complaints will be filed with the state today and I hope to get an investigation started. It's not even the money, it's the principle that they would think I would believe that my tiny bathroom walls and parts would weigh 14 f-ing tons.

Good luck, I hope 'Vinney the Nose" doesn't show up to smooth things over with your knee caps. :laugh2:

jimnyc
02-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Whouda thunk it? The department of agriculture is the entity that oversees weights and measures?

I tried as politely as I could yesterday to speak with the carting company and the weigh station. Both were nasty, loud and abusive idiots. I explained that the paperwork was not up to NYS law and they thumbed their noses at me.

Well, the director of the weights and measures called me himself after I filed my complaint. Agents will be visiting both locations within the next 48hrs. Unfortunately, they cannot do anything about getting my money returned, but they can supply me with a report that the paperwork was not up to NYS specifications and therefore the weight cannot be properly validated. I would likely then need to bring them to small claims if I wanted my money back. With the amount of fines they will receive for this can be ASTRONOMICAL, I'm confident they won't willingly refund me after this. In fact, I am a little worried that what Said1 said might be closer to reality!!

The funny part was when I explained everything to the director. When he heard it was a bathroom renovation that totaled 14 tons he wanted to know if I lived at the Playboy Mansion! Even he laughed at 14tons without even knowing anything about the room!

jon_forward
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Geudo Geudo and Co. will soon be paying jimnyc a late night visit.:laugh:

NightTrain
02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Jim, is it possible that maybe a few neighbors dumped some stuff in that dumpster in the middle of the night?

I agree that it sounds fishy and they're padding the bill, but dumpsters have been abused by passersby and neighbors. Hell, back when I worked at a freight company I caught a guy dumping old appliances in the company dumpsters out back.

namvet
02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
a few years back I had a leaky shut off valve under the kit sink. it dripped thru down stairs and damaged a textured ceiling in my rec room.
the valve was the screw handle type. learned my lesson. had them all replaced with lever type valves.