PDA

View Full Version : 6 charged with plot on Army base in N.J.

82Marine89
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - Six men from the former Yugoslavia were arrested on charges they plotted to attack the Fort Dix Army base and "kill as many soldiers as possible," federal authorities said Tuesday.

The suspects were described as "Islamic radicals," said U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Greg Reinert.

They were scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Camden later Tuesday to face charges of conspiracy to kill U.S. servicemen, said Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in New Jersey. Five of them lived in Cherry Hill, he said.

"They were planning an attack on Fort Dix in which they would kill as many soldiers as possible," Drewniak said.

A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because documents in the case remain sealed, said the attack was stopped in the planning stages.

Authorities believe the men trained in the Poconos for the attack and also conducted surveillance at other area military institutions, including Fort Monmouth, the official said. The official said that the men had lived in the United States for some time.

The six were arrested trying to buy automatic weapons in a sale set-up by law enforcement authorities, the official said.

State Police Capt. Al Della Fave said Tuesday that the investigation had been in the works for about a year. The arrests were first reported by WNBC-TV in New York.

Jerri Williams, spokeswoman for the
FBI in Philadelphia, said U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie and J.P. Weis, special agent in charge of the FBI in Philadelphia, would release further information later Thursday.

Five of suspects lived in Cherry Hill, about 10 miles east of Philadelphia and 20 miles southwest of Fort Dix, Drewniak said.

Fort Dix is used to train soldiers, particularly reservists. In 1999, it sheltered more than 4,000 ethnic Albanian refugees during the
NATO bombing campaign against Yugoslavia.

After that war, refugees were allowed to return to the U.N.-run province of
Kosovo in Serbia or to seek permanent residency in the United States. The
U.N. Security Council is considering whether to approve a plan to grant Kosovo independence from Serbia under the supervision of the
European Union and the United States.

___
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070508/ap_on_re_us/fort_dix_plot

Mr. P
05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
FBI in Philadelphia, said U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie and J.P. Weis, special agent in charge of the FBI in Philadelphia, would release further information later Thursday.
I'm interested in knowing more. Like how much of that pesky Patriot Act did they use to.... OH MY, save lives and catch the bad guys!

:clap: For the FBI and State Police! Job well done!

Monkeybone
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
on msnbc.com Mr. P, it says that they started survilence on them after an 'informant' told them what was a brewing

Kathianne
05-08-2007, 09:21 AM
on msnbc.com Mr. P, it says that they started survilence on them after an 'informant' told them what was a brewing

A photography shop. Seems one of them wanted a transfer of video from one media to another. He recognized a problem with weapons and training, contacted the fbi, which set up year long surveillence.

theHawk
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I can hear the cries already.

'Their Rights were violated! Bush is driving these fine Moslems to attack us on our own soil!'

lily
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm interested in knowing more. Like how much of that pesky Patriot Act did they use to.... OH MY, save lives and catch the bad guys!

Not much according to this article, just an observant store owner.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/13274813/detail...=mainclick

Seems we always catch the dumb ones.:laugh2:

Monkeybone
05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
dumb ones can still kill. but yah..props to the store owner for doing something :salute:

Samantha
05-08-2007, 01:13 PM
It just goes to show, "we have to fight them over there, so they don't come over here" is a huge load of crap. They will come over here anyway. THIS is the REAL war on terror. Invading Iraq and occupying it for 4 years is not the war on terror, that only makes terrorism worse. The war on terror is this; good undercover police and FBI and CIA work. Kinda like what Valerie Plame was doing before the traitors in the US government outted her. This is the war on terror. Well done FBI.

Samantha
05-08-2007, 01:14 PM

'Their Rights were violated! Bush is driving these fine Moslems to attack us on our own soil!'You should get some help for those voices in your head ;)

05-08-2007, 01:49 PM

They are all dumb, so i dont think it can be true that we always catch the dumb ones.

