PDA

View Full Version : New bill would fund war in two stages

lily
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/07/war.funding/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

New bill would fund war in two stages
POSTED: 6:40 p.m. EDT, May 7, 2007

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Democratic leaders are preparing a new
version of the Iraq war funding bill that would pay for the war in two
stages.

The first stage would give the Bush administration about half of the
$95.5 billion it seeks for U.S. troops and military operations. Congress
would vote on authorizing the second half of the funds in July, but only
after it reviews a report from President Bush on a series of benchmarks
measuring the Iraqi government's progress.

The new draft bill, as reported in the Wall Street Journal, was
floated by House leaders last week as a way to appeal to the various
factions in the House Democratic caucus. A vote on the bill could be
scheduled as early as the end of this week.

Leaders hope to move swiftly in order to mesh the House proposal with
the Senate's bill before the Memorial Day holiday.

Although this proposal does not include dates for withdrawal, one
leadership aide maintains it still demands accountability from Bush because
"it doesn't just give him another $100 billion with no questions asked."

Bill meant to keep pressure on Bush
The aide said that by "fencing off" the second installment of war
funding, Congress would get more detailed information about how the money
would be spent and how much more is needed. The aide described the plan as
"being responsive to concerns of members who really want us to keep the
pressure on Bush, and at the same time we are making sure we are funding the
troops and making members comfortable with that."

According to several Democratic aides, Speaker Nancy Pelosi,
D-California, along with House Appropriations Chairman David Obey,
D-Wisconsin, and Defense Subcommittee Chair John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, are
working on the details on this two-step funding plan with other House
leaders.

These discussions are on a track separate from negotiations with White
House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten.

One Democratic aide said leaders are trying to get leaders from the
progressive and conservative wings of the party on board "before running it
through the traps." But this aide pointed to recent comments from House
Republicans warning that support for Bush from his own party is waning,
saying, "We think some of those guys are ready to jump ship" and support the
bill.

On Sunday, House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said that
Republicans would reassess support for the president's Iraq policy by the
fall. Boehner noted on Fox News, "By the time we get to September or
October, members are going to want to know how well this is working, and if
it isn't, what's Plan B?"

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a good bill to me. See if it can beat the veto if it comes.

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
This is the House bill.

There will also have to be a senate bill.

Then the committees of the two will form a third compromise bill.

Last time the compromise had a 6 month timeline before troop withdrawal altho the house and senate bills featured 12 month and 18 month timelines.

What that tells me is that no matter WHAT the bills passed by the house and senate say, the compromise will be benefitial to stopping the war.

lily
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, it has the timelines taken out, so I can't imagine what reason Bush would have to veto it.

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
He doesn't like to compromise, this bill will be that. he doesn't get a blank check even with one part taken out but I doubt he'll veto this one even so. He really can't afford to.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, it has the timelines taken out, so I can't imagine what reason Bush would have to veto it.

why fund the war at all.....the dems are against it.....just sit on your hands

LiberalNation
05-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Politics of course but that's the way it goes and always has in government.

lily
05-07-2007, 09:39 PM

YAWN

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
YAWN

double yawn....if you are against it be against....don't be sort of against it.....or i am for it for a while but soon i will be against it....

lily
05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
double yawn....if you are against it be against....don't be sort of against it.....or i am for it for a while but soon i will be against it....

I don't know why you think that asking for results is too much to be asking for after 4 years.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know why you think that asking for results is too much to be asking for after 4 years.

i thought it had been determined there have been no results?.....why ask for something that you claim does not exist...

loosecannon
05-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I fully agree.

lily
05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
i thought it had been determined there have been no results?.....why ask for something that you claim does not exist...

Well, when you are handed everything you want, as Bush was with Republican control, I suppose no one would expect results. But now that he's not.......the Democrats would like to see some. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, when you are handed everything you want, as Bush was with Republican control, I suppose no one would expect results. But now that he's not.......the Democrats would like to see some. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for.

bush did not get everything he wanted and you know that.....the results have been what they have been ...either fund it or don't....based on the results to date.....

that is like yelling at your kid ...if you do that one more time....for the 12th time....

lily
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
bush did not get everything he wanted and you know that.....

Hmmm.......ok, you've got my interest up, can you tell me one bill or I'll even make it easier, one thing that Bush has asked for in this war that was refused him?

Psychoblues
05-07-2007, 11:05 PM
m'59 has a cognizance conflict, lily.

