PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war effort 'hampering' US tornado recovery

stephanie
05-07-2007, 06:46 PM
WELL....Who didn't see this coming???:poke:

Last Update: Tuesday, May 8, 2007. 8:00am (AEST)

Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius says a shortage of trucks, helicopters and other equipment - all sent to the war in Iraq - has hampered recovery in a US town obliterated by a tornado.

"There is no doubt at all that this will slow down and hamper the recovery," Governor Sebelius, a Democrat, said in Kansas, where officials said the statewide death toll had risen to 12.

"Not having this equipment in place all over the state is a huge handicap."

The tornado that devastated Greensburg, 175 kilometres west of Wichita, started a weekend of violent weather in Kansas, a state in the heart of the central United States region known as "Tornado Alley."

Ten died in Greensburg, a town of 1,600 people. An 11th died in nearby Pratt County and a 12th in a separate tornado in Ottawa County.

The twisters were accompanied by widespread flooding on Sunday and Monday (local time) that required more than 200 water rescues and closed many roads and shuttered several schools in another part of the state.

"We're getting pounded in Kansas. We have the need for National Guard in two different parts of our state now. This is really going to be a problem," Governor Sebelius said.

She and other Democratic governors earlier this year assailed the Republican Bush administration for the strains they said the war had placed on their states' National Guardsmen, who are frequently mobilised for state emergencies.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200705/s1916800.htm

05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
is there anything they are not going to blame Bush's activities in Iraq for?

manu1959
05-07-2007, 06:54 PM

i got $100 on paris hilton's drunk driving arrest............

Trigg
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM

I don't know that she really is blaiming Bush.

People need to understand how far apart the towns in Kansas really are. There is a town and then 50 miles away another town, with nothing but free range in between.

So yes, national guardsman would be a huge help to these people. Realize the hospital was destroyed and the closest hosp. was Dodge (50 miles away).

Little-Acorn
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Has Ms. Sebelius mentioned yet, that more than 40% of all the personal income in the U.S., is taken as taxes? And that NONE of it is available for helping the people of her state recover from the tornadoes? Our governments spend it all on entitlements, Social Security, Welfare, etc... and the military takes a relatively small portion of that spending, even with the Iraq war on.

Has Ms. Sebelius figured out how much more would be available to help the residents of Kansas, if total tax rates were a more reasonable 10% instead of more than 40%?

Let me know when she makes THAT announcement.

I'm not holding my breath.

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't know that she really is blaiming Bush.

People need to understand how far apart the towns in Kansas really are. There is a town and then 50 miles away another town, with nothing but free range in between.

So yes, national guardsman would be a huge help to these people. Realize the hospital was destroyed and the closest hosp. was Dodge (50 miles away).

The PEOPLE of Kansas and neighboring states will help Greensberg FAR more than any guard unit. Hide and watch. It will also be of note to watch all those who DO NOT LIFT A FINGER.

Trigg
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
The PEOPLE of Kansas and neighboring states will help Greensberg FAR more than any guard unit. Hide and watch. It will also be of note to watch all those who DO NOT LIFT A FINGER.

My dad has cousins who live (lived) in Greensburg. I do hope they rebuild.

But I also realize how hard it will be for them since the towns are so far apart and there are so few people out there these days.

stephanie
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
National Guard Readiness
May 7th, 2007 by Office of the Speaker
The war in Iraq has had a serious impact on the National Guard and its ability to protect and assist Americans in times of disaster here at home. On Friday May 4th, a massive tornado ripped through the town of Greensburg, Kansas killing at least 10 people and leaving the town in ruins. Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius told the media that the recovery effort has been hampered by the National Guard’s lack of equipment as a result of the Iraq war:

“Well, states all over the country are not only missing personnel, National Guard troops are — about 40 percent of the troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan — but we’re missing the equipment. When the troops get deployed, the equipment goes with them. So, here in Kansas, about 50 percent of our trucks are gone. We need trucks. We’re missing Humvees, we’re missing all kinds of equipment that can help us respond to this kind of emergency.” [CNN, 5/7/07]

The warnings about National Guard readiness have been clear – states are not as ready as they should be to respond to natural disasters and other emergencies here at home. That is why House Democrats included $2 billion, not requested by the President in the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans’ Health, and Iraq Accountability Act for a new Strategic Reserve Readiness Fund of which $1 billion is for Army National Guard equipment shortfalls. Unfortunately, the President vetoed this bill, along with this additional funding for the Army National Guard.

