PDA

View Full Version : Texas Demographer: 'It's Basically Over For Anglos'

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
We've known about this for some time now. God Bless The Progressive United States of America.

Source: Texas Politics

Looking at population projections for Texas, demographer Steve Murdock concludes: "It's basically over for Anglos."

Two of every three Texas children are now non-Anglo and the trend line will become even more pronounced in the future, said Murdock, former U.S. Census Bureau director and now director of the Hobby Center for the Study of Texas at Rice University.

Today's Texas population can be divided into two groups, he said. One is an old and aging Anglo and the other is young and minority. Between 2000 and 2040, the state's public school enrollment will see a 15 percent decline in Anglo children while Hispanic children will make up a 213 percent increase, he said.

The state's largest county - Harris - will shed Anglos throughout the coming decades. By 2040, Harris County will have about 516, 000 fewer Anglos than lived in the Houston area in 2000, while the number of Hispanics will increase by 2.5 million during the same period, Murdock said. The projection assumes a net migration rate equal to one-half of 1990-2000.

Most of the state's population growth is natural, Murdock told the House Mexican American Legislative Caucus today. About 22 percent of the growth comes from people moving to Texas from other states.

About 6 percent of the state's population is not documented, he said.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

More: http://blogs.chron.com/texaspolitics/archives/2011/02/texas_demograph.html

I look forward to the further diversification of our wonderful nation.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
The other side of this story is not about diversification which your bit left out:

http://blogs.chron.com/texaspolitics/archives/2011/02/texas_demograph.html

...The state's future looks bleak assuming the current trend line does not change because education and income levels for Hispanics lag considerably behind Anglos, he said.

Unless the trend line changes, 30 percent of the state's labor force will not have even a high school diploma by 2040, he said. And the average household income will be about $6,500 lower than it was in 2000. That figure is not inflation adjusted so it will be worse than what it sounds.

"It's a terrible situation that you are in. I am worried," Murdock said.

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
The other side of this story is not about diversification which your bit left out:

http://blogs.chron.com/texaspolitics/archives/2011/02/texas_demograph.html

That is all true but is also reflective of the current situation of the Hispanic American population so I see no significant reason for additional concerns other than planning for a better outcome for these people. I can only imagine where the opposition for that might come. sarcasm off

God Bless The Progressive United States of America

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
That is all true but is also reflective of the current situation of the Hispanic American population so I see no significant reason for additional concerns other than planning for a better outcome for these people. I can only imagine where the opposition for that might come. sarcasm off

God Bless The Progressive United States of America

Psychoblues

Actually there are reasons to fear that significant change regarding education will not occur. Multiple generation longitudinal study:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/ucla-study-of-four-generations-46372.aspx

Mexican American integration slow, education stalled, study finds
UCLA report charts Chicano experience over four decades
By Letisia Marquez March 20, 2008
Second-, third- and fourth-generation Mexican Americans speak English fluently, and most prefer American music. They are increasingly Protestant, and some may even vote for a Republican candidate.

However, many Mexican Americans in these later generations do not graduate from college, and they continue to live in majority Hispanic neighborhoods. Most marry other Hispanics and think of themselves as "Mexican" or "Mexican American."

Such are the findings from the most comprehensive sociological report ever produced on the integration of Mexican Americans. The UCLA study, released today in a Russell Sage Foundation book titled "Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race," concludes that, unlike the descendants of European immigrants to the United States, Mexican Americans have not fully integrated by the third and fourth generation. The research spans a period of nearly 40 years.

Some is blamed on discrimination, more troubling is the cultural bias especially regarding females and the value of education.

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually there are reasons to fear that significant change regarding education will not occur. Multiple generation longitudinal study:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/ucla-study-of-four-generations-46372.aspx

Some is blamed on discrimination, more troubling is the cultural bias especially regarding females and the value of education.

Untill I see differently I consider that study to reflect exceptions to the rule. Right here close to where I live I see 4,5,6 etc. year old Mexican American kids that speak English like I do and Spanish like their parents. And in the case of their parents they, too, are trying to pick up as best as they can. Kath, you live in the Chicago area. Are you not aware of the German, Hungarian, Korean, even Russian neighborhoods where English is not spoken at all and never in about 75 years has been? Or over in Minnesota, up in Wisconsin or Iowa where the Swedes and Nordics tend to have populated generations ago yet continue to hold on to their own languages and culture? Are we talking past each other?