Hmmm.......ok, you've got my interest up, can you tell me one bill or I'll even make it easier, one thing that Bush has asked for in this war that was refused him?

He'll figure it out on his own. There is damn sure nothing that you or I can say that will enlighten him in any way. Self enlightened is all I can say for m'59.

manu1959
05-07-2007, 11:10 PM

privatize social security....

Psychoblues
05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
See what I mean, lily?

A wasted mind is wasted time.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM

....and privatizing social security has what to do with this war? That was the question.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I think Lily clearly stated "one thing that Bush has asked for in this war that was refused him?" You said, "privatize social security."

The survey said:

X

try again

Kathianne
05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
The Senate, including Reid and Levin, disagree with the House:

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0507/050707cdpm1.htm

Short-term war funding bill may not fly in Senate
By Terry Kivlan CongressDaily May 7, 2007

A House-backed plan to send President Bush a supplemental spending bill to fund the war only through July is not likely to get through the Senate, an aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Monday.

"It's not anything that will fly in the Senate," spokesman Jim Manley said.

Manley's comments and earlier opposition from Senate Armed Services Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., are likely to complicate efforts by the White House and congressional leaders to wrap up a new spending bill before the Memorial Day recess later this month.

The House plan, backed by House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman John Murtha, D-Pa., would guarantee funding for U.S. operations in Iraq through July -- two months short of the end of the fiscal year -- and would tie approval of additional funding to the Iraqi government and military meeting certain benchmarks for progress.

Levin, in a conference call late last month, sounded a skeptical note about any supplemental funding measure that did not cover the rest of the fiscal year, saying: "I don't think that is the best approach ... We have got to do something that lasts through Sept. 30."

One problem, he said, is that funding that ends in July might leave the impression that lawmakers favored cutting off funding for U.S. troops. "I don't think anyone supports cutting funding for the troops, so we might as well take that off the table, as far as I'm concerned," he said....

Doniston
05-08-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/07/war.funding/index.html?eref=rss_topstoriesI totally disagree. I think the Dems are dropping the ball.

while I didn't agree with absolute withdrawal dates, for the obvious reasins, I think that realistic Benchmarks should have been included in the new bill.

lily
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I totally disagree. I think the Dems are dropping the ball.

while I didn't agree with absolute withdrawal dates, for the obvious reasins, I think that realistic Benchmarks should have been included in the new bill.

While I will agree with you benchmarks would be an ideal goal, it's obvious that it's not going to happen. The Democrats can keep pushing the same thing and get the same results........but then that's not compromising and it's not going to get results. I'll be happy to wait for a "progress report" and go from there. I don't expect any different results then, but when that's all you got to go on, you take what you can get.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
The CIC has never been interested in any kind of compromise with anyone, much less the Democrats. It's always been his way or the highway. Unfortunately, for America, that's always been the highway to hell versus going on down the highway. No different here.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
The CIC has never been interested in any kind of compromise with anyone, much less the Democrats. It's always been his way or the highway. Unfortunately, for America, that's always been the highway to hell versus going on down the highway. No different here.

Well, there is going to come a time that he is going to have to stop treating the Democrats like Iran and actually negotiate. He's not going to get the blank check any longer. Republicans are slowly seeing this too.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Like Joe Biden said in a slightly different context, the Democrats are going to have to jam it down his throat. I can hardly wait.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I think Lily clearly stated "one thing that Bush has asked for in this war that was refused him?" You said, "privatize social security."

The survey said:

X

try again

oh ....this war...that is easy...he wanted the support of the democrats in a time of war.....

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
oh ....this war...that is easy...he wanted the support of the democrats in a time of war.....

And he got it when they helped to pass the Authorizing Resolution.

Next.

loosecannon
05-08-2007, 11:28 PM

He got the congressional authority he asked for and squandered it.

He got the funding he asked for, he vetoed it.

WHAT is Bush's friggin problem?

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:28 PM
And he got it when they helped to pass the Authorizing Resolution.

Next.

so their current behavior is support for a president during war time.......

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
He got the congressional authority he asked for and squandered it.

He got the funding he asked for, he vetoed it.

WHAT is Bush's friggin problem?

lily
05-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Do I detect a stutter?

Sorry Manu, the way Bush has handled this war, he should get down on his knees and thank the Democrats for saving him from himself.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-08-2007, 11:41 PM

It is an attempt to bring responsibility to some place where none existed before.