Samantha
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
They are all dumb, so i dont think it can be true that we always catch the dumb ones.The next ones might not be dumb enough to take a video of terrorists training to a store to get it burned on DVD. If the store clerk didn't call the FBI, would the FBI have caught them?

Monkeybone
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
probably not. they would've gotten their martyr wish

05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
It just goes to show, "we have to fight them over there, so they don't come over here" is a huge load of crap. They will come over here anyway. THIS is the REAL war on terror. Invading Iraq and occupying it for 4 years is not the war on terror, that only makes terrorism worse. The war on terror is this; good undercover police and FBI and CIA work. Kinda like what Valerie Plame was doing before the traitors in the US government outted her. This is the war on terror. Well done FBI.

Actually, it doesnt show that at all.

You see terror cells in the US are only a symptom of a greater problem of terrorism. If we want to defeat terrorism we have to cut them off at the source of their funding and cut the regimes that support them down.

Dilloduck
05-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Garbage---there is no way you can honestly substantiate that these guys are a direct or even indirect result of us invading Iraq. :lame2:

Abbey Marie
05-09-2007, 12:57 AM
You should get some help for those voices in your head ;)

The Bush-blaming rhetoric is so whacked out and overdone that it does seem like it must voices in your head. Unfortunately, as it is regularly spouted from the mouths of libs, it is all too real.

Abbey Marie
05-09-2007, 01:00 AM
The next ones might not be dumb enough to take a video of terrorists training to a store to get it burned on DVD. If the store clerk didn't call the FBI, would the FBI have caught them?

The video tape was just the start. How do you think the FBI watched them and gathered evidence for a year before arresting them? Perhaps by, oh no, surveillance!

Samantha
05-09-2007, 01:41 AM

You see terror cells in the US are only a symptom of a greater problem of terrorism. If we want to defeat terrorism we have to cut them off at the source of their funding and cut the regimes that support them down.
Do you think Bush will confront the Saudis? The Saudis are backing the Sunni insurgents in Iraq, as the Iranians are backing the Shias.

Garbage---there is no way you can honestly substantiate that these guys are a direct or even indirect result of us invading Iraq. :lame2:Revenge for the US killing Muslims. It's why there are so many more terror groups and so much more support for Bin Laden than ever before.

The Bush-blaming rhetoric is so whacked out and overdone that it does seem like it must voices in your head. Unfortunately, as it is regularly spouted from the mouths of libs, it is all too real.
Can you quote some? Besides the voices in the right winger's heads?

The video tape was just the start. How do you think the FBI watched them and gathered evidence for a year before arresting them? Perhaps by, oh no, surveillance!Right. Was anyone questioning that? Or was it just another 'head voice'? ;)

Abbey Marie
05-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Do you think Bush will confront the Saudis? The Saudis are backing the Sunni insurgents in Iraq, as the Iranians are backing the Shias.
Revenge for the US killing Muslims. It's why there are so many more terror groups and so much more support for Bin Laden than ever before.

Can you quote some? Besides the voices in the right winger's heads?
Right. Was anyone questioning that? Or was it just another 'head voice'? ;)

Samantha, are you hearing voices? You bring it up so much, I am thinking it must be so.

Ahem. You were the one who claimed the copying of the tape was the reason they caught him, as though there couldn't be any surveillance involved. If you are prepared to admit that the FBI did so much more than just talk to a store clerk, then goody, we are making progress.

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM

The FBI was tipped off by a concerned video clerk. Then the FBI infiltrated the cell.

Good job, FBI...

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:47 PM

'Their Rights were violated! Bush is driving these fine Moslems to attack us on our own soil!'

who said that? got a link or are you just passing gas?

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM

good thing too...

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:50 PM

True... and add to that the fact that these terrorists were not Iraqis... four were from Kosovo, one from Turkey and one from Jordan.

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
You should get some help for those voices in your head ;)

:lol: :laugh2: :lol:

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM

which regime were funding these guys?

