PDA

View Full Version : Make The Fed As Innocuous As Possible To The States

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Whether or not Perry is a 'tea partie's' candidate, he sure reflects my views of the intents:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-turn/2011/02/gov_rick_perrys_dream_make_the.html

02/25/2011
Gov. Rick Perry's dream: Make the federal government as innocuous as possible
By Jennifer Rubin

The nation's governors are in Washington for the National Governors' Association meeting. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, head of the Republican Governors' Association, sat down with a small group of bloggers to talk about his accomplishments and his view of federalism...

...For the remainder of the time Perry speaks passionately about his state and his firm belief in the 10th Amendment. I ask him what accounts for the difference in economic performance between Texas and California, both large Sunbelt states and both with large illegal immigration problems. He responds, "It's about taxation. It's about regulation. It's about a legal system. It's funding an accountable school system." He adds that Texas doesn't have a personal income tax while California has "an onerous one." He notes that Illinois just raised its income tax 66 percent. "So we will be reaching out" to lure Illinois businesses, he says, just as he did with Washington state businesses.

Still, he comes back to his passion for federalism, explaining that he would vigorously defend "California's right to make its own decisions. It "gets down to the core of the Tenth Amendment," he says. He doesn't want the federal government "creating 50 mini-me's." ...

...This doesn't mean he wants the federal government to do nothing. In fact, if the federal government, in his view, would stop "meddling" in the states' businesses it would be able to fulfill its core responsibilities. "We'd love to have the federal government more involved in defending our borders," he says. And he likewise reasons that once the federal government stopped "doing too many things" it could focus on "building relations internationally."

He's also distressed by the federal government's approach to energy. He says this and past administrations have gotten energy policy wrong. He tells the group that with new technology, domestic oil and gas production is an "ever-changing landscape" and that we are able to explore "huge new reserves" of oil and gas. He rattles off a list of new fields. He explains, "I share those with you to say that the U.S. has oil and gas reserves to take us years in the future without being held captive by these countries that don't like us at all." He contends that "this administration is limiting our options," and that a ban on deep-sea drilling was "absolutely NOT" the right decision. He cautions, "Oil is $100 a barrel today, but that's today. It could go to $200 or $300." He's in favor of the full array of energy sources, saying he's an "all of the above guy." The exception, he says, is corn-based ethanol, which he contends is a rip-off...

Excellent!

Palin Rider
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
The real problem with the federal government's energy policy is that it has never had one.

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 04:56 PM
The real problem with the federal government's energy policy is that it has never had one.

But that is not for a lack of trying, PR. I wonder just who it is holding up the show in these Progressive United States of America on these issues?

Psychoblues