PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Classwork on Gay Marriage

Nienna
05-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Parents were upset to learn that their children were given the assignment to read an editorial supporting gay marriage. Here's a link...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/May/20070504News003.asp

In your opinion, how should this topic have been handled in the classroom?

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
5th grade? Teacher should not have addressed or avoided the topic.

Use an editorial on a subject that is within their scope of comprehension.
If they don't understand the topic (many adults don't either) how can they comprehend the editorial points or gain any benefit?

Just my 2 cents.

CockySOB
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Fifth grade is too early to be discussing topics touching on sexuality IMHO. I could understand such an assignment perhaps for eighth graders or later, but not until.

And if the parents wanted to try to remove the teacher from the position via legal means, I'd support the parents.

At the very least, the teacher should have notified the parents in advance that they would be covering that particular topic and when.

shattered
05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Fifth grade is far too early to even think of discussing a topic like that, much less just going ahead and doing it.. Jr. High is early enough, and then if it's class-wide, it should be brought to the attention of the parents beforehand, otherwise, it should be limited to extra-cirricular activities after school, and parental permission should be a requirement before joining said class.

In any case, parental involvement is critical, and should be made mandatory via signed permission slips, at the very least.

Fifth graders know what dodgeball is. Not what 2 fathers, or 2 mothers living in the same household means.

krisy
05-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I beleive the teacher should have avoided this subject. This does not belong in school. I do think that it was a good assignment tho. There are editorials on many other issues that would teach the children some critical thinking. Moral issues such as this don't belong in school IMO,especially issues that have to do with sexuality. Schools are going over the line too much in this area.

When I was in school,we were taught about male/female organs in the fifth or sixth grade. In high school,with parents permission,we watched the Miracle of Life. That was plenty. Issues dealing with sexuality,abortion,should be talked about at home. This kind of thing gives me the feeling that teachers want to push their morals on to children which is very wrong. Even tho the teacher wanted them to argue the point of the article,she got them to read it.

shattered
05-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I beleive the teacher should have avoided this subject. This does not belong in school. I do think that it was a good assignment tho. There are editorials on many other issues that would teach the children some critical thinking. Moral issues such as this don't belong in school IMO,especially issues that have to do with sexuality. Schools are going over the line too much in this area.

When I was in school,we were taught about male/female organs in the fifth or sixth grade. In high school,with parents permission,we watched the Miracle of Life. That was plenty. Issues dealing with sexuality,abortion,should be talked about at home. This kind of thing gives me the feeling that teachers want to push their morals on to children which is very wrong. Even tho the teacher wanted them to argue the point of the article,she got them to read it.

Unfortunately, there are some types of parents who never discuss anything with their kids, and that's not good either.. Thus, some teachers feel it necessary to pick up the slack of the parents. Kids have to pick up knowledge from somewhere.. But there's a right way, and a wrong way to do it. Not all parents are open and honest with their kids..but those that ARE should definitely have the option of taking on such discussions by themselves, without outside interference being tossed in without their input.

Hagbard Celine
05-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree with the assistant superintendent. The topic was inappropriate. I can see that the teacher was trying to use a topical, current subject for the kids to write their papers about, but I agree that this topic is a little mature for 10-11-year-old kids. :dunno:

The parentals are, of course, going overboard to ruin the teacher's life over it. :rolleyes: Seems trivial to me. Slap the teacher on the wrist, explain why it's inappropriate and get back to work.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
mt son is in the third grade.......several same sex couples have kids in his grade.....they already discuss it......he asked me the other day if there are two momies and no dadies who did they have a baby.....and how is he going to learn about sports....i told him adotption and he will learn to play softball just fine.....

darin
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
The parentals are, of course, going overboard to ruin the teacher's life over it. :rolleyes: Seems trivial to me. Slap the teacher on the wrist, explain why it's inappropriate and get back to work.

The teacher's obvious piss-poor judgment is a clear sign he/she is unfit to instruct.

Hagbard Celine
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
mt son is in the third grade.......several same sex couples have kids in his grade.....they already discuss it......he asked me the other day if there are two momies and no dadies who did they have a baby.....and how is he going to learn about sports....i told him adotption and he will learn to play softball just fine.....

See, I think kids are capable of understanding adult issues just fine as long as they're framed correctly. People don't give kids enough credit imo.

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Seems like an okay topic to me. We have to write opinions pieces on issues and read them too. Gay marriage is a current issue people have opinions on.

5stringJeff
05-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Gay marriage is not appropriate for fifth graders to discuss. High schoolers, fine. Grade schoolers, no way.

Hagbard Celine
05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Seems like an okay topic to me. We have to write opinions pieces on issues and read them too. Gay marriage is a current issue people have opinions on.