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Garbage---there is no way you can honestly substantiate that these guys are a direct or even indirect result of us invading Iraq. :lame2:

I don't think she meant that these guys were somehow connected TO Iraq. More like when bush says we have to fight them there rather than here...

these guys were already here... and they were caught because of good police work...

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:57 PM

The Bush-admiring rhetoric is so whacked out and overdone that it does seem like it must voices in your head. Unfortunately, as it is regularly spouted from the mouths of conservatives, it is all too real.

TheStripey1
05-09-2007, 07:57 PM
The video tape was just the start. How do you think the FBI watched them and gathered evidence for a year before arresting them? Perhaps by, oh no, surveillance!

They INFILTRATED the cell.

Kathianne
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm feeling so enlightened.

lily
05-09-2007, 09:05 PM
You know, I don't want to make light of this subject, but their stupidity astounds me. First they take a training film to have it made into a DVD and the owner turns them in.........but if their brilliant "plot" was to deliver a pizza and then start shooting.....just how far into the base do they think they would have got? Isn't there checkpoints and don't soldiers all carry guns and aren't they all trained to react?

Abbey Marie
05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
The Bush-admiring rhetoric is so whacked out and overdone that it does seem like it must voices in your head. Unfortunately, as it is regularly spouted from the mouths of conservatives, it is all too real.

Well, thank you for copying my post with one inane change. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And also a sign of the inabiltiy to come up with a cogent argument.

Abbey Marie
05-09-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm feeling so enlightened.

:laugh2:

manu1959
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
i just read through this thread.....some people seem rather upset these guys were caught......

lily
05-09-2007, 11:53 PM
i just read through this thread.....some people seem rather upset these guys were caught......

Well, I just got done re-reading this and I don't see anyone upset because these guys were caught. What I do see is a healthy discussion.......would you like to share with the rest of us your amazing powers of observation?

Samantha
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM

You see terror cells in the US are only a symptom of a greater problem of terrorism. If we want to defeat terrorism we have to cut them off at the source of their funding and cut the regimes that support them down.I wish I knew when we would start doing that.

Samantha, are you hearing voices? You bring it up so much, I am thinking it must be so.

Ahem. You were the one who claimed the copying of the tape was the reason they caught him, as though there couldn't be any surveillance involved. If you are prepared to admit that the FBI did so much more than just talk to a store clerk, then goody, we are making progress.I never said anything about surveillance. Why are you making up lies about what I've said? Can you discuss issues without strawmen? Or are you still listening to the voices? ;) Here I am, here is what I am saying. Don't put words into my mouth. It's very rude and very lame.

The clerk alerted the FBI. The FBI investigated for a year. The FBI arrested the terrorists. This is what the article says. This is what I have said.

It's disingenuous and dishonest for you to claim I said there was no surveillance. But you're a Republican right? I should cut you some slack. You and your GOP are known liars and smear campaign lovers.

i just read through this thread.....some people seem rather upset these guys were caught......I haven't seen anyone post that they were upset. Why do you people make up such lies?

Isn't the truth interesting enough for you?

Fountainhead
05-10-2007, 02:41 AM
MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - Six men from the former Yugoslavia were arrested on charges they plotted to attack the Fort Dix Army base and "kill as many soldiers as possible," federal authorities said Tuesday.

The suspects were described as "Islamic radicals," said U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Greg Reinert.

Fort Dix is used to train soldiers, particularly reservists. In 1999, it sheltered more than 4,000 ethnic Albanian refugees during the
NATO bombing campaign against Yugoslavia.

After that war, refugees were allowed to return to the U.N.-run province of
Kosovo in Serbia or to seek permanent residency in the United States. The
U.N. Security Council is considering whether to approve a plan to grant Kosovo independence from Serbia under the supervision of the
European Union and the United States.

___
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070508/ap_on_re_us/fort_dix_plot

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that these despicable TERRORISTS were Ethnic Albanians ... read:Muslims ... who were rescued by the United States during Bill Clinton's Kosovo WAR ?

America SAVED the Islamic people of Kosovo from the mostly-Christian Yugoslavian Serbs

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/10/nyregion/10plot.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

This is how Islam THANKS the United States ?

Methinks they wear their headgear wrapped a little too tight.

And what a load of CRAP to describe these creeps as "from the former Yugoslavia". There aren't many Kosvars who regarded themselves as Yugoslavian. But I guess it sort of sanitizes the obvious ... Islam-still-SUCKS subtext.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 11:38 AM
You know, I don't want to make light of this subject, but their stupidity astounds me. First they take a training film to have it made into a DVD and the owner turns them in.........but if their brilliant "plot" was to deliver a pizza and then start shooting.....just how far into the base do they think they would have got? Isn't there checkpoints and don't soldiers all carry guns and aren't they all trained to react?

A pizza delivery guy with a sticker on his car would not be thoughly searched on entering the post. He would have been checked if there were more than one person in the car.

Most soldiers on military bases are not armed. The weapons are kept in the armory and drawn out only when needed. And most military personel are not infantry troops. The only armed troops would be the MP's and any on security details.

Dilloduck
05-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that these despicable TERRORISTS were Ethnic Albanians ... read:Muslims ... who were rescued by the United States during Bill Clinton's Kosovo WAR ?

America SAVED the Islamic people of Kosovo from the mostly-Christian Yugoslavian Serbs

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/10/nyregion/10plot.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

This is how Islam THANKS the United States ?

Methinks they wear their headgear wrapped a little too tight.

And what a load of CRAP to describe these creeps as "from the former Yugoslavia". There aren't many Kosvars who regarded themselves as Yugoslavian. But I guess it sort of sanitizes the obvious ... Islam-still-SUCKS subtext.

Great point. About time someone pointed that out.

Doniston
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
For the very first time, I see some relation to the war on Terror, all the other times were window dressing. This one might have had legs, but still took a year and a half to bring to charges.

theHawk
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
who said that? got a link or are you just passing gas?

Here's a link: http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=54514&postcount=8

Libs are so predictable :coffee:

theHawk
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Your ignorance is astounding. If the man was a pizza delivery man he could of easily got on base. The only "checkpoint" on base is the gate to get in, and only the guards and Military police "carry guns". All other personell, military or civilian, aren't going to be armed most likely. Its possible a random search could of stopped them, but its entirely possible for a death squad armed with automatic weapons to infiltrate a base. They could of easily overran several homes full of families and slaughtered them before the security forces could get there.

lily
05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
A pizza delivery guy with a sticker on his car would not be thoughly searched on entering the post. He would have been checked if there were more than one person in the car.

Well, I bet they will be now!

Most soldiers on military bases are not armed. The weapons are kept in the armory and drawn out only when needed. And most military personel are not infantry troops. The only armed troops would be the MP's and any on security details.

Thanks, didn't know that. I just seemed to add to their stupidity that they would try to go into an army base, where there are tons of weapons and soldiers and think they would get away with it. I had pictures of swiss cheese running through my head.

lily
05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Your ignorance is astounding.

Why thank you :fu:

If the man was a pizza delivery man he could of easily got on base. The only "checkpoint" on base is the gate to get in, and only the guards and Military police "carry guns". All other personell, military or civilian, aren't going to be armed most likely. Its possible a random search could of stopped them, but its entirely possible for a death squad armed with automatic weapons to infiltrate a base. They could of easily overran several homes full of families and slaughtered them before the security forces could get there.

Yes, gaffer explained it to me, before you did and without the insults.

Gaffer
05-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I bet they will be now!

Thanks, didn't know that. I just seemed to add to their stupidity that they would try to go into an army base, where there are tons of weapons and soldiers and think they would get away with it. I had pictures of swiss cheese running through my head.

Your welcome.

I'm curious how they planned to get a bunch of guys on the base tho, because a pizza delivery guy with more than one person in the car would definately be stopped. I'm also curious about the other four guys that were part of this group. No mention of them. There were ten in the video,