GAO Report, January 2007
“The high use of the National Guard for federal overseas missions has reduced equipment available for its state-led domestic missions, at the same time it faces an expanded array of threats at home.” [GAO, “Reserve Forces: Actions Needed to Identify National Guard Domestic Equipment Requirements and Readiness,” January 2007]

Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum, Chief, National Guard Bureau
“They (the governors) are rightfully concerned that while the personnel part of the Guard has never been better, never been more ready, the equipment piece to the National Guard back here at home has never been less ready, and they are trying to resolve that obvious disconnect…The message is clear: What we have in the budget does not produce the level of readiness that they feel comfortable with.” [Stateline.org; 2/25/07]

North Carolina Governor Michael Easley, Co-lead on National Guard issues for the National Governors Association
“We the governors rely on the Guard to respond to natural disasters, a pandemic or terrorist attack…Currently, we don’t have the manpower or the equipment to perform that dual role” of responding to both state and federal needs. [Los Angeles Times, 2/25/07]

Maj. Gen. Arnold Punaro, Chairman of the Commission on the National Guard and Reserves
“Well, right now, we’re not prepared. We are not prepared for the threats this nation faces here at home. And because in this business you can’t be half-ready or half-prepared, you’re either ready or you aren’t.” [PBS, NewsHour, March 1, 2007]

Maj. Gen. R. Martin Umbarger, Head of the Indiana National Guard
“What keeps me up at night is, I think I am able to surge . . . for the normal disaster, but if I needed to deploy every bit of my soldiers and airmen, I know for a fact I do not have enough equipment.” [Washington Post, 3/2/07]

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider, Spokesman for the Louisiana National Guard
“We are really concerned about vehicles…We would have enough for a small-scale issue . . . maybe a Category 1 tropical storm we could handle — an event that doesn’t involve massive flooding or massive search and rescue.”[Washington Post, 3/2/07]

Col. Robert Simpson, Director of the Joint Staff for the Virginia National Guard
In the event of “a very large . . . chemical, biological or nuclear incident in the national capital region, I would need every truck I was authorized, and we don’t have that…We are definitely short trucks, all wheeled vehicles,” as well as radios, bulldozers and other gear. [Washington Post, 3/2/07]

This entry was posted on Monday, May 7th, 2007 at 3:49 pm by Office of the Speaker and is filed under Real Security, Iraq. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM

The national guard would have ALREADY helped those people in need in Kansas if they were still IN Kansas instead of in Iraq.

After the flood and roads are cleared they won't need much help, but the emergency services demand was huge compared to Kansas population.

When I suggest that we need the nat guard here to defend our own nation nobody sees it.

DO YOU SEE IT NOW!

stephanie
05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
What I'm finding Very Pathetic...

Is that the media and the Democrats, are using any natural disaster and the people who are suffering from them....As a way to somehow blame it on President Bush...

:lame2:

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Is that the media and the Democrats, are using any natural disaster and the people who are suffering from them....As a way to somehow blame it on President Bush...

They prefer to call it tactics. Politicans prefer control to results.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 08:50 PM

What is even more pathetic is that nobody but you has mentioned Bush in the thread or lead article.

The "blame" has been assigned to the personel and resource vacuum of Iraq.

Funny you would falsely perceive blame of Bush when none occured. or is that pathetic?

stephanie
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
What is even more pathetic is that nobody but you has mentioned Bush in the thread or lead article.

Funny you would falsely perceive blame of Bush when none occured. or is that pathetic?

Yeaaaaaaaaaah right...:coffee:

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaah right...:coffee:

Who mentioned Bush other than you?

Dilloduck
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Who mentioned Bush other than you?

:lame2: Whose "fault" is it that the guard is in Iraq, Mr. Cannon? Stephanie just ate your lunch. :laugh2:

Gunny
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
The national guard would have ALREADY helped those people in need in Kansas if they were still IN Kansas instead of in Iraq.

After the flood and roads are cleared they won't need much help, but the emergency services demand was huge compared to Kansas population.

When I suggest that we need the nat guard here to defend our own nation nobody sees it.

DO YOU SEE IT NOW!

My honest opinion ... I don't believe it is right to deploy the National Guard outside the US. That's not what Guardsmen sign up for.

stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
My honest opinion ... I don't believe it is right to deploy the National Guard outside the US. That's not what Guardsmen sign up for.

I've been wanting to hear some military opinions on this..

I've been hearing it both way's...

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
:lame2: Whose "fault" is it that the guard is in Iraq, Mr. Cannon? Stephanie just ate your lunch. :laugh2:

actually the dog ate my lunch, and Steph is imagining boogiemen.

stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
actually the dog ate my lunch, and Steph is imagining boogiemen.