It is an attempt to get thru to a president who is so arrogant that he cannot admit to making a solitary mistake in six years in office.

It is an attempt to bring oversight to a process that the previous republican congresses decided to look the other way over and NOT conduct any oversight to.

It is an attempt to listen to the voters and get our troops out a war that has been mismanaged and clusterfucked since day one.

It is an attempt to restore some of the dignity and honor that this president has cost us by the way he has conducted himself over the past six years.

I can see where you have a problem with that but then I'm not backing a president that only 28% of the public thinks is doing a good job either.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Do I detect a stutter?

Sorry Manu, the way Bush has handled this war, he should get down on his knees and thank the Democrats for saving him from himself.

when are the dems going to step up and take responsibilty and save him then....all they have at the moment is passive agressive bills.....

the mandate is there...step up...

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
It is an attempt to bring responsibility to some place where none existed before.

It is an attempt to get thru to a president who is so arrogant that he cannot admit to making a solitary mistake in six years in office.

It is an attempt to bring oversight to a process that the previous republican congresses decided to look the other way over and NOT conduct any oversight to.

It is an attempt to listen to the voters and get our troops out a war that has been mismanaged and clusterfucked since day one.

It is an attempt to restore some of the dignity and honor that this president has cost us by the way he has conducted himself over the past six years.

I can see where you have a problem with that but then I'm not backing a president that only 28% of the public thinks is doing a good job either.

they are doing nothing of the kind.....if they are right.... step up and be right....cut off funding...impeach bush and pass a bill to bring the troops home....

they don't have the balls to call a spade a spade.....

loosecannon
05-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Congress is not hired to support the pres. They are his superiors hired to watch over him.

They gave him the authority he asked for to do his job, the money he asked for and he rejected it.

Congress is supposed to fire him if he is a fuck up. According to the constitution.

Article II, Section 4:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

lily
05-08-2007, 11:56 PM
when are the dems going to step up and take responsibilty and save him then....all they have at the moment is passive agressive bills.....

We keep throwing him the inner tube, but he keeps missing it. The man is drowning and taking the country with him.

they are doing nothing of the kind.....if they are right.... step up and be right....cut off funding...impeach bush and pass a bill to bring the troops home....

they don't have the balls to call a spade a spade.....

Seiously, at this point in time, when the Iraqi Parliment have done NOTHING and then decide to take a 2-3 month vacation, and the Sunnis threaten to pull out, while refusing to come to the White House to talk.....while we send in more men to fight and bicker over funding it right now I say CUT IT OFF.

loosecannon
05-08-2007, 11:57 PM

The mandate of the people says end this war over the presidents dead body if neccesary.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Congress is not hired to support the pres. They are his superiors hired to watch over him.

They gave him the authority he asked for to do his job, the money he asked for and he rejected it.

Congress is supposed to fire him if he is a fuck up. According to the constitution.

like the rep congress watched over mr clinton? like that?

he asked for money with no strings...they rejected that.....nice support

the people are supposed to fire congress if they fuck up....

life is symetrical....

that said....congress should do their fucking job then....cut funding...impaech bush and bring the troops home...they have their mandate ....grow some balls and do your fucking job....or shut the fuck up.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
The mandate of the people says end this war over the presidents dead body if neccesary.

why is congress not following their mandate? they should all be impeached.

manu1959
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
We keep throwing him the inner tube, but he keeps missing it. The man is drowning and taking the country with him.

Seiously, at this point in time, when the Iraqi Parliment have done NOTHING and then decide to take a 2-3 month vacation, and the Sunnis threaten to pull out, while refusing to come to the White House to talk.....while we send in more men to fight and bicker over funding it right now I say CUT IT OFF.

no you don't......if you want to save him...save him....vote to cut funding....impeach him and bring the troops home....come on it isn't that hard....write the bill and pass it....stop talking and do something.....

problem is bush is stronger willed than you all.....

loosecannon
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
no you don't......if you want to save him...save him....vote to cut funding....impeach him and bring the troops home....come on it isn't that hard....write the bill and pass it....stop talking and do something.....

problem is bush is stronger willed than you all.....

pig headed was the word you were searching for and the dems got started 4 months ago.

Bush will lose.

manu1959
05-09-2007, 12:10 AM
pig headed was the word you were searching for and the dems got started 4 months ago.