Yes, but don't you think there are other issues that are more appropriate for grade schoolers? I think this whole "controversy" could've been avoided.

glockmail
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Parents were upset to learn that their children were given the assignment to read an editorial supporting gay marriage. Here's a link...

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/May/20070504News003.asp

In your opinion, how should this topic have been handled in the classroom?

Why do the queers always go after the kids: Answer: homosexuals now, pedophiles next.

krisy
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM

But your not a fifth grader. Schools don't even NEED to adress this. Many parents want to explain what gay is and what gay marriage is themselves as opposed to a teacher or editorial giving them a biased opinion on it. Someone else may give a different view that a fifth grader cannot comprehend. A parent however has the right to explain it and why it is right or wrong in their opinion before anyone.

What happened to just teaching the three r's? That is what almost everyone on this board grew up learning,I'm sure. Did anyone think they were somehow deprived because they weren't taught about gay marriage?

Doniston
05-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Finally, a sensible approach.--- It is now part of life. Kids experience it. I think it should be acknowlege in school that it happens, but like sex in general, it should simply be touched uopon and then the children should be urged to talk to their parents about it. Solid or lengthy discusion of the issue should be suspended until later (at least in school.

lily
05-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Fifth grade is too early to be discussing topics touching on sexuality IMHO. I could understand such an assignment perhaps for eighth graders or later, but not until.

The article stated that the children were asking questions about it. Isn't school a place where learning takes place?

At the very least, the teacher should have notified the parents in advance that they would be covering that particular topic and when.

Well, we agree on this one, I think it should be the parent's decision. Permission slips used to be the norm, but it's been so long since I've had a kid in school, I don't know if it is anymore.

lily
05-08-2007, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=krisy;54367]
When I was in school,we were taught about male/female organs in the fifth or sixth grade.

Then how is this different? As I already mentioned, the kids are the ones that brought it up. They are being exposed to it every day, in movies, TV and those around them Life is different now days.

In high school,with parents permission,we watched the Miracle of Life. That was plenty. Issues dealing with sexuality,abortion,should be talked about at home. This kind of thing gives me the feeling that teachers want to push their morals on to children which is very wrong. Even tho the teacher wanted them to argue the point of the article,she got them to read it.

Yes, she got them to read the article and discuss it, getting both sides of the argument heard. Is that a bad thing?

lily
05-08-2007, 12:23 PM

A voice of reason!

lily
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Why do the queers always go after the kids: Answer: homosexuals now, pedophiles next.

Oooopppss should have read further....disregard my voice of reason post. :salute:

lily
05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
But your not a fifth grader. Schools don't even NEED to adress this. Many parents want to explain what gay is and what gay marriage is themselves as opposed to a teacher or editorial giving them a biased opinion on it. Someone else may give a different view that a fifth grader cannot comprehend. A parent however has the right to explain it and why it is right or wrong in their opinion before anyone.

Don't you think this might open the door for a child that wants to know, but is afraid to ask their parents about?

"Hey mom we talked about gay marriage in shcool today, what do you think about it?"

darin
05-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Don't you think this might open the door for a child that wants to know, but is afraid to ask their parents about?

"Hey mom we talked about gay marriage in shcool today, what do you think about it?"

A FIFTH Grader has NO business discussing sexual habits; much less deviant sexual habits.

Hobbit
05-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to want to discuss the topic, as it's a little hard to avoid, but I also think the teacher should have exercised a little restraint and send the kids home with a note explaining that it's optional with an alternative article for those whose parents wanted to opt them out of the assignment. Forcing or forbidding it either one was bound to bring controversy. With the above approach, I think the teacher could've saved herself a lot of hassle.

lily
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
A FIFTH Grader has NO business discussing sexual habits; much less deviant sexual habits.

Tell that to their curious minds, which as the article states is what brought this topic up in the first place.

krisy
05-08-2007, 01:17 PM

To be honest,no. I just feel that school is the wrong place for this. Again,for many this is a moral issue and many people grew up just fine without school putting thier nose where it doesn't belong. School is there to eduacate a child so he or she can grow up,and know what they need to know to work. It's not there to teach controversial social issues. Again,a parent should decide when this is discussed and at what age.

If a child is afraid to ask at this age,I guarantee as they get older they won't be afraid. It isn't essential for a child to know this in the fifth grade.

krisy
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]

Then how is this different? As I already mentioned, the kids are the ones that brought it up. They are being exposed to it every day, in movies, TV and those around them Life is different now days.

Yes, she got them to read the article and discuss it, getting both sides of the argument heard. Is that a bad thing?

This is different than just teaching a child their biology because this is a lifestyle that many feel is wrong. Teaching them about biology is something they need to learn. Homosexual lifestyle is not.

lily
05-08-2007, 01:28 PM
To be honest,no. I just feel that school is the wrong place for this. Again,for many this is a moral issue and many people grew up just fine without school putting thier nose where it doesn't belong. School is there to eduacate a child so he or she can grow up,and know what they need to know to work. It's not there to teach controversial social issues. Again,a parent should decide when this is discussed and at what age.

That's why I voted for parental permission slips.

If a child is afraid to ask at this age,I guarantee as they get older they won't be afraid. It isn't essential for a child to know this in the fifth grade.

But my point has been all along is the children weren't afraid to ask the teacher, they are the ones that brought it up, so obviously they thought is was important to them.

lily
05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=lily;54471]

This is different than just teaching a child their biology because this is a lifestyle that many feel is wrong. Teaching them about biology is something they need to learn. Homosexual lifestyle is not.

Why? It's all a part of living in this world. I don't think "sheltering" them is going to do them much good. School now days are more that the 3 R's. With parents working 2 jobs, society has put more pressure on teachers to do the job that parents can't.

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 02:32 PM
You'd be suprised how much 5th graders know. It's better they ask at school andget it explained. You can't ignore something this big in society.

5stringJeff
05-08-2007, 02:56 PM
You'd be suprised how much 5th graders know. It's better they ask at school andget it explained. You can't ignore something this big in society.

I have a seventh grade daughter and a fifth grade niece. Yes, they hear some stuff around school, but they don't have the critical thinking skills to understand the gay marriage issue. They certainly shouldn't be exposed to pro-gay material at an age where their minds are like empty sponges, absorbing everything they hear.

krisy
05-08-2007, 09:57 PM

I know how much 5th graders know. My son is in 6th grade this year. Luckily,he is very open with his dad and I,always has been. Maybe I will have to agree to disagree with some of you.

Just because the children wanted to talk about it,doesn't make it right. I just can't emphasize enough that I think it's an issue for home. Just because it's supposedly all over society,doesn't mean I have to give up my rights as a parent to a teacher that feels her opinion should come before mine.

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
If a parent was that worried about it they should just home school. Then they wouldn't have to worry and would have kids sheltered from society which may or may not be a good thing.

manu1959
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
would a discussion of straight marriage be appropriate in the fifth grade?.....how about multiple wives and mormans?....equal time....

shattered
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
If a parent was that worried about it they should just home school. Then they wouldn't have to worry and would have kids sheltered from society which may or may not be a good thing.

What?! How about teachers just *teach* - you know.. Reading, writing, math, science, history.. You know.. The things kids need to learn to grow up and get JOBS, and become productive members of society?

Kathianne
05-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Considering that the topic had been brought up by a student prior to the article, the class as a whole may have read and discussed the article, in a current events type venue.

shattered
Hell, while we're at it.. If you want YOUR 5th grader taught all that gay shit, why don't YOU homeschool?

Mr. P

What makes you think home schooled kids are sheltered from society?

LiberalNation
05-08-2007, 10:10 PM
It doesn't matter to me tought or not. They were discussing a current even't not "teaching" one view per say. Schools do that and if it was any other issue no one would be screaming. If kids are asking it's best to answer to stop misinformation from spreading like wild fire thru the school kids as they discuss on their own.

lily
05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Deleted by poster

manu1959
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Deleted by poster

damn...missed it...

shattered
05-08-2007, 10:37 PM
damn...missed it...

She just basically said if a child asks a question, it's her "duty" to answer it..

lily
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
damn...missed it...

Gotta be fast!:laugh2:

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 12:59 AM
I'ts indoctrination, and all part of the homosexual agenda to legitimize a sickness.

The younger these homo supporters can strike at your children, they'll do it, because they realize the younger they are, the easier it will be to indoctrinate them.

Now go ahead have a fit about that, but it's the truth. This whole "teach homosexuality is OK" business in school is all part of an agenda, driven by the gay and lesbian coalition. They never want to hear somebody say, "I think homosexuality is SICKENING and PERVERTED" again. Even though it is. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile, and ten years from now, they'll be teaching your kids that NAMBLA is a legitimate orginization, and it's "HATE SPEACH" to say anything bad about them.

Watch out for how far you're willing to give with these people on this topic. They are NOT going to be happy until ALL voices of dissension are silenced, and they have full acceptance to openly practice and TEACH their sickness.

krisy
05-09-2007, 06:47 AM

I shouldn't have to worry about it!!! How many years has this NOT been in schools? Never. Why do we need to start now?

I'm wondering LN,when and if you have a child,and he or she is in school, would it be all right for his teacher to talk about how wrong gay marriage is? Would you still be all for this?

It's not fun having your kid bombarded with opinions from teachers,whom most children look up to and believe whatever they say. My son has come home and told me things a couple of times his teachers said that I didn't agree with. Thankfully,it wasn't anything I would march up to school over. Being a parent these days can be difficult to. Altho we cannot shelter them forever,we want to decide what they hear and when. Why is that so hard to grasp?

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm wondering LN,when and if you have a child,and he or she is in school, would it be all right for his teacher to talk about how wrong gay marriage is? Would you still be all for this?
Ya know, I've had teacher give opinions just like that. Did I throw a fit or it bother me, no. We were discussing issues and teacher do have a right to their opinion. I've had republican history teachers I seriously disagreed and some liberal would claim were spreading misinformation. Did it bug me, no I just disagreed at times and looked stuff up for myself.

glockmail
05-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Oooopppss should have read further....disregard my voice of reason post. :salute:
When have I ever been reasonable? :laugh2:

glockmail
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I'ts indoctrination, .....
Watch out for how far you're willing to give with these people on this topic. They are NOT going to be happy until ALL voices of dissension are silenced, and they have full acceptance to openly practice and TEACH their sickness. Those open minded, free speach liberals again.

krisy
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Ya know, I've had teacher give opinions just like that. Did I throw a fit or it bother me, no. We were discussing issues and teacher do have a right to their opinion. I've had republican history teachers I seriously disagreed and some liberal would claim were spreading misinformation. Did it bug me, no I just disagreed at times and looked stuff up for myself.

That's great. But your almost a legal adult if I remember...your 17 right? By that age,you know about this kind of thing.

I can't remember one time in high school or grade school that a teacher spouted a political opinion,or discussed moral issues. They taught the facts....and that's it. Call me old fashioned,but I don't have to conform because a group of people want to shove something down my throat or my kids'.

Just because it's o.k. with you,doesn't mean that everyone has to like it. Part of the reason this bugs me so much is because it could open doors for all kinds of things to be discussed in schools. How about abortion,drug legalization....do you think grade schoolers can absorb that kind of thing? They aren't ready. They need to be just having fun playing dodgeball. Being kids,and learning how to spell.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Although we cannot shelter them forever, we want to decide what they hear and when. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Just because it's o.k. with you, doesn't mean that everyone has to like it.

How about abortion, drug legalization....do you think grade schoolers can absorb that kind of thing? They aren't ready. They need to be just having fun playing dodgeball. Being kids, and learning how to spell.

Excelent job krisy. You OWN this thread with that. :salute:

Lightning Waltz
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I can't remember one time in high school or grade school that a teacher spouted a political opinion,or discussed moral issues. They taught the facts....and that's it.

Hmmm...I was taught racism was bad in public schools. Same with sexism. Generally, an acceptance of others even though they may look different, come from different cultures or beliefs, etc.

Of course, you probably won't mind these things being taught. If you were white in the South in the 1950-60's, maybe you would, however.

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Hmmm...I was taught racism was bad in public schools. Same with sexism. Generally, an acceptance of others even though they may look different, come from different cultures or beliefs, etc.

Of course, you probably won't mind these things being taught. If you were white in the South in the 1950-60's, maybe you would, however.

What the FUCK does that have to do with teaching LITTLE KIDS about FAGGOT LOVE? You miss the point entirely.

LiberalNation
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
They are teaching them tolerance and discussing a issue. Just because you don't want that for any group you don't like that doesn't mean society feels the same way.

Lightning Waltz
05-09-2007, 01:02 PM
What the FUCK does that have to do with teaching LITTLE KIDS about FAGGOT LOVE? You miss the point entirely.

Actually, I don't think I did. But, considering that you use the term "FAGGOT LOVE", I doubt that we are going to find common ground...

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
They are teaching them tolerance and discussing a issue. Just because you don't want that for any group you don't like that doesn't mean society feels the same way.

They're TOO YOUNG to be talking about homosexuality PERIOD! And what right does the school have to be talking about this at all WITHOUT THE PARENTS PERMISSION to such YOUNG CHILDREN? :slap:

Pale Rider
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, I don't think I did. But, considering that you use the term "FAGGOT LOVE", I doubt that we are going to find common ground...

There's nothing SICK about racism. It's just bad. Homosexuality is a sickness, and teaching young children to accept it is wrong, at ANY age.

lily
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Pale.....I think you just made the case why this should be taught.

krisy
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Pale.....I think you just made the case why this should be taught.

Why? Because he believes it's wrong and Liberals think it's right? Many people believe this is wrong because of their religion. Public schools should have no right to barge in and decide people who don't believe in this are wrong and try to change someone elses beliefs,ones that they are trying to teach their children.

lily
05-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Why? Because he believes it's wrong and Liberals think it's right? Many people believe this is wrong because of their religion. Public schools should have no right to barge in and decide people who don't believe in this are wrong and try to change someone elses beliefs,ones that they are trying to teach their children.
No, Krisy, because of the hatred in his post. After reading your posts and his on this topic, I would conclude that you are right, if you want your child to know about gay marriage you would teach them yourself and I think you would do a darned good job. It's people who hate as Pale's post did that makes me shudder that they are the ones that want to teach their children that the hate should continue.