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Untill I see differently I consider that study to reflect exceptions to the rule. Right here close to where I live I see 4,5,6 etc. year old Mexican American kids that speak English like I do and Spanish like their parents. And in the case of their parents they, too, are trying to pick up as best as they can. Kath, you live in the Chicago area. Are you not aware of the German, Hungarian, Korean, even Russian neighborhoods where English is not spoken at all and never in about 75 years has been? Or over in Minnesota, up in Wisconsin or Iowa where the Swedes and Nordics tend to have populated generations ago yet continue to hold on to their own languages and culture? Are we talking past each other?

Psychoblues

You didn't even glance at it, did you?

...Second-, third- and fourth-generation Mexican Americans speak English fluently, and most prefer American music. They are increasingly Protestant, and some may even vote for a Republican candidate...

Taken from what was already posted...

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
You didn't even glance at it, did you?

Taken from what was already posted...

I read every word of the article, Kath, but I still think we may be talking past each other. And that is my bad, not you at all. The Mexican migration to the Progressive United States of America seems to be a bit more scattered and schizo than most but I blame that on the poor education and health of the 1st generation migrants. Even though the article states that 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations had assimilated well they continue to lag behind in education in the 3rd and 4th generations. That is a phenomenon that is not addressed satisfactorily in the article and one that I would like to see a better study of.

I continue to believe that more people that demonstrate a propensity to vote for democratic candidates is a big plus for the Progressive United States of America.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I read every word of the article, Kath, but I still think we may be talking past each other. And that is my bad, not you at all. The Mexican migration to the Progressive United States of America seems to be a bit more scattered and schizo than most but I blame that on the poor education and health of the 1st generation migrants. Even though the article states that 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations had assimilated well they continue to lag behind in education in the 3rd and 4th generations. That is a phenomenon that is not addressed satisfactorily in the article and one that I would like to see a better study of.

I continue to believe that more people that demonstrate a propensity to vote for democratic candidates is a big plus for the Progressive United States of America.

Psychoblues

It's not an article, but results of longitudinal study from UCLA. Of course it's not one thing, nothing is. However, assimilation by nature means accepting mores of the culture you have adopted. It doesn't mean that all past cultural vestiges are left behind, but the current mores are accepted. In the US that means in general, increasing education from one generation to the next. Of course, there would be caps as parents become post-grad degree holders, but that would be very wishful thinking here.

What the study found, even among outwardly assimilated Mexican families was the tendency to under value education and not encouraging finishing high school, much less reaching for post secondary education. This is especially prevalent with females, even very good students. It's not ability or even language barriers, but Mexican culture values that are being clung to. Often agrarian based values, while undeniably living in a non-agrarian country.

For those owning vineyards or farms this might work out, but Texas is not CA. Indeed, the concern of the demographer from your OP is based on the fact that as Mexicans dominate, especially in rural areas, the tendency to undervalue education will only be reinforced, while the area itself will not be able to provide good jobs for the skill set.

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 11:11 PM

Psychoblues

Wow, just recognized this bolded line. I guess with that as your goal, it is good news for you. This shows a callousness I never would have thought.

Psychoblues
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow, just recognized this bolded line. I guess with that as your goal, it is good news for you. This shows a callousness I never would have thought.

I don't think for a moment that my hopes and ambitions for the advancement of American ideologies is not unlike most other peoples nor should they be. And there is nothing callous about that, Kath.

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-27-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't think for a moment that my hopes and ambitions for the advancement of American ideologies is not unlike most other peoples nor should they be. And there is nothing callous about that, Kath.

Psychoblues

Perhaps, but the way I read this and still do is the votes of mostly Mexican Texas are likely to go your partisan way. The concern is for the votes, not to what it does to the future of the Mexicans. You 'hope' in spite of evidence available that somehow they change the projectory of the demographics, but hope is not warranted, concern is.

That to me is callous.

Psychoblues
02-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Perhaps, but the way I read this and still do is the votes of mostly Mexican Texas are likely to go your partisan way. The concern is for the votes, not to what it does to the future of the Mexicans. You 'hope' in spite of evidence available that somehow they change the projectory of the demographics, but hope is not warranted, concern is.

That to me is callous.

Immigrants, including Mexicans, continue to come here to experience the great American dream. Most are not stupid and know who is holding up their chances for the better lives they desire. If they have any confusion about it I am always ready to assist and educate them with facts and true observations. Although I did not mean my remark as a partisan one as you might notice I used a small case "d" in democratic I would now accept it as an honor to have been loyal to a Party rather than a certainly flawed system of government.

Actually, I did have an ulterior motive for using the words as I did. Congratulate me, Kath. Mission accomplished without any animosity whatsoever!!!!!!

Psychoblues