Bush will lose.

no more pig head than pelosi, harry or the terrorists....people belive what they believe....

nancy and harry have been at it 4 months...what progress have they made?....what is their time table?.....how will you define victory?.....

they can't even defeate bush and darth cheney....they don't stand a chance ......

loosecannon
05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
no more pig head than pelosi, harry or the terrorists....people belive what they believe....

Much more pig headed than pelosi, harry or the terrorists.

Bush is famous for his pigheadedness. He is the pighead king.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-09-2007, 12:41 AM
how will you define victory?

Bringing everyone of our troops home and out from the middle of a sectarian civil war. Simple as that.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Timeline... benchmark... the end result is the same thing. Pull out.

lily
05-09-2007, 08:55 PM

You're talking to me like I'm in the senate. Trust me, I'm watching what my senator does and writing to him.

problem is bush is stronger willed than you all

When you're surrounded by people that only tell you what you want to hear, then I don't think strong willed is the word I'd use. Bubble boy maybe, strong willed......naw....

lily
05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by manu1959
how will you define victory?

When a Democrat gets in office and straightens out this mess. Then we can work on defining victory. Until then we're stuck in hell.

lily
05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Timeline... benchmark... the end result is the same thing. Pull out.

......as I said in post #37 right about now it sounds damned good to me!

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
......as I said in post #37 right about now it sounds damned good to me!

Of course it does. We'll see sooner or later what will happen if we pull out, because we will. I suppose you're hoping the next 9/11 doesn't happen anywhere near YOU after we do...

lily
05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I suppose you're hoping the next 9/11 doesn't happen anywhere near YOU after we do...

Sorry, Pale I don't fall for that hype.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Sorry, Pale I don't fall for that hype.

9/11 is hype? Or do you deny it will happen again?

lily
05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
9/11 is hype? Or do you deny it will happen again?

I don't think anything of that magnitude will happen again and I also don't believe that one party over the other will keep us safer.

Hobbit
05-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I don't think anything of that magnitude will happen again and I also don't believe that one party over the other will keep us safer.

Naivete at its finest. For the sake of civility, I'll give you the comment about the political parties, although I think the current crop of Democrats are incapable of defending this country until the armies are on our shores. However, to think no terrorist attack of that magnitude will ever happen again is naive. It's only a matter of time before one of those nutjobs gets a nuke, making 9/11 look like nothing.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 11:55 AM

That is the same attitude the dem leaders in washington have as well. which is why they can't be trusted to defend this country.

You have the same "the Titanic is unsinkable" attiitude they have.

lily
05-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Naivete at its finest. For the sake of civility, I'll give you the comment about the political parties, although I think the current crop of Democrats are incapable of defending this country until the armies are on our shores. However, to think no terrorist attack of that magnitude will ever happen again is naive. It's only a matter of time before one of those nutjobs gets a nuke, making 9/11 look like nothing.

Ok....so again, just out of curiosity, how are they going to get a full fledged nuke here without us knowing?

lily
05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
That is the same attitude the dem leaders in washington have as well. which is why they can't be trusted to defend this country.

You have the same "the Titanic is unsinkable" attiitude they have.

While I do respect your opinion, it's obvious I don't share it.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok....so again, just out of curiosity, how are they going to get a full fledged nuke here without us knowing?

My guess is they would load it on a ship with a jihad crew and sail it into a harbor where they would set it off.

iran is also looking to acquire ICBM's, their present systems only go about 1000 miles. Of course they could always provide chevez with some missiles and warheads. Such missiles could also be placed on ships and brought in close to our shores altho that would be a more difficult thing to do.

Nukes are not small so its difficult to transport them. The most likely type of attack is a dirty bomb in a large city.

Gunny
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
When a Democrat gets in office and straightens out this mess. Then we can work on defining victory. Until then we're stuck in hell.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lame2:

Baron Von Esslingen
05-11-2007, 01:27 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nukeman
05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK
BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK....BVE is a JERK

lily
05-12-2007, 12:02 AM
WOW.........that added a lot to the debate!

Doniston
05-12-2007, 01:08 PM

reference your Sig: was this Smart? Remotely Right? or even in the vicinity of being slightly reasonable???

lily
05-12-2007, 05:29 PM
reference your Sig: was this Smart? Remotely Right? or even in the vicinity of being slightly reasonable???

Um...just what does repeating it show?

loosecannon
05-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Um...just what does repeating it show?

obsessive compulsive tendencies?

lily
05-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, the original post was a thread killer and this just puts nails in the coffin.....oh well. I guess I was done giving my words of wisdom anyway.:laugh2: