PDA

View Full Version : Now The Military Tribunals Resume, At Gitmo

Kathianne
03-07-2011, 04:48 PM
More of the 3rd term, though this shouldn't have to have been an issue. Obama made it one:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/07/obama.guantanamo/?hpt=Sbin

Obama orders resumption of military tribunals at Guantanamo

Washington (CNN) -- The United States will resume using military commissions to prosecute alleged terrorists held at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility, President Barack Obama said Monday.

The announcement said the Obama administration remains committed to closing the controversial detention facility, but will rescind its previous suspension on bringing new charges before military commissions.

The commissions are military proceedings rather than trials in civilian courts. In an executive order accompanying his announcement, Obama also authorized prosecuting Guantanamo detainees in U.S. criminal courts when appropriate.

Obama previously pledged to close the Guantanamo Bay facility within a year of taking office in January 2009. However, it remains open due to legal complexities involving the status of some detainees and congressional opposition to holding trials for high-profile suspects in U.S. criminal courts.

Shortly after Obama's announcement, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced the withdrawal of his prior suspension of new charges before military commissions.

Gates cited reforms of the military commissions under a 2009 law, and expressed his support for also using civilian courts to prosecute terrorism suspects...

NightTrain
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Where are the howls of outrage from the Moonbats?

Kathianne
03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Where are the howls of outrage from the Moonbats?

Still waiting...:smoke:

DragonStryk72
03-07-2011, 06:44 PM
More of the 3rd term, though this shouldn't have to have been an issue. Obama made it one:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/07/obama.guantanamo/?hpt=Sbin

So, we're trying them as soldiers, but they're not actually soldiers according to us? That doesn't start out as Obama's fault, but since he's continuing with it in his own term as President, it does become his current problem.

The "legal complexities" are that if we try them as civilians the cases would have to be thrown out almost across the board. either evidence wasn't properly collected (The US Marines generally don't fight wars like FBI investigators), or you got direct coercion in any confessions they may have made. The whole thing's a massive cluster fuck, and one we invented, sadly.

trobinett
03-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't give a shit WHO'S problem it is, Obama has made it HIS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought he was done with the military tribunals.

Just like EVERYTHING else this young President has done, or promised he would do, he's flogging the dog, sad really.............:slap:

Missileman
03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
And I heard today that his executive order allows for the indefinite detention of some of the detainees even if acquitted. I wonder if he's trying to establish a precedent to use against U.S. citizens.

trobinett
03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
And I heard today that his executive order allows for the indefinite detention of some of the detainees even if acquitted. I wonder if he's trying to establish a precedent to use against U.S. citizens.

Well, I never heard of that, what a bitch, that would be a big mistake.

Just can't figure out these liberal politicians, they move that way, then they move back, kinda like a wind sock at the local airport.:laugh:

Missileman
03-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, I never heard of that, what a bitch, that would be a big mistake.

Just can't figure out these liberal politicians, they move that way, then they move back, kinda like a wind sock at the local airport.:laugh:

About a quarter of them are on a secret list and will never leave custody.

fj1200
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I wonder if he's trying to establish a precedent to use against U.S. citizens.

:facepalm:

Missileman
03-08-2011, 11:08 PM
:facepalm:

This administration has demonstrated a propensity to wipe their ass with the constitution.

fj1200
03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
This administration has demonstrated a propensity to wipe their ass with the constitution.

Yes and their uber secret plan to incarcerate 50% of the voting public in November of 2012 is pure genius.

Psychoblues
03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
:death::scared::death:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychochoblues

Missileman
03-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Yes and their uber secret plan to incarcerate 50% of the voting public in November of 2012 is pure genius.

Who says there's going to be an election?

fj1200
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Who says there's going to be an election?

:rolleyes: A few years ago, while GWB was president, I went to a tile store to attend their tile installation class and after the class the instructor and an attendee or two started talking about how Bush was going to claim some national crisis to remain in power after his second terms was up.

You know what happened? An orderly transfer of power the likes of which have happened 42 times before that over the course of our countries history...

:eek: OH THE HUMANITY!!! :eek:

Gaffer
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
:rolleyes: A few years ago, while GWB was president, I went to a tile store to attend their tile installation class and after the class the instructor and an attendee or two started talking about how Bush was going to claim some national crisis to remain in power after his second terms was up.

You know what happened? An orderly transfer of power the likes of which have happened 42 times before that over the course of our countries history...

:eek: OH THE HUMANITY!!! :eek:

All the things the left accuses the right of doing are what the left repeatedly do themselves. Taking their past actions and rhetoric into account it's not unlikely that the administration will do exactly as the left said Bush would do. He has the unions, Chicago thugs, commies and radical muslims to back him. He could never get the popular vote no matter what the media claims. So yeah, I believe he would try to use some crisis to stay in office.

jimnyc
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
:death::scared::death:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychochoblues

Nice to see that you feel it is funny that our CIC is a liar. MANY people voted for this monkey because of promises to immediately bring the soldiers home and to close Guantanamo. I guess it's only OK to unilaterally ignore the justice department when it comes to the queers and DOMA, but he can't do jack shit to backup his word. A MAN backs up his word, Obama is not a man.

Abbey Marie
03-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Now that never occurred to me. Scary thought, MM.

fj1200
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Now that never occurred to me. Scary thought, MM.

I thought you were a lawyer.

Abbey Marie
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I thought you were a lawyer.

That's quite a non-sequitur. Being a lawyer does not mean that one would imagine even a lib President like this would plot to take away our most basic Constitutional rights as citizens.:rolleyes:

fj1200
03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
That's quite a non-sequitur. Being a lawyer does not mean that one would imagine even a lib President like this would plot to take away our most basic Constitutional rights as citizens.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I just think it's ridiculous to entertain such notions. The libs I came across sounded ridiculous back then and those who fear non-existent concentration camps are ridiculous now.

Gaffer
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry but I just think it's ridiculous to entertain such notions. The libs I came across sounded ridiculous back then and those who fear non-existent concentration camps are ridiculous now.

Just because it's nonexistent now doesn't mean it's not being planned for. And I don't believe the libs will go down quietly.