:slap:

Gunny
05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I've been wanting to hear some military opinions on this..

I've been hearing it both way's...

The National Guard is the state militia. The state governor is the militia's commander in chief.

The federal government at some point decided it could usurp the state's authority and federalize the militia and incorporate them into the regular Army.

Legally, they can do it. Ideally, they should not be allowed to take away a state's means of self defense and/or emergency response, nor force people to serve the US Army who joined to serve only their state.

stephanie
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
The National Guard is the state militia. The state governor is the militia's commander in chief.

The federal government at some point decided it could usurp the state's authority and federalize the militia and incorporate them into the regular Army.

Legally, they can do it. Ideally, they should not be allowed to take away a state's means of self defense and/or emergency response, nor force people to serve the US Army who joined to serve only their state.

Thank you Gunny..
:salute:

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM

We agree 90-100%.

If a real emergency occured, like a foreign invasion I would want the prez to commandeer the Guard.

Yurt
05-07-2007, 10:54 PM

That is my understanding as well. Though I heard that certain war time powers are granted to the CIC to order them overseas, and I have always wondered if Iraq/Afgan actually fit the bill.

diuretic
05-07-2007, 11:17 PM
:slap:

I'm not getting into this, I just wanted to say I like that smilie.

Carry on, sorry.

theHawk
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
This is a very bad situation we have now with our National Guards. Most of their equipment has been left in Iraq or destroyed and now most of our guard units are operating with a fraction of the equipment they need to combat disasters like this. If the Federal government needs more equipment/troops then they should get their own instead of scavenging the Guard.

5stringJeff
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
This is a very bad situation we have now with our National Guards. Most of their equipment has been left in Iraq or destroyed and now most of our guard units are operating with a fraction of the equipment they need to combat disasters like this. If the Federal government needs more equipment/troops then they should get their own instead of scavenging the Guard.

The Federal gov't appropriated money to the Guard to buy most of that equipment, so it's technically theirs for the taking. But I agree that the National Guard is way overstretched. It ought to be guarding our nation, not someone else's.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Someone in FEMA should move some of those trailers they bought and never used for the people in New Orleans after the Katrina disaster up to Kansas for those folks up there. Ah, wait! That makes too much sense. Nevermind.

Doniston
05-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Someone in FEMA should move some of those trailers they bought and never used for the people in New Orleans after the Katrina disaster up to Kansas for those folks up there. Ah, wait! That makes too much sense. Nevermind.

They've already started doing so. but Ref the OP, I wonder if Bush realizes that?

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM

They are.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-09-2007, 12:23 AM
They are.

Gee. Sorry, guys. I see a lot of talk about bringing in a few trailers full of food and water but nothing about moving any trailers that are sitting empty that were mobilized for the Katrina disaster and moving some of them to Kansas. The FEMA web site doesn't have it. Yahoo News, AP, and Reuters don't have it. As of 12:05am on the 8th of May, I don't see where trailers are being provided to Kansas residents from Katrina's unused horde.

Enlighten me. Bring that link on down.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 12:45 AM

I agree. When the regular standing, active duty Army got short handed, I always thought that's what the "reserves" were for. NOT the gaurd. That's why we have an eight year commitment. If we can't get past this short handed bologna, then we ought to have another draft.

And what's this...

The tornado that devastated Greensburg, 175 kilometres west of Wichita,

... don't we say "miles" here in America?

Samantha
05-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Funny you would falsely perceive blame of Bush when none occured. or is that pathetic?Interesting how they make things up about liberals isn't it? I mean making up an argument, arguing both sides, instead of discussing what your opposition side actually says, is a little nutty!

Legally, they can do it. Ideally, they should not be allowed to take away a state's means of self defense and/or emergency response, nor force people to serve the US Army who joined to serve only their state.Well said.

Thank you Gunny..
:salute:Um, I think he is disagreeing with you? You seem to be defending the fact that the National Guard is weakened here in the USA. You said

This is a very bad situation we have now with our National Guards. Most of their equipment has been left in Iraq or destroyed and now most of our guard units are operating with a fraction of the equipment they need to combat disasters like this. If the Federal government needs more equipment/troops then they should get their own instead of scavenging the Guard.Spot on.

The Federal gov't appropriated money to the Guard to buy most of that equipment, so it's technically theirs for the taking. But I agree that the National Guard is way overstretched. It ought to be guarding our nation, not someone else's.Spot on.

