View Full Version : PA Judge Convicted in 'Kids for Cash' Scheme

revelarts
02-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Pennsylvania Judge Convicted in Alleged 'Kids for Cash' Scheme
Judge Mark Ciavarella Could Face Over 10 Years in Prison for Racketeering

Pennsylvania Judge Convicted in Alleged ‘Kids for Cash’ Scheme
Published on 02-22-2011

Source: ABCNews

A former juvenile court judge in Pennsylvania could face more than 10 years in prison after being convicted in what prosecutors called a “kids for cash” scheme.

Prosecutors say former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella used children as pawns, locking them up unjustly in a plot to get rich. Ciavarella is accused of taking nearly $1 million in kickbacks from owners of private detention centers in exchange for placing juvenile defendants at their facilities, often for minor crimes. Ciavarella claims that the payment he received from a developer of the PA Child Care facility was legal and denies that he ever incarcerated kids for money.
“Absolutely never took a dime to send a kid anywhere,” said Ciavarella. ...

story and Video here
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mark-ciavarella-pa-juvenile-court-judge-convicted-alleged/story?id=12965182

multiple videos about this... 20/20 episode preview on this case.
Kids rushed to Jail over BS
4000 of his cases dismissed now.

This is not the only case of this 1st that made it onto nat'l news.

Florida social services has 1000s of "missing" children. many suspect they've been sent into child sex rings.

In Texas, Children -boys- sent 100s of miles away from their homes to a desert juvenile prison Where Child predators where invited to "party" with the children. Went on for YEARS, it still may be going on.
------------------------

Here's the thing that goes to the a question I get Often.
There where people in the court room EVERYDAY.
court workers
Police
Stenographers
Lawyers
Probation officers

BUT NO ONE SPOKE UP.
NO ONE SPOKE UP!
NO ONE BLEW THE WHISTLE.

It took 1 person.
I'm sure people said "are you telling me a judge is sending kids to jail for money? , someone would have said something? he's a good man... that would mean so many people would have to keep their mouths shut I don't believe in consp..."

Thankfully the FBI did there jobs.
If the 1 or 2 FBI investigators had dropped the ball what would've happened.

krisy
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I remember this story...what a nightmare

Palin Rider
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
This is what happens when you privatize jails.

CSM
02-27-2011, 11:06 AM
This is what happens when you privatize jails.

No, ths is what happens when you have judges that are corrupt and/or ignore the law, the state and federal Constitutions.

revelarts
02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Money is involved either way.

Prisons are built by private companies, Paid for by public dollars.
Those contracts have corrupted state legislators, an others down the line as well.
$ do corrupt, we all know it's an incentive.
$$ for prisoners in cells is going to give you more prisoners.
If a cop is given a $ bonus for every ticket given, you'll get more tickets. lets be real here.

The Judge had more incentive to put people in jail than to follow the law.
the Judge broke his oaths and personal integrity but the system was skewed to created a temptation when there was no need for 1.