PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, Yellow Cake For Iran

Kathianne
03-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Interesting how suddenly it comes roaring back and is now significant?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/8364666/Zimbabwe-to-sell-uranium-to-Iran.html

Zimbabwe to sell uranium to Iran
Zimbabwe is to defy United Nations sanctions in a deal to sell uranium to Iran

By Aislinn Laing, Johannesburg 3:03PM GMT 06 Mar 2011

Simbarashe Mumbengegwi, Zimbabwe's foreign minister, said the sanctions – which prohibit member states from providing Iran with raw materials that it could use to make a nuclear weapon – were unfair and hypocritical.

He said that Zimbabwe, which is also the subject of sanctions over human rights abuses perpetrated by President Robert Mugabe's supporters, would benefit economically from the agreement.

A leaked intelligence report suggests Iran will be awarded with exclusive access to Zimbabwe's uranium in return for providing the country with fuel.

The report – compiled by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog – said Iran's Foreign and Co-operative Ministers had visited Zimbabwe to strike a deal, and sent engineers to assess uranium deposits...

People close to the UN confirmed that Zimbabwe would be in direct contravention of sanctions if it sold uranium to Iran, but admitted the international body could do little to punish it.

Ben Rhode, a Research Associate at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, said there would be concern about the deal internationally. "Iran already has a guaranteed fuel supply from Russia for the lifetime of its Bushehr power reactor," he said. "It is therefore difficult to understand the peaceful, commercial nature of such a procurement." ...

fj1200
03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Interesting how suddenly it comes roaring back and is now significant?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/8364666/Zimbabwe-to-sell-uranium-to-Iran.html

People close to the UN confirmed that Zimbabwe would be in direct contravention of sanctions if it sold uranium to Iran, but admitted the international body could do little to punish it.

Is there any other statement that can truly show how useless the UN is?

Kathianne
03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Is there any other statement that can truly show how useless the UN is?

While I see that Gaffer gave you props here, was this asked rhetorically?

fj1200
03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
While I see that Gaffer gave you props here, was this asked rhetorically?

:laugh: Yes, I expect little from them.

Kathianne
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
:laugh: Yes, I expect little from them.

Thank g! I don't know how I'd shake you over the net! :laugh2:

Gaffer
03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Nothing I would like better than to see us withdraw from the un and give them 30 days to vacate the building. Just another progressive failure.