Doniston
05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Gee. Sorry, guys. I see a lot of talk about bringing in a few trailers full of food and water but nothing about moving any trailers that are sitting empty that were mobilized for the Katrina disaster and moving some of them to Kansas. The FEMA web site doesn't have it. Yahoo News, AP, and Reuters don't have it. As of 12:05am on the 8th of May, I don't see where trailers are being provided to Kansas residents from Katrina's unused horde.

Enlighten me. Bring that link on down.

possible goof on my part. I have heard tha Fema has alredy delivered at least one trailer to the site. but it didn't say it was from New Orleans. besides as I recall those unused trailiers are in such bad shape they need to be destroyed.

Gunny
05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
We agree 90-100%.

If a real emergency occured, like a foreign invasion I would want the prez to commandeer the Guard.

If a foreign invasion occurs, I'm locking and loading and not counting on anyone in our government to get here soon.

Gunny
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
That is my understanding as well. Though I heard that certain war time powers are granted to the CIC to order them overseas, and I have always wondered if Iraq/Afgan actually fit the bill.

As I said, legally, the President can federalize the National Guard. But I liken sending Guardsmen outside their respective states to telling US military personnel they have to put on a blue helmet and serve in a UN force. I didn't join the Marines to serve any wannabe, one world order nor for their incompetent Euro-Commanders.

loosecannon
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
If a foreign invasion occurs, I'm locking and loading and not counting on anyone in our government to get here soon.

Well, I spose my point was that there is a time and place where calling on the guard is appropriate for a federal action.

Never against Americans, but say WWII would have been an exception.

I agree they never signed up for soldiering, they ARE needed at home and the need did not justify abusing them the way Iraq has.

I don't know any guardsmen in Iraq but I have heard that they may be serving 15 month tours and that is f-ing unbelievable. 15 month combat tours with surprise extensions are desperate measures. Not routine duty.

We definitely should have renewed the draft rather than deplete our forces that badly.

Dilloduck
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, I spose my point was that there is a time and place where calling on the guard is appropriate for a federal action.

I agree they never signed up for soldiering, they ARE needed at home and the need did not justify abusing them the way Iraq has.

I don't know any guardsmen in Iraq but I have heard that they may be serving 15 month tours and that is f-ing unbelievable. 15 month combat tours with surprise extensions are desperate measures. Not routine duty.

We definitely should have renewed the draft rather than deplete our forces that badly.

WE ? you mean democrats ?

Gunny
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM

One of the problems I have with the Guard in Iraq is bureaucratic. When they are federalized, the fed is saying they are going to bring that unit up to speed weapons and equipment-wise. Supply never meets demand, and most Guard units train with Army castoffs, and that's what they end up deploying with.

Good enough to hold the line on the Rio Grande, but not to send into fullscale combat on line.

I don't have much sympathy for servicemembers being ticked off abouot being extended. Hell, I hated it. We all did. It happens. Where the Guard is concerned, IMO, it's just not what they signed up for.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with Gunny. The Guard is for state use and should only be federalised in cases of emergency. Orginally the reserves were for supplimenting the regular military. Now they are both being used. It's been going on since the late 70's.

krisy
05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm a little confused by the governors statements,because yesterday she was on the news saying the federal governments response was excellent. The reporter even noted that apparently she had a change of mind from the day before.

Dilloduck
05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm a little confused by the governors statements,because yesterday she was on the news saying the federal governments response was excellent. The reporter even noted that apparently she had a change of mind from the day before.

Don't feel badly---Politicians are subject to pressures that make them say all kinds of goofy stuff.
If Guardsman could have PREVENTED the tornando from hitting in the first place, the whining might have some merit but as it is can't we just pay a bunch of Mexicans to come in and clean up for us ? In Eagle Pass they just came across the border and cleaned up the migrant villages that were hit. (Brought their own heavy equipment too)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA050307.01A.mexico.help.3573e21.html

Monkeybone
05-10-2007, 01:19 PM
LooseC i read/heard that the Army is deploying that long, but nothing pertaining to the NG. they are also getting extra time off the longer they are over there. i know that really doesn't make it better, but some is better than none

Doniston
05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
My honest opinion ... I don't believe it is right to deploy the National Guard outside the US. That's not what Guardsmen sign up for.We agree completely. that
's what the reserve is for.

Doniston
05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
The Hawk's Sig:

You can't spell Liberals without Lies. Nor can you spell conservative without SERVING up Lies. Right?

:lol:

Touche'

or a "con" HEH HEH